How to Buy Luxury Watches/Jewelry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bill McNeal

How to Buy Luxury Watches/Jewelry

Post by Bill McNeal »

I'd like to buy a nice watch, and am eyeing a Cartier. The prices are pretty serious and am hoping to find a deal. Do these items ever go on sale? Any gift card or credit card point strategies that can lower the cost? I want to buy new.
StormShadow

Re: How to Buy Luxury Watches/Jewelry

Post by StormShadow »

You can try to negotiate by gettiing a quote from one store and compare with another.

IMO, buying retail on a luxury watch is a losers game... especially with Cartier. They depreciate a lot once out the door. If you're willing to get a pre-owned, you'll save a ton.
Avo

Post by Avo »

Check out http://forums.watchuseek.com for all things watch related.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

The markups on luxury watches are huge. I would buy from an independent watch shop and not a chain store, and offer cash.

I bought an omega several years ago and ended up with a 34% discount. Pretty amazing how easy this is once you spread a stack of fifties on the counter.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I would shop but not necessarily buy At Amazon :happy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... ches%2C238
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
swl

Post by swl »

StormShadow wrote:You can try to negotiate by gettiing a quote from one store and compare with another.

IMO, buying retail on a luxury watch is a losers game... especially with Cartier. They depreciate a lot once out the door. If you're willing to get a pre-owned, you'll save a ton.
Ditto. I bought a couple of used watches from http://www.bernardwatch.com in the past and have been pretty happy. They seemed pretty honest about watch condition and what it came with (original box, papers, etc).

If you buy new, many high end brands will have limits on what discounts the dealer can offer (usually around 10%). You can usually get the dealer to cover sales tax on top of whatever the max brand discount is. If not, just call one of the bajillion Vegas watch shops and get it shipped to you (assuming you're not in NV).
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Be aware that most luxury brands will not provide warranty support for online sales. You pretty much have to buy them at a B&M (high markup) authorized dealer.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I would recommend an independent shop locally as well. Nice watches need service and you would need to find a place you can trust for maintenance of your watch.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Here is an article on luxury watches in the NYTimes today: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/25/nyreg ... e-say.html
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

unclescrooge wrote:The markups on luxury watches are huge. I would buy from an independent watch shop and not a chain store, and offer cash.

I bought an omega several years ago and ended up with a 34% discount. Pretty amazing how easy this is once you spread a stack of fifties on the counter.
Second on a large local jeweler. We bought a Patek Philippe several years ago and were quoted a 20% discount without even asking at a jeweler we'd been doing business with for years. I tried to charge it to my credit card, but he would not hold the price if I did that. He did offer store credit to be paid off over three months at no interest. It came mint in a Patek box with all the paperwork.

This store also offered many brands of luxury watches, all at a discount from list. I guess he's satisfied with a reasonable markup. The store is now 3rd generation in business longer than the 40 years I know of.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

If you want a Cartier, please only buy from an authorized dealer. They are one of the most highly counterfeited watches in the world. And, it is not easy to tell the difference.

Luxury watches are sometimes best bought as an estate watch from a reputable jeweler/Dealer. At least some of the depreciation may be factored in the price, and you could score a good deal. Make sure it has been professionally cleaned and calibrated before purchasing.
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

As someone already suggested, visit one of the big watch forums like watchuseek for additional info. Here are the ways you can purchase a luxury wristwatch:

(1) Boutique store: These are the stores run by the watchmakers themselves. So the Cartier store, or the Rolex store, etc. Generally you will not get a discount off MSRP from purchasing at these stores. I personally do not think there is any advantage purchasing at a boutique over an authorized dealer unless you are looking for a very rare model that may be in stock at a boutique.

(2) Authorized dealer: These are usually independent jewelers and such that sell the luxury watch and are authorized to do so by the watchmaker. Main advantage is you will get the factory warranty on the watch, along with the near 100% guarantee you will get an authentic watch. Advantage over boutique would be ADs may give you a discount, and there are usually more of these type of stores available than boutiques.

(3) Gray market dealer: These are large retailers (usually online) that sell the watch but are not "authorized" to do so, so usually provide an "in-house" warranty rather than the factory warranty directly from the watchmaker. Advantage is they usually provide a larger discount than even an AD will give you. You have to do your homework on the particular dealer and the type of reputation they have. Some of the more well-known ones seem to have pretty good reputations.

(4) Independent seller/dealers: So this is interesting. Generally these are folks that somehow source their watches and sell them at a fairly large discount, yet you may still be able to utilize the factory warranty. I am speculating here, but I suspect they have contacts at authorized dealers that are able to sell them watches in bulk, and then they turn around and sell them to their clients. If you ask around on the watch forums, you can get contact info for some reputable dealers that people seem to have good experiences with.

To sum up, I'd start at the watch forums and ask around of how folks purchased their Cartier watches. I have only bought Rolex and Omega watches in the past, and have stuck to authorized dealers, who I felt gave me the right combination of a safe purchase along with a fair price.
sport

Post by sport »

Costco sells some very expensive fancy watches. The prices are likely to be lower than elsewhere.
JJP

Post by JJP »

We went comparison shopping earlier this month on a Breitling Super Avenger. I looked in the Breitling Boutique located in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, and they offered the full price option of $5835.

I found the same watch from the Breitling Boutique on the Dutch side of St. Maarten. They showed me the exact same $5835 I would be paying in the States, but without all of the tax and duty in the Caribbean, it was $4965. Almost $1000 less.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Try Alan Furman and Co. Watches:
http://www.alanfurman.com
I Bought a nice watch from them and was totally satisfied.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
edge

Post by edge »

I haven't worn my Cartier, Franck Muller, or Rolex in years. Thanks for reminding me to figure out the best way to sell them!

Dunno, every time I see a guy these days wearing an obviously expensive watch it just seems so out of touch. Mine were gifts. Didn't have the heart to jettison them immediately...