Original Mattress Factory

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RedHawk

Original Mattress Factory

Post by RedHawk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm

I am in the market for a new queen mattress and have been researching mattresses as best as I can (hard to compare since same mattresses have different names at each store). Has anyone had any experience with buying from The Original Mattress Factory? I liked their mattresses and they seemed to be fairly priced. Just wondering if anyone has any previous experiences that they wouldn't mind sharing.

Also is my thinking to buy a regular mattress without a pillow-top and add an aftermarket pillow-top cover instead of buying a pillow-top mattress reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

retiredjg

Re: Original Mattress Factory

Post by retiredjg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Can't help you with the Mattress Factory.

My experience with a pillowtop was just a disaster. It felt great for a couple of weeks. After about 3 months, my expensive mattress with a pillowtop had a permanent dent it in. The mattress was not returnable and the warranty was worthless. My research showed that this problem is not unusual. Pillowtops get dents, period.

After probably a year, I surgically removed the pillowtop and got a 4" latex topper to replace the pillowtop. I learned about the mattress surgery from the internet. The solution is not wonderful, but it is workable. The latex topper is nice.

A new mattress is on the list of things to get. It will not be a pillowtop. No way, no how. What a stupid idea that turned out to be.

in contrast, I still have the box springs and mattress that my parents used, bought in the 50's or 60's. It is still fine. Mattress design and construction is all out of whack. The current stuff is garbage and finding a good mattress is very frustrating these days. I wish you luck. I feel confident that you will have a greater chance of success without the pillowtop.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 pm

We have purchased 3 or 4 from them. Good quality and value overall if you go with one of their mid price to upper price models.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:42 pm

My grad school classmate is the senior partner (?) of the Original Mattress Factory. But, I have no direct experience with any of their products.

He isn't particularly fond of pillow top mattresses, either - as far as I can remember. They can't be flipped to extend their service life.

Based on his business model, one of his manufacturing plants should be close by and a couple of years ago they were making ads suggesting that a tour could be arranged. The local store should be able to set it up. Might be worth a look to see how they are made, if that is part of your decision making process.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:54 pm

We just replaced a pillow-top King mattress. While it was about 8 years old, the permanent depression in it was just doing a wallop on our backs.

We replaced it with a latex/Foam hybrid we bought online at leesa.com. Feels like a dream, comes with a 100-day return warranty and free shipping, and was 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a mid-level store-bought king.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:25 pm

We have been using a mattress from the Original Mattress Factory for about 15 years. It is still comfortable and has served us well. As I recall, the price was right.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Well made pillow top mattresses should not get the sag that was mentioned or will have a warranty that does cover it beyond some slight measurement. I highly recommend the Chateau Collection by Stress-o-Pedic. Ours is the cashmere model in Chateau collection and has no sag at all after 8.5 years. Very comfortable still and DW says she is going to keep the bed if we ever parted ways. It is slightly more supportive in the center where we sleep less often but no visible sag at all. My father bought the same mattress as ours after we raved about our bed. Theirs did develop a slight sag in their regular sleeping spots but the manufacturer quickly responded. Asked for measurements once then later sent a technician to the house to recondition and correct any changes needed to the support and padding layers. Great shape again and no sign of any sag after 8 years.

daveatca

Data, Research

Post by daveatca » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Might be useful
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home ... erview.htm
after you spend the money to join.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:03 am

RadAudit wrote:He isn't particularly fond of pillow top mattresses, either - as far as I can remember. They can't be flipped to extend their service life.
Interesting. I have three of these from the Denver Mattress Company and all have the pillow top on both sides, easy to flip and rotate. The king still feels fine after 15 years. My housekeeper says that all three are still in very good condition.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:08 am

RedHawk wrote:I am in the market for a new queen mattress and have been researching mattresses as best as I can (hard to compare since same mattresses have different names at each store). Has anyone had any experience with buying from The Original Mattress Factory? I liked their mattresses and they seemed to be fairly priced. Just wondering if anyone has any previous experiences that they wouldn't mind sharing.
We have 2 of them, both Queen (NOT Pillowtop). They seem to last forever. The older one is about 17 years old and the other is about 11 years old and both seem just fine.
Last edited by Boglenaut on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

neutics

Post by neutics » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:09 am

Try Casper.com We have bought two for family and guest rooms and are very happy with them considering the cost. I think they offer a 60-day return guarantee since you are buying it online.

Also, if you want to scare yourself do some research on the chemicals and crap they put in most mattresses. My wife is this type which is why we ended up buying a $3,000 all-natural 100% latex mattress. Not very Bogleheadish, but her peace of mind is priceless.

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:14 am

Went through a mattress purchase this year. The new business model is to buy it for a 90 day in home sleep trial and see which you like. We've settled on a latex mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. Other popular ones are Casper, Leesa, Mattress in a Box, Tuft & Needle. A couple of good sites for reviews are sleeplikethedead.com and mattressunderground.com

Julieta

Post by Julieta » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:24 am

Recently we planned to replace our queen size mattress. We visited the OMF store and they showed us the many layers in the mattress. It is my understanding that the top layer is the most important and the one you actually "feel". We decided to experiment first by purchasing a mattress topper. We purchased a 3" foam mattress topper from Costco and placed it on our existing mattresss. It is very comfortable and we decided not to buy a new mattress. If you need a new mattress consider the mattress topper for the top layer and don't over spend for all the layers of the expensive ones.
Keep It Simple

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 pm

No on the pillow top. We had a queen good name brand for 8 years, totally gave out in terms of support and developed a big lump in the middle. We've had a Tempurpedic for a year and love it. We went for the firm. The top has the cooling cover so it's not hot as some of the earlier ones were.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 pm

We bought a Leesa king size mattress this summer and we are extremely happy with it. We have tried several mattresses in the last 15 years and all of them have been junk compared to the Leesa.

jambadoc

Post by jambadoc » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:35 pm

We've bought two OMF mattresses in the last couple of years. I think I got the recommendation from this site. I didn't want a pillowtop, because I've had the same bad experiences as everyone else seems to. It was a good value and seems to be holding up well. As transparent as any marketing I've seen. If you go to the store, they'll give their spiel on their quality construction methods, but otherwise were pretty laid back. Pretty comfortable mattress. I liked the "ultra plush" better than the "luxury firm", but hey, personal preference.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:04 pm

I tried a Leesa and Casper but couldn't sleep comfortably with either. I am currently trying out a firm Brooklyn Bedding mattress. This post on Mattress Underground seems to be a good summary by someone who is knowledgeable about the industry for these new mattresses.

http://www.themattressunderground.com/m ... esses.html

Bonnan

Post by Bonnan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:32 pm

For the average consumer they are #1 from my first hand experience and opinion.We've bought 3 or 4 and have been quite satisfied.
The employees (in the Pittsburgh area) seem very content and do their job with sincerity and honesty.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:38 pm

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ is the best mattress, material, vendor site for mattresses, suggest you take a look.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Bonnan wrote:For the average consumer they are #1 from my first hand experience and opinion.We've bought 3 or 4 and have been quite satisfied.
The employees (in the Pittsburgh area) seem very content and do their job with sincerity and honesty.
Same experience here. I never would have gone there, but my husband has bought all of our mattresses from OMF and they have been great. No complaints.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:31 pm

There were several postings about mattresses on this forum. We do not have a mattress from OMF, but from a different manufacturer (Englander) now for 23 years, is still in perfect condition. You should look for a mattress with at least a one year warranty, because dents can develop later. Basically, there should not be a dent developing within a year!
The story goes that large stores have deals with mattress manufacturers to make mattresses which gives them the max profit. That's why with the same manufacturer I could not compare mattresses between different stores, all mattresses had different names (and prices) years ago. So be careful. I recall that our mattress has a lot of springs, and I have no backpain.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Yes, we have bought multiple mattresses from Original Mattress Factory and have been very satisfied. We have a king "firm" (non-pillow top) and have a synthetic down topper on it that we got a Sam's that I think was called "The Hotel Bed" which is pretty accurate after you change the bed and re-loft or fluff it.