Passport Renewal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Non7WoodUser

Passport Renewal

Post by Non7WoodUser » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Any recommendations or best practices to consider for passport renewals?

adamthesmythe

Re: Passport Renewal

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Well there's really only one vendor, at least here in the US.

Other than that- allow enough time and make sure your photos meet the requirements. (Check for yourself).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Non7WoodUser wrote:Any recommendations or best practices to consider for passport renewals?

Definitely consult past threads at bogleheads.org on passport renewal. There's a lot of useful information in them.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:34 pm

All the info is here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor ... renew.html

I paid extra last time for the expedited service. I probably didn't need to, and got it back much faster than the estimated time, but I would have been cutting it a little close with an upcoming trip.

Zendelta

Post by Zendelta » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:39 pm

As of Jan 1 2016 you will not be able to request extra pages in an existing passport, you will have to request an entirely new passport if you run out of pages.

Otoh, apparently there is no difference in charge to request an oversized passport vs a normal sized one when you renew.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:47 pm

I used the standard service and got my new US passport in about 4 weeks. If you live close to a land border and do not have an enhanced drivers license, you may want to also applying for a passport card. Passport cards fit in your wallet and can be used at land and sea border crossings.

NonnyGoGo

Post by NonnyGoGo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:21 pm

There's an annual Passport Day when you can have your passport renewed without an appointment on a Saturday. I received my passport back within a week without paying to expedite, so my guess is that they process all Passport Day business as if expedited. Otherwise follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be fine.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:52 pm

I renewed passport and sent through the local post office. You are not allowed to send it UPS or Fedex, only USPS. My old passport and application traveled around the USA on vacation before arriving at the correct location. When I saw that it was "out for delivery" in the wrong destination I called the post office and they told me not to be concerned that it would get straightened out eventually. Having my documents traveling about did not make me comfortable at all. It eventually reached the correct destination and I received the new passport. The OLD passport arrived later in a separate envelope.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:08 pm

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:30 pm

You will need a photo of yourself and I can recommend Costco for that especially if you are a member already. Our local Costco is all set up for that in the photo processing department.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:44 pm

Even less expensive is epassportphoto.com. Have someone take a photo against a white background, check to make sure it fits correctly, and print it yourself or take it elsewhere to be printed.

powermega

Post by powermega » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:45 pm

I'll agree with others that you should get your photo done by someone who knows what they're doing. The USPS office downtown used to do these. I know Walgreens (ones with a photo processing center) do them, and that's where I got mine done. I don't think non-expedited service is much slower than the expedited service, so if you have a little time to spare for it, don't bother paying extra for the expedited service. Check out the Dept. of State URL posted above for your information. Overall, it's quite easy, especially for a true renewal.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Higman

Post by Higman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Even though passports are for a 10 year period be aware that many countries require that the passport does not expire sooner than 6 months after your scheduled return date.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:05 pm

If you are not in a hurry it is not that big of a deal. Just follow the instructions on the form. There is no need to use a company to handle your application unless you in a hurry.

TNL

Post by TNL » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:43 pm

+1 for Costco. So easy, fast and inexpensive.

Fill out the application in black ink, it says to do this but it's in little print and easy to skip over.

I recently renewed by mail; it only took about 8 weeks.

The projected times on the state department's website are pretty accurate; they also have a status checker where you can enter your application number and they can you where it's at in the process.

There are special rules for renewing passports for minors. Even if you are renewing for a minor, you still need to submit an original birth certificate (you get this back). You have to renew in person for a minor with both parents present.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Don't wait till you need it, renew it well before you need it.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Non7WoodUser wrote:Any recommendations or best practices to consider for passport renewals?

Don't forget to sign the renewal application, as I did :oops: They politely returned everything to me for round two.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:01 am

I suggest getting a passport card with the passport. It is proof of identity and citizenship when getting a job.

bad78andy

Post by bad78andy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:47 am

Zendelta wrote:Otoh, apparently there is no difference in charge to request an oversized passport vs a normal sized one when you renew.

:thumbsup I renewed in April 2015, I went for oversized at no extra charge.
EagertoLearnMore wrote:Even less expensive is epassportphoto.com. Have someone take a photo against a white background, check to make sure it fits correctly, and print it yourself or take it elsewhere to be printed.

Have been doing this for 3+ years, plenty of websites for this. I've used http://www.idphoto4you.com several times for family members. Prior to this, I had a photoshop template, so used a DSLR, then cropped to fit.
You can also use the template on the passport website at http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photo-composition-template.html

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:13 pm

flyingbison wrote:All the info is here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor ... renew.html

I paid extra last time for the expedited service. I probably didn't need to, and got it back much faster than the estimated time, but I would have been cutting it a little close with an upcoming trip.

just follow this, get some pics from costco cheap, you're done. I did mine in Sept and got it in the mail in less than 2 weeks. I also got the passport card, which you can use for driving over the border to MX or CAD.
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:56 am

Our renewals just took 15 days total. We filled out the forms online and printed them out. Went to a local photo shop and they charged $10 per person for the photos.

Mailed the old passports, forms and checks ($110 per person) on 12/8/15. We paid for certified mail ($4.38) to track. They suggest that due to sensitive information (SSN). The renewal package was delivered 12/10/15.

The new passports arrived 12/23/15. My wife does not know yet. Her new passport is wrapped and under the tree with a tag "To: Mom - From: Uncle Sam." I like practical gifts. :happy

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:35 pm

As I recall some air/foreign? travel is restricted if your return date is within 6 months of passport expiration. This is a potential gotcha since most people will assume they are ok as long as the passport hasn't expired. Why have an expiration date if you have to return 6months before that date??

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:09 pm

It's the receiving country which decides about required remaining length. Without a valid passport you likely aren't in their country legally, and might even have trouble accessing consular services if you overstayed your visa. They want to make sure you can get out and get back home.

If we simply made passports which expired in 9.5 years, to account for the limits, you'd have to renew after nine. No problem, we'll just have them expire in nine years. Ulp. :happy

It's an international agreement that passports must have expiration dates.

PJW

richardglm

Post by richardglm » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:53 am

Airlines may also make noise about passports close to the expiration date even if technically it may be acceptable by the destination country. Since it is THEIR responsibility, potentially at their expense, to fly you back to your home country if you are refused entry.

Just renew after 9 years are up. The passport card has been useful to me on occasion.

Pha430

Post by Pha430 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:50 am

I've always gone thru US Embassies or consulates around the world for passport renewal. I believe it some how tends to be faster than doing it in the US. I've always renewed my passport 1-2 years before expiration to avoid any hold ups that may prevent me from traveling as needed. There is also the possibility of maintaini. two US passports at all times, which can be authorized in certain circumstances, usually if you travel most of the year or remain out of the US, or government employee overseas.

rpike

Post by rpike » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Just noticed mine has already expired. Can I still renew or have to apply for a new one? Not expecting to need it anytime soon

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:36 pm

rpike wrote:Just noticed mine has already expired. Can I still renew or have to apply for a new one? Not expecting to need it anytime soon

Here is a link to the DS-82 form that I used to renew my passport.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/212241.pdf

The first page has a checklist and one of the items is "I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card less than 15 years ago." I believe US passports are good for 10 years. If your expired passport was issued less than 15 yrs ago, you may be OK with renewal assuming the other eligibility conditions are met.

sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:38 am

Depending on your ethnicity you may consider getting a passport card in addition to the passport book for an extra $30. It serves as an easily accessible proof of your citizenship that you can carry in your wallet. I am a brown man living in the South and this is very important for me.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:12 am

sk.dolcevita wrote:Depending on your ethnicity you may consider getting a passport card in addition to the passport book for an extra $30. It serves as an easily accessible proof of your citizenship that you can carry in your wallet. I am a brown man living in the South and this is very important for me.

It is a good idea for everyone as a convenience and a backup. If you live in Minnesota the drivers license will not be TSA acceptable soon. I guess in that state everyone will need a passport card just to get on an airplane.

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Nope ! Just don't put it off to the last minute . Got my renewed again a few years back and only use it for trips to Canada now . Just lost interest traveling after 20 years of it in retirement . :|
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}