Few hours in Paris - what do to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GeneralPerson

Few hours in Paris - what do to?

Post by GeneralPerson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:17 pm

I have a stopover in Paris with about 12 hours between flights. I'm guessing that I can have good 6 hours to get a feel of Paris. Any suggestions for how to best use this time ?

ResearchMed

Re: Few hours in Paris - what do to?

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:16 pm

GeneralPerson wrote:I have a stopover in Paris with about 12 hours between flights. I'm guessing that I can have good 6 hours to get a feel of Paris. Any suggestions for how to best use this time ?
What time, exactly, is this stopover?
And be prepared for arrival delays, which are unpredictable.

If this is after a long haul flight, expect to be more tired than you would hope to be, especially with a whirlwind day.

If this is your first time in Paris, and there isn't much likelihood that you'll have chance to return in the reasonably near future, and if you can afford it, I'd strongly suggest arranging a private tour (check TripAdvisor and other similar sites, and *read* the reviews, keeping in mind that there can be a few grumps anyplace).

Although "getting lost" in a new city can (sometimes) be fun, that wouldn't be the case with a serious clock ticking.

That way, you can be picked up and/or dropped off at the airport, maximizing even more the time you do have.

You could email in advance with requests about what you want to see, and also ask for suggestions.
We've found that the good tour guides give good suggestions, and are also able to adjust on the spot to what they realize someone is enjoying.

Also, if you plan to do a special quickie museum/etc., visit, try to get tickets in advance, so you don't spend too much of that precious time in lines.
In some cities, private guides can also get in through special lines (whether "officially" or not...).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

windaar

Post by windaar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Take the train/metro to Trocadero to get the classic view of the Eiffel Tower, or to Charles de Gaulle Etoile to walk down the Champs Elysees, get a drink at a cafe and watch the bustle. Don't bother with museums with that little time.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:31 pm

I would a try a walk like this one from Notre Dame to the Louvre: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g18714 ... rance.html and include a bit of the Jardin des Tuileries. With that little amount of time I would not waste time on the Eiffel Tower, but that is me.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:02 pm

I would go directly to Le Bon Marche for a couple of hours of gourmet food halls and high-end souvenir shopping.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Charles de Gaulle Etoile to walk down the Champs Elysees, get a drink at a cafe and watch the bustle
This. Get close as possible to the Arc de troimphe.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Pretty sure they sell food and souvenirs at the airport.

If you have never been to Paris before and don't plan to return, I would suggest a quickie to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa. Don't worry, plenty of people do just that. It's guerrilla tourism. We can't all spend hours gazing at stuff on walls.

You'll need to spring for taxis everywhere. The RER from CDG takes forever. Just don't mention Uber. Your driver will be furieux. Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame - try to climb all of them. A selfie at the grave of Jim Morrison or Oscar Wilde at Père Lachaise? Which is not too far from Le Bataclan. Très bien, I think you've pretty much got a handle on Paris.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:28 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:Pretty sure they sell food and souvenirs at the airport.

If you have never been to Paris before and don't plan to return, I would suggest a quickie to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa. Don't worry, plenty of people do just that. It's guerrilla tourism. We can't all spend hours gazing at stuff on walls.

You'll need to spring for taxis everywhere. The RER from CDG takes forever. Just don't mention Uber. Your driver will be furieux. Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame - try to climb all of them. A selfie at the grave of Jim Morrison or Oscar Wilde at Père Lachaise? Which is not too far from Le Bataclan. Très bien, I think you've pretty much got a handle on Paris.
The line to climb Notre Dame can be long. The other two were quite short when I was there. We just went inside Notre Dame. I think I could pull off Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, and the Louvre in 6 hours. Be sure to plan some time to sit and eat at a sidewalk Cafe'. One of the best parts of my visit to France was the food, and I'm no foodie.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:05 pm

GeneralPerson wrote:I have a stopover in Paris with about 12 hours between flights. I'm guessing that I can have good 6 hours to get a feel of Paris. Any suggestions for how to best use this time ?
Consider a Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour like L'Open Tour Paris or Big Bus Paris. They hit the major sights. It'll give you a good overview.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:26 pm

When I was in that situation I visited the Louvre. Do some research first so you'll know what you want to see.

spth

Post by spth » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:48 pm

I was in a similar situation in 2002. I did a bike tour. It was nice.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Be sure to check on what your current options are for storing your luggage since that may have changed for security.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 pm

spth wrote:I was in a similar situation in 2002. I did a bike tour. It was nice.
That reminds me. Free walking tours are quite the thing now. I did a great one in Bratislava. Here is the link to a Paris option. There are probably other outfits:

http://www.discoverwalks.com/paris-walking-tours/

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Go to the Louve and see the Mona Lisa and Venus Da Milo....that's what I did when I had free time there between meetings....even if you aren't big on art it's nice to stop and and see these iconic art works