Looking for a Maltese and a Havanese Breeder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
InvestoGuy

Looking for a Maltese and a Havanese Breeder

Post by InvestoGuy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello,
We are interested in getting a Maltese or a Havanese pup. Can someone share a AKC certified, ethical breeder for either / both breeds. We live in the Midwest, so Midwest based would be great.
Thanks.

HoopDiddyDiddy

Re: Looking for a Maltese and a Havanese Breeder

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Maltese.
Havanese

But it's not that easy.
All purebred dogs have health issues- you need to educate yourself as to those prevalent in each respective breed.
Then you need to understand the testing done to screen potential breeding stock, then you need to find a breeder who screens and provides puppy buyers with written copies of testing results for both mother and father. This is not failsafe but does indicate that a breeder is indeed breeding for the only acceptable reason- to make this new generation of puppies healthier than the generation before.

Many breeds register their issues and results of testing online through CHIC, Canine Health Information Center.
CHIC Maltese.
CHIC Havanese

Once you locate a couple of breeders, call them, get to know them, and maybe arrange for a visit. They will check you out- make sure you are a decent sort who has a veterinarian and understands how to properly raise and care for one of their precious puppies.
If you pass you will be put on a waiting list.
The dog will be pricey. Health testing is expensive. Maintaining is expensive. Showing is expensive. Breeding now includes artificial insemination (the right mate might be across the world), surgical implantation, and C-sections- none of which are cheap.
They do not make money on puppies and often lose it.
If you find the right breeder just write the check and be happy you found them to begin with. They will be your support system and 'help at any hour of the day or night' for the entire life of the dog. Choose a breeder you get along with. I have actually had a breeder get on a plane and come to my home when I was having difficulty dealing with an illness in one of their dogs. A good breeder is valuable beyond measure.

Yes, these are show dogs. Please understand that this is not a beauty contest but a conformation contest. The better a dogs joints are constructed the longer he can live a life free of arthritis and pain. The more properly muscled he is the longer he can exist without back problems. Correct coat is 100 times easier to maintain and in both these breeds is crucial, as grooming costs are exorbitant as it is. Correct conformation is for health and wellness as well as aesthetic issues.

There are easier ways to acquire a purebred, sure. But you end up with prematurely lame or blind animals, congenital problems that require surgery, allergies that make the dogs life and yours a living hell, or any one of 200 other health catastrophes that could have been easily avoided had the breeder bother to use decent breeding stock.

Be aware that both these breed clubs offer rescue services and that perfectly fine animals are available to vetted homes.
My first three Irish Wolfhounds were rescues and were each truly wonderful, well behaved dogs who graced my life with their presence. I highly recommend adult dogs as pets. They are not urchin dogs but beloved family members whose people have experienced a catastrophe forcing them to surrender an animal for its own good.

I am retired now but spent 40 years in the dog world working as a groomer, handler, and trainer.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns- I am happy to help.

pincheeric

Post by pincheeric » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 am

As someone who runs a non-profit animal rescue, volunteers for several others, and is sitting here petting his foster dog, I would strongly urge you to reconsider your devotion to a breed. You'll be a thousand times happier falling in love with a dog than falling in love with the breed. If you are truly married to a breed then look at a breed-specific rescue. Often times those rescue dogs will come with papers, if that is important to you.

As a side note, I'd also suggest you reconsider a puppy and get a slightly older dog or a senior if this is your first dog. Puppies are a lot more work than they appear!

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/ado ... adopt.html

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:38 am

Check the Breeder referral pages at the AKC. (AFAIK, the AKC does not "certify" breeders)

https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/breederin ... ion=search