Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cutterinnj

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Netflix things I'm watching now:

Orange is the New Black Season 5- it's a bit out there at this point, but entertaining
Master of None Season 2: Aziz Ansari; acting is maybe a bit off by the supporting characters, but a good show
Schitt's Creek: Finished what was on Netflix recently; waiting for more!
Better Call Saul: About to start Season 2
Archer: One of the funniest, raunchiest shows ever made, animated or live: Middle of Season 4
Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 9 or 10? Also pretty funny.
Kimmy Schmidt: We were big 30 rock fans, and love this show, too. Haven't started Season 3 just yet.
My Scientology Movie: Louis Theroux's take on Xenu. Entertaining, a bit scary like all the scientology things
Black Mirror: A modern twilight zone; 1 more episode in Season 3; I can't watch more than one episode at a time- too emotionally draining. The episode, "San Junipero" was one of the most emotionally, well done things I've ever seen on TV. If you don't have a few tears in your eyes by the end, you're not human.

Honestly, there's just way too many great things on Netflix at this point. Why does anyone keep cable?

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 pm

There's so much variety I have trouble picking specific favorites.

Cheers is what we're currently watching though. We recently finished Star Trek: The Next Generation, and I was pleasantly surprised that my wife actually really liked the optimistic sci-fi genre that Roddenberry typified and wasn't turned off by the cheesiness of the first season in particular. Before that was M.A.S.H, which we both really like, and Frasier, which ran about 3 seasons too long. We also mix in some Columbo when the mood strikes.

The BBC Sherlock Holmes mini-series was extremely fun to watch. I thought it was rather over-the-top, but not far enough to spoil it.

There's many great, older shows on Netflix that I think a lot of people are missing out on simply because they're "old."
FandangoDave5010 wrote:The Fall, Season 2 with Gillian Anderson. Serial killer drama. Wish someone would pick up Jo Nesbo's Inspector Harry Hole. Norwegian grisly killer series much like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch.
I tried to watch this after we visited Belfast. It was much too creepy for my wife and she didn't want to watch past the second episode. I would like to finish it on my own at some point.

jmk

Post by jmk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 pm

The 100 is excellent post-apocalypse series with different story arcs each season.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

I bumping this thread because I've been binge watching Netflix and didn't want to distract the discussion in What Movie Have You Recently Watched?.

I'm currently hooked on Better Call Saul, the prequel to Breaking Bad. Excellent.

Breaking Bad is probably the best series I've watched to date.

Just finished: Nurse Jackie. A black comedy. Not bad, but it got a bit boring in the middle season.

Prior series:
Orange is the new black. As noted earlier, it's "out there". This series was the reason I started watching Netflix in the first place.
Archer: An animated spy spoof. I couldn't watch more than 3 episodes and removed it from my viewing activity.

Sci-fi:
Black Mirror: A BBC TV series patterned after the twilight zone. I liked it a lot. Hang on, Season 4 just showed up in my notifications...
Stranger Things. I watched Season 1, then patiently waited for Season 2 to come on Netflix. Very good.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 am

Peaky Blinders - season 4 just came out. Stylish but a little violent. Use subtitles

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Black Mirror - if you're into a dystopian satire on modern tech obsessed life.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Just finished Travelers 2nd season. Very engaging if you are into time travel stories.

Just started Zoo where animals go cuckoo.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm

The Crown Season 2. (interesting to mote the entire cast is being replaced for Season 3)

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am
Sci-fi:
Black Mirror: A BBC TV series patterned after the twilight zone. I liked it a lot. Hang on, Season 4 just showed up in my notifications...
Excellent show. San Junipero may be, in my opinion, the best tv episode I have seen. Completely surreal. I will recommend people watch it twice to pick up on all the things they missed the first time (one thing I still haven't seen mentioned on the internet is that it's always a full moon in San Junipero, an obvious tip off). Small, otherwise throwaway lines, take on a new meaning in context.

Season 4 was excellent but at times a bit depressing, consistent with the rest of the show, particularly "Metalhead". I most enjoyed "Hang the DJ".
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

TNL

Post by TNL » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Current Netflix Faves:

Just finished BBC Drama "River" -- Stellan Skaarsgard stars as a mentally disturbed London detective trying to solve the murder of his partner

Loved "Shetland" -- another BBC drama about a detective in the Shetland Islands (Scotland) who solves murder mysteries.

Secrets of Ancient Rome is a decent documentary series.
The Crown is good
Don't laugh but I also liked "Hart of Dixie"

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm

Ozark (highly recommended for investment advisors!)
Rectify
Just started watching Godless--slow go but great cast

Lillibelle

Post by Lillibelle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Peaky Blinders

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Netflix's "The Ranch". I'm no fan of Ashton Kutcher, but I do watch this just to see Sam Elliott. He reminds me very much of one of my former co-workers: deep-voiced, Southern, and an incredibly dry and funny wit.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Lillibelle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm
Peaky Blinders
Can't wait for this season. No spoilers please!

Any fans of Halt and Catch Fire? Very underrated historical fiction about the ups and downs of the computer industry in the 80s and 90s. One of my favorite shows in the last 2-3 years. Just finished the series finale. Very bummed it will be gone.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:13 pm

My sons got me hooked on the BBC series Sherlock Holmes. A really fantastic modern day update to some of my favorite childhood reading.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Occupied - A Norwegian show (mostly subtitles) set in the future.

A Green Party candidate becomes prime minister of Norway and decides to stop oil production to focus on clean energy. The EU is furious and enlists the help of Russia. Russia moves into Norway (no guns, just threats) and restarts oil production. The tension continues to build during the 10 episodes of season one. Really exciting.

Season two began airing in Norway this past fall but no word on when or if Netflix will air it.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Godless, Ozark, Stranger Things, The Ranch.

Happy Valley and Peaky Blinders - use subtitles for these.

Also checkout www.instantwatcher.com

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:18 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Any fans of Halt and Catch Fire? Very underrated historical fiction about the ups and downs of the computer industry in the 80s and 90s. One of my favorite shows in the last 2-3 years. Just finished the series finale. Very bummed it will be gone.
Thank you! I had heard about that one, but didn’t realize it is on Netflix.

We’ve been rocking out on The Crown lately.

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Pacific Heat.

If you have a dry sense of humour. If you're a prude, you probably won't enjoy it.

gavinman

Post by gavinman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm
Ozark (highly recommended for investment advisors!)
Rectify
Just started watching Godless--slow go but great cast
Godless gets better after the first couple of episodes. Great show.
I really liked Ozark too.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:21 pm

Detectorists (from BBC)
The Crown
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm

I think I'm the last person on earth that cannot get into all these TV shows. Netflix used to be movies, but its getting harder and harder to find actual movies. Just more and more TV shows. I cannot watch these because there is no closure. I tried breaking bad and walking dead at the recommendation of friends but couldn't get through a single season. I hate watching a movie 10 minutes at a time and taking a few weeks to watch a single movie.

I did try Black Mirror recently and liked the fact that every episode is a new movie.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 pm

DW and I watch Netflix every night instead of "TV".
We try to look for long running series so if we get "hooked" we won't be disappointed with just a 2-3 season run.
Lately.
Criminal Minds.
Breaking Bad.
Westworld
Twighlight Zone.

I think it was "Under the Dome" that was excellent but too bad a short run.
Most others already mentioned on the thread.

I don't want too many things in my senior brain so very light shows are good before bed. Not sure if it's all Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Grey's Anatomy.
Big Bang Theory.
Ally McBeal.
Sex and The City
Friends
Scrubs
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JV

Post by JV » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:41 pm

Peaky Blinders!

blackbird

Post by blackbird » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 pm

I enjoyed:

The People v. O.J. Simpson
Mindhunter
The Crown

Netflix is starting to put out some quality productions. I'm looking forward to what they release in 2018.

Blackbird

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 pm

Narcos was entertaining, but didn't make it through Season 1.

Stranger Things was binge worthy.

Heard good things about Ozarks.

The story behind Icarus is incredible... The story is so unbelievable it didn't seem real. If you have any interest in the Olympics or sports in general it's a must watch documentary.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:40 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm
I think I'm the last person on earth that cannot get into all these TV shows. Netflix used to be movies, but its getting harder and harder to find actual movies. Just more and more TV shows. I cannot watch these because there is no closure. I tried breaking bad and walking dead at the recommendation of friends but couldn't get through a single season. I hate watching a movie 10 minutes at a time and taking a few weeks to watch a single movie.

I did try Black Mirror recently and liked the fact that every episode is a new movie.
I feel the exact opposite. For me the long-form storytelling of current television, with its ability to engage in character development few movies, if any, really can, is one of the most fascinating things to happen in any medium in modern times.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 pm

+1 to:
Peaky Blinders
The Detectorists
Godless

And not current, but:
Death in Paradise
The Doctor Blake Mysteries
Hinterland

FCM

Post by FCM » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:25 am

Longmier!

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 am

aristotelian wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm

I loved this show.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 pm

LadyGeek wrote:

Archer: An animated spy spoof. I couldn't watch more than 3 episodes and removed it from my viewing activity.
I’m really shocked at this, Archer is one of my favorite shows ever. It’s incredibly clever and well written. I love all the obscure references (I use google at least once an episode).

What was it about the show that turned you off so much?

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm

The529guy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:42 pm
Black Mirror
I very rarely binge watch but Black Mirror was the exception. I watched Season 4 in one sitting and now I'm like an addict craving for more. I watched this show from the very beginning and it just keeps getting better and better.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:14 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 pm
LadyGeek wrote:

I’m really shocked at this, Archer is one of my favorite shows ever. It’s incredibly clever and well written. I love all the obscure references (I use google at least once an episode).

Perhaps it was the animation. If there were obscure references, I didn't see them. I did see the obvious references, but the show just seemed repetitive to me and I got bored.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:47 pm

pshonore wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm
The Crown Season 2. (interesting to mote the entire cast is being replaced for Season 3)
Is that because they are getting older actors to portray the aging of the characters?

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:51 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:47 pm
pshonore wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm
Is that because they are getting older actors to portray the aging of the characters?
Yes.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Midsomer Murders.

We are currently in season five of nineteen seasons, and enjoy it quite a bit.

We watch Netflix daily, don't watch many regular TV shows.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm

triceratop wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Sci-fi:
Excellent show. San Junipero may be, in my opinion, the best tv episode I have seen. Completely surreal. I will recommend people watch it twice to pick up on all the things they missed the first time (one thing I still haven't seen mentioned on the internet is that it's always a full moon in San Junipero, an obvious tip off). Small, otherwise throwaway lines, take on a new meaning in context.

Season 4 was excellent but at times a bit depressing, consistent with the rest of the show, particularly "Metalhead". I most enjoyed "Hang the DJ".
If you're familiar with Star Trek: The Next Generation, then I highly recommend you watch Season 5: The Inner Light. You may revise your opinion. (All episodes are on Netflix.)

dokeeffe

Post by dokeeffe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Does Netflix have a page where they list everything that they show? I am looking into cord cutting and I would like to know what is available.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Just finished The Crown
Just started latest season of Peaky Blinders

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

dokeeffe wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm
Does Netflix have a page where they list everything that they show? I am looking into cord cutting and I would like to know what is available.
They make it difficult to see until you subscribe. I would suggest doing a free trial. There is no catch if you decide not to do it at the end of the trial, although I think you need to give them a credit card number.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:02 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 pm
Midsomer Murders.

We are currently in season five of nineteen seasons, and enjoy it quite a bit.

We watch Netflix daily, don't watch many regular TV shows.
We really enjoyed that one. We hated hitting the final episode. Enjoy!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Other TV series available on Netflix which we have watched and enjoyed include:
Shetland;
Father Brown;
Death in Paradise;
Hinterland;
Poirot;
Agatha Christie; and
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Love The Crown. I do not overdose on it by watching a
whole season in a few days but maybe one or two a week
so I can savor this great series.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 pm
Agreed. Archer is a great spoof. Bond for immature adults. :)
BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 pm
Just finished The Crown
Just started latest season of Peaky Blinders
Peaky Blinders is still very good. An ever so slight dropoff in quality at the end of this fourth season but still one of the best things going.
Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Helen McCrory are all great to watch.

Watch Taboo if you haven't. It stars Tom Hardy and is created/written by the creator of Peaky Blinders. A little more arty than Peaky Blinders but very well done. Also with great supporting actors like Jonathan Pryce.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Travellers
The crown
Narcos
Mindhunters

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Save the date for "Babylon Berlin" if you like decadent German-language crime dramas set between the wars. I think it starts at the end of the month. It's splendidly produced, lots of Art Deco with a great cast even if the story doesn't quite add up. It's from Tom Tykwer, the guy behind "Run Lola Run."

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Breaking bad
Black Mirror
Narcos
Better call Saul
The good place
Stranger things
Santa Clarita diet
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:44 pm

Just finished binge watching Longmire. While the ending is satisfying, I am sad it is over.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:40 am

mrsbetsy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:44 pm
Just finished binge watching Longmire. While the ending is satisfying, I am sad it is over.
Yes, good ending. I like it when a series ends with clarity instead of leaving it open to interpretation (think Sopranos).

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks for all suggestions.

We watched Lilyhammer last night and loved it.

We were going to watch Fargo, but were prompted to pay...is that normal?

Ed