What Manga/Manhwa Have You Read Recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dziuniek

What Manga/Manhwa Have You Read Recently?

Post by dziuniek »

Bogleheads,

Based on the hugely popular threads: "What Book Are You currently Reading" and "What Movie Have You Recently Watched", I wanted to start a (most-likely not so popular) manga thread. Is anyone childish like me (for my age) and enjoys reading these?

If so... What Manga Have You Read Recently?

I just finished The Breaker. Good Stuff!

Dz
Last edited by dziuniek on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joebh

Re: What Manga Have You Read Recently?

Post by joebh »

Never have. Don't see any reason to start now.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

joebh wrote:Never have. Don't see any reason to start now.
Aaaaaaw.Tear.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Is this a quiz? I would ask what it is but don't want to appear out of touch. Oh what the heck, will admit,
never heard of it. Is it a new form of poetry?
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

Boy, I've been out of the manga/anime scene for a while. I couldn't even tell you what's popular these days.

My greatest regret is that I never finished all of Aria.
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Liar Game. Very entertaining.
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

I have a CrunchyRoll premium subscription, which offers dozens of titles. At the top of my list is Attack on Titan, followed closely by The Seven Deadly Sins and UQ Holder. The latter two have superior art, but the first one has the most gripping story.

I should probably make a second attempt to read Investor Z. Its emphasis on stock picking and day trading turned me off, but I might learn something new about investing if I read it. I'll post the series description here for a laugh:
Mita Norifusa, whose "Dragon Zakura" started a revolution in Japan's world of entrance exams, now brings you another school-drama manga about stock investments! Zaizen Takashi passes his entrance exams at the top of the heap, and starts his first year in junior high school at Dojuku Gakuen, a 130-year old super-advanced institute of higher education. The day after the entrance ceremony, "the secret" of the school is revealed to him, which concerns the existence of an "investment club," consisting only of the top student from each of the 6 grades. Its club members have a mission. They must invest from a capital of 300-billion yen and yield a profit of 8%, which is their annual goal. This is why Dojuku Gakuen, boasting the highest standards of education in all of Japan, is tuition free. "The most exciting game in the world. The ultimate game of ultimate thrill… In other words, money… Investments!" Here begins the story of the genius Zaizen, who bets the entirety of his youth on money. Learn, Zaizen... and make a bundle!
AndrewHMeador

Post by AndrewHMeador »

I enjoyed the Yotsuba & (よつばと)series as my first Japanese-language reading for pleasure. It's available on amazon and at Kinokuniya bookstores. Really easy reading, enjoyable, suitable for everyone but created for children.

http://www.amazon.com/Yotsubato-Vol-Jap ... =yotsubato
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Attack on Titan #76 The Lightning Spear.

I just want to know what's in Erin's basement. Once I know, maybe I will stop reading.

Got into it to humor a client who I'd found out read it...
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

jdb wrote:Is this a quiz? I would ask what it is but don't want to appear out of touch. Oh what the heck, will admit,
From Wikipedia:

"Manga (漫画 Manga?) are comics created in Japan, or by creators in the Japanese language, conforming to a style developed in Japan in the late 19th century.[1] They have a long and complex pre-history in earlier Japanese art.[2]

The term manga (kanji: 漫画; hiragana: まんが; katakana: マンガ; About this sound listen (help·info); English /ˈmæŋɡə/ or /ˈmɑːŋɡə/) is a Japanese word referring both to comics and cartooning. "Manga" as a term used outside Japan refers specifically to comics originally published in Japan.[3]

In Japan, people of all ages read manga. The medium includes works in a broad range of genres: action-adventure, business/commerce, comedy, detective, historical drama, horror, mystery, romance, science fiction and fantasy, sexuality, sports and games, and suspense, among others. Although this form of entertainment originated in Japan, many manga are translated into other languages, mainly English.[4] Since the 1950s, manga has steadily become a major part of the Japanese publishing industry,[5] representing a ¥406 billion market in Japan in 2007 (approximately $3.6 billion) and ¥420 billion (approximately $5.5 billion) in 2009.[
"
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Does the Magna Carter count?

I'm sure this is probably a generational thing. I would have no idea what we were talking about, except that my youngest has been heavily into this since she was little.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

I don't read manga, but I do watch tons of anime.

I just don't find comics as enjoyable as real action
IT-DevOps System Administrator
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

joebh wrote:Never have. Don't see any reason to start now.
Is opera a lesser child of theater with it's acting and music with its singing? No, opera is no mere mash up. Is opera all about sopranos singing in horned viking helms? No. Don't get format and gene confused. Comics tend to get a bad rap for low production teenage wish fulfillment fluff.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki would be a reason to start. It is a classic of the genre. It is beautifully drawn, rich in themas, and appropriate for all ages. Plus it is a complete stand alone production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C ... 28manga%29

Miyazki would go on to found Studio Ghibli which have done many delightful films. If you have seen a Japaneses anima film put out by Disney it is probably one of his.

However there is a rich and varied vein. It is kind of like wandering into a library and asking the librarian if they have a good book. That being said I can't think of any economic, stock, or investment manga out there - but I know that they are.

FYI, I put very little distinction between comics and manga - It is just such a blurry line. 2 more book recommendations, neither anima, for the broadest range. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a nonfiction comic on why comics are important. Maus by Art Spiegelman, a biographical work on his father's survival of the Nazi concentration camps.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

dziuniek wrote:Bogleheads,

Based on the hugely popular threads: "What Book Are You currently Reading" and "What Movie Have You Recently Watched", I wanted to start a (most-likely not so popular) manga thread. Is anyone childish like me (for my age) and enjoys reading these?

Dz
For what it's worth, Wikipedia states that The Breaker is manhwa (Korean comics), not manga (Japanese comics). Maybe this should be an open thread about comics in general.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

If you want to be technical, manga is just the japanese word for comic
anime just means cartoon
IT-DevOps System Administrator
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Sphinx wrote:
dziuniek wrote:Bogleheads,

Dz
For what it's worth, Wikipedia states that The Breaker is manhwa (Korean comics), not manga (Japanese comics). Maybe this should be an open thread about comics in general.
You got me there!

Edit: I'll update the title a bit!
Johno

Post by Johno »

dziuniek wrote: "Manga (漫画 Manga?) are comics created in Japan, or by creators in the Japanese language, conforming to a style developed in Japan in the late 19th century.[1] They have a long and complex pre-history in earlier Japanese art.[2]

The term manga (kanji: 漫画; hiragana: まんが; katakana: マンガ; About this sound listen (help·info); English /ˈmæŋɡə/ or /ˈmɑːŋɡə/) is a Japanese word referring both to comics and cartooning. "Manga" as a term used outside Japan refers specifically to comics originally published in Japan.
And just to clarify, manhwa is the pronunciation of the same Chinese characters in Korean, so it conveniently denotes somewhat similar comics from Korea, but there's actually only one word. It's kind of like when people talk about ramen v ramyeon (which you might hear in more Korean-oriented discussion) noodles.
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

AndrewHMeador wrote:I enjoyed the Yotsuba & (よつばと)series as my first Japanese-language reading for pleasure. It's available on amazon and at Kinokuniya bookstores. Really easy reading, enjoyable, suitable for everyone but created for children.

http://www.amazon.com/Yotsubato-Vol-Jap ... =yotsubato
"The Yotsuba newspaper speaks the truth!"

Love Yotsuba&! . Also a big fan of Azumanga Daioh. I go back and watch/read it at least once a year or so.
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
FuyuKei

Re: What Manga/Manhwa Have You Read Recently?

Post by FuyuKei »

I usually watch more than I read. Just sort of easier since I am usually doing something else (eating, working etc)

Anime recently: Assassination Classroom. Hilarious so far.

Manga - Skip Beat. Really need to catch up on it.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jdb wrote:Is this a quiz? I would ask what it is but don't want to appear out of touch. Oh what the heck, will admit,
Misspelled Magna Carta?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

FuyuKei wrote:Manga - Skip Beat. Really need to catch up on it.
+1 (although I'm already caught up).

Ongoing, currently following
Akatsuki no Yona (KUSANAGI Mizuho)
Black Butler / Kuroshitsuji (TOBOSO Yana)
Bleach (KUBO Tite) - need to catch-up
Bride of the Water God (YOON Mi-Kyung) - series complete, translations ongoing

Completed, re-reading
1. Tokyo Crazy Paradise (NAKAMURA Yoshiki)
2. Prince of Tennis (KONOMI Takeshi)
3. Fullmetal Alchemist / Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (ARAKAWA Hiromu)
4. Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori (SHINOHARA Chie)
5. Basara (TAMURA Yumi)
6. Tenjo Tenge (Oh! great/Ogure)
7. Goong (PARK So Hee)

TBR
Way too many to list

Not retired but I get by on 2-4 hours of sleep. :|
jchiu003

Post by jchiu003 »

I have been following One Piece manga for a while. The anime is no good, but the manga is the best form of entertainment (movie, tv show, book, etc.) I've come across. Great character development, hilarious, emotionally heart wrenching, plenty of action, and all around really fun.
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

jchiu003 wrote:I have been following One Piece manga for a while. The anime is no good, but the manga is the best form of entertainment (movie, tv show, book, etc.) I've come across. Great character development, hilarious, emotionally heart wrenching, plenty of action, and all around really fun.
The main thing holding me back from reading the award-winning One Piece is the time commitment. That series has 80 volumes and no signs of slowing down.

It's been easier for me to nibble on CrunchyRoll simulpub chapters of various titles as they get released.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Sphinx wrote:
jchiu003 wrote:I have been following One Piece manga for a while. The anime is no good, but the manga is the best form of entertainment (movie, tv show, book, etc.) I've come across. Great character development, hilarious, emotionally heart wrenching, plenty of action, and all around really fun.
The main thing holding me back from reading the award-winning One Piece is the time commitment. That series has 80 volumes and no signs of slowing down.

It's been easier for me to nibble on CrunchyRoll simulpub chapters of various titles as they get released.
I imagine that would take at least a week non-stop, haha. (If you read scanlations).

I'm current on One Piece (both Anime and Manga). Must have started reading it from the beginning.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

I disagree a bit here! The anime is good as well, but again, so many episodes at this point. Idk how far you got with watching the Anime, but it does get better, I want to say episode 200+ ?

The annoying part about the anime is how sometimes toward the conclusion of the arc/saga, they will rehash like 5 minutes worth of previous episodes. I see why they do it, but it's still suuuuuuper annoying :twisted:
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

hnzw rui wrote:
FuyuKei wrote:Manga - Skip Beat. Really need to catch up on it.
+1 (although I'm already caught up).

Ongoing, currently following
Akatsuki no Yona (KUSANAGI Mizuho)
Black Butler / Kuroshitsuji (TOBOSO Yana)
Bleach (KUBO Tite) - need to catch-up
Bride of the Water God (YOON Mi-Kyung) - series complete, translations ongoing

Completed, re-reading
1. Tokyo Crazy Paradise (NAKAMURA Yoshiki)
2. Prince of Tennis (KONOMI Takeshi)
3. Fullmetal Alchemist / Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (ARAKAWA Hiromu)
4. Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori (SHINOHARA Chie)
5. Basara (TAMURA Yumi)
6. Tenjo Tenge (Oh! great/Ogure)
7. Goong (PARK So Hee)

TBR
Way too many to list

Not retired but I get by on 2-4 hours of sleep. :|
I've read a bunch of these!

I feel like Bleach has lost some of its appeal recently. I get bored by it now, but will acknowledge that it was once pretty great!
qw3rty

Post by qw3rty »

I was skeptical when I heard the name, but I've really enjoyed Death Note.
ajjulee

Post by ajjulee »

Domu by Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo
Battle Angel Alita by Ukito Kishiro

I have read these a few times. Specially Domu. Otomo's story telling, along with his very impressive artwork, is very cinematic. I have read a bit about how he goes about creating his comics. His world view reminds me of the discipline of Japanese artist Hokusai ( An old man mad about drawing).

Battle Angel Alita, though very clever, is fairly thin in terms of story. I couldn't but be impressed with his flair for ideas and craftsmanship. It's like watching the latest Mad Max : Fury Road. The flamboyance of story telling is so outrageous and fun that it feels bad form and unbecoming to gripe about classical story structure or multilayered characters etc.,
What I write on this forum is sometimes the truth, maybe the whole truth, and not always nothing but the truth, for the purposes of online anonymity.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

dziuniek wrote:I feel like Bleach has lost some of its appeal recently. I get bored by it now, but will acknowledge that it was once pretty great!
The Soul Society and Hueco Mundo arcs were my favorite. Kinda stopped reading when the Quincy arc started. I prefer marathon reading sessions to having to wait for a new chapter weekly.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

qw3rty wrote:I was skeptical when I heard the name, but I've really enjoyed Death Note.

Read a bunch of it. Good stuff.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

hnzw rui wrote:
dziuniek wrote:I feel like Bleach has lost some of its appeal recently. I get bored by it now, but will acknowledge that it was once pretty great!
The Soul Society and Hueco Mundo arcs were my favorite. Kinda stopped reading when the Quincy arc started. I prefer marathon reading sessions to having to wait for a new chapter weekly.
Haha, same. It feels as if though this arc is ramping up very, very slowly.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

qw3rty wrote:I was skeptical when I heard the name, but I've really enjoyed Death Note.
Lol, I have a t-shirt with an apple and Ryuuk.

On a more gruesome note, here's a couple of interesting reads:
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (OTSUKA Eiji) - only have/read up to volume 2, need to buy later volumes
MPD Psycho (OTSUKA Eiji) - only read up to volume 12, not sure if there are English translations of later volumes

Lol, I love manga (and reading in general). I've probably read hundreds of volumes. Manga is actually the reason I went a bit crazy on the iPad upgrades. :P

iPad 2 (2011, bought for the sole purpose of reading comics and manga)
iPad 3 (2012, for retina display - so much better for reading small text)
iPad 4 (2013, for 128GB storage - makes marathon reading sessions easier since no need to constantly delete and add stuff)
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

hnzw rui wrote:
Lol, I have a t-shirt with an apple and Ryuuk.

On a more gruesome note, here's a couple of interesting reads:
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (OTSUKA Eiji) - only have/read up to volume 2, need to buy later volumes
MPD Psycho (OTSUKA Eiji) - only read up to volume 12, not sure if there are English translations of later volumes

Lol, I love manga (and reading in general). I've probably read hundreds of volumes. Manga is actually the reason I went a bit crazy on the iPad upgrades. :P

iPad 2 (2011, bought for the sole purpose of reading comics and manga)
iPad 3 (2012, for retina display - so much better for reading small text)
iPad 4 (2013, for 128GB storage - makes marathon reading sessions easier since no need to constantly delete and add stuff)
Haha, I have a Megatoyko t-shirt. Since I can't wear it in public at my age (ha!) it's become my work-around the house t-shirt. :)
i<3Investing

Post by i<3Investing »

Currently Reading:
  • Tower of God (My goodness this is probably the best story I've ever read even if its a little slow at times)
  • UQ Holder
  • Witch Hunter (very good but it is published very very slowly)
Finished - Really Enjoyed:
  • Annarasumanara (If you haven't read any manga start here and see how artsy / great it can be)
  • Hoshi no Samidare
  • Ares (really interesting war manhwa)
geekpryde

Post by geekpryde »

My son, who is 10, loves:

Bleach by Tite Kubo

Fullmetal Alchemist by
Hiromu Arakawa

One Piece by Eiichiro Oda

Fairy Tail by Hiro Mashima

I personally have never read any, but I certainly buy alot!! :greedy
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

i<3Investing wrote:Currently Reading:
  • Tower of God (My goodness this is probably the best story I've ever read even if its a little slow at times)
  • UQ Holder
  • Witch Hunter (very good but it is published very very slowly)
Finished - Really Enjoyed:
  • Annarasumanara (If you haven't read any manga start here and see how artsy / great it can be)
  • Hoshi no Samidare
  • Ares (really interesting war manhwa)
I'm current with Tower of God and yes it has an awesome storyline. It is as you mentioned, a bit slow at times. When I'm waiting on a new one, I read God of High School. It's not bad, try it!
kazper

Post by kazper »

FuyuKei wrote:I usually watch more than I read. Just sort of easier since I am usually doing something else (eating, working etc)

I started reading assassination classroom based on this recommendation. Highly entertaining thus far.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

kazper wrote:
FuyuKei wrote:I usually watch more than I read. Just sort of easier since I am usually doing something else (eating, working etc)

I started reading assassination classroom based on this recommendation. Highly entertaining thus far.

I believe there is a 2nd manga in that same universe. Just FYI. I can't remember the name, but boy was it good.
kazper

Post by kazper »

dziuniek wrote:
kazper wrote:

I believe there is a 2nd manga in that same universe. Just FYI. I can't remember the name, but boy was it good.
I found out there was a movie, but it didn't have English subtitles. The few minutes I could stand were pretty cool, but it sucked not being able to understand the dialogue.
Topic Author
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Angelus359 wrote:I don't read manga, but I do watch tons of anime.

I just don't find comics as enjoyable as real action
Start watching Drifters.
Very, very good.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Spice and Wolf

Scot Pilgrim (not sure if it counts since it's Canadian)