[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
oldcomputerguy

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:52 pm

DW is now binge-watching Grey's Anatomy, which we never saw on broadcast. She's up to season 10 now, so she has quite a way to go.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 pm

srt7 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:58 am
If you’re a Cumberbatch fan, I strongly urge you to look for a BBC Radio show called “Cabin Pressure”. I believe it’s available on audio CD. One of the funniest programs ever broadcast.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
I was right, apparently you can get it on audio CD from Amazon.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:06 pm

There is now a season 6 of Father Brown on Netflix, which we just finished. Excellent as always.

We have now started The Doctor Blake Myteries, set in Ballarat. Victoria, Australia in the late 1950s.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Been very much enjoying a Spanish Netflix series called El Ministerio del Tiempo (The Ministry of Time). It's a Spanish time travel show that would appeal to history buffs and Dr. Who fans. Not rocket science but pretty good light sci-fi.

"""The Ministry of Time is the best kept secret of the Spanish state: an autonomous government institution that reports directly to the Prime Minister. Its patrols have to watch the doors of time so that no intruder from other eras can change history for their own benefit.

The series follows the assignments of the Ministry's newest patrol: the one formed by Army of Flanders soldier Alonso de Entrerríos, 19th century student Amelia Folch and 21st century Samur paramedic Julián Martínez."""

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Just finished the miniseries Alias Grace, a bit creepy and well done. My husband has been speaking with an Irish accent all week.

We also loved Anne with an E.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm

While parts of it are way too hyperbolic, I am enjoying the series Reign. For some reason, I'm completely into many historical fiction series. Crown, Reign, Troy, etc. Netflix seems filled with them.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

MJW wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 pm
I just finished Season 6 (final season) of Longmire.

What did you think of the ending? While I thought it was terrific, some complain that it didn't align with the character of the roles. I saw much of it coming and enjoyed every last moment.

MJW

Post by MJW » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:57 pm

mrsbetsy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm
MJW wrote:

What did you think of the ending? While I thought it was terrific, some complain that it didn't align with the character of the roles. I saw much of it coming and enjoyed every last moment.
I thought it was alright. I haven't read the books so I don't know how the outcomes compare. I did think the direction they went with the daughter was far-fetched.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Netflix:
Black Mirror
Stranger Things
House of Cards
Narcos
Godless
Dexter
Wild Wild Country (great documentary)
IT Crowd (comedy)

Amazon Prime:
Sneaky Pete
Goliath
Catastrophe

HBO:
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Curb
Silicon Valley

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm

I am currently watching The West Wing. I love how they portray the President so far, Martin Sheen does a great job. I like the character of Donna a lot too.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Continuing a run of Norwegian produced series as recommended upthread a few pages, I just completed Nobel and found it to be very well done with a great story arc that spans time in both Afghanistan and Norway- Great story line, characters you care about, only 8 episodes long and high quality subtitles.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am getting more enjoyment watching this on my PC as opposed to my big screen.
Main character is a Norwegian Special Ops soldier, his wife works for the Foreign Minister (I think) that does aid work in Afghanistan. Good mix of "sniper/ special ops" excitement and political intrigue.

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue May 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm
I am currently watching The West Wing. I love how they portray the President so far, Martin Sheen does a great job. I like the character of Donna a lot too.
Spouse and I watched all seven seasons of The West Wing a while back. We took our time and spread out it over maybe a year. I couldn't believe I missed out on that show when it originally aired. I think we tried it on a whim.

My wife liked Donna, too. I used to hear "Poor Donna..." semi-often while we watched.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 pm

I just got done watching Bosch season 4 on Amazon Prime. This show is by far one of my top 10 shows of all time. High quality police detective drama. If you like this stuff I suggest you check it out. Season 4 was amazing.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 am

lostdog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 pm
I just got done watching Bosch season 4 on Amazon Prime. This show is by far one of my top 10 shows of all time. High quality police detective drama. If you like this stuff I suggest you check it out. Season 4 was amazing.
I couldn't agree more. Seems like no one else talks about it.
Too soon old, too late smart.

gary11

Post by gary11 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

lostdog wrote:
Thanks for the heads up about season 4. It has been my one of my favorites shows. I am still catching up with last year's Marvel shows but I know what will be next! :D

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Wed May 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Have enjoyed several Netflix series, all mentioned here, but my current guilty pleasure is Doctor Foster.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm
This is my favorite TV show. The first 4 seasons are a masterpiece.* Season 5 is rough and uneven, bunch of good episodes mixed with some boring ones. Seasons 6-7 are good, but still nowhere as good as 1-4.

*Not so coincidentally, Sorkin left the show at the end of the 4th season. You'll probably like other Sorkin stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Sorkin#Filmography
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:15 pm

lostdog wrote:
I binged this last weekend, it's my favorite show. If you are interested, Amazon Music has a World of Bosch playlist that has all the great jazz music from the series. I believe there is one on Spotify as well.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Fri May 04, 2018 6:30 pm

lostdog wrote:
+1 and I have read all of the Bosch novels too. I thought season 4 Angeles Flight was the best.

schachtw

Post by schachtw » Fri May 04, 2018 7:07 pm

If you like Nordic Noir:

Borderline - Norwegian dectective drama (1 season to date)
Bordertown - Finish dectective drama (2 seasons to date)

Both excellent, very well done, very engaging.

As mentioned: Occupied is excellent as well. Not far from reality.

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri May 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:15 pm
I binged this last weekend, it's my favorite show. If you are interested, Amazon Music has a World of Bosch playlist that has all the great jazz music from the series. I believe there is one on Spotify as well.
Perhaps to be enjoyed with a Fat Tire.

(I can't remember whether Bosch drinks Fat Tire in any of the books, or if it's clever product placement, or just a random choice for the show)

BooBearBoy

Post by BooBearBoy » Fri May 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Fauda on Netflix. Season 2 starts May 24th.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:54 pm

MJW wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:21 pm
Isabelle77 wrote:

(I can't remember whether Bosch drinks Fat Tire in any of the books, or if it's clever product placement, or just a random choice for the show)
Sounds like an excellent Friday to me!

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was really good!

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Occupied - Love it. I hope we’ll have a season 3 at some point.

Collateral - BBC/Netflix timely political drama with Carey Mulligan. Only 4 episodes.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 pm

bubbadog wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was really good!
Loved it. It’s on Amazon Prime. We should have season 2 soon.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 pm

House Blend wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm
I too recommend "Godless". It was a pleasant surprise to me since I like good old-timey westerns. And at 7-8 hours in length, very binge-able.
Yes, a lot of folks are thumb-upping Godless.

I'm half way through it and agree that it has been pretty good so far.

I think the same crowd is likely to appreciate Hell on Wheels, which, surprising to me, I don't recall seeing mentioned much at all in this thread.

It is a fictional series about the building of the transcontinential railroad in the post Civil War years. It has an enormous cast of characters (fortunately thrown at you in phases, not all at once), including freed slaves, irish criminal gangs, chinese laborers (on the western side), prostitutes, mormons, native americans, and the US cavalry. The main character is a confederate soldier who at the outset is searching for the union soldiers who killed his wife.

The tone is very similar to Godless.

It ran for 5 seasons (ended in ~2016), so there is plenty to chew on.
As to Hell on Wheels, I first started watching it as it was playing first season. After a few shows I tired of it and stopped. Not a lot happens.

Not long ago I went back and watched the entire series on Netflix. Glad I did. It takes a while to get hooked but I did. Like all good shows I was disappointed to be done when I finished it.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

MJW wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:57 pm
mrsbetsy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm
MJW wrote:

I thought it was alright. I haven't read the books so I don't know how the outcomes compare. I did think the direction they went with the daughter was far-fetched.
Agreed. Given 6 seasons of dealing with all the danger and nefarious characters, it seemed like an improbable path for the daughter.

It was a good show, but the ending was just kind of all of a sudden neatly wrapped up.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Wed May 09, 2018 7:47 am

Wild, Wild Country is a very good documentary. Godless was fantastic.
Last edited by MDfan on Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mak17f

Post by mak17f » Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 pm

The Letdown on Netflix- an Australian show about new parents. If you liked Catastrophe on Amazon, I think you would enjoy this one as well. I'm currently on maternity leave with a little one, so it was definitely relevant! :D

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 am

We just finished Babylon Berlin. Really good. If you don't mind subtitles, watch it in german for the full effect.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am

Just finished the 8-part "Safe" UK series. Well acted, interesting missing person/crime drama.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am
Just finished the 8-part "Safe" UK series. Well acted, interesting missing person/crime drama.
I just watched the first episode last night. Looks good.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Better Call Saul
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

telemark

Hap and Leonard

Post by telemark » Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 pm

I haven't read that much of Joe R. Lansdale's copious writings, but I've always enjoyed them when I did. Had I known there was a TV series based on his eponymous characters--for example, if Netflix had bothered to inform me of this instead of incessantly plugging their own mediocre offerings--I would have been watching it long ago. As it is, I happened to read an old review of Blood and Lemonade in which the reviewer happened to mention, as an afterthought, that there is now a series you can stream, and I traced it down to Netflix. Good job, Netflix, with the whole recommendation algorithm thing!

Rants aside, it's there, I know it's there, you know it's there, and it's worth watching.

billy269

Post by billy269 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 am

Arrested Development Fateful Consequences remix of season 4. Very fun in preparation for season 5.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am

Just finished Ozark, great flick if you liked Breaking Bad

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri May 18, 2018 5:15 am

Living on a tiny ant
Give me a Moment
Sacred Cows (the true story of the diary industry)
The secrets we never knew
Dad is in Heaven With Nixon
Cutie and the Boxer
I like killing flies
Dogtooth
Mum and Dad
So sad to see you alive
Join the party but not the past
Blame the poppies
Addicted
Hoarders
Hoarders (Animal Hoarders)
American Pickers
Blame your wife, blame your kids, but don't blame the deli
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri May 18, 2018 8:56 am

MJW wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:21 pm
Isabelle77 wrote:

I’ve been plowing through this based upon this recommendation. It isn’t my favorite, but it is pretty good for this genre and definitely hold my attention. Starting season 4.

gips

Post by gips » Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 am

we enjoyed collateral on netflix, they don't spoon feed you plot points. I watched friday night lights on hulu, thought it wonderful.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am

Right now going to my favorites

The West Wing

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

magazinewriter wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 am
BigFoot48 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am
I just watched the first episode last night. Looks good.
This is my current treadmill show, I'm on episode 3 and enjoying it so far.

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

scb175 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am
Wife and I struggling to find a new Netflix show to watch. We have completed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark, Bloodline, Stranger Things, and we recently just finished Dexter. Have loved all of them -- didn't want Dexter to end! Any recommendations?
Madmen

Bates Motel

Walking Dead

Green Street

Post by Green Street » Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Finished “Safe” and “The Rain” a couple days ago in a 3 day binge, Netflix’s sci-fi shows are really turning out great. Safe had me guessing all they say to the end.
Searching Through The FiRE

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Finally got around to finishing the last season of Halt And Catch Fire, now I'm starting Longmire based off the recommendation from a coworker. I thought it was a 100% Netflix show and figured it would be darker than it is (though it's not bad) but it turns out it was on A&E and then they canceled it, and Netflix (I guess acquired the rights to it?) bought it and produced the final season.

Only 4 episodes in so far, but I like it!
27. Always learning.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Getting into "The Crown" right now, I love history and this one is turning out to be a good series.
John Lithgow is doing an awesome job as Churchill.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri May 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Currently enjoying "Better Call Saul" and "Easy".
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 pm

I've just completed 2 episodes (of 4) of the documentary Evil Genius and find it fascinating! I can't believe I don't remember this event taking place.

mandybee

Post by mandybee » Wed May 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Lillehammer only Netflix show I've watched twice in entirety. Some of the bands that play in the club scenes are real bands being promoted by Steven Van Zandt.
Luther
Black Mirror (Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime excellent too)
Sherlock
Narcos
House of Cards
Safe

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 am

yolli71 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 pm
I've just completed 2 episodes (of 4) of the documentary Evil Genius and find it fascinating! I can't believe I don't remember this event taking place.
Another upvote for Evil Genius. I finished watching this last night and it was intriguing and entertaining. Worth the watch, especially if you liked Making A Murderer and The Confession Tapes.