The Big Short

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
asterix0
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:42 am

The Big Short

Post by asterix0 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:42 pm

I saw The Big Short on Christmas day and liked it. I thought it dealt with the complex issues of the mortgage crisis in a clear and entertaining way. I wondered if anyone else has seen it and what they think.

User avatar
carorun
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: The Big Short

Post by carorun » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:02 pm

I agree. I thought it presented a very complicated topic in an interesting manner.

User avatar
powermega
Posts: 1131
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 am
Location: Colorado

Re: The Big Short

Post by powermega » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:12 pm

I have the book, but haven't read it yet. Really enjoyed Liars Poker.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by GerryL » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Just came home from seeing the film. Thought they did a very good job of presenting a complicated story with a lot of potentially dry detail in a way that was entertaining. Lots of laughs without trivializing the subject.

A side note: I just looked up The Big Short in IMDB. I have never seen a film with so many credited (and uncredited) appearances. The list goes on forever.

livesoft
Posts: 57209
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Read the book. Saw the movie. Lots of the f word. My spouse now wants to screw Wall Street and donate her winnings from that to charity. But she doesn't understand the difference between selling short and options. This movie might motivate her to study these things.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MoonOrb
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:39 pm

I loved the book and enjoyed the movie. Steve Carrell and Christian Bale especially were terrific. Great comedy-as-truth moments with the idiot mortgage brokers in Florida and some of the Wall Street investment guys, too.

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 3754
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: The Big Short

Post by triceratop » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:16 am

Read the book -- loved it as well as the movie. I was impressed by the accuracy of the film to the source material. I could not spot a single mistake of material fact as compared to the book; the only discrepancy appears to be the nature of troubles in Eisman's/Baum's personal life (brother vs. infant child). I was impressed by Hollywood with this one.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

User avatar
Goldfinger
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 am
Location: Sugar Land, Texas

Re: The Big Short

Post by Goldfinger » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:23 am

I haven't seen it yet, but I am a big fan of Michael Lewis and do plan on seeing it. Read Liar's Poker and Flash Boys. He's an extremely gifted writer.
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros

2cents2
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by 2cents2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:35 am

I thought the movie was very well done. What I liked most about the movie was it sparked discussions about several financial related topics with my movie companions.

pennywise
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by pennywise » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:16 am

I saw it on Christmas Day, excellent movie and as others have said, great job combining some very arcane and challenging financial concepts with rousing entertainment. Side note-I selected it partially because I assumed that most moviegoers on Christmas would be flocking to Star Wars, and was stunned that the theater was packed, for a mid day showing. Not sure if people couldn't get in to see SW or if they genuinely wanted to learn about the financial collapse but nonetheless it was surprising in a good way. Then again, an audience in Miami would seem to be a good target demographic for this film :wink: .

User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3342
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:52 am

A brilliant tragicomedy that explained what really happened in a way that non-financial people could understand.

I went to a Saturday mid-afternoon showing, got there 10 minutes early and got one of the last ten seats available. And entirely adult audience, who at several points were moved to yell out "Yea!" when the bad guys showed their true nature. I've never heard that before.

User avatar
yukonjack
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Rocky Mountain West

Re: The Big Short

Post by yukonjack » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:59 am

I saw the movie and read the book some years ago. Enjoyed both very much and would highly recommend both. I thought Hollywood did a great job with the story. Must be something about books by Lewis that makes a good movie. For those that are interested there is a very good interview of the director, Adam McKay on npr's fresh air program. http://www.npr.org/2015/12/23/460812689/funny-or-die-creator-adam-mckay-takes-on-the-2008-economic-crash-in-the-big-shor

MP173
Posts: 1806
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by MP173 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:57 am

Great book (as are all of Michael Lewis writings) and look forward to the movie.

Ed

four7s
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:37 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by four7s » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:00 pm

A very good movie but I had a difficult time with the (very) loud head banging music. Not enough to not recommend but the loud music interspersed with the need to concentrate on the dialogue was at times off putting.

Carter3
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:51 pm
Location: Western Tennessee

Re: The Big Short

Post by Carter3 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm shocked that so many people loved it. I thought the movie sucked. My wife and I actually awakened thinking wtf did we waste our money on.

clevername
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 pm
Location: FL

Re: The Big Short

Post by clevername » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:34 pm

I loved the book and I thought the movie was excellent. It's very rare for a movie to perfectly capture the spirit of the book, but they nailed it. They took a very technical and complex subject, and somehow managed put it on screen in an entertaining and digestible way. The camerawork, pacing, and storytelling methods (text on screen, breaking the 4th wall, celebrity cameos) were fun clever ways to get a lot of dense info across. I was worried they would dumb it down for mass appeal, but they squeezed a ton relevant info in there. All of the characters were cast and portrayed perfectly, to the point where I identified almost everyone immediately before they were named. I just thought it was a really great movie adaptation overall.

Silverado
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by Silverado » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:44 pm

four7s wrote:A very good movie but I had a difficult time with the (very) loud head banging music. Not enough to not recommend but the loud music interspersed with the need to concentrate on the dialogue was at times off putting.


Thanks for this, as this is a critical point to me. Will wait to watch it in my living room.

jdb
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by jdb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Read the book and really enjoyed it. Also very much recommend movie even though have not seen since read article about how the Wall Street firms really hate the movie, cuts too close to home. But since I almost never go to movies, much prefer the books, will have to rely on other reviewers.

heyyou
Posts: 2773
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by heyyou » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Read the book as a big Michael Lewis fan,
But since I almost never go to movies, much prefer the books, will have to rely on other reviewers.

joebh
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by joebh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:10 pm

I read the book a while back and liked it.

When I heard about the movie, I wondered how the heck they could explain all the concepts to the audience in the context of a move. I'm pleased to say I saw the movie with my wife last week and they did a terrific job. They pulled off the explanations in a funny and (I think) effective way.

If you liked the book, you should like the movie, too.

indexmeasap
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:20 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by indexmeasap » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:31 pm

I enjoyed the movie. I listened to the Michael Lewis/Terry Gross interview from 2010 prior to watching - haven't read the book. Michael Lewis imagined the Judd Apatow crowed to play the characters that represented the "brown hole fund" - have to say I agree.

Having read Liars Poker - it was funny to see the personality of Lewis Ranieri appear briefly on screen, his stained shirt might not have been obvious.

The concept of the synthetic CDO was hard to follow, with all the side bets on the side bets. Additionally, when it came time to collect on their short positions, it wasn't clear to me why they were only able to collect 30 cents on the dollar per the value of the contract.

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 4956
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: The Big Short

Post by bobcat2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:55 pm

I saw the flick on Christmas Eve. I recommend Bogleheads go long on The Big Short. :wink:

BobK

PS - Richard Thaler was excellent. He was one star that I didn't know was in the movie until he showed up bigger than life on the silver screen. :)
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

User avatar
magellan
Posts: 3467
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by magellan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:04 pm

indexmeasap wrote:when it came time to collect on their short positions, it wasn't clear to me why they were only able to collect 30 cents on the dollar per the value of the contract.

I'm guessing they were referring to getting 30% of the payout value of the credit default swaps they bought. Since the underlying investments hadn't completely collapsed yet, and maybe also because the banks were intentionally mispricing them, the swaps were worth 30% of their payout value.

This doesn't mean they're only getting 30% of what they invested. They may have paid something like $.10 on the dollar to buy the swaps. If that was the case, their investment would have tripled in value.
Last edited by magellan on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BetaTracker
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by BetaTracker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:28 am

I really enjoyed it and thought the writing was crisp and intelligent. What shocked me was that my wife didn't particularly care for the movie. She is someone who is interested in news events, but not finances. Her comment was that she generally understood what was going on, but couldn't keep up with the differences between MBS, CDOs, much less synthetic CDOs. She also didn't find the scumbag brokers funny at all or the explanation by the movie's narrator that more than anything the problem was stupidity, not any in-bred cultural issues relating purely to greed. It took some explaining on my part to provide the legal history of how the wall between investment banking and traditional banking had been broken leading up to the crisis. She wondered why that history wasn't a bigger part of the picture. (I should point out she isn't political at all and votes independent.)
I'm not sure if this is of much consequence, but when we went over the weekend after Christmas, the multiplex theater was packed. For our movie, only about a dozen people attended. I just fear that it won't get the widespread acclaim it deserves.
I'd rather be content than happy -- Lao Tzu.

User avatar
TNL
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by TNL » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:55 am

My spouse and I went last Wednesday -- I think it was the 23rd. We live in an area where I wouldn't think many would be interested in this type of content (lots and lots of superhero type and chick flicks movie goers in our area). I live in a place not renowned for an intellectual culture. In fact, our Megaplex theater is showing Star Wars on 5 or 6 screens and was #7 in the country for total sales for Star Wars, in an area where the movie admission prices are lower than the nationwide average.

Anyway, I was shocked to see the theater 75% full for this movie.

Loved the film and though that they did an excellent job of explaining arcane finance concepts in a clever and entertaining way.

The film provoked an in-depth discussion between my spouse and I about -- how can the average person (or even a 5%er, like us) beat Wall Street? My spouse is highly intelligent (although not a college grad) but prone to getting starry-eyed about various things (big houses, boats, etc). I could see my spouse getting sucked into being a market chaser or day-trader. Luckily, I manage the household finances and I am more stay the course. Spouse raised the question of, Can Wall Street be beat by the little guy? My answer -- investing in index funds and avoiding over-leverage. Not a very exciting answer, I'm afraid. Any other thoughts?

fareastwarriors
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Carter3 wrote:I'm shocked that so many people loved it. I thought the movie sucked. My wife and I actually awakened thinking wtf did we waste our money on.


I watched it yesterday with the gf. She didn't get most of the movie...even as I was trying to explain it to her during the movie. Personally I thought the movie was a bit hard to follow too even though I read the book and in general understood the terms they are using and the situation at the time. (If it helps for background, I work at an investment firm.) I also thought it was kind of slow and the characters lacked development. But hey I'm no movie critic. It's good to see most of you guys liked it very much.

The movie made me want to reread the book again.

ddunca1944
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by ddunca1944 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:53 pm

Saw it with DH on Christmas Eve. We bought our tickets ahead of time - it was sold out when we got there. Enjoyed it very much, but also felt really bad for all of the innocent people who lost their jobs, homes and 401ks.
Really well done.
I want to read the book now - I'm on the waiting list at the library.

By contrast we saw SW on Sat. What a waste of time and money. The plot was just a rehash of the original.

Indyxc
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by Indyxc » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:53 pm

magellan wrote:
indexmeasap wrote:when it came time to collect on their short positions, it wasn't clear to me why they were only able to collect 30 cents on the dollar per the value of the contract.

I'm guessing they were referring to getting 30% of the payout value of the credit default swaps they bought. Since the underlying investments hadn't completely collapsed yet, and maybe also because the banks were intentionally mispricing them, the swaps were worth 30% of their payout value.

This doesn't mean they're only getting 30% of what they invested. They may have paid something like $.10 on the dollar to buy the swaps. If that was the case, their investment would have tripled in value.


I'm not an expert, but I took it as, that the banks were only going to pay a portion short value, because they could not afford to pay the total value of the shorted true value, since they themselves were getting hammered in the opposite direction.

I saw the movie as well, and loved it, but at the same time made me angry. If more people were interested in the topic perhaps we'd have some reform. However, they are NOT.

Nothing or very little has changed since the entire debacle, and I get the feeling a lot of the same practices are occurring. In fact my wife's best friend is married to an investment banker who has worked at all the usual suspects, and their group while nice people, pretty much told any amauter trader looses over the long term, since they only trade on insider information.

User avatar
Higman
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by Higman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:22 pm

I just saw the movie and thought it was great. There is another very valuable lesson in this movie and that is management risk in an active fund. Even though Dr. Michael Burry was correct had he shorted mortgages six months earlier he might have destroyed the Scion Capital hedge fund he managed. Timing is critical in big bets. Investors are impatient. This is another reason I only do index funds.

Fallible
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: The Big Short

Post by Fallible » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:41 pm

ddunca1944 wrote:Saw it with DH on Christmas Eve. We bought our tickets ahead of time - it was sold out when we got there. Enjoyed it very much, but also felt really bad for all of the innocent people who lost their jobs, homes and 401ks. ...


It's easy to feel even worse when you consider that many, if not most, of the Wall Street bankers, CEOs, and traders who caused such massive destruction continued, unpunished, in their jobs and kept their millions and billions in pay and bonuses. When you read the book, you will learn how this Wall Street culture came about and why there still is no easy solution. Then you will feel outraged.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

JCrack
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by JCrack » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Fallible wrote:
ddunca1944 wrote:Saw it with DH on Christmas Eve. We bought our tickets ahead of time - it was sold out when we got there. Enjoyed it very much, but also felt really bad for all of the innocent people who lost their jobs, homes and 401ks. ...


It's easy to feel even worse when you consider that many, if not most, of the Wall Street bankers, CEOs, and traders who caused such massive destruction continued, unpunished, in their jobs and kept their millions and billions in pay and bonuses. When you read the book, you will learn how this Wall Street culture came about and why there still is no easy solution. Then you will feel outraged.


I think it's important to recognize that the film emphasized the malfeasance of the investment bankers but ignored or forgave every other culpable party (e.g. politicians, community bankers, insurance companies, and the public).

I'm not charging you with this, but if you formed your views of the recession based on a combination of the book and the movie then you'd be leaving out a large chunk of the story. And in this case, the story is rather arcane, but it's important to understand in its entirety in order to have a prayer to avoid similar scenarios in the future.
Last edited by JCrack on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft
Posts: 57209
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by livesoft » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm thinking the only people who lost their 401(k)s are the employees of firms that had company stock only in their 401(k)s and who worked for Wall Street firms and mortgage companies that failed: Countrywide, BearStearns, Lehmann, etc. While folks did not go to jail, there were upper management who lost quite a lot of money. That AIG guy is probably still trying to sue anybody and everybody.

In the movie and real-life, the folks who lost their homes were the ones whose mortgage interest rate resets made payments prohibitive and/or lost their jobs. The tattooed renter living out of his car did not lose his home.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

KlangFool
Posts: 7178
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by KlangFool » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Folks,

Interview with Michael Burry,

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... oming.html

<< How do you think all of this affected people's perception of the System, in general?
The postcrisis perception, at least in the media, appears to be one of Americans being held down by Wall Street, by big companies in the private sector, and by the wealthy. Capitalism is on trial. I see it a little differently. If a lender offers me free money, I do not have to take it. And if I take it, I better understand all the terms, because there is no such thing as free money. That is just basic personal responsibility and common sense. The enablers for this crisis were varied, and it starts not with the bank but with decisions by individuals to borrow to finance a better life, and that is one very loaded decision. This crisis was such a bona fide 100-year flood that the entire world is still trying to dig out of the mud seven years later. Yet so few took responsibility for having any part in it, and the reason is simple: All these people found others to blame, and to that extent, an unhelpful narrative was created. Whether it’s the one percent or hedge funds or Wall Street, I do not think society is well served by failing to encourage every last American to look within. This crisis truly took a village, and most of the villagers themselves are not without some personal responsibility for the circumstances in which they found themselves. We should be teaching our kids to be better citizens through personal responsibility, not by the example of blame.>>

KlangFool

User avatar
jfn111
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: The Big Short

Post by jfn111 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:26 pm

I saw the film yesterday and I thought it was very well done. I'm just wondering when we'll hear about hedge funds shorting the subprime auto loans?

ddunca1944
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by ddunca1944 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I think there was plenty of blame to go around. Some good friends were looking for a home. They panicked as they watched the prices go up and up and decided to buy even though the price was beyond their comfort zone. They still owe more than it's worth, and are paying about 5% interest because they can't refi. They weren't greedy, but they did give into the "bubble mentality".

Personally, we benefitted as we had decided to sell - we happened to sell at the top of the market and locked in a competitive bid to build a new home. Just dumb luck on our part.

Fallible
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: The Big Short

Post by Fallible » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:46 pm

JCrack wrote:
Fallible wrote:
ddunca1944 wrote:Saw it with DH on Christmas Eve. We bought our tickets ahead of time - it was sold out when we got there. Enjoyed it very much, but also felt really bad for all of the innocent people who lost their jobs, homes and 401ks. ...


It's easy to feel even worse when you consider that many, if not most, of the Wall Street bankers, CEOs, and traders who caused such massive destruction continued, unpunished, in their jobs and kept their millions and billions in pay and bonuses. When you read the book, you will learn how this Wall Street culture came about and why there still is no easy solution. Then you will feel outraged.


I think it's important to recognize that the film emphasized the malfeasance of the investment bankers but ignored or forgave every other culpable party (e.g. politicians, community bankers, insurance companies, and the public).

I'm not charging you with this, but if you formed your views of the recession based on a combination of the book and the movie then you'd be leaving out a large chunk of the story. And in this case, the story is rather arcane, but it's important to understand in its entirety in order to have a prayer to avoid similar scenarios in the future.


I have not yet seen the movie; I have read the book. I base my comments on many books, articles, documentaries, and conversations with other investors and finance people going back to the '80s when I began investing mainly in index funds. I agree a historical perspective certainly is needed to understand, at least going back to the early '80s.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 3021
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Big Short

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I thought the movie was terrific. It took very complex investment vehicles and made them relatively easy to understand (tranches, synthetic CDOs will roll off your tongue after watching the movie).

I find it fascinating that many of movie reviewers in the financial rags didn't like it . . . Although the vast majority of movie critics thought it had an awful lot of merit. I wonder why.

nukewerker
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by nukewerker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:55 am

I saw it with the wife last night and thought it was superb. I am really glad someone captured the essence of what happened and tried to dumb it down as much as possible. The underlying theme about the general public being in la la land was spot on. They still are. 0% interest rates for 7 years is not normal. Wish they would have hit on that some too.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: The Big Short

Post by linenfort » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Saw it today, and it was so great that we couldn't even be bothered by the atrocious behavior of the audience.
It's just like everyone said above (save those few who didn't like it): they took a difficult and potentially mind-numbing topic and made it completely watchable.

Must read more Michael Lewis!
The problem is not that bitcoin is a sham. The problem is that people are nuts.

livesoft
Posts: 57209
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: The Big Short

Post by livesoft » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Unlike some other movies about Wall Street, this one has the chance to become a cult classic. What day of the year would be best to watch it again? The day BearStearns fails? Lehmann? The closing low for the Dow in March 2009?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Fallible
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: The Big Short

Post by Fallible » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:51 pm

linenfort wrote:Saw it today, and it was so great that we couldn't even be bothered by the atrocious behavior of the audience.
It's just like everyone said above (save those few who didn't like it): they took a difficult and potentially mind-numbing topic and made it completely watchable.

Must read more Michael Lewis!


Just curious what was atrocious about the audience behavior? Some posters have mentioned audiences cheering and other positive comments, but I haven't seen anything negative.

If you haven't read Lewis's "Liar's Poker," it's a good one and sort of leads up to "Short." It's about the "kindergarten" Fred Schwed wrote about in his classic "Where Are The Customers' Yachts?"
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: The Big Short

Post by linenfort » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Fallible wrote:
linenfort wrote:Saw it today, and it was so great that we couldn't even be bothered by the atrocious behavior of the audience.
It's just like everyone said above (save those few who didn't like it): they took a difficult and potentially mind-numbing topic and made it completely watchable.

Must read more Michael Lewis!


Just curious what was atrocious about the audience behavior? Some posters have mentioned audiences cheering and other positive comments, but I haven't seen anything negative.

If you haven't read Lewis's "Liar's Poker," it's a good one and sort of leads up to "Short." It's about the "kindergarten" Fred Schwed wrote about in his classic "Where Are The Customers' Yachts?"


Read it, but that's the only one. Was thinking about Boomerang for the second book. Any recommendations?

Audience behavior: well, you know, it depends on the city, theater, the film, time of day, and luck. I'm all for cheers and laughter. And foolishly, I thought that this would attract a better crowd than a slasher film or a comedy. This was the typical stuff that keeps me watching more Netflix and DVDs than films, unless it's shot in 70mm. Talking on cell phones, pointing up at the screen, and generally behaving as if one is in one's own living room. I'm sure that if there existed a Bogleheads-only theater, it would be a better crowd.

Again, though, The Big Short was so enjoyable that we didn't care.
The problem is not that bitcoin is a sham. The problem is that people are nuts.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: The Big Short

Post by linenfort » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

four7s wrote:A very good movie but I had a difficult time with the (very) loud head banging music. Not enough to not recommend but the loud music interspersed with the need to concentrate on the dialogue was at times off putting.


I wonder if Mike Burry listens to Metallica's Master of Puppets in real life. I kind of hope he does. :happy
The problem is not that bitcoin is a sham. The problem is that people are nuts.

Boglegrappler
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:28 pm

It's easy to feel even worse when you consider that many, if not most, of the Wall Street bankers, CEOs, and traders who caused such massive destruction continued, unpunished, in their jobs and kept their millions and billions in pay and bonuses. When you read the book, you will learn how this Wall Street culture came about and why there still is no easy solution. Then you will feel outraged.


I haven't seen the film, and probably won't until its free.

But if you think that there aren't myriad ambitious politicians-in-wait in the offices of any number of federal and state attorneys who haven't looked long and hard at prosecuting something, then you are sadly mistaken. They haven't because it isn't what they wish it was. Film industry viewpoints not withstanding.

Perhaps someday there will be a way to do away with busts......and the booms that precede them. I'm not holding my breath. :)

Fallible
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: The Big Short

Post by Fallible » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:40 pm

linenfort wrote:
Fallible wrote:
linenfort wrote:Saw it today, and it was so great that we couldn't even be bothered by the atrocious behavior of the audience.
It's just like everyone said above (save those few who didn't like it): they took a difficult and potentially mind-numbing topic and made it completely watchable.

Must read more Michael Lewis!


Just curious what was atrocious about the audience behavior? Some posters have mentioned audiences cheering and other positive comments, but I haven't seen anything negative.

If you haven't read Lewis's "Liar's Poker," it's a good one and sort of leads up to "Short." It's about the "kindergarten" Fred Schwed wrote about in his classic "Where Are The Customers' Yachts?"


Read it, but that's the only one. Was thinking about Boomerang for the second book. Any recommendations? ...


I would definitely recommend "Boomerang." It's something like "Short" on an international scale and Lewis again brings in prescient types who see a crisis coming well before others (but nobody quite like Michael Burry).
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: The Big Short

Post by linenfort » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Cool, thanks.
The problem is not that bitcoin is a sham. The problem is that people are nuts.

pennywise
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by pennywise » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:14 pm

livesoft wrote:In the movie and real-life, the folks who lost their homes were the ones whose mortgage interest rate resets made payments prohibitive and/or lost their jobs. The tattooed renter living out of his car did not lose his home.


Of course he lost his home--in the movie the plot point was that this poor sap was diligently paying rent to an owner who was in default on HIS mortgage, and eventually the bank foreclosed so the renter and his family ended up living out of their car. Own or rent, losing your residence is a devastating experience, particularly if you have been trying to do the right thing; recall, in the film he kept repeating that he paid his rent on time but he still ended up suffering.

I took that scene as a deft little vignette illustrating how pervasive and wide ranging the collapse was. Then too, living in Miami it wasn't hard to see lots of that type of collateral damage.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11875
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: The Big Short

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Is this a documentary? Available on Netflix?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

stoptothink
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: The Big Short

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 pm

abuss368 wrote:Is this a documentary? Available on Netflix?


Huge blockbuster. Doubt it ever is available on Netflix.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11875
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: The Big Short

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:26 pm

I am reading on Wikipedia. This is a newly released film related to the financial crisis.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Post Reply