[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Koogie

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Koogie »

theplayer11 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm well, count put me down as a non human. I love sci-fi and really wanted to like this show. I watched the first 3 episodes of season 1..didn't enjoy any. I jumped to the San Junipero episode and just don't get how this can be "emotional". My wife is a real softy and she agreed that it just wasn't good. A Disney movie feel IMO. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Agreed. I am also a sci-fi fan but don't like Black Mirror at all (I dislike the creator, which doesn't help).
As a series, I prefer the Philip K Dick Electric Dreams (not on Netflix sadly).

(Also not on Netlix but speaking of sci-fi tv, I just watched the trailer for The Expanse series 3. A great adaptation of the books (on the Syfy network))
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

7 seconds was good. Look past some of the plot pointsand ithought it was very very well done. Jessica jones is great to kill time.
lahob

Post by lahob »

scb175 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am Wife and I struggling to find a new Netflix show to watch. We have completed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark, Bloodline, Stranger Things, and we recently just finished Dexter. Have loved all of them -- didn't want Dexter to end! Any recommendations?
I have watched and enjoyed all of those, except that Bloodline imploded after a promising first season.

Some of these might be to your taste:

Rectify (highly recommended)
Doctor Foster
Walking Dead (first two season at least)
House of Cards (first two season at least)
Sherlock (first two season at least)
American Crime
Making a Murderer
American Vandal

Darker police dramas:

Case (subtitles)
The Fall
The Killing
Broadchurch (first two season at least)
Happy Valley
Luther
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

abner kravitz wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am
scb175 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am Wife and I struggling to find a new Netflix show to watch. We have completed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark, Bloodline, Stranger Things, and we recently just finished Dexter. Have loved all of them -- didn't want Dexter to end! Any recommendations?
Narcos
Peaky Blinders (use subtitles)
If you loved that list, Peaky Blinders would be my #1 recommendation. Not sure about the suggestion for subtitles though. Did we miss out on something?

edit: Boardwalk would also fit the bill. Not sure if it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime though.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:39 pm
Narcos
If you loved that list, Peaky Blinders would be my #1 recommendation. Not sure about the suggestion for subtitles though. Did we miss out on something?

edit: Boardwalk would also fit the bill. Not sure if it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime though.
I just had a little trouble with the thick British accents - before I started using the subtitles I was missing a lot of the dialogue. Some people surely don't need them
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

abner kravitz wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:39 pm
Narcos

I just had a little trouble with the thick British accents - before I started using the subtitles I was missing a lot of the dialogue. Some people surely don't need them
ah! Thanks. I didn't have that issue with Peaky Blinders, but I have had it with some of the other series that have been recommended itt.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

second-guesser wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 pm I hate to admit it but think Man Down is funny.
It is undoubtedly not for everyone because it is quite silly
and sophomoric, however the characters are funny especially the
star Greg Davies.
I have only watched three episodes so it might become old but
so far it has provided me with some big laughs.
Each episode is 23 minutes.
S-G
Just found this. I think it's hilarious. The main character's Dad is awesome! I love the 12 scares of Christmas :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

lahob wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm except that Bloodline imploded after a promising first season.
Really? It's about people who should know better who do bad.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

jayk238 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am 7 seconds was good. Look past some of the plot pointsand ithought it was very very well done. Jessica jones is great to kill time.
We are watching that one now. (7 seconds) Enjoying it and acting is great! Just finished season 5 of Bates Motel.

We liked Sneaky Pete on Amazon too. Season 2 just came out. Thanks for the tips.

LynnC
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

second-guesser wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 pm I hate to admit it but think Man Down is funny.
It is undoubtedly not for everyone because it is quite silly
and sophomoric, however the characters are funny especially the
star Greg Davies.
I have only watched three episodes so it might become old but
so far it has provided me with some big laughs.
Each episode is 23 minutes.
S-G
You are right about "not for everyone."

While watching the 1st episode I found myself thinking "When will this ever end?" For me, it did end -- I shut it off at 20:44 into its 23 minutes. I couldn't bear to go that last 2+ minutes to see the end.

I did like the opening credits with those paper-cut-out marionettes!

If you like silly, hunt down Father Ted for a master course in how to do silly: slapstick, sight gags (some of them split second), funny dialog, and goofy plots. There are a number of running gags that the four main characters play with creative variations like a jazz quartet.

I leave you with a quote: "Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

lahob wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm
I have watched and enjoyed all of those, except that Bloodline imploded after a promising first season.

Doctor Foster
American Crime
Making a Murderer
American Vandal

Darker police dramas:

Case (subtitles)
The Fall
The Killing
Happy Valley
Luther
I think I saw first season or two of the Killing will be rotating off Netflix this month. Too bad.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

skepticalobserver wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:37 pm
lahob wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm except that Bloodline imploded after a promising first season.
Really? It's about people who should know better who do bad.
Agree with Lahob. First season good. Second ok. Third pretty bad. It starts out as plausible but just devolves into people making further ridiculous decisions that continue their downward spiral.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

jayk238 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am 7 seconds was good. Look past some of the plot pointsand ithought it was very very well done. Jessica jones is great to kill time.
I don’t think I made it past the first or second episode. Does it get better? Between people making some dumb decisions and tired stereoptypes I just didn’t find it compelling or entertaining at all.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 pm
I don’t think I made it past the first or second episode. Does it get better? Between people making some dumb decisions and tired stereoptypes I just didn’t find it compelling or entertaining at all.
My wife and i rarely find shows to watch together so thats my primary concern. On my own i wouldnt have finished it either -i know what you mean. But the over arching quality -particularly the acting and cinematogeaphy were exceptional. Im glad i saw it for that reason. Plot holes and cringy dialog carry throughout.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

bstevlin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm
bstevlin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm Warsaw Spies based on an Alan Furst novel. On the surface it would seem this would an intriguing series. However, the dialogue is stilted and almost amateurish. Certainly not up to the BBC standards for writing. There are many BBC actors, but I believe the series is a big disappointment. Maybe others will view my opinion differently. Babylon Berlin (German language with English subtitles) set in Berlin 1929 to 1934. It is my opinion it is Germany’s answer to the Wire the most famous American TV crime drama. The two leading protagonists are a drug addled police inspector suffering from PTSD from WWI and a part time prostitute who aspires to be a homicide detective because she knows she would be good at it. All the characters compromise their ethics to pursue their goals while on occasion show kindness to less fortunate people. The Weimar Republic has a tenuous grip on the rule of law. Stalinists, Trostkyites, Underworld gangs, milatarists and far right groups are all trying to establish their grip on this Democratic city and country. Some of the police with all their faults are trying to unravel the schemes with competing forces often collaborating with each to cover up their objectives. A first rate drama by a German novelist who is known to be a stickler for authenticity. Highly recommended.
Just started "Babylon". Ep one was intriguing & looking forward to the rest. Did you means "Spies of Warsaw"? I enjoyed that very much. As to your "The Wire" reference I've watched that about 4 times now & enjoy it each time like I had never seen it before.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

jayk238 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 am
My wife and i rarely find shows to watch together so thats my primary concern. On my own i wouldnt have finished it either -i know what you mean. But the over arching quality -particularly the acting and cinematogeaphy were exceptional. Im glad i saw it for that reason. Plot holes and cringy dialog carry throughout.
If you like Regina King and cop shows, I really enjoyed Southland. Was an nbc show then went to TNT. Don’t know if it is on Netflix or elsewhere.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am
If you like Regina King and cop shows, I really enjoyed Southland. Was an nbc show then went to TNT. Don’t know if it is on Netflix or elsewhere.
Yes! Great show. I felt like i was the only one watching it at the time. Too bad it got cancelled.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Enjoying Jessica Jones at the moment. I recently cancelled HBO and CIN and added Hulu. Between Netflix and Hulu allowing day after episodes we have all the content we choose. .. and knocked almost $40 a month off the cable bill.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

srt7 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 pm
Goinganontoday wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:40 am The Good Place
Sherlock Holmes
The Great British Baking Show
+1 on Sherlock Holmes. I think Benedict Cumberbatch nails it ... every single time!
If you’re a Cumberbatch fan, I strongly urge you to look for a BBC Radio show called “Cabin Pressure”. I believe it’s available on audio CD. One of the funniest programs ever broadcast.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

jayk238 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am
JBTX wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am
Yes! Great show. I felt like i was the only one watching it at the time. Too bad it got cancelled.
Well I guess there was at least 2! The show had a “real” feeling to it. The characters were complicated but interesting.

I just don’t bother watching anything on major network tv any more. Chances are I won’t like it, and if I do chances are it will get cancelled in 1 or 2 seasons. I’ll wait to see if it sticks and watch on Netflix.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I'm watching a truly bizarre show on Netflix now that is probably a love it or hate it viewing experience. Santa Clarita Diet is a horror-comedy series starring Drew Barrymore about a typical SoCal suburban wife and mom who somehow becomes one of the undead.

Hilarity ensues as she and her husband attempt to cope with her new requirement of human flesh as her sole food source. Although there's gore and some stomach churning visuals, I find the juxtaposition of zombie genre conventions and a sunny California sitcom family hilarious.

As the saying goes, watch at your own risk. Black comedy doesn't begin to do this one justice!
dms1709

Post by dms1709 »

Peaky blinders
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

dms1709 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 pm Peaky blinders
+1;
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ +1. I just finished Season 2 and will start Season 3 tomorrow.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gigemzach

Post by gigemzach »

Flint Town. Great documentary following the police of Flint, Michigan.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Just finished Gomorrah, Season 1, based on a recommendation above. Super dark and violent organized crime series set in Naples. Most of the darkness stems from the desperation of working class youth. Fans of Peaky Blinders will like this. Can't wait to start Season 2.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm into Season 2 of Turn: Washington's Spies.

It's alright. I think the series has more potential than it's living up to, but I'll probably see it through.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

D3YO and I love Beat Bugs. Each episode features a Beatle song.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
mjeff

Post by mjeff »

Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I can watch most of those food-centric shows, as all I want to do afterward is eat.
:happy
barreg

Post by barreg »

I just finished the Frankenstein Chronicles, which I thought was very good. Following the political players wasn't always easy, but Sean Bean was great.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished The Great British Baking Show seasons 1-4 which I adored and it has since ignited a baking hobby in me. I will probably rewatch this series soon.

Now I am watching the Great British Baking Show Masterclass. Already the first episode has me in love with Paul and Mary's banter, I love the British sense of humor. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
mjeff

Post by mjeff »

Just finished watching Season 2 of The Crown.

Amazon Prime, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was excellent!!

But I thought the ending was not good. I watch the last episode during traveling and there it's not playing so need to bring VPN to get access these episodes. What do you think about it?
https://www.purevpn.com/netflix-vpn/
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

bertilak wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:33 pm I'm two episodes into the three-episode Quirke, a noir crime series about Dr. Quirke, a pathologist in 1950s Dublin. Each episode is a movie-length hour and a half.

The plots are somewhat independent in that they are mostly resolved in each episode but they do follow an overall story arc as far as character development goes.

Many murder mysteries toss in so many red herrings it gets difficult to separate the individual threads (Agatha Christie influence!) -- not Quirke. The plots are complex but flow naturally -- meaning you can follow them without Poirot explaining it all to you at the end!

Don't get me wrong, I love Dame Agatha's stories and the many (!) books, movies and TV shows that follow her lead, but it is nice to see something different. Quarke isn't the only example -- there are many others, often in the noir mold, but Quarke is a well done example.
I've searched high and low on Netflix (netflix.com) and via smart tv hook up to Netflix and can't find this. Searched "quirke" as well as "quarke"
Anyone know how to access it?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mjeff wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am ...I watch the last episode during traveling and there it's not playing so need to bring VPN to get access these episodes. What do you think about it?
https://www.purevpn.com/netflix-vpn/
Using a VPN violates the Netflix terms of service. See: Netflix Terms of Use
6.c: You may view Netflix content through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such Netflix content.
While you may find an answer to your question via google, discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law are totally unacceptable in this forum. Please don't continue the discussion here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Doctor Foster
American Crime
Making a Murderer
American Vandal

Darker police dramas:

Case (subtitles)
The Fall
The Killing
Happy Valley
Luther
I think I saw first season or two of the Killing will be rotating off Netflix this month. Too bad.
Thanks for the heads-up on this. It was on our list to watch, but I had no idea it was about to vanish. Searching indicated the first two seasons were supposed to be pulled on March 13. They are still there and we have been binge-watching as much as we can. We are about half-way through Season 2. We should finish tonight or tomorrow; I hope Netflix accommodates us. Very good series so far.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

pshonore wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am I've searched high and low on Netflix (netflix.com) and via smart tv hook up to Netflix and can't find this. Searched "quirke" as well as "quarke"
Anyone know how to access it?
Quirke is on Amazon Prime WITH the added subscription to the BritBox channel. I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. I never remember where some specific show comes from. I have to look it up. They all come from the same streaming box using the same remote so blend together in my mind.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

barreg wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:26 pm I just finished the Frankenstein Chronicles, which I thought was very good. Following the political players wasn't always easy, but Sean Bean was great.
+1 Hopefully we see a season 3.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:01 am

Doctor Foster
American Crime
Making a Murderer
American Vandal

Darker police dramas:

Case (subtitles)
The Fall
The Killing
Happy Valley
Luther
Thanks for the heads-up on this. It was on our list to watch, but I had no idea it was about to vanish. Searching indicated the first two seasons were supposed to be pulled on March 13. They are still there and we have been binge-watching as much as we can. We are about half-way through Season 2. We should finish tonight or tomorrow; I hope Netflix accommodates us. Very good series so far.
I cannot be held responsible for your inevitable lack of sleep and the ensuing consequences! :wink:
Minot

Post by Minot »

Allixi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:37 pm
Yiewsley wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 pm On Acorn TV (via Amazon Prime but you can get it standalone: The Detectorists
Detectorists seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix also

I really enjoyed the first season - perfectly executed British village comedy. However, that theme song is wearisome for binge viewing...
I also binged watched the 1st two seasons and found them delightful, including the theme song which I continued to enjoy throughout my viewing.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

JBTX wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Doctor Foster
American Crime
Making a Murderer
American Vandal

Darker police dramas:

Case (subtitles)
The Fall
The Killing
Happy Valley
Luther
I cannot be held responsible for your inevitable lack of sleep and the ensuing consequences! :wink:
Well, I am certainly not going to accept responsibility for it! 8-)

We finished Season 2 last night so now we don't have to worry about it disappearing from Netflix. Whew!

Now we can proceed with the next two seasons at our leisure--but aware that they could be a target in the near future. Thanks again for the heads-up!
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Second season of "Occupied." Outstanding.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm
JBTX wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Doctor Foster
American Crime
Making a Murderer
American Vandal

Darker police dramas:

Case (subtitles)
The Fall
The Killing
Happy Valley
Luther
Well, I am certainly not going to accept responsibility for it! 8-)

We finished Season 2 last night so now we don't have to worry about it disappearing from Netflix. Whew!

Now we can proceed with the next two seasons at our leisure--but aware that they could be a target in the near future. Thanks again for the heads-up!
I find it odd that Netflix would drop first 2 seasons but keep last couple. That is t usually how they do things. I’m not sure but I think that show started on AMC but may have moved to Netflix?
pennstater2005

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by pennstater2005 »

Getting ready to start Horace and Pete. Have "The Son" starring Pierce Brosnan marked in my stuff for later.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

BashDash wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 am Any comments on The Looming Towers. Thinking of starting it since I finished The Wrong Mans.
I'm really enjoying The Looming Towers. I watched episode 6 last night (bombing of the Cole) and episode 7 will be released tomorrow. I like how they intersperse real news clips with the story. Jeff Daniels should win an award. He's fantastic.

I've also started watching Homeland and it is very good. I think Hulu has five seasons.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I got through 5 minutes of Horace and Pete. The first episode was over an hour :shock: I’m going to start The Looming Towers tonight.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Has anyone here tried HBO Now? Seems like they have a fair amount of decent shows. I’m getting bored of both Netflix and Hulu.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

douginct wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm I wonder if there is a single subscriber who likes the revamped Hulu user interface. Personally I think it’s horrible.
I did a free trial, first time using Hulu.....i was tired of Netflix and couldn't find anything of interest to watch so had cancelled it last year (similar for Prime looooong time ago)

There are a few shows I wanted to finish that I saw on TV years back which is cool. none were on Netflix.

I did do the laptop thing and bookmarked a bunch of things I wanted to watch. having to do it w/ a remote is not easy.

I do hate when clicking to launch the app on Roku I always have to select my own name and go in 3-4 clicks each time just to get back to the series I am watching.

Else, I plan to keep it for a few months to finish a few series and watch a few movies I have bookmarked.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

Watching the new docuseries ‘wild wild country’ - its about Osho spiritual movement in Oregon 80’s. Must watch !! I should say I am shocked and amazed this thing really happened in the good ole USA. Still cannot believe if it is true. Anyone from those times, is this really true ?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

prettybogle wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am Watching the new docuseries ‘wild wild country’ - its about Osho spiritual movement in Oregon 80’s. Must watch !! I should say I am shocked and amazed this thing really happened in the good ole USA. Still cannot believe if it is true. Anyone from those times, is this really true ?

Came to say the same thing. Holy cow! About the time you think things are as crazy as they can get, someone slips a mickey in the homeless guys’ beer. I spend every episode thinking “They’re all wrong. All of them. Both sides. Wrong.”

The crazier thing is that yes, this all happened. I remember it playing out in the news.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:43 am
prettybogle wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am Watching the new docuseries ‘wild wild country’ - its about Osho spiritual movement in Oregon 80’s. Must watch !! I should say I am shocked and amazed this thing really happened in the good ole USA. Still cannot believe if it is true. Anyone from those times, is this really true ?

Came to say the same thing. Holy cow! About the time you think things are as crazy as they can get, someone slips a mickey in the homeless guys’ beer. I spend every episode thinking “They’re all wrong. All of them. Both sides. Wrong.”

The crazier thing is that yes, this all happened. I remember it playing out in the news.
We just finished this one. How on Earth had I never heard of this? What a wild story.