[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

protagonist wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:24 am I loved Succession. (4.5/5) DW couldn't get through the first episode. Chacun a son gout.
we have watched it, as one does a train wreck. Some good acting and some crummy acting.
I couldn't get through the first episode of Schitt.(0/5)
Billions is fantastic but, IMHO, headed downhill. The shifting alliances and ethics are incredulous. I liked it way better when battle lines were clearly drawn. Enough that I could suspend belief that the DA's wife was working for his arch enemy. Now it's getting silly.NOW it’s getting silly??? DA’s wife was better on Sons of Anarchy, and that’s not saying much. Damian Lewis is, well, close miked; his idea of acting is to get very breathy. It’s fun to see Paul Giamatti chew the scenery
We both like Peaky Blinders a lot, even DW who is not usually drawn to that sort of thing (4.5/5). Accents can be challenging at times.we sometimes watch with subtitles on.
I also want to watch Unorthodox based on things I hear...another rationale for a Netflix trial.If you like it, watch SHTISEL.
Homeland is pretty engaging but Claire Danes is an awful actor and the plot line gets rather incredulous
(3/5)The best thing about Homeland IMO is the SNL spoof where Claire Danes gets spacey and jazz plays and she stumbles around looking for Brady (name?). I DO NOT get the fascination with her as an actor. She must have script/casting approval because attractive guys always seem willing to risk their lives to “get with her.” “ I WOULD NOT, COULD NOT IN A TREE. NOT IN A CAR!

What do people think of Tiger King? I've heard everything from great to awful.A couple of episodes was enough for us. Those people, and I mean all of them, are strange. Add 1 to reasons I don’t care to live in Florida.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 am I DO NOT get the fascination with her as an actor. She must have script/casting approval because attractive guys always seem willing to risk their lives to “get with her.”
You hit the nail on the head. It is the ONE AND ONLY thing that she does very well on screen.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

MDfan wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:09 am
protagonist wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:24 am
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:18 am
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:36 am FWIW, I couldn't get past the first episode of Shitts Creek, either. I also stopped watching The Wire at Season 3.
Shitts Creek, The Wire, West Wing, and Billions are critically acclaimed shows I just can’t watch.
That's interesting.

As mentioned, we *hated* "Schitt's Creek" (as in, it was painful and annoying to watch) and we never bothered trying "The Wire".
But we both very much enjoyed "West Wing".
And now we are both eagerly awaiting the next season of "Billions" (although it seems to have lost a bit as the seasons went on, as happens to many series who seem to overstay their welcome a bit).

We expected to enjoy "Succession", thinking it might be somewhat similar to "Billions".
Nope: "Succession" was dreadful. The characters and the acting were, uh, not enjoyable, and I don't even remember the plot. As with "Schitt's Creek", we made it through the first episode, just barely, and then tried the second, but gave up.

We have too many other ways to spend our time than "trying hard to like something that others like", etc.

RM
I loved Succession. (4.5/5) DW couldn't get through the first episode. Chacun a son gout.
I couldn't get through the first episode of Schitt.(0/5)
Billions is fantastic but, IMHO, headed downhill. The shifting alliances and ethics are incredulous. I liked it way better when battle lines were clearly drawn. Enough that I could suspend belief that the DA's wife was working for his arch enemy. Now it's getting silly.
DW and I both enjoyed Watchmen (4/5)
Just watched Plot Against America on HBO Go. Miniseries (6 episodes)- what if?- Lindbergh beats FDR in 1940 election. Very timely. We both liked it.
The Expanse is very good sci-fi (4/5). Not quite as good as Farscape or Firefly but almost.
Black Mirror is fantastic at its best and pretty good at its worst (diff. episodes, diff.writers)
We both like Peaky Blinders a lot, even DW who is not usually drawn to that sort of thing (4.5/5). Accents can be challenging at times.
I just found Shameless this winter and am surprised I never found it before. (4.5/5). Hilarious. It is what Schitt is not. Yes, I do enjoy gutter humor- any humor actually when it is funny. Sadly I watched 2 seasons on Netflix in an airbnb and now that I am home I have no Netflix. I might get it just for this during the pandemic.
I also want to watch Unorthodox based on things I hear...another rationale for a Netflix trial.
Homeland is pretty engaging but Claire Danes is an awful actor and the plot line gets rather incredulous (3/5)
Barry (4/5)
Bosch (4/5)
Stranger Things (4.5/5)
Westworld started out great....getting a bit tiring.

What do people think of Tiger King? I've heard everything from great to awful.

The Wire is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. Up there with Breaking Bad and the Sopranos.
Agree, agree and agree. Put Deadwood and Farscape on that list. GOT would be at the top were it not for the dreadful last season.
I still get off on Car 54 Where Are You? on Youtube. Great theme song too. Some things are timeless.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Shameless and Schitt's Creek are completely different shows. Not even remotely the same. Both are very good, although if I had to pick one to watch, it would be Shameless. Still good even after 10 seasons.

Yes, completely different, but similar in that they both rely on reducing life to the lowest common denominator for laughs.
The huge difference in my mind is that Shameless is hilarious, whereas Schitt relies on the premise that a dirty word is fundamentally funny.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We are watching Fauda season 3. 80% through it. I give it a 7/10. A lot of action. Series is about anti-terrorism in Israel. Subtitled.

We are also watching Below the Surface season 1. 1 episode left. I'd give that a 8/10. Terrorists kidnap people on a subway in Denmark. Subtitles (though approx. 25% is in English).

After that I am moving on to Bosch season 6 and Ozark season 3.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

protagonist wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:38 am
Shameless and Schitt's Creek are completely different shows. Not even remotely the same. Both are very good, although if I had to pick one to watch, it would be Shameless. Still good even after 10 seasons.

Yes, completely different, but similar in that they both rely on reducing life to the lowest common denominator for laughs.
The huge difference in my mind is that Shameless is hilarious, whereas Schitt relies on the premise that a dirty word is fundamentally funny.
We watched a little bit of Shameless, but it just got old because the laughs are simply because everybody in the show is a horrible person. We found Schitt's Creek clever and the characters odd but likable. Shameless, not so much
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

moshe wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:43 am
bertilak wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:44 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:13 pm We also tried "Schitt's Creek", and absolutely *hated* it. We tried a second episode, but couldn't even finish it.
It was one of the worst things we've "tried" to watch in a very long time.
I'm with you on this one! I don't think we finished the first episode.
Agreed. Was sophomoric, and cringe worthy.
"Sophomoric" is exactly why I like it. I love sophomoric (Animal House, Caddyshack, Superbad, the Hangover, every Judd Apatow movie).
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Are there that many "dirty words" on Schitt's Creek? I mean, it's a basic cable show. Speaking of dirty words, did you watch "Veep?" Because that was dirty as hell and one of the funniest shows on TV before it ended.
billy269

Post by billy269 »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 am
billy269 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 pm Strongly recommend Breeders on FX and Hulu. Martin Freeman is fantastic. The first episode wasn't that great, but have loved it since! Hilarious British humor with the challenge of raising children.
Tried to watch this and I couldn't understand a word they were saying.
English accent. Watch it with closed captions, makes it way better!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

billy269 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:41 pm
stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 am
billy269 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 pm Strongly recommend Breeders on FX and Hulu. Martin Freeman is fantastic. The first episode wasn't that great, but have loved it since! Hilarious British humor with the challenge of raising children.
Tried to watch this and I couldn't understand a word they were saying.
English accent. Watch it with closed captions, makes it way better!
Watched first episode (with subtitles) and liked it a lot... Only problem is too frequent use of the f word in front of kids, and that will turn off my wife so I will watch this one on my own.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

MDfan wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Are there that many "dirty words" on Schitt's Creek? I mean, it's a basic cable show. Speaking of dirty words, did you watch "Veep?" Because that was dirty as hell and one of the funniest shows on TV before it ended.
The point I was trying to make is not that I have a problem with dirty words. I don't. I use them myself, fairly liberally, and certainly there is a huge amount of obscenity on Shameless, which as I said, I like a lot. The diff. in my mind is using obscenity or depravity gratuitously for laughs (in my mind NOT funny), vs. using it (or any other language or situation) in a context that is intrinsically funny (somebody else used Animal House as an example of the latter and I concur). I don't evaluate art on the basis of whether it is lowbrow or highbrow....they can both be art or they can both be terrible.

I also acknowledge that I barely got through one episode of Schitt, so I admit my critique may be unfair.

A lot of people liked Veep. I watched one episode and couldn't get into it. I admit I may be wrong about that one given what others say about it....maybe if I gave it more of a chance.....
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Delete
Last edited by hoops777 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hoops777 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:52 am I watched the last 3 episodes of Homeland last night. Spoiler alert if you have not watched it yet.
I liked the final little twist at the end. It was pure Carrie and a fitting way to end the series.
The huge elephant in the room that almost ruined the finale was this. How does a super spy,who a week earlier was a fugitive evading arrest,being charged with the murder of the president and multiple others,be allowed to roam completely free while awaiting trial ? Oh well.
We've been slowly starting Homeland over the last month. We're about halfway through season 2. Don't particularly like Claire Danes (or Damien Lewis) but pretty interesting so far. No more spoilers.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Lost in Space" season 2 on Netflix. Enjoying it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Gunsmoke....watch it every night.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

anyone watching "After Life" by Ricky Gervais? it's really good.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Loon11 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:21 pm anyone watching "After Life" by Ricky Gervais? it's really good.
The missus and I have watched the first two seasons. A kinder gentler Gervais.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Ricola

What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Ricola »

The latest season of BOSCH on Amazon Prime.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3502248/

[moved from What movie have you recently watched? - admin alex]
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Admire his imagination.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just finished season 3 of Fauda- I found it excellent and compelling. I read that the rights holders are rumored to be writing a season 4, but production is out of the question until the Wuhan Death Cooties are no longer in the news.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just finished Season 3 of Ozark. All I can say is that everyone told me to watch it to the very end. Wow, they were right.

There's a lot of internet conjecture for Season 4, but Netflix hasn't committed anything.

Next up, Bosch Season 6.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

JBTX wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 pm
stoptothink wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:59 pm
simpleliving1 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 am
JBTX wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:49 am
simpleliving1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Watching new season right now, loving it, it is light, short and you can pick it up where you left off. On the serious drama side, I am watching THE WIRE and every week one episode of Better Call Saul.

Also, Just finished watching new season of Ozark did not like this season as much as first three seasons.
Watching current season of Better call Saul. So far so good. The pace of the show is very slow but really well done. It is unlike any others that I can think of

Funny you mentioned the Wire. I just started rewatching it last night. Ive run out of everything else that looks vaguely interesting. It has been a long time since I watched it. Only a few shows in but it is really good. Rather amazing when you look at all the actors on that show and their follow up careers. While the theme can be quite depressing I laugh out loud several times an episode in the first season. Great characters. Really great show.

Also watching Devs. Interesting Sci fi theme conceptually, enough to make the show worth watching. But there are some basic things that happen from time to time that are just really stupid, but they are infrequent enough to look past so far.

Plowing through most recent episodes of homeland. Pretty much business as usual - interesting geopolitical plot lines if you get past the craziness of a bipolar CIA agent, a former CIA chief running around the middle east engaging in misadventures and the humanization of the head of the Taliban.
During The Wire rewatch even I was thinking the same how most of the cast end up having very successful careers. IF you have not seen Power I will recommend that too.
We've tried to watch "The Wire" a few times, can't get past the first episode. People say you have to power through the first few episodes, but we haven't been able to. It's definitely up my alley genre wise. "Power", we watched the 1st season, but it was IMO really cheesy and not believable.
Not everyone will like every show and that one may not be for you. But the first time I watched it I think I gave up in first season, then later went back and tried again. I think you have to become invested in the characters, which is true for most shows. Once you do its more interesting. I'm enjoying the first season much more this time around since I'm familiar with the characters.

Also, what really helped a lot the first or second time I watched it, many years ago, they had added some commentary at the end of the show from the creator which gave it some useful and informational background context. I don't know if that is available on any of the sites.

There have been a few series that I've had to plow through a good part of a season to really get hooked. This was one of them. Hell on wheels was another. I literally gave up 4 episodes in the first time. Quite a bit later went back and pushed through it and really liked the show.
Update:

Finished the wire. Liked it as much as first time. I'd rate the seasons in the following order, starting with best:3,1,5,4,2. But they are all good. I'd give 3 = 5/5, 2 and 4 =4/5, the others 4.5.

Finished Homeland. OK, as mentioned above, but I actually though the series finale was very good, if not a bit convoluted and implausible. 3/5

Finished Devs. The plot was meh, the the Sci fi theme was very interesting. 3/5

The plot against America. 6 episodes, the first two I had to work to get through, but episode 3 and forward it became much more interesting. 3.5/5

Going through last season of Westworld. Previously watched season 1 and 2. Season 1 was awful. You keep watching these scenes of robot humans doing their programmed routine set in an old west setting over and over and over again, while you are supposed to be watching for little tidbits that the robots are humanizing, but if you are like me you'll get so bored you will miss anything important. DW hated too, and refused to watch 2 or 3. Season 2 somewhat more interesting but still convoluted. Season 3, set in the regular world, is a bit more interesting. For the most part you only need a bit of background to start straight into 3. Not done, but season 3 is shaping up as maybe 3/5.

Bosch - pretty much consistent with prior seasons. Solid. I'd say 3.5-4 / 5. Great scenery at times, good at creating a southern California vibe. I love the drums on the opening theme.

Ozarks season 3, previously mentioned, I'd say 4, maybe 4.5. Other seasons maybe 4.

Better call Saul - finished last season. Slow and deliberately paced. Excellent characters. Plot can be a bit slow. Lots of attention to cinematography, and they capture certain moments in a contemplative (can't think of a better word?) way. Overall I'd say 4/5. Same with prior seasons.
Last edited by JBTX on Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

We are watching a British series on Netflix called The Repair Shop. It is such a NICE diversion from the gruel of the current topics in the world. Brits are so polite to one another and I am so glad there are people in this world who are very smart in this way. I'm also glad to see people treasure family heirlooms.

I am not a saver of anything and have never felt nostalgia for much of any object. This makes me rethink the importance of family history.

Check it out if you want to see joyful people.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Killing Eve. Not everyone is gonna like this one, but I think it's wonderful.

Chernobyl mini-series. It was great.

Better Call Saul. Can't get enough of this show. I'm a sucker for characters that make a slow descent into criminality, and this show does it extremely well. They also have to thread several plot needles, because the show must end (sadly, next year) in a way that is consistent with the things we already know from Breaking Bad.

Good Girls. This season was abruptly truncated because they had to stop filming due to coronavirus. I sure hope it continues.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

mrsbetsy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm We are watching a British series on Netflix called The Repair Shop. It is such a NICE diversion from the gruel of the current topics in the world. Brits are so polite to one another and I am so glad there are people in this world who are very smart in this way. I'm also glad to see people treasure family heirlooms.

I am not a saver of anything and have never felt nostalgia for much of any object. This makes me rethink the importance of family history.

Check it out if you want to see joyful people.
Love the show. Seems only the first two seasons are on Netflix but there are 2 or 3 more seasons potentially available. I hope Netflix puts them all on!

After they repair something they usually ask the owner something like "What would your great grandmother say if she could see it back in its original state?" Last show I watched the owner answered something like "She would be really pleased with the work you have done but I think it would be better if it never went through the intermediate stage!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

11.22.63 on Hulu. It is only 7 or 8 episodes in total and I will finish tonight. It is ok.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Anyone watching "Charitie at War" on Netflix about a major German hospital in Berlin during WW2. Interesting story about how they fought the Nazi regime. All subtitled unfortunately. This is the second season. The first was set in 1888.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just started the first 2 episodes of Normal People on Hulu Original. Adaptation from a NYT best selling book from 2018.
Finding the lead characters have a lot of chemistry and a series my wife really likes so far. Takes place in multiple places in Ireland. It takes a couple of minutes to get used to the accents, but seeing the series is getting a lot of buzz in the UK.
Thumbs up and looking at a couple of actors that may be big stars in a few years.
simpleliving1

Post by simpleliving1 »

simpleliving1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:10 am Kim's Convenience, on Netflix.

Season 4 now available, great show, watched 2 episodes :D .
Watching new season right now, loving it, it is light, short and you can pick it up where you left off. On the serious drama side, I am watching THE WIRE and every week one episode of Better Call Saul.

Also, Just finished watching new season of Ozark did not like this season as much as first three seasons.
Watching current season of Better call Saul. So far so good. The pace of the show is very slow but really well done. It is unlike any others that I can think of

Funny you mentioned the Wire. I just started rewatching it last night. Ive run out of everything else that looks vaguely interesting. It has been a long time since I watched it. Only a few shows in but it is really good. Rather amazing when you look at all the actors on that show and their follow up careers. While the theme can be quite depressing I laugh out loud several times an episode in the first season. Great characters. Really great show.

Also watching Devs. Interesting Sci fi theme conceptually, enough to make the show worth watching. But there are some basic things that happen from time to time that are just really stupid, but they are infrequent enough to look past so far.

Plowing through most recent episodes of homeland. Pretty much business as usual - interesting geopolitical plot lines if you get past the craziness of a bipolar CIA agent, a former CIA chief running around the middle east engaging in misadventures and the humanization of the head of the Taliban.
During The Wire rewatch even I was thinking the same how most of the cast end up having very successful careers. IF you have not seen Power I will recommend that too.
We've tried to watch "The Wire" a few times, can't get past the first episode. People say you have to power through the first few episodes, but we haven't been able to. It's definitely up my alley genre wise. "Power", we watched the 1st season, but it was IMO really cheesy and not believable.
I started watching Money Heist on Netflix. It's ok so far had high hopes after reading reviews. If you have not seen Better Call Saul i would recommend it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm in the midst of Bosch Season 6 and I can't say how much I enjoy the Dragnet style dialog.

As for The Wire, I couldn't get past the first 3 seasons and simply lost interest.

Mentioned earlier, Devs will be next. It also was recommended on my favorite computer security podcast, Security Now!, Steve Gibson. Although I don't like everything he recommends, they are definitely worth checking out. Halt and Catch Fire, along with Firefly, were a few recommendations that I thought were excellent.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I am rewatching all of the various Star Treks. Reliving my youth!
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Looking for a suggestion..... funny would be great . We liked Kim's Convenience, Brooklyn 99, and schitts Creek recently. Thanks!!!!!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

BashDash wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am Looking for a suggestion..... funny would be great . We liked Kim's Convenience, Brooklyn 99, and schitts Creek recently. Thanks!!!!!
Lillyhammer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Capsu78 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:43 am
BashDash wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am Looking for a suggestion..... funny would be great . We liked Kim's Convenience, Brooklyn 99, and schitts Creek recently. Thanks!!!!!
Lillyhammer
Parks & Rec is a classic that you can watch over and over. Overall, IMO it is a better show than The Office (which goes downhill after Steve Carell leaves).
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Anyone who loved The Wire should watch The Chi on Showtime. And updated version set in Chicago. Reminds me of home.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Now working our way through season 7 of Criminal Minds, after starting with season 1 just prior to the social distancing and WFH mandates.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:56 am Anyone who loved The Wire should watch The Chi on Showtime. And updated version set in Chicago. Reminds me of home.
The wire was fantastic, I'll have to check this out. I don't have Showtime but I think Amazon Prime Video lets you access Showtime/HBO, etc.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Just finished the last season of Bosch
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

We really enjoyed Upload on Amazon. Somewhat similar to the Good Place (NBC show). Very original concept and a fun, easy watch.

Also watched the first season of Homecoming on Amazon and thought it was just ok. Doubt I'll watch the new season which has been getting very mediocre reviews.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

JBTX wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:44 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Not everyone will like every show and that one may not be for you. But the first time I watched it I think I gave up in first season, then later went back and tried again. I think you have to become invested in the characters, which is true for most shows. Once you do its more interesting. I'm enjoying the first season much more this time around since I'm familiar with the characters.

Also, what really helped a lot the first or second time I watched it, many years ago, they had added some commentary at the end of the show from the creator which gave it some useful and informational background context. I don't know if that is available on any of the sites.

There have been a few series that I've had to plow through a good part of a season to really get hooked. This was one of them. Hell on wheels was another. I literally gave up 4 episodes in the first time. Quite a bit later went back and pushed through it and really liked the show.
Update:

Finished the wire. Liked it as much as first time. I'd rate the seasons in the following order, starting with best:3,1,5,4,2. But they are all good. I'd give 3 = 5/5, 2 and 4 =4/5, the others 4.5.

Finished Homeland. OK, as mentioned above, but I actually though the series finale was very good, if not a bit convoluted and implausible. 3/5

Finished Devs. The plot was meh, the the Sci fi theme was very interesting. 3/5

The plot against America. 6 episodes, the first two I had to work to get through, but episode 3 and forward it became much more interesting. 3.5/5

Going through last season of Westworld. Previously watched season 1 and 2. Season 1 was awful. You keep watching these scenes of robot humans doing their programmed routine set in an old west setting over and over and over again, while you are supposed to be watching for little tidbits that the robots are humanizing, but if you are like me you'll get so bored you will miss anything important. DW hated too, and refused to watch 2 or 3. Season 2 somewhat more interesting but still convoluted. Season 3, set in the regular world, is a bit more interesting. For the most part you only need a bit of background to start straight into 3. Not done, but season 3 is shaping up as maybe 3/5.

Bosch - pretty much consistent with prior seasons. Solid. I'd say 3.5-4 / 5. Great scenery at times, good at creating a southern California vibe. I love the drums on the opening theme.

Ozarks season 3, previously mentioned, I'd say 4, maybe 4.5. Other seasons maybe 4.

Better call Saul - finished last season. Slow and deliberately paced. Excellent characters. Plot can be a bit slow. Lots of attention to cinematography, and they capture certain moments in a contemplative (can't think of a better word?) way. Overall I'd say 4/5. Same with prior seasons.

I just could not get into Season 3 of Westworld.

I thought Homeland peaked in Season 1, which was a fantastic season of television. After the first two seasons, it just went downhill. The last season was better than some, but The Americans was a much better show overall, I thought.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:13 pm We also tried "Schitt's Creek", and absolutely *hated* it. We tried a second episode, but couldn't even finish it.
Exactly my reaction--until, persuaded by all the raves from friends whose opinion I respect, I resolved to try it one more time. I was determined to get through the first season and then quit for good and say obviously it was a dud.

To my enormous surprise I found myself starting to laugh around episode 4-5. By the time I finished the first season I was eager to gobble the next, and the next and so on.

Schitt's Creek turned out to be one of the best tv show experiences I've ever had. Warm, funny with intelligent writing and great acting. Loved the LGBTQ plotlines and I sure wish the rest of the world ran like that little town as far as tolerance and acceptance.

Edited to add: I loathed Chris Elliott in this show, both the character and his physical presence. That was a large aspect of what repelled me initially, and I suspect others may feel similarly.

Once the series found its comedic footing he became more or less just an irritant and I tried to ignore him. So if anyone is inclined to give SC one more chance, perhaps do it with a stipulation that Mayor Schitt is a misfire, and watch accordingly. He's the only character who doesn't grow and become a better person over the course of the family's time in the little town.

FWIW antipathy toward Chris Elliott's casting seems to be a pretty common reaction from viewers and watching the aftershow, he is almost invisible....reading between the lines Elliott was a 'name' that was cast to help draw viewers but he doesn't seem to have jelled internally or with the audience.

It was still a wonderful show.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

chuckb84 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 pm

I initially really liked Chernobyl, but when I fact-checked it, it didn't hold up. I have a lot of issues with revisionist history.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

protagonist wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 am
chuckb84 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 pm

I initially really liked Chernobyl, but when I fact-checked it, it didn't hold up. I have a lot of issues with revisionist history.
Wife and I tried, but couldn't get into it. The realization that it was far from historically accurate made us even less interested in trying again.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Still Game on Netflix. It's about Scottish pensioners living in a seen-better-days Glasgow suburb. Really funny, but subtitles are a must.

On Acorn TV, there are a number of really good Australian dramedies about people who leave the big city and move to small quirky towns (think Northern Exposure): SeaChange, The Heart Guy, 800 Words, and Bed of Roses.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We started watching “Ozark” on Netflix and it is good so far.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished season 3 of Goliath... as good as Ozark IMHO. Great characters and cast.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

pennywise wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 am
Exactly my reaction--until, persuaded by all the raves from friends whose opinion I respect, I resolved to try it one more time. I was determined to get through the first season and then quit for good and say obviously it was a dud.

To my enormous surprise I found myself starting to laugh around episode 4-5. By the time I finished the first season I was eager to gobble the next, and the next and so on.

Schitt's Creek turned out to be one of the best tv show experiences I've ever had. Warm, funny with intelligent writing and great acting. Loved the LGBTQ plotlines and I sure wish the rest of the world ran like that little town as far as tolerance and acceptance.

Edited to add: I loathed Chris Elliott in this show, both the character and his physical presence. That was a large aspect of what repelled me initially, and I suspect others may feel similarly.

Once the series found its comedic footing he became more or less just an irritant and I tried to ignore him. So if anyone is inclined to give SC one more chance, perhaps do it with a stipulation that Mayor Schitt is a misfire, and watch accordingly. He's the only character who doesn't grow and become a better person over the course of the family's time in the little town.

FWIW antipathy toward Chris Elliott's casting seems to be a pretty common reaction from viewers and watching the aftershow, he is almost invisible....reading between the lines Elliott was a 'name' that was cast to help draw viewers but he doesn't seem to have jelled internally or with the audience.

I will only add that this series was produced by a Canadian production company, filmed in Canada and in certain ways written for that audience first. I found Chris Elliotts role to be pivotal to the storyline and premise of the show. To me it was a very high quality ensemble of professional comedians who each had dominant as well as passive episodes. I bet filming it was a blast.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

I've tired of Hollywood productions...

My new definition of shows include Youtube "channels". Just want to put in plug for a Youtube series - currently watching various farm videos where farmers show projects and technologies on the farm. Their stories of honest hard work, tilling the land and multi generation legacies are compelling. Here's an example:

Cole the CornStar:

Here's a Des Moines Register story:

Tenth generation dairyman
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

pennywise wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 am

I’m with you 100%. Loved the characters and the touching storylines, particularly during final ep of each season. I loved Chris Elliott in other shows but not this one. I’d like to live in SC with those folks.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Completed season 1 of NORMAL PEOPLE on Hulu. Wife and I enjoyed it and look forward to season 2. Great chemistry between the leads.