Flaunt Your High-Mileage Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WJW

Re: Flaunt Your High-Mileage Car

Post by WJW »

2007 Ford Fusion - 85,000 miles. Bought used with 25,000 miles for $13k in 2008...
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

OldBallCoach wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:41 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:41 am
OldBallCoach wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 am
OldBallCoach wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:30 pm I just let my last Toyota LandCruiser go at 385,000 miles....I bought a new one and will drive it for 350K or so and repeat if I am not in the urn by then. They are terrible on gas and amazing solid beasts of a truck to own and drive. I take mine in every 10K to the dealer for service and have it detailed and anything else it needs and just drive it. Frankly I know it will plain get me where I want to go in any weather and do it safely.
Impressive.
Was that all 385K by you? How old was it?
All by me and and 11 years...
Wow that is crazy amount of driving per year!
I really like landcruiser and if money wasn't an object I would totally get it. I live in northeast, where rust is an issue with all toyotas. If I am getting such an expensive vehicle it better not rust out on me, and that is one concern with LC based on what I have read on ih8mud.

Did you get new LC or Lexus LX?
I have always bought the Toyota LC, not that the Lexus is bad. And yea I drive a lot of miles per year...which in my LC i can go in about any weather and I feel like it is a safe, solid car. I also like that I can get 300K plus out of it and on the last day it drives damn near lke the first day...no rattles or issues..wife drives a 4 Runner and likes it. We also have fun a sports car and an older Jeep at the beach house...we tend to keep things a long while!
Curious if you kept a running total of the Land Cruiser’s operating costs (fuel, mostly) and, if so, what that cost was.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

JakeyLee wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:03 pm
Helo80,
Please don't take this in a negative way...I CAN afford a new car. Sadly, I got all the buying "new toys" out of my system. I am NOT a frugal person (wish I was). But I love keeping my old cars running. The return on doings so has been amazing over the last 20 plus years.. I simply do NOT get any satisfaction out of spending 30-60k on a new car, when I'm driving cars I bought 20 years ago... And loving it!! Don't get me wrong. I love new cars. Will probably have one or two more left (God willing) in my lifetime.

These threads are interesting to me. It confirms all the books I read in the last 30 years about wealth, and wealth accumulation. Generally speaking, people that accumulate real wealth have a few things in common. This happens to be one of them. I'm at a point in my life where I can pay cash for almost any luxury car on the market.. But I'm strangely at a point in my life where that doesn't doesn't appeal to me on any level. I have tools that are over 40 years old in my tool box.. I appreciate them more than any of my newer "fancier tools".. That's what vehicles feel like to many of us.

PM sent as it would go too far off-topic, and I'd invariably get snarky replies.

Carry on...
nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander »

I always worked in a road sales job, so I drove 50-60K a year here in northern New England. Last new car was a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a straight 6 cyl. I drove it for 325K. I traded it for a Jeep Liberty diesel I got used in the trade in with 25K on the clock. Worst repair vehicle ever, as I put $8K into it over the 110K miles I owned it. The check engine light was almost always on. It did get great fuel economy when it was running right. I traded it for a Toyota Tacoma four door pickup. I bought it with 20K on the clock, currently 111K. I only drive 11k a year as I am mostly not working. My driving is just to fishing places and ski mountains. Toyota makes great cars and trucks.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Bought a relative's 2003 Lexus about a year ago. About 190,000 miles, I'm too lazy to go out in the garage and get the exact mileage. He's a maintenance manic, so I'm happy so far.
GaryEsq

Post by GaryEsq »

1999 Camaro Z28 convertible daily driver
147,200 miles
Important rule of retirement..... Don't buy a couch.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

My highest mileage car was a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 that I bought new and retired at 173,375 miles. Great car and we shared many adventures together. Replaced it with a 2019 XC60 T8 this past June.
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

GaryEsq wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:32 am 1999 Camaro Z28 convertible daily driver
147,200 miles
This is amazing. Do you know how much you've spent on repairs (regular maintenance not included)?
fjfino

Post by fjfino »

2006 Infiniti M35X....182,000 miles.

I bought in 2007 w/ ~30,000 miles. Still going strong but I did need to replace the AC compressor this past August.
Hoping to hang onto until 200K and then probably look for something a little newer. Never kept a car this long but its paid for, good in the snow and is in decent shape.
Stay the course
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

2001 F-150 Supercrew Lariat w/ the 5.4L V8 and automatic transmission. 175,000 miles and change.

I bought it new off the lot. My daily driver on a short commute. Other than brakes, tires, alternator, water pump, hoses, belts, fuel pump and a rebuilt (new to me) transmission it is still going strong but is starting to rust out the rocker panels.
tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate »

2015 Prius with 151,000 miles

All maintenance to date:
15 oil changes
5 cabin/engine air filters
1 transmission fluid change
1 set of tires
1 set of spark plugs

Still riding around on the OEM brakes. 8-)

I'm coming down to my last few days of commuting over 100 miles per day. New job will be 100 miles per week! I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy a new car, as I'm sure my Prius has at least 3-5 years of trouble-free life left in it.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

wilshuer wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:41 am 2008 Suburban just about to break 190k. Will be driving cross country for Thanksgiving so expect 200k by the end of the year.

No major maintenance done, mostly consumables - belts, brakes, filters, O2, oil sending unit...and all DIY.
This is truly impressive. This generation is known for eating transmissions every other oil change. Ok, I exaggerate, but not by much. I had the previous generation (00) and at 110 miles, it was as if I accidentally hit the "self destruct button". Everything from brake lines and AC compressor to power windows all failed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp »

Helo80 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:55 pm
My only hope is that the majority of the people posting here are in a position where they cannot financially afford a new(er) car and have to drive these vehicles to make ends meet. Though, I read the "what's your net worth progression?" threads, and others on here, and I have a feeling I'm only kidding myself.
In my case it's a choice of new car or kids college, but fortunately I actually like my car so I'm OK with driving it until the last of the kiddos graduate. Plus it's not just the cost of the vehicle purchase and corresponding bump in insurance costs. In my area we have this stupid thing called 'personal property tax' where the state keeps hitting you up for a percentage of the vehicles book value every year. This is *after* they have collected sales tax on the dang thing. The rates drop sharply over 100K miles, so while 'old' carries it's own benefit, high mileage is even better. I really loathe the idea of giving even MORE tax money to the state just so I can drive something fancier so will hold out a long as feasible.

It's not always about ostentatious frugality. Some people just don't buy into the whole approach of replacing things because you are ashamed to have an old whatever. I don't need the latest fashion in clothes and I don't need to replace my car every 4 years. For me, a car is a tool, not a personal expression.

I'm actually enjoying reading other peoples car stories on this thread (although I find myself feeling a tad sorry for the Solara).
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

2011 Chevrolet Cruze. Just passed 104,000 miles. Bought it new for cash right out of college (my parents saved for college, I got a scholarship). Looking to replace it with a small crossover in 2-3 years (currently have about $12k saved up for the next car)
Yanks49

Post by Yanks49 »

Early this year, helped my granddaughter find and buy a 2006 Toyota Matrix with 250,000 miles from a local used car dealer, who got it from local Toyota dealer. Wouldn't have ever considered it, but my brother could look up it's carfax and saw the car was very well cared for. Only issue so far was a power steering problem soon after that didn't cost much and had to replace front struts for inspection a couple months ago. She has probably put about 7,000 miles on it. Crossing my fingers that it will last her several more months.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

BarbaricYawp wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 am
Helo80 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:55 pm
My only hope is that the majority of the people posting here are in a position where they cannot financially afford a new(er) car and have to drive these vehicles to make ends meet. Though, I read the "what's your net worth progression?" threads, and others on here, and I have a feeling I'm only kidding myself.
In my case it's a choice of new car or kids college, but fortunately I actually like my car so I'm OK with driving it until the last of the kiddos graduate. Plus it's not just the cost of the vehicle purchase and corresponding bump in insurance costs. In my area we have this stupid thing called 'personal property tax' where the state keeps hitting you up for a percentage of the vehicles book value every year. This is *after* they have collected sales tax on the dang thing. The rates drop sharply over 100K miles, so while 'old' carries it's own benefit, high mileage is even better. I really loathe the idea of giving even MORE tax money to the state just so I can drive something fancier so will hold out a long as feasible.

It's not always about ostentatious frugality. Some people just don't buy into the whole approach of replacing things because you are ashamed to have an old whatever. I don't need the latest fashion in clothes and I don't need to replace my car every 4 years. For me, a car is a tool, not a personal expression.

I'm actually enjoying reading other peoples car stories on this thread (although I find myself feeling a tad sorry for the Solara).

PM sent.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

smackboy1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 am 2007 MINI Cooper S 190,000 miles - does anybody else have a BMW product that lasted this long???
I'm blown away by this. I assumed Minis just returned to dust at around 60k. We have a 2007 Cooper S too... although with only 33,000 miles on it. I assume I can put another 160,000 on ours, right? Should only take us about 50 or so years.
Last edited by caffeperfavore on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I've always driven my cars into the ground. Most impressive was my first car a 1977 Pontiac Bonneville (I bought it with 104,000 when I was a senior in HS), drove that sucker for 8 years. It had 168,000 on the original motor (no major work, just maintenance) when I finally retired it. Now days 168,000 is nothing but we're talking a 1970s car here, lol.
Nastywarnob

Post by Nastywarnob »

2007 Toyota Sienna: 165K and no plans to sell it
2016 Kia Sorrento: 75K in 3 years of driving - this one’s still a baby!
beyou

Post by beyou »

Nastywarnob wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:25 pm 2007 Toyota Sienna: 165K and no plans to sell it
2016 Kia Sorrento: 75K in 3 years of driving - this one’s still a baby!
Had a 1998 Toyota Sienna that I sold in 2012 with over 100k.
Engine was LIKE NEW but body used to rattle with all the loose parts/bolts.
I used to call it my bucket of bolts. Decide with kids grown it was time to get rid of the only minivan I ever planned to own.

Replacement in 2012 (Subaru Outback) now over 100k and no plans to replace it anytime soon.
Runs great, and we love it still. Body getting rough from scratches/dents but still a solid ride and engine runs great.

I know 100k is nothing for Subaru/Toyota/Honda but I had never gone to 100k for my first few cars.
Now that I have breached 100k twice, I am ready for 150k next !
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Coming up on 170,000 on my 2010 Nissan Sentra. Still feels like nothing compared to the previous car, a 97 Civic that hit 240,000 before I sold it.
Fire2030

Post by Fire2030 »

Close to 167K on my 2002 Camry, still runs like a charm but burning oil lately, need a quart about 1000 miles.

Wife's car just crossed 115K , that's a 2010 Camry Hybrid.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

2007 Lexus ES350. Bought in late 2008. It was a dealer courtesy car with 1400 miles. Now has 125,000 miles, give or take. Its a really beautiful dark blue and I still love it. Oh, and I paid for it with company stock that vested when employer sold off my area. Not bad deal.
rjlusk

Post by rjlusk »

2006 Scion xA

207K and still running like a champ. Daily driver 40 miles to work and 40 miles back daily. Hope to make it to 300K.
Before Ditka was traded to the Eagles in 1967 basically because of a contract squabble, he famously said Halas "throws around nickels like manhole covers."
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

Toyota Camry LE, 2011. 200K miles.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

strafe wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 am Most of the "high mileage" cars in this thread are <200k and some even <100k miles. That's not high mileage. That's merely average.
Agreed. I don't think a car with less than 200k is even worth mentioning in a brag thread. I have owned two cars that went further than that and still had more life left when I sold them.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

06 Jeep

06 Jetta

Waiting_for_Godot

Post by Waiting_for_Godot »

Helo80 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:40 pm This thread is sad, in many ways, to me. At some point, many of y'all will wake up and realize that you could have driven a nicer/newer or more comfortable vehicle during your life and still retired just fine. Even the improvements in frame and crumple zones over the last decade is enough to justify an upgrade to me. I am not even speaking of the technology like blind spot monitoring or AEB that some BHs have poo-pooed in other threads; I am referencing purely the actual engineering safety that goes into vehicles that is painted and paneled over.

Every 100k miles, I hope y'all are changing your shocks/struts, spark plugs, timing belts (if applicable), and other unique servicing to your vehicle. Routine maintenance on a vehicle is more than simply changing the oil when the dashboard alerts you to do so, keeping fluids topped off, and enjoying your ride until something breaks (which I have found is far too common within the PF crowd).

Enjoy your rides though...
2011 Hyundai Accent, 148,000 miles.

At my last job, I would say to myself, on a weekly basis, 'thank god I bought a small car!' as the parking garage had oddly small spots, combined with peoples' horrendous parking skills. Also whenever I have to park on the street in the SF Bay Area, I can fit into many spots that others cannot, and I am not seriously concerned about any potential physical damage done to the car, either by someone hit and running on me (happened to a previous car) or by damage from running over debris on the road (which I am usually good at avoiding but could not in my current car).

As to why I don't change cars... I rather enjoy getting rid of things than acquiring new things, but the things I do keep I get attached to (I almost teared up trading in my 1998 Subaru when it was time). Also I feel like I would be missing out on the remaining value of the car if I sold it now, as the resell value is horrible, although I have been tempted by 2019 Hyundai Accents that I'm seeing advertised at 11k new.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Helo80 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 pm
JakeyLee wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:03 pm
Helo80,
Please don't take this in a negative way...I CAN afford a new car. Sadly, I got all the buying "new toys" out of my system. I am NOT a frugal person (wish I was). But I love keeping my old cars running. The return on doings so has been amazing over the last 20 plus years.. I simply do NOT get any satisfaction out of spending 30-60k on a new car, when I'm driving cars I bought 20 years ago... And loving it!! Don't get me wrong. I love new cars. Will probably have one or two more left (God willing) in my lifetime.

These threads are interesting to me. It confirms all the books I read in the last 30 years about wealth, and wealth accumulation. Generally speaking, people that accumulate real wealth have a few things in common. This happens to be one of them. I'm at a point in my life where I can pay cash for almost any luxury car on the market.. But I'm strangely at a point in my life where that doesn't doesn't appeal to me on any level. I have tools that are over 40 years old in my tool box.. I appreciate them more than any of my newer "fancier tools".. That's what vehicles feel like to many of us.

PM sent as it would go too far off-topic, and I'd invariably get snarky replies.

Carry on...
could you pm to me as well? I posted my odyssey’s lifetime costs (we sold at only ten years and 140k miles though. I really like seeing what all the costs of ownership are. Other than the odyssey we have not owned cars very long.
honda_solo

Post by honda_solo »

2006 Honda Civic LX 375,000+ miles

Original engine died at 288,000 miles due to manufacturing defect. Purchased and self installed a motor/transmission from 2011 Civic with 67,000 miles. Motor and transmission cost me $1400 from salvage yard. Original alternator died shortly after at 291,000 miles. While driving on the freeway a large heavy metal leaf spring went through my bumper and destroyed my A/C condenser, radiator, fans, and A/C compressor. I Had to pull over to prevent the car from overheating and blowing out a head gasket. Insurance company offered me $6000 to salvage car or $4500 and keep car. I kept the car and fixed everything with aftermarket parts from rockauto.com. Then my original starter died at 371,000 miles. I'm currently at 375,000 miles and still going strong.

Car will live a second, third life when my oldest daughter takes it to college in a few years!
Last edited by honda_solo on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

1980 MBZ 450 SL 50,000
1999 DODGE CTD 5 Spd Man 2500 QCLB 182,000

2 others: 10 years old and 13 years old

Buy things that last, from people that want "shiney new things" and want to sell their things that last.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Random Poster wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:41 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:41 am
OldBallCoach wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 am

Impressive.
Was that all 385K by you? How old was it?
All by me and and 11 years...
Wow that is crazy amount of driving per year!
I really like landcruiser and if money wasn't an object I would totally get it. I live in northeast, where rust is an issue with all toyotas. If I am getting such an expensive vehicle it better not rust out on me, and that is one concern with LC based on what I have read on ih8mud.

Did you get new LC or Lexus LX?
I have always bought the Toyota LC, not that the Lexus is bad. And yea I drive a lot of miles per year...which in my LC i can go in about any weather and I feel like it is a safe, solid car. I also like that I can get 300K plus out of it and on the last day it drives damn near lke the first day...no rattles or issues..wife drives a 4 Runner and likes it. We also have fun a sports car and an older Jeep at the beach house...we tend to keep things a long while!
Curious if you kept a running total of the Land Cruiser’s operating costs (fuel, mostly) and, if so, what that cost was.
I have honestly never done any of that,,,but I will say the costs of repairs are very small as things just dont break much..I can usually go 80-90K on a set of brakes ( I drive a lot of highway also I should add), I do tires about every 60-70K ( Always run Michelins), I put Blizzacks on for winter, I get the oil changed every 10K ( using Mobil One ) , I have my LC detailed every 10K when it goes in for service ( costs like 150 bucks) I usually tip the kid a 20 also...Mileage runs about 15-16mpg most of the time when I bother to check it...you might get 18-19 on the highway. I figure the real cost over 350K is probably not all that bad as buying two other 40K SUVs that get maybe 175 K out of them...to me the HUGE factor is that 200K the LC will still drive, handle and perform well...if you want a deal buy a 2015 with 75K on it for say $48,000 and drive it for another 250K or so..and get a good cash back card for gas too! A LC is NOT a sports SUV, they are heavy and solid as hell. I sit in the back seat some when I have a driver and its amazingly smooth and quiet. From a Boglehead standpoint I am not sure this is best car but from a real life standpoint prove me wrong!
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

burt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm OK, I'm going to play the devils advocate.

Who would want to spend the majority of their waking hours for 20+ years driving a car?
Hyperbole much?

;)
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

caffeperfavore wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 pm
smackboy1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 am 2007 MINI Cooper S 190,000 miles - does anybody else have a BMW product that lasted this long???
I'm blown away by this. I assumed Minis just returned to dust at around 60k. We have a 2007 Cooper S too... although with only 33,000 miles on it. I assume I can put another 160,000 on ours, right? Should only take us about 50 or so years.
MINIs are crap LOL. Ours had the engine rebuilt and ultimately replaced under warranty for carbon buildup on the intake valves. We sold it 2 years ago at 200,000+ miles.

If you want your MINI to last like ours, check the valves every 10,000 miles with a fiber optic camera and if there is carbon have the engine cleaned by blasting with walnut shells.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

2008 Honda Fit - 305k miles. Purchased new in 2008. Was my daily, now the wife's daily.
2004 Chevy Trailblazer - just tripped 200k miles. Purchased new in 2004
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Diesel) - 130k miles. Purchased used in 2010 with 85k miles.

Just recently added a brand new 1999 Honda Civic EX. Purchased October 2019 with 275k miles. My new daily.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

2003 Lexus RX300. As of last night, I had 196,000 miles on it. There will be a party in my car when it hits 200,000.

Gail
harrington

Post by harrington »

I own a 2012 Fiat 500 that I purchased for 10k from a neighbor who made an impulse purchase and it only had 600 miles. I was looking for a cheap runaround. After hearing all the horrible reviews I decided to roll the dice since it still had a four year 50,000 warranty. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. No issues at all and I just passed 150,000 miles 🤷‍♂️ And it’s a blast to drive.
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

2004 toyota solara 160k miles
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

anthonyphamy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:16 pm 2004 toyota solara 160k miles
Slacker :wink:

From 11/1/19 upthread:
Doom&Gloom wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm 2004 Toyota Solara with 275,380 miles left the house this week after being donated.
I'll venture that your Solara is in better condition than mine is/was. Durable and reliable car though!
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

2002 Nissan Sentra- 146,000 miles. Purchased new. Only one major problem since new- it needed a gas tank last winter after the original popped a leak caused by rust. It had been trouble-free until that point. Not sure if I would trust the new Nissan's with their CVT transmissions. Heard too many horror stories.

As an aside, I have been taking my nephew around looking at cars for going back and forth to college/work. His budget is small 3-4k range and almost all the cars we have seen are near or over 200,000 miles. A real eye opener for me. Hyundias, Toyotas, Hondas, all of them. 200k+ is the new normal. I remember back in the day when your car hit 70,000 it was getting to near junk status. Times have changed....

Bob
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

2012 Honda CR-V, 101,500 miles. I have no qualms to go for 200k with this car. I just had new front break rotors and pads installed, the rears were done a few months ago. This car is known for rusty brakes.

FYI - If anyone was wondering what their car was worth, you can get a free valuation from CARFAX: Used Car Values: What's My Car Worth?

The results don't tell you why your car is worth that amount, that's in the paid-for reports (or find a friendly dealer who can run your car on his CARFAX cellphone app). However, it's a good ballpark.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

dbr wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:35 pm I don't think anything made in this century or under 100,000 really counts. Over 200,000 is required to be truly impressive. I recently got rid of a '99 but it was only a bit past 100,000, so I am not going to flaunt it.

At one time back in the mid-seventies I owned a 50's something Ford truck. Who knows what the mileage actually was.
'99 explorer 235,000 miles. Drove it from PHL to ALBANY last week for a sales conference!
StopIroningShirts

Post by StopIroningShirts »

About to cross 222,222 in the '07 Honda Ridgeline
mernova

Post by mernova »

2003 Ford Expedition 220000. My wifes daily driver. Maintain them well and they will last.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

TdF fan wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:03 pm 323,000 miles - 1993 Honda Accord - bought new (planning on buying a new car soon)

a funny article from the Onion: http://www.theonion.com/article/toyota- ... ly-s-50480
Good for you!
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

2012 Honda Accord. Now 97k trouble free miles.
treadingwater

Post by treadingwater »

2007 Honda Accord. 203,000 miles. 1 broken axel repair approx 250$. Multiple airbag recalls. Otherwise just routine maintainance. Still purrs like a kitten.
Never panic. Stop looking so much.
Pilgprog

Post by Pilgprog »

2014 Subaru Forester 24000 miles bought new in ‘13
2013 GMC Sierra pickup 70000 miles bought used 2017 with 50k on it. Used primarily for RV towing.
CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 »

2001 4Runner 314,000.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

treadingwater wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm 2007 Honda Accord. 203,000 miles. 1 broken axel repair approx 250$. Multiple airbag recalls. Otherwise just routine maintainance. Still purrs like a kitten.
I also have a 2007 Accord, 208,000 miles. One of the axles recently broke in two underneath the rubber vibration damper. I had both axles replaced as a precaution. The axles were new, not rebuilt, but not OEM (and no dampers on the replacement axles, fwiw).

Disappointingly, since the repair, the car hasn’t driven as smoothly as before. There’s a brief, but noticeable shudder soon after accelerating from a stop. And I feel a slight “buzzing” vibration at highway speeds.

I had planned to keep the car another year or two, but the diminished smoothness bugs me. I’m on the fence as to whether it’s time to replace it.

Any comments appreciated.