[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
stoptothink
Posts: 8285
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by stoptothink »

pennstater2005 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm
JBTX wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:53 pm
Charlieville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 pm Bloodlines
Started very strong but progressive got worse. After a while you just grew angry at the stupidity of some of the characters.

I enjoyed it if nothing else being set in the keys. Memories from Florida.
Agreed. Glad it was only 3 seasons.
Wife and I tried to watch Bloodlines at least three separate times and were not able to get past the first 2-3 episodes. We both heard how good it is from countless people and had never really heard a single negative review so we kept giving it another shot. IMO, it is terribly boring and not at all well done. Kind of the same cycle we went through with Sons of Anarchy, another (IMO) horribly cheesy and poorly written show, which we just kept trying to soldier through because we heard so many great things about it from others who we usually agreed with on entertainment.
User avatar
beyou
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by beyou »

While I agree the new UI is terrible, hard to beat thevno commercials option. I hate trying to fast fwd over commercials when I use dvr ok cable or other services. I fact hulu live has dvr too, and it stinks like the others. But if you are patient to wait a day, they have streaming w/o commercials for many (not all) shows and no need to dvr (similar to netflix). Lots of exceptions where there are commercials, depending on the deal they have with the network. CBS shows have commercials but generally you can avoid on fox, nbc and abc (these are owners of hulu) for $4/mo.

I dont really think of “favorites on hulu” outside hulu’s own content. Mostly I think of this as a superior cable alternative, since I can watch on other devices, avoid commercials on network tv, add/remove services without calling to tak to a rep, and their own shows are bonus.

Of their own shows, I did find Handmaid fascinating. That said, recent real world events make that show less entertaining and more scary. But not going into detail there. I have found more non-network streaming on Netflix that hulu. I only keep hulu (live) to watch sports and a handful of network shows that I could live without.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 19400
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by ruralavalon »

staythecourse wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:32 am Just finished Shetland and loved it.
Shetland is one of my all time favorites.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Blues »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:29 am
staythecourse wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:32 am Just finished Shetland and loved it.
Shetland is one of my all time favorites.
The missus and I have also enjoyed the first couple of seasons. Nothing over the top, (too much), and likable characters.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2487
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by pennstater2005 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am Kind of the same cycle we went through with Sons of Anarchy, another (IMO) horribly cheesy and poorly written show, which we just kept trying to soldier through because we heard so many great things about it
We made it through a few episodes of SOA and I just couldn't bear it. Every time I saw "Peg Bundy" I laughed.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
staythecourse
Posts: 6993
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by staythecourse »

Blues wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 am
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:29 am
staythecourse wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:32 am Just finished Shetland and loved it.
Shetland is one of my all time favorites.
The missus and I have also enjoyed the first couple of seasons. Nothing over the top, (too much), and likable characters.
Third season is completely different. It felt like a new production team came in to make it more "hip" and "edgy". The third season is same story arc all season (8 episodes). It was good and more drama filled. Excellent acting.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
stoptothink
Posts: 8285
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by stoptothink »

pennstater2005 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am Kind of the same cycle we went through with Sons of Anarchy, another (IMO) horribly cheesy and poorly written show, which we just kept trying to soldier through because we heard so many great things about it
We made it through a few episodes of SOA and I just couldn't bear it. Every time I saw "Peg Bundy" I laughed.
The character played by "Peg Bundy" in Sons of Anarchy is probably the single least believable character in TV history. With her every line and action I became more convinced that the show was actually intended to be satirical.
MrNewEngland
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by MrNewEngland »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 am
pennstater2005 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am Kind of the same cycle we went through with Sons of Anarchy, another (IMO) horribly cheesy and poorly written show, which we just kept trying to soldier through because we heard so many great things about it
We made it through a few episodes of SOA and I just couldn't bear it. Every time I saw "Peg Bundy" I laughed.
The character played by "Peg Bundy" in Sons of Anarchy is probably the single least believable character in TV history. With her every line and action I became more convinced that the show was actually intended to be satirical.
While I do agree the show was corny and over the top I found it really interesting when I found out it was based on Hamlet. It was one of those “snake in the mailbox” moments where it all came together.
stoptothink
Posts: 8285
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by stoptothink »

MrNewEngland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 am
pennstater2005 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am Kind of the same cycle we went through with Sons of Anarchy, another (IMO) horribly cheesy and poorly written show, which we just kept trying to soldier through because we heard so many great things about it
We made it through a few episodes of SOA and I just couldn't bear it. Every time I saw "Peg Bundy" I laughed.
The character played by "Peg Bundy" in Sons of Anarchy is probably the single least believable character in TV history. With her every line and action I became more convinced that the show was actually intended to be satirical.
While I do agree the show was corny and over the top I found it really interesting when I found out it was based on Hamlet. It was one of those “snake in the mailbox” moments where it all came together.
If you have watched anything else written by Kurt Sutter, I think you'll notice a trend; he actually has really creative ideas, but he is just a really (really really really really really...really really...really...) bad writer. In this regard, The Bastard Executioner and the movie Southpaw were even worse. Most of the dialogue is laughably bad.
Rattlesnake
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Rattlesnake »

Bright.... We liked it....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
JBTX
Posts: 6947
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 am
MrNewEngland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 am
pennstater2005 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am Kind of the same cycle we went through with Sons of Anarchy, another (IMO) horribly cheesy and poorly written show, which we just kept trying to soldier through because we heard so many great things about it
We made it through a few episodes of SOA and I just couldn't bear it. Every time I saw "Peg Bundy" I laughed.
The character played by "Peg Bundy" in Sons of Anarchy is probably the single least believable character in TV history. With her every line and action I became more convinced that the show was actually intended to be satirical.
While I do agree the show was corny and over the top I found it really interesting when I found out it was based on Hamlet. It was one of those “snake in the mailbox” moments where it all came together.
If you have watched anything else written by Kurt Sutter, I think you'll notice a trend; he actually has really creative ideas, but he is just a really (really really really really really...really really...really...) bad writer. In this regard, The Bastard Executioner and the movie Southpaw were even worse. Most of the dialogue is laughably bad.
I guess I’m in the distinct minority here but I enjoyed SOA. I liked for what it was. Kind the same way I enjoyed pulp fiction. It wasn’t very deep, but ok plot line, really fun characters and sharp/dark comedy.
Bacchus01
Posts: 3182
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Bacchus01 »

Rattlesnake wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 am Bright.... We liked it....
I liked it. Started rough. Really didn’t get a sense of the struggle or the issue until midway. Would like to see a series.
califboglehd
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by califboglehd »

Just finished season one of End of the F***cking World. Highly recommend this British dark comedy/romance. Two misfit teens end up in odd circumstances. Very well acted and a very funny script.

I also enjoyed the Netflix produced film Mudbound.
At the end of the day... it's the end of the day.
lostdog
Posts: 3165
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by lostdog »

Altered Carbon. Pretty good so far. Blade runner sci fi.
ebrasmus21
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by ebrasmus21 »

lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm Altered Carbon. Pretty good so far. Blade runner sci fi.
I'm interested in giving this a shot. Looks interesting.

Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!
User avatar
burt
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by burt »

I really getting into Dirty Money. So far have watched episodes:

-Volkswagon diesel scam
-Internet Payday loan scam
-HSBC money laundering

burt
lostdog
Posts: 3165
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by lostdog »

burt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 am I really getting into Dirty Money. So far have watched episodes:

-Volkswagon diesel scam
-Internet Payday loan scam
-HSBC money laundering

burt
+1
LynnC
Posts: 798
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: California

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by LynnC »

We are enjoying Dirty Money also.

Shot in the Dark, about photo journalists in LA, who get the shots at night.

Mr. LynnC really liked Taken and Luther.

LynnC
User avatar
burt
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by burt »

SueG5123 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:42 pm Godless was great. I’ve just binged two seasons of The Crown.
+1
The Crown is great. Really enjoyed this series.

burt
User avatar
I Palindrome I
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by I Palindrome I »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Definitely. The first episode was perhaps the most graphically shocking (my wife gave up on the show after that), but probably the least profound / profoundly disturbing (at least among the first two seasons).
ebrasmus21
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by ebrasmus21 »

aaronb wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Definitely. The first episode was perhaps the most graphically shocking (my wife gave up on the show after that), but probably the least profound / profoundly disturbing (at least among the first two seasons).
I think the most consistent theme in the entire series is that of feeling uncomfortable with respect to unintended consequences of technology. The first episode was maybe a bit much in that regard.

I stand by my prior statement - its a great series.
nashirak
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:30 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by nashirak »

Another solid vote for Altered Carbon. Fantastic series.

I also liked Travelers. Great time travel-based sci-fi.

Pretty much all of their Marvel series have been really good.
User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Alexa9 »

Not a big TV fan but
Planet Earth 2 - Just stunning
Green Street
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Green Street »

End of the Fxxking World was surprising good, Altered Carbon did not disappoint.
Searching Through The FiRE
tryterry
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by tryterry »

If you like food, Chef's Table (especially season 1) is great. It features top end restaurants and makes me hungry!
User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2487
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by pennstater2005 »

Just started a Hulu original called "The Wrong Mans". (yes, mans) James Corden is actually in it.

A city council worker is walking to work in the snow. A car swerves around him and wrecks. After the scene is cleared he hears a phone ringing and picks it up. It's a man saying he has until five o'clock to bring the money or his wife will die. And the story starts.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
User avatar
burt
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by burt »

I recently got hooked on "The People v.s. OJ Simpson".
Very interesting and some good acting.
I liked Travolta playing Robert Shapiro.

burt
bberris
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by bberris »

Gomorra. Suburra.

The Italians do crime series incredibly well, and with amazing music.
Start with the movie, which is not as good as the series.

An older series, not on Netflix, called Romanzo Criminale, and another one Il Capo dei Capi. Only the last one is about the Mafia.
Jim85
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Jim85 »

Dark Mirror is excellent. Some episodes better than others but all very interesting. Agree Episode 1 of Season 1 can be a turnoff but glad I kept watching. Also recently watched the first few episodes of Mindhunter, may watch it some more but it's not pulling me back like some of the better series. My wife is enjoying Bloodline and thinks I will like it. Not sure what season she is on. I'll have to check out Ozarks as I was a huge Breaking Bad fan.
JBTX
Posts: 6947
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by JBTX »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm
lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm Altered Carbon. Pretty good so far. Blade runner sci fi.
I'm interested in giving this a shot. Looks interesting.

Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Totally agree on black mirror. I could see how 1st episode may turn off some people. It is mostly unrepresentative of the rest of the series.

The last season was good but didn’t enjoy as much as some others. As others last season was very dark.

Watched a couple of episodes of altered carbon. Haven’t felt it yet but I’ll stick with it a while longer.
ebrasmus21
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by ebrasmus21 »

JBTX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm
lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm Altered Carbon. Pretty good so far. Blade runner sci fi.
I'm interested in giving this a shot. Looks interesting.

Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Totally agree on black mirror. I could see how 1st episode may turn off some people. It is mostly unrepresentative of the rest of the series.

The last season was good but didn’t enjoy as much as some others. As others last season was very dark.

Watched a couple of episodes of altered carbon. Haven’t felt it yet but I’ll stick with it a while longer.
I've watched the first couple episodes of A. Carbon and I've enjoyed it thus far. I wouldn't be able to admit that I'm 100% following the story line but I'm liking it none the less.
pennywise
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by pennywise »

I just finished the 4th season of Grace and Frankie, and have enjoyed it tremendously. The first season seemed a little wobbly between being a comedy and drama, but from the second season on it's been delightful.

Premise is that 2 70-something men, law partners, have been secretly in love with each other and having an affair for many years; in the first episode they finally tell their respective wives, and as the season goes on they divorce them then marry each other. Meanwhile the wives, Grace a buttoned up former businesswoman and very uptight type A and Frankie, a former hippie who maintains her boho cred, move into the couples' shared beach house and become reluctant roommates then best friends. Grace is played by Jane Fonda and Frankie by Lily Tomlin (Fonda is exec producer of the series) and they are superb. The husbands are Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston and they're also very good.

As the series has evolved, it looks at issues related to aging in a gentle but thoughtful way-I don't think there is anything similar on tv right now that focuses on this demographic yet tells an ageless story about families, friendship, and how we make our way in life in the years after our 'prime'.

Highly recommend it--if it isn't immediately engaging, try to stick it out through the first season,it gets better and better!
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7837
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by bertilak »

I must say my favorite shows are on Amazon!

One thing I prefer about Netflix: If they have it, you can watch it. Amazon will often offer up something you need to pay extra for.

I hate that!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
RRAAYY3
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Big Mouth !
User avatar
MichaelRpdx
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by MichaelRpdx »

bertilak wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm I must say my favorite shows are on Amazon!

One thing I prefer about Netflix: If they have it, you can watch it. Amazon will often offer up something you need to pay extra for.

I hate that!
Name names please.

Yeah, Amazon Prime free stuff seems like a tease to get you to pay per view items.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
MJW
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by MJW »

Watched Season 1, Ep. 1 of Turn: Washington's Spies last night. The first episode interested me enough to keep going, but spouse opted out.

My list of "shows I'll have to watch by myself" is getting rather long. Anyone else run into this? :D
stoptothink
Posts: 8285
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by stoptothink »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 pm
aaronb wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Definitely. The first episode was perhaps the most graphically shocking (my wife gave up on the show after that), but probably the least profound / profoundly disturbing (at least among the first two seasons).
I think the most consistent theme in the entire series is that of feeling uncomfortable with respect to unintended consequences of technology. The first episode was maybe a bit much in that regard.

I stand by my prior statement - its a great series.
The first season is just meh, but it gets better. The 3rd season is absolutely fantastic, every episode is very well done. Recently released 4th season took a (small) step back.
Elena
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Elena »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:04 pm Casa de Papel
At the start you might think it's a cross between Run Lola Run and Mission Impossilble.By the end of the first episode those impressions start to fade and by the end of the second they are gone. A very twisty crime of the century series. Note you must be subtitle tolerate or have Spanish.
I second La casa de papel, adding that it also has a bit of the "Big Brother" reality format, and that I found some of the plot lines hard to believe in respect to human behavior. All said, I enjoyed it very much. A different kind of show.
User avatar
I Palindrome I
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by I Palindrome I »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:55 pm
bertilak wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm I must say my favorite shows are on Amazon!

One thing I prefer about Netflix: If they have it, you can watch it. Amazon will often offer up something you need to pay extra for.

I hate that!
Name names please.

Yeah, Amazon Prime free stuff seems like a tease to get you to pay per view items.
From Amazon, I watch:
  • The Man in the High Castle (Amazon original)
  • The Expanse (SyFy)
  • Doctor Who (BBC)
... though I'll admit to flagging enthusiasm for Doctor Who the past several seasons.
bstevlin
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by bstevlin »

Delete post
Last edited by bstevlin on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I was surfing Netflix last night, and saw " The Real McCoys." Show like that couldn't make it thru today, on many levels.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
skepticalobserver
Posts: 1094
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by skepticalobserver »

Just finished "The Five." Based on a Harlen Coben story. OK.

Two episodes into "SouthCliffe." Interesting so far.
JBTX
Posts: 6947
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by JBTX »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:51 pm
JBTX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm
lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm Altered Carbon. Pretty good so far. Blade runner sci fi.
I'm interested in giving this a shot. Looks interesting.

Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Totally agree on black mirror. I could see how 1st episode may turn off some people. It is mostly unrepresentative of the rest of the series.

The last season was good but didn’t enjoy as much as some others. As others last season was very dark.

Watched a couple of episodes of altered carbon. Haven’t felt it yet but I’ll stick with it a while longer.
I've watched the first couple episodes of A. Carbon and I've enjoyed it thus far. I wouldn't be able to admit that I'm 100% following the story line but I'm liking it none the less.
Finished A Carbon. Definitely picked / clarifies up a few epidsodes in. Is it a one season only?
harrington
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by harrington »

Everything Sucks is a good show
Marylander1
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by Marylander1 »

JBTX wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm Finished A Carbon. Definitely picked / clarifies up a few epidsodes in. Is it a one season only?
After Altered Carbon, Richard Morgan wrote another Takeshi Kovacs story called Broken Angels. If the series does well, I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix makes a "second season" from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Angels_(novel) [link contains spoilers]
DSInvestor
Posts: 11362
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by DSInvestor »

A great mountain climbing documentary called Meru is now available on Netflix. It follows Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin and Renan Ozturk as they attempt to climb the Shark's Fin on Mount Meru.
Wiki
sixtyforty
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by sixtyforty »

Just finished Godless series. Really enjoyed it.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
User avatar
beyou
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by beyou »

Halt and Catch Fire


If you want a trip down 1980-90s tech memory lane with some drama. Fictional pioneers of the pc/internet age.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 66270
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Just finished it. I lost track of how many times I saw something and thought "I had one of those..." I couldn't get out of my mind that one of the main characters is a blend of Indiana Jones and John McAfee.

Next up: Altered Carbon. The first episode was interesting. This isn't the best show I've ever seen, but it's worth continuing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JBTX
Posts: 6947
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by JBTX »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 pm ^^^ Just finished it. I lost track of how many times I saw something and thought "I had one of those..." I couldn't get out of my mind that one of the main characters is a blend of Indiana Jones and John McAfee.

Next up: Altered Carbon. The first episode was interesting. This isn't the best show I've ever seen, but it's worth continuing.
It gets better. Stick with it.
Post Reply