WSJ - Cancel and Invest Subscription Fee in S&P500 or Read Daily - Which is a Better Investment?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Joe Jones

WSJ - Cancel and Invest Subscription Fee in S&P500 or Read Daily - Which is a Better Investment?

Post by Joe Jones » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:57 am

Over the course of a lifetime, which would be a better use of money?

A) Investing the $32.99/month Wall Street Journal subscription fee in the S&P500
B) Subscribing and reading the paper front to back every day
0+2=1

JoinToday

Re: WSJ - Cancel and Invest Subscription Fee in S&P500 or Read Daily - Which is a Better Investment?

Post by JoinToday » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:11 am

Unknown.

If you enjoy reading the WSJ and the money is not that much compared to your yearly savings & investments, then buy the WSJ, read it, and enjoy it. I suspect this will make you a more well rounded person, and make you a better conversationalist. Could be a factor in promotions, jobs, friends, etc.

But if you are hoping to glean some gem that will improve your investment skill or pick up on the next hot stock ..... I believe your time and money is better spent elsewhere.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

Loandapper

Re: WSJ - Cancel and Invest Subscription Fee in S&P500 or Read Daily - Which is a Better Investment?

Post by Loandapper » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:07 am

Reading. Wins every time.

AndrewHMeador

Post by AndrewHMeador » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:18 am

If you were to begin in 1972 with a $33/month contribution, and continue through 2014, and your contributions were indexed to inflation, you'd end up with this (www.portfoliovisualizer.com):

Swensen portfolio (70/30): $637,220
Boglehead three-fund (80/20): $524,620
US stock/bond (60/40): $478,114

If you want to be a good conversationalist, travel and read a good book. But that $33/month? Invest it.

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:07 am

I get the WSJ for about $100 a year. I invest about $40,000 a year. It would make a difference I guess, but what would I read on the elliptical at the YMCA?
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:21 am

There was a ad many years ago showing a company CEO speaking to recruiter looking to hire new management level personnel and the tag line said "Send me someone who reads". Didn't say someone who invests in the S&P 500.

Spedward

Post by Spedward » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:57 am

Every time I see the monthly WSJ fee creep up I wonder the same thing. Then I get smart and realize how many times my morning review of the paper on the way to the office gave me the opportunity to save an potentially otherwise awkward conversation in the elevator or suck. View it as an investment if you work in any capacity.

I will say the new news app on iOS has a WSJ feed, but just like any other ad supported service, you don't have any control over the stories that pop up and in my experience it only seems to present the stories I would not otherwise read and one can see elsewhere. I just cut back on my Starbucks intake to make up on the leakage.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:59 am

Read financial news online.
Invest the money in index funds. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

MKP

Post by MKP » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:11 am

Toons wrote:Read financial news online.
this. there are at least 3 websites with the same info and they are free.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:21 am

jdb wrote:There was a ad many years ago showing a company CEO speaking to recruiter looking to hire new management level personnel and the tag line said "Send me someone who reads". Didn't say someone who invests in the S&P 500.
An ad for... newsprint?

How many successful investment decisions can you attribute to the WSJ so far? Whatever that is, it'll probably continue.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to wade throw the previous night's "ignore the noise, stay the course" posts.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:00 am

Joe Jones, I can't quite take your question seriously... but I'll be literal-minded and try to address it.

It is a mistake to believe salespeople who try to call anything costly "an investment." There's no way to put any kind of value, however speculative on a subscription to The Wall Street Journal because you can't possibly estimate what the dollar return is likely to be. Furthermore, the value will be completely different to different people.

If you want to have a serious career in finance, then there is a whole cluster of things you can do to fit in socially and give people comfort with the idea that you are one of them and "belong." I hardly know what they are because... I'm a retired software engineer whose career hardly depended on my dress or social manner. Certainly, reading The Wall Street Journal is one of the things you would probably do to fit in. That probably includes reading the editorials, too. You also better find out what is the ROI on wearing the right suits.

If you believe in fundamental analysis, then information is valuable. Almost by definition, since "everyone" reads The Wall Street Journal, what you learn from The Wall Street Journal is what "everyone" knows, and there's a saying that "what everyone knows isn't worth knowing." You'd probably be better off subscribing to all the trade journals for the industry you are following.

There used to be a TV ad for TheStreet.com that illustrated a certain fantasy... a crazy fantasy... well. Two working guys, I think one of them is an auto mechanic, are talking. One of them is giving the other a stock tip, and insists that the details about this great stock "haven't hit the street." The other says, in a superior tone of voice, "Let's see what it says on this street" and logs into the website for news about the stock, and then says to the other "Your company has just been convicted of illegal dumping." An expression of fear washes over the first guy's face. "You think I should..." "Yes. Sell!"

If you find the Wall Street Journal interesting, read it. For years, there was a guy at work who subscribed and we had a standing arrangement that after he had finished with them, he'd give them to me.

If you believe the financial news in it is going to boost your investment returns by more than the price of a subscription, I think you're kidding yourself. Neither will watching CNBC. We talk about "tuning out the noise." Reading the financial press is dangerous because it tunes you into the noise. You will be soaking yourself in what the crowd is thinking and are likely to decide to do all the same things at the same time as the crowd.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

corysold

Post by corysold » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 am

I read the WSJ for free and I sometimes still wonder if it is worth it.

As others have said, if you "need" to read the WSJ for work or something, go for it. But I learn much more here than I do there and most of the same topics and articles can be found for free easily enough.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:12 am

I found Bogleheads.org by reading the WSJ. Finding this website could save me 10's of thousands over my lifetime.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:24 am

Joe Jones wrote:Over the course of a lifetime, which would be a better use of money?

A) Investing the $32.99/month Wall Street Journal subscription fee in the S&P500
Whichever you enjoy the most.
Neither is going to give you a ROI. (would be more apt to get a negative ROI)
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

drosselmeyer

Post by drosselmeyer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:49 am

OP-

I am running the same mental computations right now, except with the New York Times and the local paper. Actually, I reactivated my subscription, so you know where I came out. Part of what tipped the balance was that I am tired of looking at my phone, tablet, whatever all the time. Another part was that I value journalism and want to make sure it sticks around as a business. I think fluctuating between freeloading off the internet and paying for a subscription is fine - no need to lock into one approach for life.

And those who say it isn't really an "investment" in a quantifiable sense, that's fine as far as it goes. But having gone through many job interviews and client pitches over the years the value of random interesting and/or relevant conversation fodder which can be drawn on in conversations with people from all walks of life is unlimited. I can tie it straight to my bottom line.

Johno

Post by Johno » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:08 am

JoinToday wrote: If you enjoy reading the WSJ and the money is not that much compared to your yearly savings & investments, then buy the WSJ, read it, and enjoy it. I suspect this will make you a more well rounded person, and make you a better conversationalist. Could be a factor in promotions, jobs, friends, etc.

But if you are hoping to glean some gem that will improve your investment skill or pick up on the next hot stock ..... I believe your time and money is better spent elsewhere.
I think that's the best summary. I'd emphasize just being a well informed person for its own sake. In certain careers reading WSJ is a requirement, but it's not for me at the moment and I still wouldn't give it up. But it's a negligible cost, which depends on the person. But of all the 'I just read free websites' types I've encountered rarely are any of them genuinely well informed IMO. Quality journalism has its place. But of course it's not a device to directly lift investment returns.

Some of the other responses IMHO show one of the downsides to BH-ism as practiced on the forum, actually getting close to being in favor of ignorance as a tool to 'control one's passions' in the market. I think you should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time: be a well informed a person, stick to a disciplined investing approach.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:18 am

JoeJones,
Its difficult to recommend which option is a better investment not knowing your particular circumstances, i.e. do you need to read the WSJ for your work, or perhaps you have specific goals/objectives in reading cover to cover.

I'll just speak to my own needs and perhaps something will be of interest or use. There are specific articles that are of interest to me on a an irregular basis in the WSJ and regular basis the New York Times that I would like to read. I access these articles or sometimes the entire newspaper through the online data base(s) at my local library. Once you get the flow of how the database is set-up its just like reading the paper directly from the paper's subscription based website. I found the reference librarian was very happy to point me to the database I needed and how to use it. Any edition of the WSJ I would like to read is there, Asian, Eastern US, Europe, Latin America, Online. You can read a brief abstract or the full text of the article.
I use the ProQuest data base - but there are others. The library is a treasure trove of many, many subscription based publications you would like to read, i.e. Morningstar, Value Line, Barrons, S&P NetAdvantage if you want market commentary, or individual stock reports.
Other thing about libary databases is if you have some need to read an archived article they are all there going back years.

Really for me none of these will make me an overall better investor or increase my returns - in fact it can do the opposite by reading financial information it can get in your head and somehow make you think you need to do something if all these "experts" are reporting "important" news. Best for me stick to my plan that was based on my ability, willingness, need to take risk.

All that said, there is for me something nice about actually holding a newspaper in my hand, kind of like reading print books as opposed to electronic books.

Evelyn

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:51 am

The best investment you could ever make is in yourself. Reading seems to be one good way to do so.

- Tim

MnD

Post by MnD » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 am

The WSJ electronic edition used to be reasonably priced then one day several years back I got an autorenewal notice for some ridiculous amount.
I called and they said they made a "mistake", but the new rate was still about double my last rate (and the year before rate was not an introductory rate).

So......... I cancelled.
I now use airlines miles on airlines I rarely use (and thus likely won't ever get free tickets) to subscribe to the print edition of The Economist which includes on-line access. It keep those miles alive due to account use and the savings of using virtually worthless miles versus the cash price is very significant. I can barely get through an entire Economist issue before the next weekly edition arrives. I think it provides with a much broader and more well-rounded perspective of the world/political/business events with an economic slant than the WSJ.

The airline mile approach requires you be a new subscriber for The Economist so I cycle through the names of people in my household when subscribing annually. I also skim the electronic WSJ and copy the titles into Google for any articles I want to read for "free" (maybe 1 or 2 per day). I would not subscribe unless the price for WSJ electronic only was lowered dramatically from the current rates.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:08 am

If you work in the finance industry, you need the WSJ.

If the type of investing you do actually requires you to know anything about business and investing, you probably need the WSJ. If you're more of a Boglehead or "Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need" kind of investor, then the WSJ is overkill.

If you enjoy reading it, get the WSJ.

I stopped subscribing when Rupert Murdoch bought it. I don't really want him to have any of my money. I cheat though. My local coffee shop subscribes, so I read it when I'm in line getting my morning coffee. The cost is about the same, but it comes with coffee now.

arnesr

Post by arnesr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:00 pm

MKP wrote:
Which 3 free websites do you recommend?

I read yahoo/finance mainly to watch the index, but there are a lot of spam fed articles to sort through.

Random Walker

Post by Random Walker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 pm

No brainier! Buy the WSJ. I'm indifferent as to whether you read the front page news or the financial pages, but the Opinion section is an invaluable resource for clear thinking regarding current events. Just my opinionated 2 cents :-)

Dave

Post by 123 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:06 pm

We regularly read the WSJ and we're quite happy with it. Been reading it for over 20 years.

The regular subscription rate is usually outrageous once an incentive subscription ends. I'm content to let a subscription run out, wait a couple of weeks (a good time to visit the library to catch-up with their copies) and then subscribe again. Sometimes I subscribe with some kind of points or miles. Other times I subscribe with an incentive subscription that local school fund-raisers use (qsp.com). For the qsp.com school fund-raiser route you can try the name of a local middle school or high-school (or maybe one you or a relative attended years ago).

We even have two subscriptions. One copy for spouse and one for me. We both like the hard-copy (though I also read a lot of it online). We tried sharing a paper but one spouse folds and crinkles the paper so badly that for marital harmony the most expedient thing to do was to get two copies. With the two copies it probably costs us $300 to $400 a year out-of-pocket total.

With what we save using index funds it's an economical extravagance. It works for us.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

joebh

Post by joebh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Buying a newspaper is not an investment.

DaufuskieNate

Post by DaufuskieNate » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:34 pm

WSJ is a fine newspaper. But if you are looking to learn about investing and make better investing decisions, then consider investing $33 a month building a library of good books. Taylor Larimore has a great list to get you started.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:29 pm

The interesting part of this question to me is how to place monetary value on what we read. Unless the impact is immediate, e.g., a column advises that new lower rates mean it's a good time to refinance a home and the reader awaiting that opportunity acts on it, it is very hard to know. What is read in the WSJ might be combined with news read elsewhere before leading to any action, and how the information is used would not necessarily be a clue to its source. Reading front to back of the WSJ or any publication is more quantity over quality and meaningless.

I can say the WSJ, in particular columns by Jonathan Clements, was one of several financial publications that steered me to Jack Bogle, indexing, and the Bogleheads and I'd love to have exact figures for how much money AND time that has saved me. :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Random Walker wrote:No brainier! Buy the WSJ. I'm indifferent as to whether you read the front page news or the financial pages, but the Opinion section is an invaluable resource for clear thinking regarding current events. Just my opinionated 2 cents :-)

Dave
Each to their own. Have received WSJ every day past 30 years other than Sunday, pretty much skim and/or read cover to cover, with exception of Opinion Section, that is great for wrapping left over fish. OTOH do read the NYT opinion section each day, clear thinking there. Cheers. And hello Lady Geek?

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Who pays $33/month for the WSJ? I am still on a $5 subscription picked up more than a year ago just by putting it on continuous vacation hold and getting online-only access. WSJ+ is an interesting free events program if you live in a major city. We had nibbles with Ronda Rousey a few months ago.

I would suggest that the FT might be slightly better for a more worldly view. I did cancel The Economist, which has become a little less vigorous and a little too interested in gay marriage cover stories.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:33 pm

drosselmeyer wrote:OP-

I am running the same mental computations right now, except with the New York Times and the local paper. Actually, I reactivated my subscription, so you know where I came out. Part of what tipped the balance was that I am tired of looking at my phone, tablet, whatever all the time. Another part was that I value journalism and want to make sure it sticks around as a business. I think fluctuating between freeloading off the internet and paying for a subscription is fine - no need to lock into one approach for life.

And those who say it isn't really an "investment" in a quantifiable sense, that's fine as far as it goes. But having gone through many job interviews and client pitches over the years the value of random interesting and/or relevant conversation fodder which can be drawn on in conversations with people from all walks of life is unlimited. I can tie it straight to my bottom line.
I couldn't agree more. Plus, what else can you do when you're on the toilet? :mrgreen:

I agree with those who say you're paying too much. Some people have negotiated a discount à la cable companies. There are also various offers that are listed as only for new subscribers, but there may be a way to get them by canceling for a short time. Some of them are scams and others have fine print with unfavorable terms so be careful of that. The WSJ subscription department has a poor reputation.
Last edited by sawhorse on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bidwell

Post by Bidwell » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Wellfleet wrote:I found Bogleheads.org by reading the WSJ. Finding this website could save me 10's of thousands over my lifetime.

I don't remember how I found this site but jee wiz it's fantastic. Thank you to all the people who make it "run" so successfully - those who volunteer and those who develop and write such incredible advice pieces.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Best use of money"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Joe Jones wrote:Over the course of a lifetime, which would be a better use of money?

I subscribe to The Wall Street Journal and agree with JoinToday who wrote:
If you are hoping to glean some gem that will improve your investment skill or pick up on the next hot stock ..... I believe your time and money is better spent elsewhere.
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Maynard F. Speer

Post by Maynard F. Speer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 pm

I think financial journalism is a great way to get acclimatised, and learn about your options, challenge a few preconceptions

But I almost take the stance today that if I'm reading about it or hearing about it on TV, it's old hat, and best ignored ... If not downright dangerous to your investing health (as the media seems to amplify and bounce back every bad investor bias in the book)

I'm a fundamentals guy, and I'd say what you'll see monitoring the numbers in MorningStar or GuruFocus, you'll be hearing about in the media 6-18 months later ... And I think the main purpose of investing advice in the media (from journalists and fund managers) is market engineering - you obviously buy cheap first

That's value creation - if you've got a 5 minute slot on Bloomberg, you can probably tangibly increase the value of your investments ... Why else do hugely paid fund managers spend so much time 'educating' the public?

I might seem a bit eccentric reading all the internal college endowment reports, and monthly reports to hedge fund investors, but they're the only places (afaic) you get objective reporting ... These reports are intended for other investment professionals, so any attempts to manipulate, sugarcoat or pander to clients would be a flashing red light ... I particularly enjoy Jonathan Ruffer's monthly commentary ... There's also a big incentive for them to be right, and for their words to follow their actions
"Economics is a method rather than a doctrine, an apparatus of the mind, a technique of thinking, which helps its possessor to draw correct conclusions." - John Maynard Keynes

MKP

Post by MKP » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 pm

arnesr wrote:
MKP wrote:

I read yahoo/finance mainly to watch the index, but there are a lot of spam fed articles to sort through.
Here are a couple of my favorites.

http://www.marketwatch.com/

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:06 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (newspaper).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:20 am

If you ask the question, stop the subscription. You are the only one that can decide and by questioning it, it seems obvious that you do not value the WSJ much.
Erwin

LowER

Post by LowER » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:16 am

Why invest $ and/or time in noise? I'm only asking from an investment perspective.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:30 pm

MKP wrote:
arnesr wrote:
MKP wrote:

Here are a couple of my favorites.

http://www.marketwatch.com/

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets
Though not all free, I read the WSJ, FT, NYT, and Bloomberg. I'm a business/finance news junkie!

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 pm

I dropped my subscription when the renewal terms got ridiculous.

What are you paying?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:52 pm

sarahjane wrote:I dropped my subscription when the renewal terms got ridiculous.

What are you paying?
sarahjane:

I don't pay. My subscription is a gift from our son!

Best wishes.
Taylor

Jpg

Post by Jpg » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:33 pm

I would buy the print edition 2 or 3 days per week until it suddenly increased from $2 to $3 last year.I may buy it once per week now. 1 or 2 weeks ago the Saturday edition was $4 with a magazine.

banjo

Post by banjo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Many years ago, I found Vanguard by reading the Wall Street Journal. What do you suppose that was worth in the end?

I am paying about $7 per week for the WSJ. That is coffee money, not investment money.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 pm

quantAndHold wrote:My local coffee shop subscribes, so I read it when I'm in line getting my morning coffee. The cost is about the same, but it comes with coffee now.
You're either a very fast reader or have a very slow coffee shop.

Seriously, by far the biggest investment you make in a newspaper is your time. I don't think you can say you "read" the WSJ if you spend less than an hour with it.

As far as being well rounded and better informed, if you haven't read the WSJ then starting reading it will help, but if you've been reading it for a few years you'll probably learn more by switching it up. Perhaps the Atlantic Monthly, or study the intermediate value theorem. The world would be a better place if more people understood the intermediate value theorem. If you can prove the intermediate value theorem from memory, learn Greek.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Bogleheads,

We read The Wall Street Journal for many years and are happy that we do. The paper is read for world and business news and not for any stock or investment purposes.

Best.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The Intermediate Value Theorem"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:28 pm

The world would be a better place if more people understood the intermediate value theorem.
Epsilon Delta:

Hoping to make the world a better place, I went to wikipedia to understand "The Intermediate Value Theorem." I gave it a try, but gave up. :oops:

The Intermediate Value Theorem

Best wishes.
Taylor