[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:50 pm
Just started Season 4 of "Better Call Saul" on Netflix. I can't explain why but I love these characters and the world they live in so much. My husband and I spent a good 30 minutes talking about one interaction in the 2nd episode.
You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
+1

We really enjoyed Rake.

Capsu78
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Capsu78 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:01 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:26 pm
I just noticed that Occupied Season 3 dropped on Netflix, which somehow I missed in December. I love that show. Yes, it's one of the dark dystopian shows that someone upthread criticized - but it has a lot that's relevant to today AND it's very well done. And I think whatever your political or environmental leanings, there's plenty to nod your head to or shake your fist at. :happy
Yes, I'm binge watching season 3 this week too. Very good storyline, considering one of the foundations of season 1 was that USA had become energy independent and was less interested in helping Norway stand up to the Bear next-door. I believe the series was developed before the USA had.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64018
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 am
Bojack Horseman, on Netflix. The final episodes were released last week (Season 6, second half).

The series is taking a more serious turn, but is very much worth watching.

I'm not sure I'll return to Better than US (Netflix), as I lost interest after 8 episodes or so. Maybe. It's one season, 16 episodes.
I was very impressed with the ending of Bojack Horseman. Serious turn, indeed. The ending of Bojack's situation reminded me of the college professor (main character) in Halt and Catch Fire. He started as a college professor and ended up in pretty much the same boat. Very different situation and times, but the way things come full circle is a powerful story.

I watched another episode of Better than US and will keep going.
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm
Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm
...You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
+1

We really enjoyed Rake.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give Rake a shot after I finish Better than US. Or, maybe I'll watch Love, Death, and Robots (Netflix).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stoptothink
Posts: 7872
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:12 pm

sixtyforty wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 am
The Pharmacist on Netflix. Excellent... and an eye opener. A must watch for everyone in the US, IMO. My DW is a pharmacist and it is spot on.
I watched the first episode and a little of the second last night. Wow, what a story and what an amazing human being.

User avatar
noraz123
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by noraz123 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am

"The Outsider" on HBO; Jason Bateman is amazing. 4 episodes in. Really interesting take on a Stephen King story (that I wasn't aware of).
Thanks for the recommendation. I was unaware of this show. I quite like Jason Bateman in Ozark, so watched the first episode of The Outsider last night. What little I have seen, I quite like it.

s8r
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Northern Europe

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by s8r » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 am

protagonist wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm
s8r wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:24 am
Picture quality and the way people dress has changed very little in the past ~10 years. Also Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc have changed very little.
That is an interesting observation, and true. When I was growing up you could pretty easily pinpoint what year something was happening within about a 3 year window or so, just on the basis of technical quality, hair and clothing fashions, and music. Something ten years old looked and sounded ancient.
It's nice I'm not the only one who has noticed this. :happy

I mean, just compare for example Lost (2004) with any show from 1994. The change during that time frame is huge compared to the change in the past decade.

Edit:
Another interesting example from the world of video games (this was pointed out to me by someone else) is Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002). When it was released, it was a nostalgia trip back to 1986 -- 16 years to the past -- and as such it worked very well: the music, the clothing, the cars, etc. of the mid 80s were very different compared to those of the early 2000s.

Now, imagine if we'd make a corresponding nostalgia trip now in 2020. Going back 16 years would be 2004. It wouldn't work at all because everything was so similar back then!

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 am

Watched on DVD's from the library, the original British House of Card's which came out in 1990. A political thriller which lasted three seasons. IMHO, much better than the American version and for those who aren't familiar with the British system of government, a good introduction into what happens at Westminster.

Last night came across a PBS show called "Leftover Women." Worth watching for insight into modern China and family dynamics on marriage - much the same as ours. It refers to the pressure women face to marry and those who are in their late 20's and beyond who are called leftover.

Tonight is "Young Sheldon" which is the only TV comedy I like.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20128
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 am

The Profit on CNBC
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20128
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 am

Also watched American Greed on CNBC.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 am

Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm
You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
Agreed. But make sure it's the original Australian version starring Richard Roxburgh -- not the US remake that was a complete flop.

abner kravitz
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 am

Watched The Stranger on Netflix, a British mystery series. It gets pretty good reviews, but I thought it was borderline ridiculous. It did have some unintended laugh out loud moments with silly dialogue and plotline though.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 19321
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am

I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Ricola
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Ricola » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 am

Counterpart now on Amazon Prime. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/counterpart/s01

Capsu78
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Capsu78 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 am
Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm
You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
Agreed. But make sure it's the original Australian version starring Richard Roxburgh -- not the US remake that was a complete flop.
Yes, OZ version...I wasn't aware of the other version.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64018
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Green Street wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:48 pm
Love, Death and Robots ... David Fincher and Tim Burton’s love child
Love, Death, and Robots, on Netflix. Take a dystopian setting, then add violence, adult language and subject matter; throw in some humor, horror, and do it all with animation. Surreal. Each of the 18 episodes is stand-alone and short, under 20 minutes. I just binge watched 6 of them.

Tim Burton-esque indeed - but he wasn't part of this production. I think you mean Tim Miller.

I see mentions of a forthcoming Season 2, but no date has been announced.

Caution: This series is rated TV-MA (Mature Audiences) for a good reason.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Capsu78
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Capsu78 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Finished season 3 of Occupied on Netflix. Not quite as fast paced as the first 2 seasons, but still like the premise.
They have certainly left the door open for a season 4.

User avatar
MaryO
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MaryO » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
I watched the first episode and will be tuning back in when I can.
The show is so meta! I couldn't get my head around the fact that this crazy plot, where a teacher gets propelled into the presidency after his anti-corruption rant went viral, turned into reality. This show mocking Ukraine corruption propelled an actor/comedian into the presidency! Zelensky is very charming and I eventually got used to the subtitles. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64018
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:23 pm

As a reminder, this is a "no politics" forum. I removed a comment relating the show to a US political leader.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:12 pm
sixtyforty wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 am
The Pharmacist on Netflix. Excellent... and an eye opener. A must watch for everyone in the US, IMO. My DW is a pharmacist and it is spot on.
I watched the first episode and a little of the second last night. Wow, what a story and what an amazing human being.
Finished this last night. Captivating and well done.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 19321
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 pm

MaryO wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
I watched the first episode and will be tuning back in when I can.
The show is so meta! I couldn't get my head around the fact that this crazy plot, where a teacher gets propelled into the presidency after his anti-corruption rant went viral, turned into reality. This show mocking Ukraine corruption propelled an actor/comedian into the presidency! Zelensky is very charming and I eventually got used to the subtitles. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
I started watching this show to enhance my performance. One of my stand-up jokes is that I retired from a government job to do comedy, which is the American way. But my country of birth got it backwards: a comedian has retired to become President Zelenskyy. The joke is on him.

To develop my jokes further, I decided to watch some of his comedy. To my surprise, "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа") turned out to be a very funny, intelligent show that I am now binge-watching. It helps to understand Russian language, but even the subtitles provide some idea of how bad the situation in Ukraine was until it's got the Servant of the People.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

josehde
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by josehde » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:19 pm

The Good Place and Bojack Horseman. Still can't get over the fact that we no longer have more seasons to look forward to.

friar1610
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: MA South Shore

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by friar1610 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:38 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
Is the original broadcast in Russian or Ukrainian?
Friar1610

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 19321
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:17 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:38 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
Is the original broadcast in Russian or Ukrainian?
In Seasons 1 and 2, most of it is in Russian, and only two or three characters speak Ukrainian. In Season-3 there is more Ukrainian. The main team seems more comfortable speaking Russian.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18587
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am

Forensic Files II.

Interesting and informative as always.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20128
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am

I just put "Homeland" in our folder on Hulu. I have read good things about the show.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abner kravitz
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am
I just put "Homeland" in our folder on Hulu. I have read good things about the show.
I think Homeland is one of the all-time greats. It is one of those shows that survived a couple of questionable seasons and greatly improved. Don't quit after season 2.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20128
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am
I just put "Homeland" in our folder on Hulu. I have read good things about the show.
I think Homeland is one of the all-time greats. It is one of those shows that survived a couple of questionable seasons and greatly improved. Don't quit after season 2.
Thank you! There are so many good shows and movies on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, that I am wondering why I even bother paying for Hulu Live TV anymore!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

ColoradoRick
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ColoradoRick » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20128
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm

ColoradoRick wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!
Agree. I too have been surprised how some of the victims have fallen for certain fraud.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

rich126
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by rich126 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:45 pm

I signed up for CBS All Access (misleading name) to catch up on some shows and stumbled upon Picard. For non-Star Trek people, it stars Patrick Stewart as a retired Star Fleet Admiral. I've always liked Stewart (he turns 80 this year) and so far (3 episodes) it is well done and not the typical Star Trek show IMO.

I do find it amusing that his dog in the show is named "Number 1" :D

Puretaxableindexer
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Homeland season 8. So far, it's OK. But, all of their seasons start out slow and get better.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Bylo Selhi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Better Call Saul. The first episode of the penultimate season "aired" last night. The second "airs" tonight. One of the best shows on TV.

[As for seasons starting slow, this series started really slow. We're now into season 5 and finally the star becomes "Saul Goodman."]

mak1277
Posts: 1441
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mak1277 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am
Forensic Files II.

Interesting and informative as always.
Is it the same narrator as the original series?

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7526
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am

mak1277 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am
Forensic Files II.

Interesting and informative as always.
Is it the same narrator as the original series?
From https://www.newsweek.com/how-watch-fore ... re-1488525
The only big change from the original Forensic Files is the narrator. Forensic Files II will not be narrated by Peter Thomas as the iconic announcer died in 2016 at the age of 91.
That's a sad disappointment. I hadn't realized how many things Peter Thomas had done and for how many years. His voice certainly is familiar.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

mak1277
Posts: 1441
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mak1277 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am

bertilak wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am
Forensic Files II.

Interesting and informative as always.
Is it the same narrator as the original series?
From https://www.newsweek.com/how-watch-fore ... re-1488525
The only big change from the original Forensic Files is the narrator. Forensic Files II will not be narrated by Peter Thomas as the iconic announcer died in 2016 at the age of 91.
That's a sad disappointment. I hadn't realized how many things Peter Thomas had done and for how many years. His voice certainly is familiar.
Yeah, big bummer. I won't lie, the narration was about 96% of the reason I watched the show.

michaeljc70
Posts: 6709
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 pm

The Capture. It is a 6 part mini series available on Amazon. I'd give it a 7/10. Without giving too much away, it is about law enforcement and CCTV evidence and the possible manipulation (deep fake) of such evidence.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64018
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Better Call Saul, on Netflix. I fully agree - it's one of the best shows out there (second to Breaking Bad, maybe).

Interesting as "#6 show" was next to the series title. That says a lot.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
VeganBH
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:53 am
Location: No. California

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by VeganBH » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:55 am

If anyone wants to watch something that is chillingly timely/similar to what we are currently experiencing....take a look at a brand new (Jan. 2020) docu-series on Netflix called: "Pandemic - How to prevent an outbreak"
DH and I did a google search on the subject...hey, thought we might glean something useful in the given situation.

We're just 30 min. in, and the similarities to COVID-19 - is chilling. Real scientist, researchers, historic pandemics....
It is downright frightening - and oddly timely. This is probably not the series to watch right now if you're already upset/anxious about the current pandemic. We're forging on despite the pure terror we are feeling while watching. It appears very well done so far.

Stay safe and be well. :beer
Last edited by VeganBH on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer

User avatar
VeganBH
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:53 am
Location: No. California

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by VeganBH » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:56 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:00 pm
Better Call Saul, on Netflix. I fully agree - it's one of the best shows out there (second to Breaking Bad, maybe).

Interesting as "#6 show" was next to the series title. That says a lot.
+1 Agree absolutely
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64018
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm

The Kominsky Method, on Netflix. A nice change of pace, with a lot of subtle humor. Well written. I liked it.

Rake, on Netflix. I watched a few episodes, then stopped. There's absolutely nothing wrong, it just didn't hold my interest.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10278
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 am
Watched on DVD's from the library, the original British House of Card's which came out in 1990. A political thriller which lasted three seasons. IMHO, much better than the American version and for those who aren't familiar with the British system of government, a good introduction into what happens at Westminster.

Last night came across a PBS show called "Leftover Women." Worth watching for insight into modern China and family dynamics on marriage - much the same as ours. It refers to the pressure women face to marry and those who are in their late 20's and beyond who are called leftover.

Tonight is "Young Sheldon" which is the only TV comedy I like.
Thanks for the reminder for the British "House of Cards".
That's going on the list. It's worth seeing a third time; the first two were pretty long ago now.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Bylo Selhi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm
Rake, on Netflix. I watched a few episodes, then stopped. There's absolutely nothing wrong, it just didn't hold my interest.
The original Australian version or the US copy cat? If the latter you're not missing anything.

[I acknowledge that Richard Roxburgh in the OZ version may not be to everyone's taste.]

User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1797
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm
Rake, on Netflix. I watched a few episodes, then stopped. There's absolutely nothing wrong, it just didn't hold my interest.
The original Australian version or the US copy cat? If the latter you're not missing anything.

[I acknowledge that Richard Roxburgh in the OZ version may not be to everyone's taste.]
We took a look at it, (Aussie version), but found it wanting. Oh well.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64018
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:03 am

It's the Australian version.

I had the same problem with Mad Men. Excellent production, but I didn't like the story line and stopped watching it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stoptothink
Posts: 7872
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 am

Wife and I binged the 1st season of "Fargo". Billy Bob Thornton is amazing.

pshonore
Posts: 6842
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by pshonore » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:07 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm
ColoradoRick wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!
Agree. I too have been surprised how some of the victims have fallen for certain fraud.
Couldn't agree more. Just watched the episode last night where the Rap Concert promoter not only talked people into giving him their IRA money to invest, he also told them he would pay the taxes on their IRA withdrawals.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20128
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:12 pm

pshonore wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:07 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm
ColoradoRick wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!
Agree. I too have been surprised how some of the victims have fallen for certain fraud.
Couldn't agree more. Just watched the episode last night where the Rap Concert promoter not only talked people into giving him their IRA money to invest, he also told them he would pay the taxes on their IRA withdrawals.
I saw that episode! It is insane!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

pshonore
Posts: 6842
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by pshonore » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:14 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:12 pm
pshonore wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:07 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm
ColoradoRick wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!
Agree. I too have been surprised how some of the victims have fallen for certain fraud.
Couldn't agree more. Just watched the episode last night where the Rap Concert promoter not only talked people into giving him their IRA money to invest, he also told them he would pay the taxes on their IRA withdrawals.
I saw that episode! It is insane!
Almost as insane as the guy who torched the Wine warehouse that aired with it!

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4518
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Lowbrow for the last few nights.

I binged watched the following:
Family Guy
Bless the Harts
The Simpsons
Bob's Burgers
All caught up with those.

Next up: South Park. I'm waaaayyyyy behind on this one.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

h555m
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by h555m » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 am

Ugly Delicious Season 2

Enjoyed the Steaks and Baby episodes.

Wish the new season of Top Chef would have some new people.

High Fidelity

The movie left a big mark on me. Defensive as I was, still enjoyed the ending and the music throughout the show.

Post Reply