Where to Rent a Honda Accord

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Where to Rent a Honda Accord

Post by Leesbro63 »

I am seriously thinking of buying a Honda Accord. I recently rented a Camry on a trip and the rental convinced me that this was NOT the car for us. The high center console feels confining. A test drive of both an Altima and a Honda Accord was much better. Unfortunately it appears that the major car rental companies don't buy/rent Hondas. I'd really like to drive one for a few days before starting with the dealer negotiations to buy one. Might I be missing a company that can rent a Honda? I can go to the Pittsburgh airport...they have lots of rental car inventory there for most of the major rental agencies.
Random Poster

Re: Where to Rent a Honda Accord

Post by Random Poster »

A Honda dealer might let you do a 24-hour take-the-car-home test drive, likely with mileage limitations, so if you can't find a rental agency that has Hondas, that might be an option.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

To be honest, I don't want to feel obligated to buy from a particular dealer. I'd rather rent from a rent-a-car agency who has no interest in anything beyond collecting the rental fee and getting the car back without damage.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Small used car lots may rent their vehicles. They structure it as a short term lease. You could check to see if any of them have some low mileage accords but i dont know if the 2016's are a new generation or not.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

You can't. Honda sells enough Accords that they don't have to discount a fleet of them to Hertz/Enterprise to move stock.

A test drive does not obligate you to the dealership. You can walk away.
Fogler

Post by Fogler »

Try turo website. It is like airbnb of cars.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

Random Poster wrote:A Honda dealer might let you do a 24-hour take-the-car-home test drive, likely with mileage limitations, so if you can't find a rental agency that has Hondas, that might be an option.
Just don't let them sell your car while you're test driving the new one. It happened to a friend's parents.

Needless to say they weren't too particularly happy about that. They ended up getting a steep discount on the car and a free extended warranty.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

amd2135 wrote:
Random Poster wrote:A Honda dealer might let you do a 24-hour take-the-car-home test drive, likely with mileage limitations, so if you can't find a rental agency that has Hondas, that might be an option.
Just don't let them sell your car while you're test driving the new one. It happened to a friend's parents.

Needless to say they weren't too particularly happy about that. They ended up getting a steep discount on the car and a free extended warranty.

How do you sell a car without a title?
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

How can they do that? This sounds like an "Urban Legend" to me. You cannot legally sell a car that you do not own.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

kjvmartin wrote:You can't. Honda sells enough Accords that they don't have to discount a fleet of them to Hertz/Enterprise to move stock.
Interesting. I think Toyota Camrys are hot sellers also, and a Camry is what my wife and I got when we rented a car from Enterprise a while ago for three days. it was even an upgrade (in size) for what we reserved and paid for.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

dm200 wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:You can't. Honda sells enough Accords that they don't have to discount a fleet of them to Hertz/Enterprise to move stock.
Interesting. I think Toyota Camrys are hot sellers also, and a Camry is what my wife and I got when we rented a car from Enterprise a while ago for three days. it was even an upgrade (in size) for what we reserved and paid for.

I don't know the ins and out of the business but I rent cars fairly often on business travel and rent many Toyotas and other makes, but have never seen a Honda for rent.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
bb

Post by bb »

Just go on a bunch of test drives - could do several at each Honda dealership.
After 10-20 test drives I think you will know if you want the car or not.
Dechan

Post by Dechan »

Some new car dealers have a car rental business. For example, Dean Honda in West Mifflin, PA seems to have a Thrifty branch that rents current Hondas.

https://www.thrifty.com/local_sites_ind ... onCode=WM2

There's even a coupon for a rental discount.

http://www.deanhonda.com/coupons_thrifty.php
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

dm200 wrote:
How can they do that? This sounds like an "Urban Legend" to me. You cannot legally sell a car that you do not own.
A simple mistake by the dealer. They started the trade-in process for them in case they went through with the purchase. Somewhere along the way they shuffled around the paperwork and made it available for sale. IIRC the dealer pushed a great deal so the previous owners of the vehicle wouldn't push to reverse the sale and recover their Kia.

I did a quick search and found that there's plenty of ways to sell a car without a title in hand. Some appear to depend on the state. This happened in Virginia if it makes a difference.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Of the zillion rental cars I've had over the years, I've never had a Honda. I think they just don't sell to rental companies as other noted. Have rented plenty of Camrys, Corollas, and Rav4s, but never a Honda. Best bet might be to find a dealer that does in-house rentals.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

amd2135 wrote:
dm200 wrote:
A simple mistake by the dealer. They started the trade-in process for them in case they went through with the purchase. Somewhere along the way they shuffled around the paperwork and made it available for sale. IIRC the dealer pushed a great deal so the previous owners of the vehicle wouldn't push to reverse the sale and recover their Kia.

I did a quick search and found that there's plenty of ways to sell a car without a title in hand. Some appear to depend on the state. This happened in Virginia if it makes a difference.
Your friend's parents sound a lot more reasonable than me. I'd go thermonuclear on the dealership if they pulled that crap regardless of how good a deal they were trying to give me on a new car.

OP, test drive a new Mazda 6 before you make a decision to go with Honda. Easily the best car in that class right now.
snowman

Post by snowman »

OP,

I was in your exact shoes 13 years ago. I test drove maybe 10-12 models, than narrowed it down to 2 - Accord and Camry. I wanted to do a short term rental, and learned that you cannot rent a Honda, as Honda does not sell to rental fleets. I read an article at that time that it's part of Honda's strategy, and the main reason why Accord will never beat Camry in the race for the best-selling sedan in the US, unless Toyota allows that to happen (by selling fewer units to rental fleets).

I went with Accord, but it was a tossup. I still have that Accord, it hit 200K miles recently, it's flawless, I am hoping to get 300K miles out of it.

Accord is one of those cars that does not excel at any single parameter, but also has no weak points. It's a perfect appliance, and the main reason why it's so popular. If you like test driving Accord, chances are you will like owning it even better - it has a tendency to grow on you. There will be times when you will tell yourself "Oh, neat, some engineer at Honda thought of that little detail". It's those invisible little details that make Honda a Honda.

But don't go by my personal testament. If you have narrowed it down to 2 cars, choose a day when you can test drive both back-to-back, multiple times, day AND night. Good dealers will let you do that, and you should be able to tell which car is a better fit for you. That's the best strategy outside of short term rental.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I don't know if it is still the case, but new car sales folks often drove "demonstrators" - then turn these in several times a year to be sold as "demonstrators" with many benefits of buying a new vehicle. Maybe a Honda dealer might have such "demonstrators" you could drive as you wish.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Dechan wrote:Some new car dealers have a car rental business. For example, Dean Honda in West Mifflin, PA seems to have a Thrifty branch that rents current Hondas.

https://www.thrifty.com/local_sites_ind ... onCode=WM2

There's even a coupon for a rental discount.

http://www.deanhonda.com/coupons_thrifty.php
Decan, this is GREAT info. I cannot thank you enough. I live on the other side of town, but it's no big deal to get there. This is exactly what I need!
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Rodc wrote:I don't know the ins and out of the business but I rent cars fairly often on business travel and rent many Toyotas and other makes, but have never seen a Honda for rent.
I have and even rented one. Never conflate "I have not experienced" with "does not exist". I think it was with Hertz years ago. That said, they do seem to be rarely offered for rental and I've never seen another one with Hertz since then.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

dm200 wrote:
When my dad traded in two cars from my grandmothers estate, they took them even though there was some issue with getting clear titles through probate or something like that. The cars were sold again before the titles were cleared from the estate. The dealer did hold the title for the car that they were traded in for until the traded in titles were clear though, it was a bit of a mess.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

takeshi wrote:
Rodc wrote:I don't know the ins and out of the business but I rent cars fairly often on business travel and rent many Toyotas and other makes, but have never seen a Honda for rent.
I have and even rented one. Never conflate "I have not experienced" with "does not exist". I think it was with Hertz years ago. That said, they do seem to be rarely offered for rental and I've never seen another one with Hertz since then.
And don't make assumptions about what others are thinking to match your preconceived notions. :)
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Honda-veh ... l-agencies

Above link might be of some interest.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

I've noticed friends and family coming to TPA picking up Honda Accords and VW Golf rentals, from the big companies like Hertz and Avis. Recently they picked up a top-of-the line brand new Toyota Sienna XLE from MCO.
A Honda/VW dealer (they have both) has an on-premises Hertz office; you can rent a Honda from them.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I know what you mean about the Camry being confining. I have long legs and need to sprawl a bit and I go a little crazy and need to be cage-free when I drive a Camry, Accord, or even an Avalon. The Japanese carmakers are cheap with front seat room and it's annoying. Try a Hyundai Genesis instead, or maybe even an American car. It may not be Bogleheads-frugal enough, but it's necessary. I actually think a Kia K900 may make sense.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

There is a general perception that you cannot find Honda vehicles in rental fleets. That is not correct. While Honda does NOT actively sell to either corporate or rental fleets, their dealers DO sell to the fleets when they need to move excess vehicles. Since the sales are generally at a slightly lower margin, such sales are not real common. In the past five years, I have rented a couple of Accords and one Civic. The best way to rent one is to call around to the agencies and talk directly to the station manager. They will generally hold a car for you.

Still, your best bet is to go into a dealership and rent a vehicle. When you rent a vehicle, there is no expectation that you will buy one.