New or Lightly Used Honda CRV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
J295

New or Lightly Used Honda CRV?

Post by J295 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Helping our daughter out with her first car purchase. She and I will dig in and do an analysis on buying a new or used Honda CRV (1 or 2 years old and still under warranty), but I wanted to check in here to collect any insights.

It will be driven about 10,000 miles per year and length of anticipated ownership is unknown although it will likely be long term (exception if she re-locates to city like NYC where a vehicle isn't necessary). For a number of reasons, the decision to buy has been made (vs. lease vs. continue with the 165,000 mile Accord). The only issue is what model year to pursue.

Thanks.

Nathan Drake

Re: New or Lightly Used Honda CRV?

Post by Nathan Drake » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:05 pm

I've heard a major redesign is coming for next year similar to the Civic. May want to wait for that, but if timing is an issue id probably get it new. Hondas do not depreciate nearly as much as other vehicles so the used car cost won't give you much of a discount if you take into account that the used car decreases the amount of time and miles you will operate the vehicle for.

pbearn

Post by pbearn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:20 pm

If you see savings on a 1-2 year old used CRV I'd go for that. If used price is close to new, then buy new.

I'd always avoid the first year of a new model - it takes 2-3 years to work the bugs out.

The CRV is a great car. We love our 2000. Every once in a while we talk about trading it in... But it's cheap, reliable, comfortable, etc. so we just keep deciding to hang onto it until problems show up. The only repair at all outside of regular maintenace & replaceables was some suspension work at 90,000 (it's got a bit over 100,000 now).

A long time ago I had an 89 Accord, that had minor rust issues but was otherwise a great car... They seem to have dealt with the rust between 89 and 2000.

SR II

Post by SR II » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Hondas retain their value so well (at least in this neck of the woods), it is hard to find a slightly used one that is worth any savings. I'd just buy new, with a full warranty and possibly better financing rate.

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Reluctantly switched to Honda 12 years ago as I had heard so much good about the product and dependability . Owned the Ridgeline truck, Crosstour and then moved up to thir Acura line RDX ADVANCE, MDX ADVANCE(2) and ILX ....Never have looked back either ! Looking at 2017 RDX ADVANCE for July . Used or new(preferred) , a great product for a fair price ! :mrgreen:
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

bpman1192

Post by bpman1192 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:04 pm

My family has a 2009 Honda CRV and it still runs great after 60K miles. I doubt you will find a deal on a 1 or 2 year old used unless the mileage is high. I would opt for a new CRV and maybe compare with Truecar.com vs. what the dealer is offering to see if you can get a great deal that way.

ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:26 pm

We were looking at new or used CRV vs RAV4 two years ago. For both vehicles, there was a negligible difference ($1-2k) between 1-2 years used vs brand new. If the same is true today, I'd opt for new.

joebh

Post by joebh » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:10 pm

I always start a car search using Truecar.com.
At least in my area, I find a good handful of 2-3 year old CRVs with low to moderate mileage which seem very reasonably priced to me.

I'd start out looking for a used car first. If I couldn't find one that I wanted at a price I wanted, then I might consider switching to a new car.
If you start looking for new cars, you'll most likely buy one. And you might miss out on a good deal on used.

With both used and new, the less specific you are about car models/colors/options, the more you have to choose from. Consider alternatives to CRVs, like Toyotas, Subarus, etc. The wider the range of choices, the better chance you have of getting a great deal.

warowits

Post by warowits » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Look up crv vibration issues, crvs from those years can have issues. Honda has a video explaining the problem, only effects the last 2 model years or so. Some people don't care, but you should know
There are an army of people whose pay checks depend on convincing people to invest in ways that are against their self interest. This forum is the volunteer army that fights back!

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Many thanks to all the posters on this issue.

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:41 pm

We've all heard about the reliability of Honda products and CR-Vs in particular.

The one item that would make me choose a used one is the automatic transmission. Beginning in 2015 the CR-V was equipped with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) rather than a traditional automatic transmission that shifts through discrete gears (1 through 3, 4, 5 or 6).

Although CVTs upshift smoothly, they are notoriously unreliable over the long term. Specifically, beyond 50,000 miles. Other makes, including Audi, have had this problem. Naturally I can't speak for Honda's CVT, but I would categorically choose anything that has a traditional automatic transmission (including 2014 and older CR-Vs) over anything with a CVT.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:58 am

warowits wrote:Look up crv vibration issues, crvs from those years can have issues. Honda has a video explaining the problem, only effects the last 2 model years or so. Some people don't care, but you should know
Honda has finally issued a fix for this problem. I'm taking my '15 in next week to be "upgraded".

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:37 am

boffalora wrote:We've all heard about the reliability of Honda products and CR-Vs in particular.

The one item that would make me choose a used one is the automatic transmission. Beginning in 2015 the CR-V was equipped with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) rather than a traditional automatic transmission that shifts through discrete gears (1 through 3, 4, 5 or 6).

Although CVTs upshift smoothly, they are notoriously unreliable over the long term. Specifically, beyond 50,000 miles. Other makes, including Audi, have had this problem. Naturally I can't speak for Honda's CVT, but I would categorically choose anything that has a traditional automatic transmission (including 2014 and older CR-Vs) over anything with a CVT.
I too think the jury is out on CVT transmissions. They are way too new in Honda vehicles for long term reliability studies. Also, if you tow, a conventional transmission is most likely your safest choice.

warowits

Post by warowits » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:57 pm

LifeIsGood wrote: Honda has finally issued a fix for this problem. I'm taking my '15 in next week to be "upgraded".
Hope it works!
There are an army of people whose pay checks depend on convincing people to invest in ways that are against their self interest. This forum is the volunteer army that fights back!

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:43 pm

bpman1192 wrote:My family has a 2009 Honda CRV and it still runs great after 60K miles. I doubt you will find a deal on a 1 or 2 year old used unless the mileage is high. I would opt for a new CRV and maybe compare with Truecar.com vs. what the dealer is offering to see if you can get a great deal that way.
I bought a used 2009 CR-V EX-L (in 2010) with 30,000 miles on it through a high volume used car dealer. It used to be an Enterprise rental car. I now have 155,000 miles on it. Other than tires and brakes, I had to have the AC compressor repaired around 125,000 miles or so; it did not "break" but rather the clutch facing inside the compressor just wore out. At 155,000, I am noticing some exhaust noise, so I will have to have that repaired shortly. It still looks great. I have been extremely pleased with the car and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Just for price reference (as compared to new), this particular dealer currently has 3 CR-Vs in stock:
- 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD, 7,417 miles, $24,998
- 2013 CR-V EX-L AWD, 32,969 miles, $22,498
- 2012 CR-V EX-L AWD, 48,391 miles, $19,498

Personally, I like to buy a late model used and let someone else take the depreciation. I am glad a lot of others like to buy new, creating a supply of used CR-Vs.

keithintx

Post by keithintx » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:54 pm

We just went through this two months ago and found really no difference between a new versus used CRV so we bought a new one. We justified taking the hit on buying a new one due to the cheaper financing offered (which will be paid off earlier than the load term), our situation was unique in that we really needed a car quickly and that we plan on keeping this car for a long time. We are also only somewhat joking when we tell people that we just bought our daughter her first car and she's only 4.5 years old. Baring a wreck it should last us for a long time.

One other thing is that if you are set on a Honda, you can purchase the Hondacare extended warranties through other dealerships not just the dealership where you purchase the car. Basically the way I understand it is that Honda sells the warranties to their dealerships at a certain price and it is up to the dealerships to decide their markup. Some dealerships in the country have decided to markup the warranty very little over their cost ($100) and process as many warranties as they can. Many will say extended warranties are not worth the money but we considered a 120,000 mile/96 month warranty through Honda for $1100 as worth the gamble when the car had ~35 miles on it when we took possession of it. For reference the selling dealership wanted $2400 for the same warranty and would only come down to $1900 when we tried to negotiate. Try to find some of the Honda forums online and you can see the dealerships which participate and can contact them for details and quotes. The cut-off for being eligible to purchase the Hondacare on a used vehicle is something like 35,000 miles or so.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:38 pm

keithintx wrote:We just went through this two months ago and found really no difference between a new versus used CRV so we bought a new one. We justified taking the hit on buying a new one due to the cheaper financing offered (which will be paid off earlier than the load term), our situation was unique in that we really needed a car quickly and that we plan on keeping this car for a long time. We are also only somewhat joking when we tell people that we just bought our daughter her first car and she's only 4.5 years old. Baring a wreck it should last us for a long time.

One other thing is that if you are set on a Honda, you can purchase the Hondacare extended warranties through other dealerships not just the dealership where you purchase the car. Basically the way I understand it is that Honda sells the warranties to their dealerships at a certain price and it is up to the dealerships to decide their markup. Some dealerships in the country have decided to markup the warranty very little over their cost ($100) and process as many warranties as they can. Many will say extended warranties are not worth the money but we considered a 120,000 mile/96 month warranty through Honda for $1100 as worth the gamble when the car had ~35 miles on it when we took possession of it. For reference the selling dealership wanted $2400 for the same warranty and would only come down to $1900 when we tried to negotiate. Try to find some of the Honda forums online and you can see the dealerships which participate and can contact them for details and quotes. The cut-off for being eligible to purchase the Hondacare on a used vehicle is something like 35,000 miles or so.
I think that $1000 for 96 month 120k miles of coverage is a steal of a price. Very well worth the gamble for the peace of mind. IMHO?