[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mancich

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by mancich »

I like to watch Frasier and Cheers while I workout in our basement gym. The writing never fails to make me laugh :D
Briar Rabbit

Post by Briar Rabbit »

5 came back. True story of 5 hollywood directors who joined the war effort to document WWII.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek »

After receiving a suggestion in Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?, I have merged the Hulu thread into here. This thread is now retitled to include TV shows from any source.

The first post of both threads has been updated to explain the intent.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mancich wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:00 am I like to watch Frasier and Cheers while I workout in our basement gym. The writing never fails to make me laugh :D
My spouse and I are slowly making our way back through Frasier. I was surprised by how many of my best memories from the show came from Season One.
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

MJW wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 pm
mancich wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:00 am I like to watch Frasier and Cheers while I workout in our basement gym. The writing never fails to make me laugh :D
My spouse and I are slowly making our way back through Frasier. I was surprised by how many of my best memories from the show came from Season One.
Frasier is the best! I've watched it at least thee times but it still entertains. I wish there were something (beyond Cheers, which I do also love!) that was similar in comedic style and equally available on Netflix/Amazon Prime.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Gunsmoke; we record it and then watch it every evening.

I also like to watch The Lone Ranger; don't record it tho.

Luv the old-time cowboy stuff....the Good Guy always wins!

Don
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Cobra Kai on Youtube Red. It is the story of Johnny Lawrence from the Karate Kid 30+ years later. Very fun.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Bummed out that "The Americans" final episode aired last night. Haven't seen it yet but it's a great spy thriller!
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm two episodes into the final season of the Americans.

Three episodes into Ozark. Having lived in the Ozarks for 25 years I will say that the portrayals of the people there are interesting. Also, the show wasn't actually filmed there.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

For those who grew up in the 80's, Cobra Kai on YouTube Red (first 2 episodes don't require subscription) is a very well done show. Good comedy and great nostalgia.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

There is a nice 8 episode Ken Burns series, The West, on Netflix. It describes the U.S. expansion from the Mississippi across the continent to the Pacific. We have seen the first 5 episodes, and enjoyed them.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Just finished the Netflix import "Stranger", which is a South Korean crime drama with sub-titles. 18 long episodes so its a big of a ordeal but a very good show on murder and corruption, with excellent acting. Also offers an interesting glimpse into S Korea for those of us who haven't been there.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

Just finished "The Toys that Made Us"; an 8 part documentary about the toy industry.
Great episodes on GI Joe, Transformers, Legos, Star Wars, Star Trek, Hello Kitty toys.
Enjoyed it.
Currently working through Jessica Jones season 2, then plan on Arrested Development Season 5 and Better Call Saul season 3.
Way too much good content on Netflix and not enough time.

As an aside, while I don't generally like to gamble, I'm throwing some more money into Netflix stock based on what I'm seeing.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Just watched another episode of "The Fourth Estate", about inside The New York Times, in real time, from last year.

Amazing trust with the camera crew et al., in terms of letting them watch, listen, record and then trust them with what can be released.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bagle

Post by bagle »

Just finished the heartbreaking finale of "The Americans". My favorite TV drama since Mad Men, Borgen and Breaking Bad.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Trading Places, on Netflix.

This is a very funny 1983 movie starring Eddie Murphy, Dan Ackroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche and Denholm Elliott.

I was inspired to watch again by a Boglehead's forum discussion about commodities trading, link. Apparently the portion of Dodd-Frank prohibiting insider trading of commodities was inspired by this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
midareff

Post by midareff »

Watched "The Last Ship" on Hulu... liked it alot.
hale2

Post by hale2 »

bagle wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 am Just finished the heartbreaking finale of "The Americans". My favorite TV drama since Mad Men, Borgen and Breaking Bad.
We loved the show, but were very disappointed in the finale.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

I've just started Picnic at Hanging Rock on Amazon Prime. It isn't getting great reviews but I'm really enjoying it.
bagle

Post by bagle »

hale2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 pm
bagle wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 am Just finished the heartbreaking finale of "The Americans". My favorite TV drama since Mad Men, Borgen and Breaking Bad.
We loved the show, but were very disappointed in the finale.
Would you have liked it if Stan had arrested Philip and Elizabeth or Paige had gone to Slovenia?
Blues

Post by Blues »

The ending of "The Americans" was pathetic at best. They made Stan, and by association the FBI a laughingstock.
How he could just overlook the recent murder of colleagues and informants, (as well as the penetration of gov't agencies and programs), and just let them escape was beyond absurd and rendered the show pointless.

(Speaking as one who spent a career in federal law enforcement, at times working cases in concert (and sometimes in competition) with the FBI.)

The ending was not reflective of the period involved. Instead it made a mockery of it with the sort of wishy-washy, "everything is relative", pseudo politically correct crap that has pervaded the last couple of decades. I was embarrassed for Stan's character and it made me regret the time invested in the show over the years.

Other than that, I had no problem with it. :oops:
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Blues wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 am The ending of "The Americans" was pathetic at best. They made Stan, and by association the FBI a laughingstock.
How he could just overlook the recent murder of colleagues and informants, (as well as the penetration of gov't agencies and programs), and just let them escape was beyond absurd and rendered the show pointless.
Thanks for the synopsis. I gave up on this a few seasons back but was curious about the outcome.

At first I watched with fascination, but it started to get to the point where I didn't much care for any of the main characters (except Stan and Gaad). I Never could stand Elizabeth -- a heartless cold fish we were supposed to have some sympathy with.

I think Margo Martindale (Claudia) did a great job, as she did in Justified (Mags). She is also good in Sneaky Pete (Audrey).
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bagle

Post by bagle »

Blues wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 am The ending of "The Americans" was pathetic at best. They made Stan, and by association the FBI a laughingstock.

(Speaking as one who spent a career in federal law enforcement, at times working cases in concert (and sometimes in competition) with the FBI.
You obviously know how law enforcement works better than I do.

My take is that Stan let them go, despite their murderous past, because they corroborated Oleg´s story about the bigger patriotic picture: saving the Reagan-Gorbachov arms deal from the KGB´s machinations.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bertilak wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am
Thanks for the synopsis. I gave up on this a few seasons back but was curious about the outcome.

At first I watched with fascination, but it started to get to the point where I didn't much care for any of the main characters (except Stan and Gaad). I Never could stand Elizabeth -- a heartless cold fish we were supposed to have some sympathy with.

I think Margo Martindale (Claudia) did a great job, as she did in Justified (Mags). She is also good in Sneaky Pete (Audrey).
Exactly describes my interest/experience with the show. It got old; fast.
Blues

Post by Blues »

bagle wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 am

(Speaking as one who spent a career in federal law enforcement, at times working cases in concert (and sometimes in competition) with the FBI.

My take is that Stan let them go, despite their murderous past, because they corroborated Oleg´s story about the bigger patriotic picture: saving the Reagan-Gorbachov arms deal from the KGB´s machinations.
Fair point...but there were numerous ways to achieve that end without allowing those two to waltz away with no restrictions.

And why would he buy the story without further vetting? They clearly lied to him at the same time as they proffered that story.

I know it's only a show...but there's only so far I'm willing to bend over backward.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Hey, some of us are still in the middle of watching the final season of the Americans. Geez.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Killing Eve on BBC America. Stars Sandra Oh from Gray's Anatomy as a Brit spy. It is based on the Villanelle novels by Luke Jennings. Villanelle (pun?) is played by Jodie Comer. Season 1 just ended. Season 2 has been ordered. Lots of violence, bad language, and surprises.

I'm sticking it out with Season 2 of Brockmire. Last season I posted

"Brockmire on IFC. http://www.ifc.com/shows/brockmire

Not for the politically correct or those sensitive to language, but it's so funny. Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet are, respectively, a washed up baseball announcer and the owner of a rust belt minor league team. Tyrel Jackson Williams is strong as the team intern. I'm not a BB fan, but its a great show.
"

Season 2 is almost a different show. Azaria is no longer lovable as a curmudgeon. Peet is almost absent. Williams has taken a much larger role. I'll watch out the season but its turned sour.
bcowan12

Post by bcowan12 »

Lately, I've been binge watching episodes of "Chuck" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934814. All 5 seasons are free on Amazon Prime. I used to really enjoy this show during its broadcast run, and have found it to be just as entertaining on second viewing. It's a lot of (campy) fun, with a great cast of characters.
hale2

Post by hale2 »

Blues wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am
bagle wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 am

Fair point...but there were numerous ways to achieve that end without allowing those two to waltz away with no restrictions.

And why would he buy the story without further vetting? They clearly lied to him at the same time as they proffered that story.

I know it's only a show...but there's only so far I'm willing to bend over backward.
+1
Even today it is absurd that an agent would have done what Stan did, but much more so in the 80s.
Blues

Post by Blues »

hale2 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm+1
Even today it is absurd that an agent would have done what Stan did, but much more so in the 80s.
Thanks. :sharebeer

I can't tell you how annoying it was for a couple of days after the show ended seeing all these fluff pieces via online news sites talking about how touching and dramatic the final episode was. I was near apoplectic.

It boggles the mind. They really made Stan a sorry SOB. He'd have to move up several rungs to be a schlemiel.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Oh dear....guess I'll have to add this one to my list.

Please do not let your head explode, Blues. It might be messy. :D
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Blues wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm It boggles the mind. They really made Stan a sorry SOB. He'd have to move up several rungs to be a schlemiel.
Nah. I'd give him schlemiel as it stands. I think it was intentional for his character. He was too much of a nice guy. He was taken advantage of by everyone. I liked him but recognized his weakness; a lost puppy.

EDIT: I should add -- I only saw the first few seasons so perhaps poor Stan went further off the rails after I stopped watching.
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
hale2

Post by hale2 »

Blues wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm
hale2 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm+1
Thanks. :sharebeer

I can't tell you how annoying it was for a couple of days after the show ended seeing all these fluff pieces via online news sites talking about how touching and dramatic the final episode was. I was near apoplectic.

It boggles the mind. They really made Stan a sorry SOB. He'd have to move up several rungs to be a schlemiel.
I agree. When I read the glowing online reviews I was wondering if I had watched the same show.
Blues

Post by Blues »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 pm Oh dear....guess I'll have to add this one to my list.

Please do not let your head explode, Blues. It might be messy. :D
That would assume contents. :wink: (Then again, you did say "might".)

bertilak, yeah...further off the rails would be an understatement. Now don't get me wrong, I've met some FBI agents that I've locked horns with or would never invite out for a beer, (and the opposite is true as well), but this guy? No. Especially in light of comments he had made an episode or two before.

Anyway, I feel vindicated by some like minded souls here. (Not that I required it, but it's nice to know I'm not Sisyphus rolling that damned boulder uphill with everyone else saying "what boulder?, what hill?")
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Nicolas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:09 pm
bondsr4me wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:32 am Gunsmoke; we record it and then watch it every evening.

Don
Gunsmoke is great. I especially like Chester and Festus.
I liked Miss Kitty.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Just finished watching The Ranch and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt -- I love the humor in both!

I'll miss Danny Masterson's character. but I'm looking forward to the addition of Dax Shephard (swoon).
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

DCI Banks
No Second Chance
The Five
Luther
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm halfway through the first season of Bloodline.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I watched the restart of SHADE OF BLUE last night. Really like that show. Too violent and suspenseful for DW though.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:11 pm
Nicolas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:09 pm
bondsr4me wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:32 am Gunsmoke; we record it and then watch it every evening.

Don
Gunsmoke is great. I especially like Chester and Festus.
I liked Miss Kitty.
Retired now, but I worked with a guy whose mannerisms and speech were very much like Festus.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Just finished the second season of "Goliath" on Amazon Prime. The first season was great and was supposed to be a one off mini-series.

They should have left it at that. Disappointing.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Westworld (HBO)
"Rome" (HBO)
Carnivale (HBO)
Battlestar Galactica
Longmire
The Ranch
Gotham
The Expanse
Vikings
Planet Earth 2
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
joelly

Post by joelly »

Currently, we are binge watching Dexter.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm into Season 2 of Bloodline.

The first season took some patience, and while I found just about every main character to be unlikable I was at least basically satisfied by how things played out. Now I'm a few episodes into the second season and having a hard time caring what happens to the Rayburns, given the actions that led to their current plight.

I don't think I'm giving anything away about the series by mentioning that Kevin is a complete tool with little to no redeeming qualities. At least Danny had charisma.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

The Expanse. I think it's the best Sci Fi on TV right now. Maybe the best since Firefly. I think of it as "Game of Thrones in space without some of the stupid stuff / overkill"

The Good Place is wonderful IMHO.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Animal Kingdom..modern day crime family
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Killing Eve from BBC America. Just watched the entire season on Apple TV.

Villanele, the antagonist, is a classic psychopath superbly portrayed by actress Jodie Comer.

The writing is incredible, the cinematography stunning, the acting remarkable.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

MJW wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:08 am I'm into Season 2 of Bloodline.

The first season took some patience, and while I found just about every main character to be unlikable I was at least basically satisfied by how things played out. Now I'm a few episodes into the second season and having a hard time caring what happens to the Rayburns, given the actions that led to their current plight.

I don't think I'm giving anything away about the series by mentioning that Kevin is a complete tool with little to no redeeming qualities. At least Danny had charisma.
It only gets worse.