Parking at JFK Airport

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
phatkev

Parking at JFK Airport

Post by phatkev » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:49 am

My wife and I are going on a trip in a few weeks to the Caribbean (first one without our 3 young kids!) from JFK airport. We live in the Hartford area of CT and when looking at flight times and prices, it really made the most sense to fly out of JFK. There are lots of options on getting there and parking, so I would be curious if anyone knows of any good gems of places to park or has any other advice on travelling from CT to fly out of JFK.

Our flight is at 7:30am and we don't feel like waking up at 3am to drive into NYC, so we were planning to do a "park and hotel" where we spend the night in a hotel the night before and it includes parking at an off site location for 7 days. That will cost us $137. We've done this before and it works well, especially for early flights.

However, I'd like to hear your opinions and recommendations on parking at JFK in general.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the
1."park and hotel"
2. long term parking at JFK or a near by parking service
3. public transportation from CT to JFK
4. car service

Thanks.

TechieKid

Re: Parking at JFK Airport

Post by TechieKid » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:08 am

phatkev wrote: 3. public transportation from CT to JFK
Thanks.
I've been told (no personal experience) that the East Coast is rich in "Red Bus" and such services that literally bus people on fairly long trips for fairly cheap, comfortably, on AC buses, which even include WiFi. Sorry, no recommendations as I don't have any personal experience, but that's a pointer for something to look into.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:12 am

For a little money you get a nice nights sleep near the airport and no frantic hassles in traffic (and there can be unexpected traffic in that drive)... Just do the hotel the night before and their long-term parking.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:40 am

rob wrote:For a little money you get a nice nights sleep near the airport and no frantic hassles in traffic (and there can be unexpected traffic in that drive)... Just do the hotel the night before and their long-term parking.
+1

This is a no brainer. My parents, who live much closer to JFK than you, do this regularly. Many airport hotels do this. Pick a hotel with an airport shuttle.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:52 am

I have used one way rental cars to get to and from an airport.

This can be a lot quicker than using a hotel shuttle which you might have to wait a long time for especially in bad weather. You can also get a hotel that is not right at the airport.

You will likely need to check with several of the rental car companies web sites to check on the prices since the large websites like Expedia will not show your local rental car offices. The prices for one way rentals will vary wildly since it depends on where the companies want their cars repositioned to.

Be sure to get good directions to the local car rental office since they can be sort of hard to find if they are in someplace like a car dealership. Also double check on what hours they are open.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 am

Your plan sounds good.

JFK long term parking is at least $24 a day and requires a 20 minute free tram ride to your terminal. It is not that fun at 6am!

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:41 am

Try http://www.globalairportparking.com/ Typically parking is at a area hotel. Have used several times, pricing is lower than other off-site parking options.

P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:48 am

I have used http://www.jfklongtermparking.com/ a few times. $15 a day plus tax. One day free for stays of 7 days or more.

Hotel and parking for $137 sounds like a great deal. What hotel is that?

wxz76

Post by wxz76 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:01 am

I used airportparkinginc.com and paid $135 for 11 days

Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:17 am

+1 for jfklongtermparking.com - have used it twice for family trips and the shuttle service works great. Friendly (at least by NYC standards)

But you sound you like you found a great deal - I could never find a hotel and parking for even twice the long term cost, so we would drive in the middle of the night. Your $137 is a no-brainer as long as the hotel is reputable - make sure to check reviews and call the place on how often their shuttle runs when YOU need it... Nothing will be more costly than not making your flight because the hotel runs the shuttle every hour early in the AM on Sunday or something and you think it would be every 15 minutes...

4strings

Post by 4strings » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Just use Uber...

P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Groupon has an offer for JFK parking. https://www.groupon.com/deals/park-plus ... ervice-llc

Go to the company website and put in your dates. https://www.parkplusairportparking.com/
Enter "Groupon" in the promo code box. I got $110 for 9 days in March.

Note the blackout days.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 am

Just wondering if there are any updates to this thread. Two small kids in tow would love decent price and convenience for long term parking of 7 days. Thanks!!