[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lostdog
Posts: 3364
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by lostdog »

The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Amazing show. It's not your typical gory horror flick. Great story with haunting scenes.
MJW
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW »

lostdog wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Amazing show. It's not your typical gory horror flick. Great story with haunting scenes.
My wife suggested we watch this. Occasionally we'll try a show together and one of us continues with the series while the other opts out. Hill House isn't something I would normally seek out on my own (it's more my wife's genre) but it's kept me interested enough to stick around through the first three episodes. The writers have done a good job of building the story so far.
lostdog
Posts: 3364
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by lostdog »

MJW wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 pm
lostdog wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Amazing show. It's not your typical gory horror flick. Great story with haunting scenes.
My wife suggested we watch this. Occasionally we'll try a show together and one of us continues with the series while the other opts out. Hill House isn't something I would normally seek out on my own (it's more my wife's genre) but it's kept me interested enough to stick around through the first three episodes. The writers have done a good job of building the story so far.
I just finished the series. Wow! Love it.
You Know What I Mean
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by You Know What I Mean »

My wife and I both really enjoyed Bodyguard on Netflix. Very well done production and acting. Interesting characters, many not likable but still with fascinating personalities and relationships. Lots of deception. Complicated plots and sub-plots. Some intense action at times, very dramatic. The season finale was compelling and satisfying. We hope there is another season coming. (Apparently, it was a surprise hit in Britain, so maybe the BBC will carry on.)
FedGuy
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by FedGuy »

grokzilla wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 amCurrently Watching:
Designated Survivor -- Went in hoping for some 24 intrigue, but it's pretty mediocre. Doubt I'll get past season 1.
I hate to break it to you, Grokzilla, but while I LOVED season 1 of Designated Survivor, it fell apart very quickly in season 2, when the new showrunner reinvented it as a light-hearted "West Wing" knockoff. I think I made it about five episodes before I gave up on it. Judging by its ratings, I wasn't the only one.
abner kravitz
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abner kravitz »

BigFoot48 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 am Bodyguard on Netflix is starting out very good with intense action scenes, although the lead's Scottish accent is a bit hard to understand occasionally.
I would suggest using subtitles. I never watch a British show without them.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 67335
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by LadyGeek »

aristotelian wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 pm Lilyhammer, on Netflix. It's a dark comedy, which I like. The first episode was entertaining and will keep watching.

Actually, I wanted to watch Fargo. I'm stewing over the $10 / season ( x 3 seasons) that I have to pay on Amazon prime. :annoyed I'll watch Lilyhammer through completion.

By then, I'll have justified the $30 cost in my head by Mental accounting and pay up - it's the equivalent of 3 e-books.
Hulu has the first couple seasons of Fargo. If you run out of things to watch on Netflix, it's worth switching for a few months. They also have Handmaid's Tale, Atlanta, The Good Place, etc.
Thank you! I just finished Lilyhammer and ran out of things to watch on Netflix. I signed up for the "No commercials" plan, first month free.

Fargo, on Hulu. Wow - that's all I can say about the first episode. I'm hooked. I've heard the 2nd and 3rd seasons weren't as good, but I'll still watch them.

I thought I'd cancel Netflix and watch Hulu for a while, but I made the mistake of telling my husband that The Haunting of Hill House was getting great reviews on the forum. His first comment was "It's a series on Netflix? I watched the movie... ". I now have to budget for 2 streaming subscriptions. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mrsbetsy
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mrsbetsy »

Tonights episode of Poldark was epic!

It's another indication that history does indeed repeat itself if we don't pay attention.

PBS Masterpiece Theater is worth it!
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1208
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by batpot »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:42 pm Fargo, on Hulu. Wow - that's all I can say about the first episode. I'm hooked. I've heard the 2nd and 3rd seasons weren't as good, but I'll still watch them.
Fargo is fantastic. I think I like the 2nd season more than the first. The 3rd slips just a bit, but is still great.

The writer, Noah Hawley, also did Legion, the first season of which was phenomenal. The 2nd season went off the rails a bit, but considering the subject matter is a Marvel character who is a schizophrenic mutant, it's well, challenging.
lostdog
Posts: 3364
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by lostdog »

mrsbetsy wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:42 pm Tonights episode of Poldark was epic!

It's another indication that history does indeed repeat itself if we don't pay attention.

PBS Masterpiece Theater is worth it!
+1

My wife and I enjoy Poldark also. Supposedly next season will be the last. =(
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7942
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

I started watching the series Vexed on Netflix. It is one of those quirky British detective shows, something I am normally a sucker for. Unfortunately, this one mises the mark -- by a long ways. I gave it two episodes of season 1.

Apparently everyone recognized how bad it was so they took it off the air for a year to retool it. The consensus seems to be they wasted their time. I just might skip to season 2 and give it another chance -- there are some unpopular shows that I do like.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7942
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:48 pm I started watching the series Vexed on Netflix. It is one of those quirky British detective shows, something I am normally a sucker for. Unfortunately, this one misses the mark.
I am also watching Jonathan Creek, another quirky British detective show. This one hits the mark as a mystery-comedy.

Jonathan Creek designs magic illusions for a popular magician as his day job. He has a "will-they-won't-they" lady friend, Maddy Magellan, who is an investigative journalist. She has a proclivity for getting involved in murder mysteries where Jonathon's skills are just the thing for solving them -- locked-room and other impossible murders and occasionally other crimes. Like all good shows of this nature it is the chemistry between the main characters that counts.

It is all played lightheartedly and the mysteries are fun to (try to) work out. It's a game of "spot the clues." Much like a Poirot mystery there is usually a "this is what happened" scene at the end.

Jonathan Creek is played by Alan Davies of QI fame. Maddy Magellan is played by Caroline Quentin of Men Behaving Badly fame. Each is perfect for their part.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mrsbetsy
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mrsbetsy »

Just started the Netflix show Foods That Cure Diseases.

WOW....no wonder people are so confused about what is healthy to eat and what should be avoided.

Worth the watch.
You Know What I Mean
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by You Know What I Mean »

bertilak wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm
bertilak wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:48 pm I started watching the series Vexed on Netflix. It is one of those quirky British detective shows, something I am normally a sucker for. Unfortunately, this one misses the mark.
I am also watching Jonathan Creek, another quirky British detective show. This one hits the mark as a mystery-comedy.

Jonathan Creek designs magic illusions for a popular magician as his day job. He has a "will-they-won't-they" lady friend, Maddy Magellan, who is an investigative journalist. She has a proclivity for getting involved in murder mysteries where Jonathon's skills are just the thing for solving them -- locked-room and other impossible murders and occasionally other crimes. Like all good shows of this nature it is the chemistry between the main characters that counts.

It is all played lightheartedly and the mysteries are fun to (try to) work out. It's a game of "spot the clues." Much like a Poirot mystery there is usually a "this is what happened" scene at the end.

Jonathan Creek is played by Alan Davies of QI fame. Maddy Magellan is played by Caroline Quentin of Men Behaving Badly fame. Each is perfect for their part.
Does this require a britbox subscription, or is it available elsewhere? Thanks!
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7942
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:20 pm
bertilak wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm
bertilak wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:48 pm I started watching the series Vexed on Netflix. It is one of those quirky British detective shows, something I am normally a sucker for. Unfortunately, this one misses the mark.
I am also watching Jonathan Creek, another quirky British detective show. This one hits the mark as a mystery-comedy.

Jonathan Creek designs magic illusions for a popular magician as his day job. He has a "will-they-won't-they" lady friend, Maddy Magellan, who is an investigative journalist. She has a proclivity for getting involved in murder mysteries where Jonathon's skills are just the thing for solving them -- locked-room and other impossible murders and occasionally other crimes. Like all good shows of this nature it is the chemistry between the main characters that counts.

It is all played lightheartedly and the mysteries are fun to (try to) work out. It's a game of "spot the clues." Much like a Poirot mystery there is usually a "this is what happened" scene at the end.

Jonathan Creek is played by Alan Davies of QI fame. Maddy Magellan is played by Caroline Quentin of Men Behaving Badly fame. Each is perfect for their part.
Does this require a britbox subscription, or is it available elsewhere? Thanks!
Yes, it is a BritBox show.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
MJW
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW »

I watched the first episode of Season 6 (and final season) of House of Cards last night.

Thought it was pretty weak. Possibly awful. Hopefully it gains some traction. At least it's only eight episodes.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

MJW wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm I watched the first episode of Season 6 (and final season) of House of Cards last night.

Thought it was pretty weak. Possibly awful. Hopefully it gains some traction. At least it's only eight episodes.
Hate to be a wet blanket...but...
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3629
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Blues wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm I watched the first episode of Season 6 (and final season) of House of Cards last night.

Thought it was pretty weak. Possibly awful. Hopefully it gains some traction. At least it's only eight episodes.
Hate to be a wet blanket...but...
I thought it picked up quickly after that first episode. Still can't compare to earlier seasons though.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:18 am
Blues wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm I watched the first episode of Season 6 (and final season) of House of Cards last night.

Thought it was pretty weak. Possibly awful. Hopefully it gains some traction. At least it's only eight episodes.
Hate to be a wet blanket...but...
I thought it picked up quickly after that first episode. Still can't compare to earlier seasons though.
The final episode was such a letdown to us that I lamented having bothered with this "final" season at all. As with most things, opinions will vary.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 19741
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ruralavalon »

Call The Midwife, on Netflix.

The BBC series is set in 1950s-1960s London, about the lives of nurse midwives and their patients in the East End. We enjoyed the series.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

Homecoming on Amazon Prime Video
https://www.amazon.com/Season-1-Officia ... B07FNWYY2L

Free for Prime members,

Series with Julia Roberts in half hour installments. I watched the first episode. I'm not sure whether the buzz is deserved or the buzz is really about Ms.Roberts. I'll probably watch one more.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

heartwood wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 am Homecoming on Amazon Prime Video
https://www.amazon.com/Season-1-Officia ... B07FNWYY2L

Free for Prime members,

Series with Julia Roberts in half hour installments. I watched the first episode. I'm not sure whether the buzz is deserved or the buzz is really about Ms.Roberts. I'll probably watch one more.
I thought it was okay. Ending was a bit of a letdown. More could have been done with it imho.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3629
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:19 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:18 am
Blues wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm I watched the first episode of Season 6 (and final season) of House of Cards last night.

Thought it was pretty weak. Possibly awful. Hopefully it gains some traction. At least it's only eight episodes.
Hate to be a wet blanket...but...
I thought it picked up quickly after that first episode. Still can't compare to earlier seasons though.
The final episode was such a letdown to us that I lamented having bothered with this "final" season at all. As with most things, opinions will vary.
Rats! Hate to hear that. I guess I spoke too soon. We still have a few episodes to go.
cnblure
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by cnblure »

I finished watching Frasier two months ago. Now I'm currently on season 9 of Cheers. It's great!
seychellois_lib
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by seychellois_lib »

Call My Agent - Nflx - French with subtitles. A group of talent agents works to get and keep jobs for clients. A superb baseline cast with guest appearances by many well known French actors who play the various clients.

If you can live with subtitles (or speak French) this is a slam dunk. Outstanding show.

The Romanoffs - Amz - English/French - some subtitles. Each episode is a stand alone story. The first episode was superb the rest were excellent.
MJW
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW »

I finished Season 6 of House of Cards. I thought it was pretty bad and would have bailed sooner were it not for my compulsive need to finish things. In all fairness, the series had been on the decline (IMO) in the prior two seasons, and I know the writers and producers had to scramble to rewrite the final season when the scandals with the main actor broke.

That the show was hastily thrown together was evident through the overacting, clumsy plot devices and an uneven narrative. It looked like they were making it up as they went along. Most of what took place was implausible, even by dramatized, fictional standards. Many sharks were jumped. Keeping track of the all the alliances/rivalries within the weird frenemies circle was tiresome. The last half of the final episode showed for a moment some semblance of potential for redeeming the season, but ended disappointingly as well.

Other than, it was okay. :happy My main takeaway is that Diane Lane is still looking fantastic.
User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Bylo Selhi »

MJW wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:23 pmThe last half of the final episode showed for a moment some semblance of potential for redeeming the season, but ended disappointingly as well.
Couldn't agree more on all counts. For some reason I had thought there were 10 episodes to the season. When episode 8 ended I couldn't understand why I couldn't find episode 9. Then it finally dawned on me, that's all she wrote. So at least in my case they didn't even end the series. Final episodes of series like The Sopranos may have been ambiguous and controversial. But at least it was clear to that they were final.
MJW
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:35 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:23 pmThe last half of the final episode showed for a moment some semblance of potential for redeeming the season, but ended disappointingly as well.
Couldn't agree more on all counts. For some reason I had thought there were 10 episodes to the season. When episode 8 ended I couldn't understand why I couldn't find episode 9. Then it finally dawned on me, that's all she wrote. So at least in my case they didn't even end the series. Final episodes of series like The Sopranos may have been ambiguous and controversial. But at least it was clear to that they were final.
I didn’t have high hopes going in, so I would have been satisfied with middle of the road. It was as if a soap opera and a low budget thriller had a baby.
Jeff Albertson
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Jeff Albertson »

PBS - Sinking Cities https://www.pbs.org/video/sinking-citie ... ew-ryfkhh/
As the earth warms, sea levels rise and super-storms become more frequent and intense, many of the world’s major coastal cities may soon be under water. This series explores how four global cities are coming to grips with the real-time effects of rising seas and extreme weather.
Four episodes, one for each city, New York, Tokyo, London & Miami. Three have aired, Miami airs next week.
User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by BigFoot48 »

The Legend of Buster Scruggs on Netflix, a 6-episode western anthology by the Coen brothers, is very good, although a bit dark. We were going to watch an episode or two and ended up watching the whole 2.5 hours. I thought Ep1 was really funny, the others much more serious.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser
BashDash
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by BashDash »

Hi all, need a Hulu or sling tv blue recommendation for my wife and I. Funny would be great. We like modern family, superstore, Brooklyn 99, the good place. Thanks!!!
dustinst22
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by dustinst22 »

Watching the latest season of Narcos, great show.
Halicar
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am
Location: Midwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Halicar »

My son and I have been watching Adventure Time and Steven Universe, two acclaimed animated series. They are both very strange and interesting, but also very funny and charming, each in its own way.
MJW
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW »

dustinst22 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm Watching the latest season of Narcos, great show.
I just started the series; watched E1 a couple days ago. Have high hopes.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 19741
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ruralavalon »

inside North Korea's Dynasty, last night we watched this informative National Geographic series about North Korea.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Frankieg48336
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Frankieg48336 »

Hi guys,

My first post so I thought I'd ease into this.
Just binge watched stranger things 2 season. It was awesome for a gen xer like. I'm curious how younger and older bogleheads think of it?
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 67335
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! I moved your post from the movie thread into here, which is for TV series.

I also watched Stranger Things, I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bungo
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Bungo »

Frankieg48336 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:08 pm Hi guys,

My first post so I thought I'd ease into this.
Just binge watched stranger things 2 season. It was awesome for a gen xer like. I'm curious how younger and older bogleheads think of it?
I liked the first season (Gen xer as well, grew up in the '70s/'80s), but found the second season to be comparatively disappointing, although still way better than, say, House of Cards season 6. :D (Also certainly better than any TV show from the actual '80s.)
lostdog
Posts: 3364
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by lostdog »

dustinst22 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm Watching the latest season of Narcos, great show.

+1. Very good!!
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 19741
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ruralavalon »

Sherlock, a BBC series on Netflix.

This BBC series of 13 episodes, most movie-length, staring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, recounts new Sherlock Holmes stories set in the present day. We like this series very much.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
themesrob
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by themesrob »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:35 am
heartwood wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 am Homecoming on Amazon Prime Video
https://www.amazon.com/Season-1-Officia ... B07FNWYY2L

Free for Prime members,

Series with Julia Roberts in half hour installments. I watched the first episode. I'm not sure whether the buzz is deserved or the buzz is really about Ms.Roberts. I'll probably watch one more.
I thought it was okay. Ending was a bit of a letdown. More could have been done with it imho.
I highly recommend the original Homecoming podcast, available on iTunes (for free). there are two seasons. the casting/voice work is pretty incredible. great if you want to give your eyes a break!
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

dustinst22 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm Watching the latest season of Narcos, great show.
Finished the latest season a few days ago. Tough to take as it reminds me of the fateful day back in 1985 when we learned we had lost Kiki Camarena to the Mexican cartel and gov't corruption.

I worked on a few specific cases mentioned during the last couple of seasons in and for outfits mentioned during the episodes. Brought back a lot of memories associated with that time and those events.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Green Street
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Green Street »

Narcos Mexico, I like it more than the original, Michael Pena is the man!

Not sure if it was mentioned before but Maniac was insane, Cary Fukunaga never fails to disappoint
Searching Through The FiRE
JBTX
Posts: 7137
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

Finally got around to watching man in the high castle on amazon. Had started it before a few episodes but got distracted. Overall I'd say it is pretty well done. First season starts out a bit slow, but by the end of the first season you are kind of hooked, wondering exactly what is going on. It keeps building up to a particular point through the end of season 2, which I thought was great. Season three was a bit of a let down, but still OK.

Also watched Homecoming on Amazon. I actually really liked it. It has a bit of a different feel to it. A lot of pauses. Sometimes a bit quirky and mildly exaggerated. But it worked and I thought the characters were all very interesting. My wife thought it was just OK.

I'll probably watch house of cards just out of momentum but it has been going down hill badly and without Kevin Spacey I have no idea what the entertainment value will be.

Looking forward to taking on Latest Narcos.
User avatar
queso
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by queso »

queso wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 am Thanks for the recommendations. I'm into BB now so will pick one of these others up next.

The Night Manager -- fantastic, but a limited series
The Killing - horribly fantastic...so depressing.
Vikings - fantastic
Finished BB a week or two ago. It sure went fast. Had to jump over to Narcos Mexico since I liked the first two so much. Then will likely pick up with one of these:

Last Kingdom (paused somewhere in season 2, but need to finish)
Outlaw King
Carnivale
The Staircase
Killing Eve
The Night Manager
The Killing
Endeavor
Vikings
Fargo
Silicon Valley
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 67335
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek »

I just finished Season 3 of Fargo on Hulu.

- Season 1 was very good and I was glad I started a subscription to Hulu.
- Season 2 was still good, but not as good as Season 1.
- Season 3 made me regret watching the show. It seemed to be more of an artistic impression / satire presentation than an engrossing suspense plot. There were too many esoteric references that had you wonder what was going on. I recommend skipping Season 3.

I was going to cancel Netflix while I continue to watch Hulu, but my husband finally decides to start watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. So, I now have two streaming subscriptions (and streaming via Amazon Prime).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Harley BenV
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Harley BenV »

I just finished DD season 3 and I was looking forward to season 4 and then a week back I heard Netflix slashed DD too.. :(

Anyway, I have started peaky blinders just now.. heard pretty good reviews of it and so far it looks good. I think I'll stick to it for now.

Btw, Movies are way to crappy on UK region netflix. Anyway How can I change my region for better movies? Read a couple of reviews but nothing looks convincing. https://www.vpnranks.com/purevpn-netflix/
mak1277
Posts: 1638
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mak1277 »

Just finished the Bodyguard on Netflix...6 episode British police/political action drama. Very entertaining, starring the actor who plays Rob Stark on Game of Thrones.
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

Harley BenV wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 am I just finished DD season 3 and I was looking forward to season 4 and then a week back I heard Netflix slashed DD too.. :(

Anyway, I have started peaky blinders just now.. heard pretty good reviews of it and so far it looks good. I think I'll stick to it for now.

Btw, Movies are way to crappy on UK region netflix. Anyway How can I change my region for better movies? Read a couple of reviews but nothing looks convincing. https://www.vpnranks.com/purevpn-netflix/
DD?
JackieBog46
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JackieBog46 »

If you can live without dystopian drama and just want to watch a tremendous family show, watch Heartland. It is the best TV show I've ever seen and, if you like it, there are 11 seasons (187 shows) to catch up on. Here's a review:

https://wwhan12.wordpress.com/2016/04/0 ... ts-finest/
Post Reply