[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ruralavalon »

FRANK2009 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm Finished 3 seasons of "Kingdom". About a father who owns an MMA gym and his two sons. More about family than MMA so even if you're not into MMA you may like it. Highly recommend!
What is "MMA"? There are over 400 meanings for that acronym, link.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:33 pm
FRANK2009 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm Finished 3 seasons of "Kingdom". About a father who owns an MMA gym and his two sons. More about family than MMA so even if you're not into MMA you may like it. Highly recommend!
What is "MMA"? There are over 400 meanings for that acronym, link.
Google "define mma gym" gets some meaningful results. It appears to mean "mixed martial arts gym."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I think I'm on the 15th season of Silent Witness, a British coroner/mystery show. Evidently it's very popular there. Good character development, grisly corpses on the tables, some unlikely behavior (coroners out in the field investigating and putting themselves into dangerous situations with the bad guys), interesting plot twists/forensic investigation, but generally, a good distraction for COVID isolation. With 23 seasons, it has good binging potential.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Finished the “Hunting Hitler” series which was from History Channel. Three seasons. Was on Amazon. Simply makes me wonder.
Last edited by abuss368 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

About an episode or two away from finishing “Ozark” on Netflix. Really good. Fourth and final season should be out soon.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

LilyFleur wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm I think I'm on the 15th season of Silent Witness, a British coroner/mystery show. Evidently it's very popular there. Good character development, grisly corpses on the tables, some unlikely behavior (coroners out in the field investigating and putting themselves into dangerous situations with the bad guys), interesting plot twists/forensic investigation, but generally, a good distraction for COVID isolation. With 23 seasons, it has good binging potential.
On your recommendation and also a NYT review on August 14 I watched S1e1 of Silent Witness on Amazon. It's a well done show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/arts ... e=Homepage

I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch. Episodes are 90 minutes long and S1e1 was slower than I liked. I was aware how long it was! Despite using closed-captioning, the brit-speak is a bit difficult. I've watch a lot of British shows and movies so I don't think its entirely me.

Again, well done!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Silent Witness getting a lot of shout outs on College Confidential Binge Watch thread right now also. Hmmm.

FWIW, I watched about a dozen seasons, and liked it, but it went off the boil for me.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I couldn't get into Silent Witness and didn't understand all the hoopla around the show. I admit that I'm picky when it comes to anything related to law enforcement.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
shavenyak

Post by shavenyak »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:36 pm About an episode or two away from finishing “Ozark” on Netflix. Really good. Fourth and final season should be out soon.
Fwiw, fourth and final season shooting is scheduled to begin, Covid permitting, in October. Possibly looking at a fourth season in mid to late 2021.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Endeavour (quality detective series) and Dark (Stephen King favorite SciFi)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We are rewatching The Big Bang Theory in reruns on cable, and enjoying it again.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

What is "MMA"? There are over 400 meanings for that acronym

My apologies...MMA does indeed stand for mixed martial arts. Very popular at the moment.
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

Netflix’s Street Food. Loved both seasons.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 am We are really enjoying "Maigret"... the setting, and especially much of the conversation, and of course, Michael Gambon.
I saw this quite a few years ago. I remember it as being quite good. I see it can be streamed on Britbox so will add it to my list. Thanks for pointing it out.
About four episodes in. Enjoying it a second time. It's been so long I don't remember the plots so everything is new!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:23 am
bertilak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 am We are really enjoying "Maigret"... the setting, and especially much of the conversation, and of course, Michael Gambon.
I saw this quite a few years ago. I remember it as being quite good. I see it can be streamed on Britbox so will add it to my list. Thanks for pointing it out.
About four episodes in. Enjoying it a second time. It's been so long I don't remember the plots so everything is new!
We just finished the "Maigret" series with Gambon.
Although Simenon wrote a *lot*, there are ony 12 episodes (I think?) in this particular TV series, unfortunately.

We've decided to start the "Poirot" series again, the one with David Suchet. It's been quite a while since we viewed these.
Suchet became "THE" Poirot for me. And the first time that I remember seeing him in another role, it was really, really difficult not to keep thinking about Poirot rather than whatever character he was actually playing at the time.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 am Suchet became "THE" Poirot for me.
Definately! I think Suchet will own that role for a long time to come.

The various non-Suchet versions I have seen really mess up the Poirot character. The Peter Ustinov, Albert Finney, and Kenneth Branagh characterizations come to mind. I wonder why they even try. I'm not (just) comparing to Suchet's work but to the books. I guess they are hunting for ways to make their Poirot stand out but it's like trying to remake Columbo without Peter Falk!

Other versions have another problem besides missing Suchet. They try to improve upon Christie by, for example, making the stories grittier, or adding irrelevant sub-plots or back-stories (e.g. The ABC Murders). The Branagh Orient Express version was way too dependent on CGI. It was almost a cartoon!
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

heartwood wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:28 am
LilyFleur wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm I think I'm on the 15th season of Silent Witness, a British coroner/mystery show. Evidently it's very popular there. Good character development, grisly corpses on the tables, some unlikely behavior (coroners out in the field investigating and putting themselves into dangerous situations with the bad guys), interesting plot twists/forensic investigation, but generally, a good distraction for COVID isolation. With 23 seasons, it has good binging potential.
On your recommendation and also a NYT review on August 14 I watched S1e1 of Silent Witness on Amazon. It's a well done show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/arts ... e=Homepage

I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch. Episodes are 90 minutes long and S1e1 was slower than I liked. I was aware how long it was! Despite using closed-captioning, the brit-speak is a bit difficult. I've watch a lot of British shows and movies so I don't think its entirely me.

Again, well done!
I've watched the first two episodes of Season 1 and am trying to like it, despite the slow pace. So far, I don't find the characters that interesting or likable, particularly compared with Midsomer Murders (which I thought was exceptional). There are a lot of unpleasant main characters and dysfunctional relationships--both family and workplace--in Silent Witness. They don't seem as captivating as those in Marcella, for example. And I guessed the villain early in Episode 2, which doesn't usually happen. I think I'll try a few more episodes to see if the characters grow on me. In general, I don't find it appealing when characters try to appear strong by being rude or insulting, unless there's some clever humor involved (like House, MD).
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Add me as another huge fan of Kingdom that is now on Netflix. It is simply one of the best shows I've seen in years and I'm not even a huge MMA fan. I'm just over 1/2 through season 2 and I hope they bring it back for a 4th season as has been recently rumored.

Nick Jonas (of the Jonas Brothers) may be the most recognizable name among the regular cast, but Jonathan Tucker that plays Jay is by a long shot the best and most interesting character on the show.
Last edited by topper1296 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

I’m watching House. Almost done season 1
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

The Last Narc on Amazon Prime Video. Whoa...really intense and disturbing! It's a documentary that consists of four 45 minute episodes that dive into the murder of DEA Agent Kiki Camarena. Highly recommend...it had me thinking about it well after it ended.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Night Manager, on Amazon prime. A BBC action / drama / suspense mini-series. A hotel manager becomes a British spy. Very good acting, it did indeed keep me in suspense.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RogerWilco

Post by RogerWilco »

Cobra Kai - now on Netflix. Great for 80s nostalgia.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Watching the first seasons of both Ozark (Netflix) and Westworld (HBO). I had seen the first one or two episodes when both shows first came out, but got busy with other stuff and never came back. Enjoying both.

My wife and I watched the first episode of Mrs. America with Cate Blanchet as Phyllis Schlafly. I used to work in Alton, Illinois where the show takes place. Very good so far. (On FX, but watching via AppleTV.)
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I watched the first episode of Raised by Wolves on HBO Max. It's a sci-fi theme.
It's been much hyped and just premiered yesterday with the first 3 episodes. The first two of those are credited as directed by Ridley Scott.
I may not have the details straight yet, but the plot basis is atheists and religious groups fighting on earth have devastated it. Each has sent a ship to populate a new planet. First to arrive are two androids, Mother and Father, and a number of human embryos. The AIs birth and raise the children supposedly as atheists.
The religious group is the Mithraic. No details of their beliefs in the first episode. The name itself is similar to an ancient Roman sect. (I googled the name.)
Years after the atheists arrive, the religious group ship arrives and meets the atheists on the planet. Action ensues.
So far not preachy for either group. I'll watch the 2nd episode, but so far I'm not impressed.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

I just finished a mini series "Self Made". It is about the first self made female millionaire in the USA. She is a black woman who developed beauty products for her race. Very interesting. On Netflix.

Best wishes,
Lily
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Finished "Virgin River" season 1 recently.

Very entertaining.

Ed
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Raised By Wolves on HBO Max.--Really good sci-fi.

The Boys Season 2 on Amazon Prime Video--Gory and violent but really good.

Cobra Kai on Netflix--Very Nostalgic. Loved it.
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:57 am I watched the first episode of Raised by Wolves on HBO Max. It's a sci-fi theme.
It's been much hyped and just premiered yesterday with the first 3 episodes. The first two of those are credited as directed by Ridley Scott.
I may not have the details straight yet, but the plot basis is atheists and religious groups fighting on earth have devastated it. Each has sent a ship to populate a new planet. First to arrive are two androids, Mother and Father, and a number of human embryos. The AIs birth and raise the children supposedly as atheists.
The religious group is the Mithraic. No details of their beliefs in the first episode. The name itself is similar to an ancient Roman sect. (I googled the name.)
Years after the atheists arrive, the religious group ship arrives and meets the atheists on the planet. Action ensues.
So far not preachy for either group. I'll watch the 2nd episode, but so far I'm not impressed.
Very good so far.

It's definitely not for people with short attention spans.
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

lostdog wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:19 am
heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:57 am I watched the first episode of Raised by Wolves on HBO Max. It's a sci-fi theme.
Very good so far.

It's definitely not for people with short attention spans.
I watched the 2nd episode yesterday and found it much better and will watch more.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Giri/Haji a detective series on Netflix based in Tokyo and London. Fearless a detective series based in London.
Both excellent. I think Fearless was on Amazon. Both have one season.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Capsu78 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 am Have enjoyed the new Netflix series "Giri /Haji" (Duty /Shame). It begins with the basic Organized Crime formula involving mobsters, gangsters, rival families vs Good cops, compromised cops and dirty cops and wives and kids on both sides of the script. Plenty of shoot outs, executions and general mayhem in every episode.

It opens in Tokyo, so yes (high quality) subtitles are involved. But before that becomes a deal breaker for you, the plot weaves its way to London where it becomes a largely English script.

As I worked my way through the 8 episodes, I was impressed at how cohesive the plot line held together between the characters in both Tokyo and London. The cultural differences between the various mob families and how they ...um... conduct business shows a rich diversity that is very cleverly presented in this series. The banter was witty and many of the characters who are developed each have flaws, but end up very likable by the end of season 1. (Can't tell if there will be another season). The multiple language issues even become part of the script in a clever way.

The filming even delves into some artsy-fartsy Japanese crossover style at a few points. Without needing a spoiler alert, I can guarantee you have never seen a mob movie presented and choreographed as this one is in the last few minutes of the series. I'll end my tease by saying you will love the ending or hate it.
Great review.Just finished it.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Narcos Mexico” on Netflix. Really good and enjoying it.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

just finished The 100 on netflix, except for season 6 and a lot of season 5 it was a GREAT show.... now starting "Away" on Netflix
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:46 pm “Narcos Mexico” on Netflix. Really good and enjoying it.
I enjoyed it as well and thought it was very well done. :happy
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Ricola wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:21 am Endeavour (quality detective series) and Dark (Stephen King favorite SciFi)
We just started Endeavour last night. We thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes, so we'll keep going. I think I got the referral from this post, so thank you!

Finished the first four seasons of Line of Duty a few nights ago and are hoping for season 5 to show up on Amazon Prime with the first four seasons.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

RogerWilco wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm Cobra Kai - now on Netflix. Great for 80s nostalgia.
GREAT show!!! Just saw an article saying it is better than Stranger things, which I havent seen but apparently it won some awards
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:46 pm “Narcos Mexico” on Netflix. Really good and enjoying it.
Watched this last month.Excellent.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

I started to watch “The Family” on Netflix. The highest levels of power in our government and society. Very interesting.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

hoops777 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 am Have enjoyed the new Netflix series "Giri /Haji" (Duty /Shame). It begins with the basic Organized Crime formula involving mobsters, gangsters, rival families vs Good cops, compromised cops and dirty cops and wives and kids on both sides of the script. Plenty of shoot outs, executions and general mayhem in every episode.

It opens in Tokyo, so yes (high quality) subtitles are involved. But before that becomes a deal breaker for you, the plot weaves its way to London where it becomes a largely English script.

As I worked my way through the 8 episodes, I was impressed at how cohesive the plot line held together between the characters in both Tokyo and London. The cultural differences between the various mob families and how they ...um... conduct business shows a rich diversity that is very cleverly presented in this series. The banter was witty and many of the characters who are developed each have flaws, but end up very likable by the end of season 1. (Can't tell if there will be another season). The multiple language issues even become part of the script in a clever way.

The filming even delves into some artsy-fartsy Japanese crossover style at a few points. Without needing a spoiler alert, I can guarantee you have never seen a mob movie presented and choreographed as this one is in the last few minutes of the series. I'll end my tease by saying you will love the ending or hate it.
Great review. Just finished it.
Glad you enjoyed it! if you like organized crime plots, you may want to give "ZeroZeroZero" a peek. Also well done, but for different reasons...great cinematography
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Capsu78 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:22 pm
hoops777 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 pm

Great review. Just finished it.
Glad you enjoyed it! if you like organized crime plots, you may want to give "ZeroZeroZero" a peek. Also well done, but for different reasons...great cinematography
I almost watched it a month ago. I will give it a shot.
Currently watching Borgen about the first female prime minister in Denmark. Excellent. I checked Rotten Tomatoes and it had a 100 score from critics and 99 from viewers.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

hoops777 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:55 pm
Watched this last month.Excellent.
Phenomenal show. I even like it better than the original Narcos (Columbia).
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Crown, in Netflix.

We have seen the first 8 episodes, and like it. This is the story of Queen Elizabeth of the U.K.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We spent all day yesterday on the couch and binged both Cobra Kai and Away on Netflix. I'd recommend both.
hale2

Post by hale2 »

Money Heist on Netflix. Outstanding, especially the first 2 seasons.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cobra Kai, on Netflix. So far, I watched the first 2 episodes. Not bad. All I can think of is "Wax on, wax off", from the original Karate Kid movie.

As for The Night Manager (Amazon prime), I agree with others that this was an excellent series and hoped they would continue with another season.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 am Cobra Kai, on Netflix. So far, I watched the first 2 episodes. Not bad. All I can think of is "Wax on, wax off", from the original Karate Kid movie.

As for The Night Manager (Amazon prime), I agree with others that this was an excellent series and hoped they would continue with another season.
I can't believe how much I'm enjoying "Cobra Kai". My spouse had to convince me to watch it but I think it's really quite fun.

Fans of "Night Manager" should try "Little Drummer Girl". It was made by the same network based on another Le Carre novel. I haven't watched it personally, but I think the book would definitely translate into an interesting show. Plus Michael Shannon's in it.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I'm watching the Kominsky Method on Netflix. It's about an aging acting teacher and his friend and agent as they deal with some of the difficulties of getting older. Really great show and cast. Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin, Nancy Travis. Well written and darkly funny.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:34 am
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 am Cobra Kai, on Netflix. So far, I watched the first 2 episodes. Not bad. All I can think of is "Wax on, wax off", from the original Karate Kid movie.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying "Cobra Kai". My spouse had to convince me to watch it but I think it's really quite fun.

Fans of "Night Manager" should try "Little Drummer Girl". It was made by the same network based on another Le Carre novel. I haven't watched it personally, but I think the book would definitely translate into an interesting show. Plus Michael Shannon's in it.
Cobra Kai is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

DW and I finished "The Missing" on Netflix, or maybe Prime. Lots of twists and turns, but liked the characters. Jumps back and forth to different timelines but held our interest through the last minutes.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Finished "The Shield- an FX cop series about 15 years ago. On Hulu. Same writer as Sons of Anarchy. I liked it, but it has similar flavor to SOA. I was glad to finish it, the end was good but the series was becoming a bit tiring.

Watched "Young Wallendar" on Netflix. Only one season out A rookie Wallendar although set in present day. Set in Sweden but British show. Thought it was very good.

That motivated me to Watch Wallendar. I'm watching on Prime via Brit Box. Pretty interesting show. Long mostly self contained episodes, almost like movies.

I briefly tried the original Swedish version of Wallendar w subtitles but gave up on it. Much more basic production value. Not nearly as brooding as the English version.