[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm I just finished Season 2 of Better Call Saul, which is the latest available on Netflix. A quick google search suggests that Season 3 will show up on Netflix a few weeks before Season 4 is released on AMC. Hopefully, that will occur around the end of March.
Season 3 of Better Call Saul showed up a few days ago. I'll get to it as soon as I finish Season 4 of Peaky Blinders.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:25 am
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm I just finished Season 2 of Better Call Saul, which is the latest available on Netflix. A quick google search suggests that Season 3 will show up on Netflix a few weeks before Season 4 is released on AMC. Hopefully, that will occur around the end of March.
Season 3 of Better Call Saul showed up a few days ago. I'll get to it as soon as I finish Season 4 of Peaky Blinders.
We just started season 3. The first episode confused me because it was a weird recap mixed in with new events. I finally figured it out by the end :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Season 6 of Death in Paradise is now available on Neflix :D . This is a BBC series of hour long police dramas set in the Carribbean.

We can hardly wait to start the new season.

We have a few episodes of Misomer Murders which we must finish first.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:47 am
mjeff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am ...I watch the last episode during traveling and there it's not playing so need to bring VPN to get access these episodes. What do you think about it?
https://www.purevpn.com/netflix-vpn/
Using a VPN violates the Netflix terms of service. See: Netflix Terms of Use
6.c: You may view Netflix content through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such Netflix content.
While you may find an answer to your question via google, discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law are totally unacceptable in this forum. Please don't continue the discussion here.
If you want to watch shows that you suspect you won't be able to stream when you are travelling then you might be able to download them in advance to your phone, etc. One thing I've taken to doing is bringing along a Chromecast when I travel. You can plug it into the TV in the hotel room and cast from your device to the TV (either streaming shows or pre-downloaded ones).

I have had the opposite problem for some shows. I watch Netflix some evenings when I'm travelling or visiting and there are some rather interesting shows that you can't get in the US. I've watched parts of few series that I can't now watch the rest of. However, when you return to those countries the shows are still in your queue and it remembers what you've watched already so you can pick up where you left off.

I was cleaning out the shows in my list the other day and there is a really good one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. It's a show that centers around a late night diner and the patrons. Every episode is a different story about one of the patrons and their life. It's quite interesting and well done.
It’s not just that facts don’t seem to matter anymore. It’s that it doesn’t seem to matter that facts don’t matter.
westie

Post by westie »

Peaky Blinders - great series -- 4 seasons 6 episodes a season
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

I like westerns, so I enjoyed Godless (one season, about 6 or 7 episodes). Jeff Daniels is a good antagonist.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

prettybogle wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am Watching the new docuseries ‘wild wild country’ - its about Osho spiritual movement in Oregon 80’s. Must watch !! I should say I am shocked and amazed this thing really happened in the good ole USA. Still cannot believe if it is true. Anyone from those times, is this really true ?
Thanks for recommending this. I am half way through. Amazing that this happened.
four7s

Post by four7s »

Episodes with Matt LeBlanc and some very funny British actors is an inside look at the Hollywood TV industry. It had to be written by an insider and I'm sure Hollywood people will recognize thinly veiled references to real people. If you think that Hollywood is full of narcisstic and shallow people you'll love this series.
KCjoe

Post by KCjoe »

Babylon Berlin

series about Germany in the 1930s. At times a little hard to follow, but very entertaining. Musical score (especially some big band jazz numbers) is great too and can be found on Spotify.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Just completed Santa Clarita Diet and loved it!
Also Better Call Saul is awesome, but you have to watch Breaking Bad first!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Finished watching Dark a few weeks ago - excellent. The story is not hard to follow as some have said - you just need to pay attention.

Finished first season of Jessica Jones and starting second season next week. First season was pretty good.

I've seen pretty much all of the dark crime series (especially the UK ones) and they are pretty much all excellent.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

prettybogle wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am Watching the new docuseries ‘wild wild country’ - its about Osho spiritual movement in Oregon 80’s. Must watch !! I should say I am shocked and amazed this thing really happened in the good ole USA. Still cannot believe if it is true. Anyone from those times, is this really true ?
I'm watching this too and really enjoying it. As someone who has had a fairly traditional life (high school -> college -> jobs) I wonder how people get into these cult situations and what they end up doing if they survive after it collapses.

Reminds me of a quote from Creed in the American version of The Office: "I’ve been involved in a number of cults both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower but you make more money as a leader."

I found myself sympathetic to both sides at first, perhaps even siding with the spiritual movement at first. Now later in the series I am starting to change my mind. Great story so far.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Wind river movie on Netflix. Slow in the action department but good.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

KCjoe wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:14 pm Babylon Berlin

series about Germany in the 1930s. At times a little hard to follow, but very entertaining. Musical score (especially some big band jazz numbers) is great too and can be found on Spotify.
+1
Excellent, excellent show. It certainly gets convoluted, but questions get answered near the end (of Season 1 anyway) and it really comes together nicely.
Great writing, beautiful set, talented acting, interesting music.
The dubbing is unlistenable. Watch in the original German with subtitles!
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Excellent new crime drama, "Seven Seconds." A heart-breaker.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We have just started Doc Martin, a London surgeon moves to a tiny coastal village in Cornwall to be a general practitioner. His lack of social skills and the quirks of the locals furnish the humor and the plots.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:31 am We have just started Doc Martin, a London surgeon moves to a tiny coastal village in Cornwall to be a general practitioner. His lack of social skills and the quirks of the locals furnish the humor and the plots.
We also liked Doc Martin.

Hunt down other Martin Clunes shows -- available for streaming on Amazon and/or Netflix. Men Behaving Badly is petty good. Other of his Sit-Coms are less successful but I enjoyed them just because Clunes was the star.

Clunes also did some animal shows that I enjoyed.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:16 pm Season 6 of Death in Paradise is now available on Neflix :D . This is a BBC series of hour long police dramas set in the Carribbean.

Thanks for the heads-up. We watched the first three episodes of Season 6 last night.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:09 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:16 pm Season 6 of Death in Paradise is now available on Neflix :D . This is a BBC series of hour long police dramas set in the Carribbean.

Thanks for the heads-up. We watched the first three episodes of Season 6 last night.
We have already watched all 8 episodes. We are addicted, we just couldn't stop ourselves.

Now we must wait a year for our next fix :( .
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

Crossing Lines is very good, esp later seasons, --In pursuit of justice, the International Criminal Court's special crime unit hunts down lawbreakers whose offenses cross borders in Europe'. Donald Sutherland is good.

Also for the 'Doc Martin' fans you may or may not know it is filmed in an actual small fishing village in Cornwall using the village buildings. I stayed in the 'SchoolHouse' actually a B&B, my room was in front facing playground, bay and The Doc;s house across the little bay. Got up one morning looked outside and Martin Clunes was standing on front steps of 'The Surgery' as they were trying to get some extra shots in early before people saw them.

It's pretty cool to visit, lots of other significant buildings where important scenes took place (eg the tower where Mrs Tischell when she took the little thing - don't want a spoiler alert) are just a hike up or down the coast from the village.

Of course since I was in the area, I had to stay a few days where Broadchurch is filmed and hike from there, the cliffs are even more impressive in person.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I finished Better Call Saul and think it ended with enough content to carry-over to Breaking Bad. The "gap" between the series has been filled.

I just started Dexter. It was recommended in this thread, along with a Netflix recommendation of "Since you've watched Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad...".

Why do TV shows based in Miami have pastel color themes? Even though I've never watched Miami Vice, that's all I could think of.

Aside from that, this is one twisted show. I agree with the reviews that this show is worth a few awards. I like it. Eight seasons? That's fine by me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm I just started Dexter. It was recommended in this thread, along with a Netflix recommendation of "Since you've watched Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad...".

Aside from that, this is one twisted show. I agree with the reviews that this show is worth a few awards. I like it. Eight seasons? That's fine by me.
One caution with Dexter:

While I thought it was very good overall, IMO it has a flaw common to many long-running series (cf. also Lost) in that the writers eventually seem to run out of ideas and it fizzles out or ends poorly.

To avoid getting into spoilers, let me just say that I regret having watched Season 8, and perhaps the last episode of #7.

Of course the grisliness will make it a non-starter for many.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for the heads up. I ran into the same problem with Nurse Jackie. The last season got boring, but I watched it anyway.
milkshakes

Post by milkshakes »

Nailed It! is one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in years. It’s a reality TV baking contest, but none of the contestants are particularly great bakers. There are 6 episodes.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

I really got a kick out of Nailed It!

Very funny!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

theplayer11 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm
cutterinnj wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm Netflix things I'm watching now:

Orange is the New Black Season 5- it's a bit out there at this point, but entertaining
Master of None Season 2: Aziz Ansari; acting is maybe a bit off by the supporting characters, but a good show
Schitt's Creek: Finished what was on Netflix recently; waiting for more!
Better Call Saul: About to start Season 2
Archer: One of the funniest, raunchiest shows ever made, animated or live: Middle of Season 4
Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 9 or 10? Also pretty funny.
Kimmy Schmidt: We were big 30 rock fans, and love this show, too. Haven't started Season 3 just yet.
My Scientology Movie: Louis Theroux's take on Xenu. Entertaining, a bit scary like all the scientology things
Black Mirror: A modern twilight zone; 1 more episode in Season 3; I can't watch more than one episode at a time- too emotionally draining. The episode, "San Junipero" was one of the most emotionally, well done things I've ever seen on TV. If you don't have a few tears in your eyes by the end, you're not human.
well, count put me down as a non human. I love sci-fi and really wanted to like this show. I watched the first 3 episodes of season 1..didn't enjoy any. I jumped to the San Junipero episode and just don't get how this can be "emotional". My wife is a real softy and she agreed that it just wasn't good. A Disney movie feel IMO. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I skipped to the San Junipero episode just to see; it was okay to me. The episode I really enjoyed was Hang the DJ. It was almost too sweet for me, but satisfied both a sci fi and romance itch simultaneously.
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

jayk238 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am
JBTX wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am
jayk238 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 am
JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 pm
jayk238 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am 7 seconds was good. Look past some of the plot pointsand ithought it was very very well done. Jessica jones is great to kill time.
I don’t think I made it past the first or second episode. Does it get better? Between people making some dumb decisions and tired stereoptypes I just didn’t find it compelling or entertaining at all.
My wife and i rarely find shows to watch together so thats my primary concern. On my own i wouldnt have finished it either -i know what you mean. But the over arching quality -particularly the acting and cinematogeaphy were exceptional. Im glad i saw it for that reason. Plot holes and cringy dialog carry throughout.
If you like Regina King and cop shows, I really enjoyed Southland. Was an nbc show then went to TNT. Don’t know if it is on Netflix or elsewhere.
Yes! Great show. I felt like i was the only one watching it at the time. Too bad it got cancelled.
Southland is currently avilable on Hulu (5 seasons).
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

I powered through this one the past few days and it is decidedly not for everyone, but it has many interesting components:
The "justifications" for each of the groups behavior was a good study in debate- I felt positive and negative vibes from every side. It is also a great "time capsule" to the time period, the way things looked and reported upon pre 24 hour Cable news. I was living in NorCal during this event, took a daily big city newspaper at home and usually snuck in a USA Today at lunch and while I remember some of the aspects of it, I had no idea of the depth of disagreement between the competing participants.
It also cuts across themes that we deal with today, from immigration to political thought, judicial over reach and cultural differences deeply set on both sides.
I say "not for everyone" but possibly more interesting for folks of a certain age or those that lived through the pre internet era.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I am part way through "Glitch". 2 seasons.

7 people come back from the dead in a small community. Better than I expected so far.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I am currently watching The Punisher. So far it's good.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

rosylenm wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm
JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I don’t think I made it past the first or second episode. Does it get better? Between people making some dumb decisions and tired stereoptypes I just didn’t find it compelling or entertaining at all.
My wife and i rarely find shows to watch together so thats my primary concern. On my own i wouldnt have finished it either -i know what you mean. But the over arching quality -particularly the acting and cinematogeaphy were exceptional. Im glad i saw it for that reason. Plot holes and cringy dialog carry throughout.
If you like Regina King and cop shows, I really enjoyed Southland. Was an nbc show then went to TNT. Don’t know if it is on Netflix or elsewhere.
Yes! Great show. I felt like i was the only one watching it at the time. Too bad it got cancelled.
Yeah its old episodes
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

jayk238 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Yeah its old episodes
Yes, they are all old. It only ran for five seasons.
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

I got hooked on Love (the series not the movie). I thought it was very well done and was wrapped up while it was on top. Very smart IMO.

One other comment. Due to the often months long duration between season releases I often find myself starting a series all over again in order to refresh on what took place before I launch into the new release. I wonder if I am alone in this? If not, Netflix has found an ingenious way to keep eyeballs on shows.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

rosylenm wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Yeah its old episodes
Ok but this thread already acknowledged theyre old and it aas cancelled and only showed re runs!
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

jayk238 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:50 am
rosylenm wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 pm
Yeah its old episodes
Ok but this thread already acknowledged theyre old and it aas cancelled and only showed re runs!
Jbtx wrote:

“If you like Regina King and cop shows, I really enjoyed Southland. Was an nbc show then went to TNT. Don’t know if it is on Netflix or elsewhere.”

I was pointing out that the show is currently available for viewing on Hulu.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

We are only a few episodes into Crossing Lines (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2427220/?ref_=nv_sr_2) so far but really liking it.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Another recommendation for "Occupied". I'm still in S1 but glad to have S2 to look forward too.
"Godless" was REALLY good.
"Babylon Berlin" also very enjoyable.
Watching "Longmire", "Death in Paradise", "Hitlers Circle of Evil".

Agree "Dexter" got old & was tough to plow thru the last two seasons. "Nurse Jackie" too.
Two shows I got into for multiple seasons then just had enough & never finished - "Oz" & Sons of Anarchy".
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Another vote for "Occupied"- so long as (well done) sub titles are not a deal breaker for you. Watching alone as my wife does a lot of computer time during her workday and doesn't want to read much more when she gets home at night.
I think the story line is very fresh and clever, many characters you have an interest in and it does move along pretty quickly from episode to episode.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I just finished "Turn: Washington's Spies" and have started the final season of Longmire.
shawn_lad

Re: Netflix, All-time Favorite Shows

Post by shawn_lad »

These would be my top all-time Netflix series picks (genre abbreviation: m = mystery, a = adventure/action, d = drama, s = sci-fi):

#1 Lost (mads)

#2 The 100 (mads)

#3 Jericho (mad), The Killing (mad)

#4 (in alphabetical order, not sure if all are still available)
24 (ad)
Broadchurch (mad)
Dexter (mad, after second attempt to get over the gore but then rewatched the whole thing again!)
Hostages (mad)
Ozark (ad)
Prison Break (mad)
The Shooter (ad)
Travelers (as)

historical drama ones: Downton Abbey, Halt and Catch Fire

#5 ... probably forgetting many other good ones, but the ones above came to mind first...

P.S. TED talks were great but are no longer available :-(
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Retribution
Milo

Post by Milo »

I too recommend "Godless". It was a pleasant surprise to me since I like good old-timey westerns. And at 7-8 hours in length, very binge-able.

I haven't gone through the entire thread but I recommend "Heartland" if no one else has yet. It's a good watch-with-your-entire-family show. It centers around a teenage girl who's a bit of a horse whisperer, Amy Fleming. The Fleming family lives on a ranch in Alberta and the scenery is all horses running through rolling pastures, cows, trees and snow capped Rocky Mountains in the background. Some shows are just perfect for modern wide screen televisions. I think this is one. There are currently 9 seasons of 18 one hour episodes on Netflix. Plenty of content.
Elsebet

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Elsebet »

I just finished The Looming Tower. I was hesitant to watch it but am glad I did, it's pretty good. I kind of hope they don't make a Season 2 though, it felt right to wrap it all up on 9/11.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Lost in Space. I purposely didn't watch the trailer preview, as I wanted to wait until the first season was available.

As someone who grew up watching every episode of the original series, my expectations were high. So much for expectations. The first episode seemed boring to me, but the suspense picked up near the end. I think this series will appeal to kids.

I'm giving this series a few episodes to settle down and will continue watching. Meh.

(I'm also watching Dexter.)
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Milo wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm I too recommend "Godless". It was a pleasant surprise to me since I like good old-timey westerns. And at 7-8 hours in length, very binge-able.
Yes, a lot of folks are thumb-upping Godless.

I'm half way through it and agree that it has been pretty good so far.

I think the same crowd is likely to appreciate Hell on Wheels, which, surprising to me, I don't recall seeing mentioned much at all in this thread.

It is a fictional series about the building of the transcontinential railroad in the post Civil War years. It has an enormous cast of characters (fortunately thrown at you in phases, not all at once), including freed slaves, irish criminal gangs, chinese laborers (on the western side), prostitutes, mormons, native americans, and the US cavalry. The main character is a confederate soldier who at the outset is searching for the union soldiers who killed his wife.

The tone is very similar to Godless.

It ran for 5 seasons (ended in ~2016), so there is plenty to chew on.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

House Blend wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm
Milo wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm I too recommend "Godless". It was a pleasant surprise to me since I like good old-timey westerns. And at 7-8 hours in length, very binge-able.
Yes, a lot of folks are thumb-upping Godless.

I'm half way through it and agree that it has been pretty good so far.

I think the same crowd is likely to appreciate Hell on Wheels, which, surprising to me, I don't recall seeing mentioned much at all in this thread.

It is a fictional series about the building of the transcontinential railroad in the post Civil War years. It has an enormous cast of characters (fortunately thrown at you in phases, not all at once), including freed slaves, irish criminal gangs, chinese laborers (on the western side), prostitutes, mormons, native americans, and the US cavalry. The main character is a confederate soldier who at the outset is searching for the union soldiers who killed his wife.

The tone is very similar to Godless.

It ran for 5 seasons (ended in ~2016), so there is plenty to chew on.
We watched Hell on Wheels when it was on AMC, or whatever network it was on. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Great characters and a good story line.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just finished Season 2 of Occupied. As I mentioned upthread, very well done- storyline, photography, everything- so long as subtitles for about 75% of the dialog isn't a deal breaker. FWIW, I mostly watched on my desktop and I was looking forward to watching on my big screen TV one night when my wife had a business dinner.
I found that watching it on my desktop screen was easier on my eyes than looking at the subtitles on my big screen.
I went searching for information on a possible season 3,but did not find any info. However, a critic who liked this series also recommended "Nobel" as also Norwegian and high quality. Apparently Norwegian TV content is a raising star in the Nordics. (See also the Soprano's like series "Lillyhammer" although I think that had some US production guidance)
srt7

Post by srt7 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:58 am If you’re a Cumberbatch fan, I strongly urge you to look for a BBC Radio show called “Cabin Pressure”. I believe it’s available on audio CD. One of the funniest programs ever broadcast.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Watching Longmire these days. Half way through season #5 now. Robert Taylor is very convincing as Sheriff Longmire. Support cast is good as well.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I just finished Season 6 (final season) of Longmire.

Starting Season 2 of Bosch on Amazon Prime.