Best Way to get rid of leaves

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LateStarter1975

Best Way to get rid of leaves

Post by LateStarter1975 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:56 am

We're new at home ownership. We have 3/4 acre of backyard space with 4 trees and accordingly, we already have a lot of fallen leaves to deal with. I've been wondering what the most effective and less time consuming way to get rid of these leaves. I've considered raking them and bagging them or using a leaf blower, though I still have to collect the leaves and bag them. I'm just wondering what some Bogleheads with experience on this would suggest. Thanks for your time.
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

edge

Re: Best Way to get rid of leaves

Post by edge » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:01 am

The fastest way is to mulch with the mower. If there are too many leaves to mulch and leave on the ground then mulch/bag with the mower.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:07 am

LateStarter1975 wrote:We're new at home ownership. We have 3/4 acre of backyard space with 4 trees and accordingly, we already have a lot of fallen leaves to deal with. I've been wondering what the most effective and less time consuming way to get rid of these leaves. I've considered raking them and bagging them or using a leaf blower, though I still have to collect the leaves and bag them. I'm just wondering what some Bogleheads with experience on this would suggest. Thanks for your time.
Your post said "best", which doesn't necessarily imply cheapest, so maybe hire someone? In terms of equipment, if you have enough space to maneuver, maybe a tractor-mounted vacuum?

Personally I've not found my 19" mulching mower much use for moderate to large accumulations of leaves - it just pushes them out of the way. It's ok for very small accumulations. And it has no effect on the wet leaves attached to the ground, of course.

I never understood leaf blowers. I see people (commercial services, mainly) operating leaf blowers when the wind is almost the same velocity as the leaf blower output, and it's got to be bad for the operators to be inhaling those fumes all day (although the same could be said for some other outdoor tools.)

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:11 am

Does your town have a brush/leave disposal site? 4 trees aren't going to produce very much and should be quite easy to rake up and put into contractor sized bags or those paper bags that the big box stores sell.

We have lots of trees (13 acres of mostly oak, some maple and beech) but only 6000 sq ft of lawn. But the driveway gets covered. I do a combination of things. On Saturdays when our recycling & leave site is open, I'll take down a small amount...maybe 20 trash barrels full. Otherwise, I fill in areas in our woods that are way out of sight.

Some cities pick up piles along the curb (Worcester, MA does this). I guess you could fill garbage bags and put them in the trash.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

pondering

Post by pondering » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 am

Small tractors are popular in my neighborhood.

Me and the neighbor behind me are piling the leaves. I expect it will take a couple of years for them to decompose. We fenced in our yard for our dog, so I'm using the far wall of the fence as the place to pike the leaves.

Most people leave their leaves out for collection.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:17 am

Regardless of how you dispose of them get a leaf blower, no raking. I spent 25 years raking and finally got a Toro electric blower, what a God send! Some towns might still let you light them on fire but I doubt it. I used to get curbside pick-up but no longer. I have woods next to my house so I spread them there.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:18 am

tibbitts wrote:
LateStarter1975 wrote:We're new at home ownership. We have 3/4 acre of backyard space with 4 trees and accordingly, we already have a lot of fallen leaves to deal with. I've been wondering what the most effective and less time consuming way to get rid of these leaves. I've considered raking them and bagging them or using a leaf blower, though I still have to collect the leaves and bag them. I'm just wondering what some Bogleheads with experience on this would suggest. Thanks for your time.
Your post said "best", which doesn't necessarily imply cheapest, so maybe hire someone? In terms of equipment, if you have enough space to maneuver, maybe a tractor-mounted vacuum?

Personally I've not found my 19" mulching mower much use for moderate to large accumulations of leaves - it just pushes them out of the way. It's ok for very small accumulations. And it has no effect on the wet leaves attached to the ground, of course.

I never understood leaf blowers. I see people (commercial services, mainly) operating leaf blowers when the wind is almost the same velocity as the leaf blower output, and it's got to be bad for the operators to be inhaling those fumes all day (although the same could be said for some other outdoor tools.)
I use an electric leaf blower by Toro - no fumes, but you do have to contend with the proximity of the electric socket to the location and length of cord you are trailing behind you. I have a mulching mower, but find the wind will just blow the little bits all over the place and given the volume the OP is talking about, your best friend is going to be the "rake" and paper bags (not to mention the exercise) or a vacum attachment on the blower that sucks the leaves up, mulches and places them in an attachment bag. I have 1/3 the property size but a fair number of trees surround my home and the wind is very generous in spreading the leaf bagging duties around the neighborhood. :annoyed I just took down 1 tree that was responsible for 30 bags of leaves per year alone. Trees are nice to look at on someone else's property or in a forest. If you liked to see green instead of brown, there will be work, money or a combination of both involved.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

user5027

Post by user5027 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 am

I blow them into a pile then vacuum them into a 96 gallon can. The vacuum shreds and compacts them.

I use...
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/yard- ... -vac-51619
with...
https://www.worx.com/en-US/LeafPro.aspx

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:51 am

user5027 wrote:I blow them into a pile then vacuum them into a 96 gallon can. The vacuum shreds and compacts them.

I use...
with...
Thanks for the tip - I'm going to get that for the remainder of the leaves I need to clean up on the front lawn.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:00 am

I mulch them with my mower. Sure, it leaves (pun?) the yard looking brown with ground up leaves for a short time, but it's easy and provides free fertilizer for the grass.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:12 am

Grass won't grow under the shade of trees anyways, so I leave my leaves under the trees to compost on their own. In areas where I have grass, I just mow with a mulching blade. All our trees are in "beds". At some point in late fall, I will use the grass catcher to collect the mulched leaves and just empty the mulched leaves in the beds.

Some folks around me actually pay to have mulch delivered and placed around their trees. I don't get get it myself: Rake up leaves, put down mulch. What's up with that?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 am

Where I live, if you put them in the street in piles, the municipality comes once a week during leaf season with a big vacuum truck and sucks them up. In order to get them to the street, my preferred method is a blower on wheels. I have a "Little Giant" blower that I bought used a few years ago. If the grass/leaves were even slightly wet, a handheld blower couldn't get all of them to move.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Shred with mower, then either into the compost pile or under shrubs as mulch.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 pm

I either mulch them with the mower or just leave them on the ground in tact. Over the winter they mostly all breakdown on their own and come spring there might be a little bit of raking but no where near the amount you would deal with in the fall.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Use to have lawn tractor and towed sweeper to clean up my postage stamp estate. Lots of work. Turns out I spent more time maintaining equipment than getting "seat time" using it. Life became easier after removing several messy/damaged trees.

Fall clean up now consists of:
--Use Toro electric leaf blower to blow leaves from house gutters onto driveway/walkway/patio. (~.5 hour)
--Use leaf blower to herd leaves from driveway/walkway/patio into lawn and composting area. (~.5 hour)
--Use small self-propelled mower in broadcast mode on lawn to shred leaves and call it good. (~.5 hour)
Anything left of the leaves disappears over winter and under new spring grass.

Trickiest part is waiting for all leave to fall, then getting a week with no rain before getting on roof to clean dry gutters.

A larger acreage and the requirement for a more manicured appearance will require more toys/work.
Last edited by dratkinson on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
user5027 wrote:I blow them into a pile then vacuum them into a 96 gallon can. The vacuum shreds and compacts them.

I use...
with...
Thanks for the tip - I'm going to get that for the remainder of the leaves I need to clean up on the front lawn.
You're welcome. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

alec

Post by alec » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:03 pm

edge wrote:The fastest way is to mulch with the mower. If there are too many leaves to mulch and leave on the ground then mulch/bag with the mower.
:thumbsup

I just mow once a week until late November with the blades set high. Haven't raked or bagged in three years.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Get a leaf blower,,this Toro(link below) is super. :happy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SBP ... detailpage
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:13 pm

That's free mulch and compost you have there. Getting rid of leaves is like growing vegetables and then throwing them in the trash.

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:21 pm

My approach at home:

I'll mow over the leaves with my mulching mower as I'm cutting the grass. This leaves a bit of a mess, but I'm lazy. If they get in the way of my steps, I brush them aside with my foot.

When I'm cleaning up my girlfriend's Mom's yard:

We either mow the yard and leaves and bag it, which is time consuming, or we rake the leaves, shred them and put them in leaf disposal bags, which is time consuming.

I like the lazy approach better myself.

- Tim

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Make sure you are the last one in the neighborhood to cleanup. Otherwise your neighbors leaves will end up on your yard and you are back to work.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 pm

When we had the orchard, we let. Nature, do whatever Nature does with fallen leaves. :confused
In our yard, we 1) mow/mulch in place. 2) Chain saw. :oops:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

larklea

Post by larklea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Mowing works for me, but I use the mulching plug on the mower so it leaves the 'leaves' in the grass. Blowing, raking, bagging can be a real hassle. Sometimes you have no choice. I'm an die-hard composter, but leaves can be a real hassle if they're not chopped up first. Years ago I have a shoulder vacuum that chopped the leaves into a big cloth vacuum bag. This worked and the chopped leaves were great for the composter. I wouldn't recommend this for much of a yard, you'll be worn out.

If I was looking at a long-term, large yard and lots of trees, I'd look at vacuums/bagging options for a riding lawnmower/tractor.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:06 pm

It all depends what you do with your 3/4 acre back yard. I have less than 1/2 acre total property and bag the leaves for town pickup. People with 3/4 acre usually would blow or rake the leaves to the far corner of this relatively large backyard and let the leaves compost there. You could rake or blow leaves onto a tarp and drag them to that far corner. I do not use shredded leaves as mulch on perennial beds because critters and slugs tend to overwinter there. But I have also 3 compost bins with shredded leaves. Big piles of leaves tend to become a breeding colony of mice and voles, therefore they should be far away from desirable plantings.
Last edited by likegarden on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:21 pm

likegarden wrote:It all depends what you do with your 3/4 acre back yard. I have less than 1/2 acre total property and bag the leaves for town pickup. People with 3/4 acre usually would blow or rake the leaves to the far corner of this relatively large backyard and let the leaves compost there. You could rake or blow leaves onto a tarp and drag them to that far corner.
I've a half acre with the back third of the lot wild.
So I blow/rake the back yard leaves into a pile, load them into 32 gallon trash cans and dump them into that back section.

The front yard I blow/rake into a pile and then take six 32 gallon cans to the town leaf dump at a time in my pickup...
Attempted new signature...

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:37 pm

2 acre yard- half inside fencing with ornamental beds and half outside fencing in wooded area with mostly oaks, hickories,and some poplar, maybe the odd maple.

80% of the leaves inside the fencing get raked or blown into a big pile, finely shredded, then used to mulch the ornamental beds. I also gather bags of leaves that our neighbors put out for trash if I am certain that theirs is a yard free of Chemlawn and other pesticides. I can't get enough leaves and shredding them and putting them back down is free mulch to me- certainly means less I have to buy in the spring when dressing things up for the season.

The leaves nearer the back gate get raked/blown into a compost pile in the woods. Our wooded area compost piles are "cold composted" meaning no turning and no worries about percentages of green vs. brown or watering. It takes about three years for the heavy oak leaves to turn into leaf mold and then it is brought back up to the ornamental beds. So we keep three large compost piles going out there to ensure enough leaf mold for fertilizing ornamentals each spring.

Work, yeah. Better quality mulch for sure. And I feel better not discarding them.

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Mowing, mulching and letting them decompose on your lawn is one of the best things you can do for your lawn and soil.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:15 pm

With southern wind, I've been collecting leaves now for 3 weeks. I mulch them with my mower, but bag the leaves. I don't want fungus next spring. I picked them up this morning prior to the heavy 5" inches or more, as wet leaves kill grass faster than anything.
After the leaves have all fallen, I'll change the oil and sharpen my blades on the mower. Have it ready for spring.
Last edited by rustymutt on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:17 pm

I have good sized front and back yards and enjoy getting out there and keeping it looking nice.

I use a blower to get the leaves out of the bushes and into a pile, I use the vacuum to get the leaves along the fence line which I collect in the big vacuum bag and dump into the leaf pile.

Then I use a Toro mulching mower to run over the piles of leaves collected. I make 5 or 6 passes over the piles to mulch into fine fertilizer. If the mulch is too heavy I use the blower to spread it around.

My nightmare would be mowing and BAGGING the leaves. No way. Bagging is a royal pain. Mulching is the way to go and I'm told is good for the grass.

The lawn looks great.

One last idea on dealing with leaves. This Fall I bought a Rigid 6hp 14 gal shop vac with a gutter kit to vacuum the leaves out of the gutters without going up on a ladder. That was the BEST $100 I ever spent at Home Depot. No more going on the roof for me.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:03 pm

I have bagged and/or transported to the city leaf dump lot in the past, but now I just mow them w/ my mower. Its not a mulching mower either, just go over them a bunch of times.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:06 pm

tibbitts wrote:
I never understood leaf blowers.
They are a HUGE time saver. I used to use one to blow all the leaves into a huge pile in the street, then I could easily fill the back of my pickup to haul to the city leaf dump. No blower means I'd have to do that w/ a rake which would easily take a few hours.

Raladic

Post by Raladic » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:21 am

mj13f150 wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
I never understood leaf blowers.
They are a HUGE time saver. I used to use one to blow all the leaves into a huge pile in the street, then I could easily fill the back of my pickup to haul to the city leaf dump. No blower means I'd have to do that w/ a rake which would easily take a few hours.
+1 on that.

I have a very long driveway, so the mulching option many on the thread are pointing out isn't possible since it will just compost and hurt the driveway, so using my leaf lower takes me usually 30min-1hr to clean the driveway, it would take a whole lot longer to rake that.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 am

I use a Toro electric blower/mulcher to mulch the leaves into the attached bag which I then dump around trees and also use for composting.

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:52 am

I do not like the sound of leaf blowers, especially the gas types when they are throttled up and down. I do not want to contribute to the din.

A walk behind mower, even if it's a mulcher, does not fully mulch the leaves and it looks like aitch if you care about that. Plus, the leaves dull the blade and I don't think the dust is good for the engine or for me. A big mower is great for leaves if the leaves are collected. My lawn is too small for a big mower.

I am also one of the few nuts who actually enjoys raking for the exercise and satisfaction. Nothing like raking on a crisp autumn day. Pathetic, I know.

My village does not collect loose leaves at the curb (only bagged and tagged), so I have to do something with them. Unmulched leaves fill up a lot of bags, so I bought an "Eco Shredder" on Amazon. I rake them into a pile in the center of the lawn and grind away. Mulching reduces the volume of leaves by as much as 80%. I then use the mulch as compost for shrubs and set to the curb for pickup what I can't use.

I am also one of the crazies who still shovels snow.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:58 am

The Wizard wrote:I've a half acre with the back third of the lot wild.
So I blow/rake the back yard leaves into a pile, load them into 32 gallon trash cans and dump them into that back section.
This is what I did with my former yard. I had a mini-forest in the back.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:05 am

Oddlot wrote:I do not like the sound of leaf blowers, especially the gas types when they are throttled up and down. I do not want to contribute to the din.

I am also one of the few nuts who actually enjoys raking for the exercise and satisfaction. Nothing like raking on a crisp autumn day. Pathetic, I know.
Having someone nearby use a leaf blower is like having someone nearby revving a motorcycle for half an hour or an hour. I note that even if the person using the leaf blower has ear protection, the neighbors, pets, and wildlife do not. Plus the environmental impact is large.

Raking is pleasant, good exercise. Or mow over them.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:15 am

I have a vacuum/ blower and use it as a vacuum to collect leaves around bushes and fence, then put those shredded leaves into compost bins. I do it once a year wearing earmuffs.
Oddlot, I agree - raking leaves and shoveling snow is good exercise in clean air in the sun, I enjoy it, am 76.

canderson

Post by canderson » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:57 am

+7 or whatever on the Toro linked upthread.

Only issue we have is leave that are on our large mulch beds. Virtually impossible to remove them and not take half the mulch as well so we just leave those.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:53 am

canderson wrote:+7 or whatever on the Toro linked upthread.

Only issue we have is leave that are on our large mulch beds. Virtually impossible to remove them and not take half the mulch as well so we just leave those.

On our mulched raised beds we use chicken wire over the tops which makes the it easy to remove the leaves and keeps the cats from leaving their doings where we don't want them.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:00 pm

canderson wrote:+7 or whatever on the Toro linked upthread.

The Toro vacuum has a dial to control the impeller speed. You should be able to adjust the suction to take the leaves but leave (pun intended :D ) the mulch.

Jill07

Post by Jill07 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Instead of bagging up the leaves, try raking them onto a tarp and dragging them to a leaf compost pile at the far corner of your yard.

We have one tarp that is small enough for one person to handle (gather the corners up and drag). Also, have one very large tarp that requires two people but can hold a TON of leaves.

Jill

LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. In a sudden shot of motivation, my wife and I, along with some gracious family members that came visiting, raked the backyard and bagged the leaves. They filled 30 large bags and took us about 2.5 hours (5 adults). It's funny but we all liked the little exercise before we ate Thanksgiving dinner. Going forward though I think I like the idea by User5027 and I'm going to check out the Toro leaf blower he recommended.
Once again, thanks for your thoughts
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Does your town have a brush/leave disposal site? 4 trees aren't going to produce very much and should be quite easy to rake up and put into contractor sized bags or those paper bags that the big box stores sell.

We have lots of trees (13 acres of mostly oak, some maple and beech) but only 6000 sq ft of lawn. But the driveway gets covered. I do a combination of things. On Saturdays when our recycling & leave site is open, I'll take down a small amount...maybe 20 trash barrels full. Otherwise, I fill in areas in our woods that are way out of sight.

Some cities pick up piles along the curb (Worcester, MA does this). I guess you could fill garbage bags and put them in the trash.
You clearly do not have water oak trees.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:54 am

Ninegrams wrote:I use a Toro electric blower/mulcher to mulch the leaves into the attached bag which I then dump around trees and also use for composting.
I did that too....for one and only one fall. The blow into a big pile option then use rake and hand to scoop and dump into the back of my pickup was much quicker.

Also you could use the blower to blow them into a pile THEN attach the bag and suck them into the bag from the pile.

Its all about saving time!

now I just mow over em!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:54 am

Jill07 wrote:Instead of bagging up the leaves, try raking them onto a tarp and dragging them to a leaf compost pile at the far corner of your yard.

We have one tarp that is small enough for one person to handle (gather the corners up and drag). Also, have one very large tarp that requires two people but can hold a TON of leaves.

Jill
+1 on that too!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:57 am

Raladic wrote:
I have a very long driveway, so the mulching option many on the thread are pointing out isn't possible since it will just compost and hurt the driveway, so using my leaf lower takes me usually 30min-1hr to clean the driveway, it would take a whole lot longer to rake that.
could you explain what you mean by hurting the driveway? Thanks.

indexingfun

Post by indexingfun » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:24 am

mouses wrote:That's free mulch and compost you have there. Getting rid of leaves is like growing vegetables and then throwing them in the trash.
Indeed! When I first moved to my house, I would leave up to 20 bags of leaves and pine needles by the curb for the town to pick up. Like others, I now use the Toro 51619 to vacuum and mulch the leaves. This year I used everything for mulch on plant beds, or for compost. Pine needles don’t need to be cut up and I think they look pretty attractive as mulch. I also store away several bags of needles in the garage for the following spring and summer, as mulch beds tend to get matted down or decay over time. This gives me a year-round supply.

(Full disclosure on the Toro: on the first one I bought, the bag zipper broke the second time I used it. Hoping that was an aberration and the second one will hold up.)

Raladic

Post by Raladic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:25 pm

mj13f150 wrote:
Raladic wrote:
could you explain what you mean by hurting the driveway? Thanks.
Sure, I guess I have to preempt that I live in the PNW so its very wet when leaves start to fall and they will literally start to turn into mud in the matter of a couple of weeks, which provides a nice and moist breeding ground for moss, which in turn is slick and you can slip on it or if its in cracks it tends to widen them over time, which means you may have to reseal the crack or if too large you may even have to redo parts of the driveway.

So the bottom line is, clean the driveway to keep it from inviting all these unwanted effects.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:34 pm

mj13f150 wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:I use a Toro electric blower/mulcher to mulch the leaves into the attached bag which I then dump around trees and also use for composting.
I did that too....for one and only one fall. The blow into a big pile option then use rake and hand to scoop and dump into the back of my pickup was much quicker.

Also you could use the blower to blow them into a pile THEN attach the bag and suck them into the bag from the pile.

Its all about saving time!

now I just mow over em!

I actually found i faster to rake the leaves into a big pile and then use the Toro mulch them. Different strokes...

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:43 am

Flamethrower!

Just kidding. What I do is mow the lawn and throw the leaves and lawn clippings over the hill in the back.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course