[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jeff Albertson

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy just added to Netflix!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQaIDo94viA
or
https://www.netflix.com/title/80188051
nguy44

Re: Personal favorite TV/cable series

Post by nguy44 »

Doc Martin.
Darth Poppy

Post by Darth Poppy »

No list is complete without:

Prison Break

Both of these are amazing, and shows I couldn’t turn off. I binge watched these before NETFLIX was binge watching cool.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

I have cheap regular cable, and most of it is now crap talent shows, the current creepiest being "The Masked Singer". Only worthwhile channels are some of the retro channels:

The Fugitive: was a kid when this was current, I still can't watch a full episode, but it was pretty well done. Janssen's understated acting masterful. Some of the bit players later became stars.

The Rockford Files: My favorite old series, masterful acting and scripting, a great blend of L.A. ambience, humor and minimal violence. With a good script, unlike many of the current cable shows, you didn't need swarms of guys and women cops (fresh from their West Hollywood workout training and personal diet counsellor) pointing guns and shoutng "clear" as they go through an L.A. bungalow. This is over and over on new shows like FBI, Chicgo PD, etc etc..

Harry O; David Janssen again, well done,scripted by Howard Rodman, one of the best. Lasted less than two years. Probably the best gumshoe since Bogart.

Monk; Only have seen a couple of episodes, but I like the quirkiness. Sort of an American version of Hercule Poirot.

Cable shows: Watched first three seasons of Bosch, excellent, but only did it on free trial of Amazon Prime.Fourth season gave in to political correctness and sociological virtual signaling. I will not pay for Netflix, Hulu, etc., I am tired of all the moralizing and preaching buried in these scripts.

I am weaning totally off this cable and other video trash, will get DVDs from the library.Going less video now, more old movies.

When you watch an old movie from the likes of John Huston, William Wyler, it just shows how shallow and limited most of todays writers are. Take away most of the gratuitous violence, cop body armor, etc from these cable writers and they have nothing to write, primarily because they did not receive a classical literary education.

By that I mean that their four years at UCLA or whatever gave them less than I received years ago in a good high school. It is unbelievable.
four7s

Post by four7s »

Bloodline on Netflix...set in Florida Keys.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

enjoying Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones of the current series.

Seinfeld, Dick Van Dyke Show, Sopranos, and Breaking Bad from the past.

1st few years of Walking Dead was very good.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The World Series
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

M*A*S*H, and anything written and/or produced by Aaron Sorkin.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

- This Old House
- Bonanza
- All Creatures Great and Small (British)
- The Incredible Dr. Pol
- Fawlty Towers (British)
- Green Acres
- Any cooking show w/ Jacques Pepin

David
Last edited by TnGuy on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Grantley

Post by Grantley »

Sopranos
Band of Brothers
Breaking Bad
Narcos
Better Call Saul
Ozark

Currently enjoying The Americans on Amazon Prime.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

I just started binging Banshee from Cinemax. I've binged most of the other known famous ones over the last 2 years since retiring. Banshee is very brutal in some parts and has a bit too much sex for my taste. But if you like MMA type fighting (although it is not actual fighting in the ring but often to settle issues) the star has an interesting moral sense of right and wrong and uses fighting to often resolve it. I also just watched Billions and found that quite good
NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy »

"Justified" got me hooked. Three years later, I binged on it again. lol
jpohio

Post by jpohio »

Bosch
Goliath
Longmire
Inspector Lewis
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

four7s wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:12 pm Bloodline on Netflix...set in Florida Keys.
"We are not bad people we just did a bad thing". I use every opportunity I can to drop that line in a conversation. First season is AMAZING. Not as good after that and hated how they ended, but really a great concept.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Personal favorites: The Wire, Third Watch, China Beach, Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks (how it got cancelled after one year is unbelievable)

Good luck.

p.s. Watched China Beach as a child and still have a crush on Dana Delaney since then.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

I’m currently re-watching NYPD Blue, circa 1993. I’m on the final 12th season... Quite a few actors throughout the series went on to many other good shows. Funny to see them so young. Before that I watched West Wing, again, from 2000. Same thing seeing young actors go on to bigger shows. I agree a lot of network tv has a lot of crap shows. Must be why I like the old stuff.
I can only watch one series at a time, so trying to decide what to watch next. 🤔
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Vikings, Investigation Discovery (various shows murder investigations), Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, American Pickers, Dr Pol, The Last Alaskans, Air Disasters, Sea Disasters, What on Earth, How it's Made, just about any National Geographic animal show, old Celebrity Roasts, old rocker concerts...

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Norsemen, The Good Place, Endeavour, Wallander, The Kominsky Method.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Sopranos
Game of Thrones
True Detective Season One
Homeland
Dexter
Seinfeld
The Office
The Mentalist
Monk
The Andy Griffith Show
Bonanza
Little House on the Prairie
Matlock
Downton Abbey
Luther
Law and Order SVU
Criminal Minds
Stranger Things
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

In the present time, Days Of Our Lives isn't too bad...
Attempted new signature...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Vikings, Breaking Bad, Luther, and we've made it through the first 4 seasons of Game of Thrones and it is probably up there.

Ozark, the Office, Goliath, Patriot, and Parks and Rec are probably one tier below.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Good Listener wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 pm I just started binging Banshee from Cinemax. I've binged most of the other known famous ones over the last 2 years since retiring. Banshee is very brutal in some parts and has a bit too much sex for my taste. But if you like MMA type fighting (although it is not actual fighting in the ring but often to settle issues) the star has an interesting moral sense of right and wrong and uses fighting to often resolve it. I also just watched Billions and found that quite good
I also loved Banshee, though pretty much nobody has heard of it. The creator of Banshee has a new show coming out on Cinemax called Warrior.

https://www.cinemax.com/warrior
FLSte

Post by FLSte »

Some great ones mentioned so far - Breaking Bad, Narcos, 24, Game of Thrones. I'll add Burn Notice. Also Top Gear and/or The Grand Tour, it's incredible how many years the same three presenters have been doing essentially the same thing and it's still entertaining
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

Peaky Blinders on Netflix is our current favorite, though we have to watch with subtitles as some accents are thick. Breaking Bad is mentioned a lot and that may be the best series made in a long time.

My favorite of all time? Cheers.
Elena

Post by Elena »

4nwestsaylng wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 pm I have cheap regular cable, and most of it is now crap talent shows, the current creepiest being "The Masked Singer". Only worthwhile channels are some of the retro channels:

The Fugitive: was a kid when this was current, I still can't watch a full episode, but it was pretty well done. Janssen's understated acting masterful. Some of the bit players later became stars.

The Rockford Files: My favorite old series, masterful acting and scripting, a great blend of L.A. ambience, humor and minimal violence. With a good script, unlike many of the current cable shows, you didn't need swarms of guys and women cops (fresh from their West Hollywood workout training and personal diet counsellor) pointing guns and shoutng "clear" as they go through an L.A. bungalow. This is over and over on new shows like FBI, Chicgo PD, etc etc..

Harry O; David Janssen again, well done,scripted by Howard Rodman, one of the best. Lasted less than two years. Probably the best gumshoe since Bogart.

Monk; Only have seen a couple of episodes, but I like the quirkiness. Sort of an American version of Hercule Poirot.

Cable shows: Watched first three seasons of Bosch, excellent, but only did it on free trial of Amazon Prime.Fourth season gave in to political correctness and sociological virtual signaling. I will not pay for Netflix, Hulu, etc., I am tired of all the moralizing and preaching buried in these scripts.

I am weaning totally off this cable and other video trash, will get DVDs from the library.Going less video now, more old movies.

When you watch an old movie from the likes of John Huston, William Wyler, it just shows how shallow and limited most of todays writers are. Take away most of the gratuitous violence, cop body armor, etc from these cable writers and they have nothing to write, primarily because they did not receive a classical literary education.

By that I mean that their four years at UCLA or whatever gave them less than I received years ago in a good high school. It is unbelievable.
+1
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Cheers, Frasier, Friday Night Lights, The Inbetweeners, Xena, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Cosby Show, and American Vandal.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

4nwestsaylng wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 pm I have cheap regular cable, and most of it is now crap talent shows, the current creepiest being "The Masked Singer". Only worthwhile channels are some of the retro channels:

whoa. sound very political to me. the greatness of the past.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Sons of Anarchy has not been mentioned.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Wall $treet Week with Louis Rukeyser. Never missed it.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

02nz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 amThe Americans
+1. Easy to binge on this one.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin »

The first 10 years of The Simpsons were some of the best television ever. (Already mentioned many times -- Seinfeld, The Wire, Breaking Bad...all of them all-time great shows...and from a very different era -- I Love Lucy.)

The current show that hasn't been mentioned here is Bojack Horseman. It is a *dark* show -- I imagine some people really won't like it. But creative, deep, and whimsical all at the same time.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Drama: Breaking Bad, Better call Saul, Fargo Series, Star Trek NG, The Walking Dead, Ozark, Longmire, Prison Break.

Comedy: Cheers, MASH, The Office.

Old School: Twilight Zone, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, All in the Family.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Keeping up Appearances
longleaf

Post by longleaf »

Bosch
Longmire
Frugality, indexing, time.
Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor »

Go Blue 99 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm
Good Listener wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 pm I just started binging Banshee from Cinemax. I've binged most of the other known famous ones over the last 2 years since retiring. Banshee is very brutal in some parts and has a bit too much sex for my taste. But if you like MMA type fighting (although it is not actual fighting in the ring but often to settle issues) the star has an interesting moral sense of right and wrong and uses fighting to often resolve it. I also just watched Billions and found that quite good
I also loved Banshee, though pretty much nobody has heard of it. The creator of Banshee has a new show coming out on Cinemax called Warrior.

https://www.cinemax.com/warrior
Banshee, especially the first three seasons, by far my favorite series of all time. I doubt anything will ever top it. Leave It To Beaver is a distant second. Also love Better Call Saul.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

The Wire
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Hart of Dixie.
The Good Witch

Both shows are pretty much stress free and sometimes we want that.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

So much good stuff to watch on all the streaming platforms, new & old.

Unless I missed it, no one yet has mentioned Bluebloods or Death in Paradise on this post. Both still airing on broadcast TV.

Also, as jebmke noted, The World Series. I'll also mention the greatest show on earth, Major League Baseball. I love MLB.TV
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Heidi1

Post by Heidi1 »

I have watched these in the last year or so, all on Acorn.

Single Handed
Doc Martin
Detectorists
A Place to Call Home-good until the last season, then became boring & predictable
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged schachtw's thread into the on-going discussion. Please use this thread for all TV show reviews.

With regards to some earlier posts, rants are off-topic. Please state your concerns in a civil, factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I could almost have written that myself!

That gives me confidence that a recommendation for Midsomer Murders is well placed. There are 20 seasons.
UPDATE! wrote:I deleted he comments about Amazon dropping Midsomer Murder seasons 11 through 20. There is a distinction between Amazon streaming and the added channel "BritBox." Amazon itself only has the first 10 seasons but going to the Britbox channel, all 20 seasons (and I hope and presume future seasons) are available.
BTW, this is all a re-watch for me. Seen 'em all! In a way re-watching is better because you can pay more attention to the minor characters and actors. It is so well done that it is rewarding to do so.

James Garner has been a favorite since Maverick in the 50s-60s and Rockford is the high point of his career, with the help of Angel (Stuart Margolin). A couple of years ago I picked up a DVD set of Maverick and was surprised at how much I liked Bart Maverick (Jack Kelly) and the episodes that featured him.

About Amazon streaming. I pay for that that and also a couple of the add-on channels: Acorn and Brit Box. Those two focus on British/UK shows. This includes Ireland, Australia, New Zealand. Those people are way ahead of the US in quality directing, writing, acting and originality. They are not nearly as bogged down in PC, "sociological virtual signaling" and Social Justice Wars. (Newer shows are starting to fall into this trap but haven't completely succumbed to it yet.)
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - All movie reviews are in this thread: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

staythecourse wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:55 pm
four7s wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:12 pm Bloodline on Netflix...set in Florida Keys.
"We are not bad people we just did a bad thing". I use every opportunity I can to drop that line in a conversation. First season is AMAZING. Not as good after that and hated how they ended, but really a great concept.

Good luck.
Agree on Bloodline and it did kind of go off the rails at the end.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

When you bash an entire industry and pretty much say there is nothing worthwhile today,you honestly are not looking hard enough and your comment on networks having nothing but crap talent shows is ridiculous.I am 67 and I also enjoyed shows like the Fugitive,but there is plenty of excellent tv today. :sharebeer
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

hoops777 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 pm[lots of stuff I agreed with above...
When you bash an entire industry and pretty much say there is nothing worthwhile today,you honestly are not looking hard enough and your comment on networks having nothing but crap talent shows is ridiculous.I am 67 and I also enjoyed shows like the Fugitive,but there is plenty of excellent tv today. :sharebeer
From my perspective, what is available from British streaming sources is far superior to what is available on USA broadcast TV. Could be for several reasons...
  • Being quite different, its novelty (to Americans) plays in its favor. (Or should I say "favour?")
  • What is made available to streaming services is hand-picked (curated) leaving much of the drek behind.
  • Personal taste. American shows emphasize flash, slam-bang and actors that look like models wearing high-style and sexy clothing you wouldn't see at work or in the supermarket. British shows emphasize plot and character. Compare Inspector Morse and its family, Midsomer Murders, Death in Paradise, Detectorists to Hawaii Five-O, Criminal Minds, even Blue Bloods. Imagine Bridget Moynahan as Barnaby's wife!
It is not ll black and white. There are American shows that hold up quite well but they are mostly older (Magnum PI).
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TV today is fantastic. I don't know why anybody bothers to go to the movies; most of the stuff put out by Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, etc. is better than anything shown in theaters. There is absolutely garbage out there, but there are so many options.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 pm

TV today is fantastic. I don't know why anybody bothers to go to the movies; most of the stuff put out by Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, etc. is better than anything shown in theaters. There is absolutely garbage out there, but there are so many options.
We do not go to the movies that much anymore either.Besides they will all be on tv pretty soon anyway.They have a new set up in the Bay Area at our closest Regal Cinema and you now have assigned seats. :annoyed
DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE »

MNGopher wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 am
Old School: Twilight Zone, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, All in the Family.
We are kindred spirits. I watch Barney Miller and Johnny Carson on the over the air channels. I find it interesting that the themes of Barney Miller still hold up today and the Carson show is a time capsule of pop culture.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Finished final season of House of Cards.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Ray Donovan, Homicide Life On The Streets, Perry Mason.