Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
stratton
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by stratton » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:55 am

Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)
Windows 7 is more than six years old. Most of the cheap upgrade offers that were available when it was fresh and new are long gone. But if you prefer the familiar Windows 7 interface (or need it for testing and evaluation) you can still find great deals. Here are all the details you need.
Short form is look at business computers and not "home" computers.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18560
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:53 am

Thank you, Paul, this is useful. I have just reviewed Dell's offerings and may consider one of them. My current Vostro laptop is from 2007.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2272
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 am

> Short form is look at business computers

That's because businesses often have very useful, paid-for software and they need to do stuff with their computers.

If you think the same way trailing-edge software is often the way to go.

(I'm about to build a Windows 7 machine for some older cards, that cost maybe ten times the cost of a computer.)

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 36660
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by nisiprius » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:38 am

Unfortunately, what my wife and I discovered, when, scared of Vista, when she pounced on one of the last available retail PCs with Windows XP preinstalled... the problem is that Microsoft can make life miserable for anyone running an older version of Windows than Microsoft wants people to use.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18560
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 am

nisiprius wrote:Unfortunately, what my wife and I discovered, when, scared of Vista, when she pounced on one of the last available retail PCs with Windows XP preinstalled... the problem is that Microsoft can make life miserable for anyone running an older version of Windows than Microsoft wants people to use.
I am still running Windows XP on the above mentioned 2007 Dell Vostro. After the support for XP was officially terminated, I am using the laptop very carefully, e.g., I am browsing the Internet as a NON-Admin user. Interestingly, every once in a while, Microsoft STILL installs critical updates.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18560
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 am

VictoriaF wrote:Thank you, Paul, this is useful. I have just reviewed Dell's offerings and may consider one of them. My current Vostro laptop is from 2007.
My front runner at the moment is Vostro 15 3000 which comes with:
- Windows 7 Professional
- 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Processor
- 4GB memory
- 15.6" screen
- Windows 10 OS Recovery 64bit (on DVD)
- Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
- ~5lb.

I am adding:
- MS Office Home and Business 2016 (~$200)
- Adobe Acrobat Standard DC (~$80) and
- Dell Slim Power Adapter - 65 Watt (~$40)

The price with my options is ~$870 PLUS tax and shipment, AFTER $536 in Black Friday savings.

It seems to have all the options I need and no features I don't need. I am not price sensitive but don't want to make an obvious mistake. What are chances that after Christmas the same laptop will be $100-$150 cheaper?

Thank you,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14127
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by Watty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:07 am

VictoriaF wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Unfortunately, what my wife and I discovered, when, scared of Vista, when she pounced on one of the last available retail PCs with Windows XP preinstalled... the problem is that Microsoft can make life miserable for anyone running an older version of Windows than Microsoft wants people to use.
I am still running Windows XP on the above mentioned 2007 Dell Vostro. After the support for XP was officially terminated, I am using the laptop very carefully, e.g., I am browsing the Internet as a NON-Admin user. Interestingly, every once in a while, Microsoft STILL installs critical updates.

Victoria
There are some good reasons for keeping an older system but for surfing the internet you should really get a newer one. As I recall the guarantees that financial institutions give against internet fraud may require adequate security security on your end and they could baulk at covering someone that has an XP system

Even excluding the doorbusters there are lots of good sales this weekend and you should be able to get a decent windows laptop or chromebook for about $200 or less.

rgs92
Posts: 2167
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by rgs92 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:21 am

Windows 10 is a big step up. Win 7 would often wake up from sleeping and my USB devices would be dead.
And it reboots/shuts down much faster. And I have not seen 1 blue screen since I got 10 (I got blued-out often before with 7 or XP long ago).
10 is free for 7 users, so I can't see not moving on, especially since new service packs will end for 7 soon I think.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3142
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by Rob5TCP » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 am

VictoriaF wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Thank you, Paul, this is useful. I have just reviewed Dell's offerings and may consider one of them. My current Vostro laptop is from 2007.
My front runner at the moment is Vostro 15 3000 which comes with:
- Windows 7 Professional
- 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Processor
- 4GB memory
- 15.6" screen
- Windows 10 OS Recovery 64bit (on DVD)
- Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
- ~5lb.

I am adding:
- MS Office Home and Business 2016 (~$200)
- Adobe Acrobat Standard DC (~$80) and
- Dell Slim Power Adapter - 65 Watt (~$40)

The price with my options is ~$870 PLUS tax and shipment, AFTER $536 in Black Friday savings.

It seems to have all the options I need and no features I don't need. I am not price sensitive but don't want to make an obvious mistake. What are chances that after Christmas the same laptop will be $100-$150 cheaper?

Thank you,
Victoria
I have the Vostro 3450
It's a good machine (my backup)
I believe it's $63 for an extra 4GB of RAM. To me that's worth it.
Check tech bargains in case their are some better deals (I found one last night for a friend ordering an Optiplex 3020).

http://www.techbargains.com/
Also ordering on the phone can sometimes get you something to sweeten the deal.

Here was a code we used last night: there may be others: Extra $150 off select Latitude/Optiplex PCs over $500 w/ Code: "DELL$150"
Changes $150 cheaper are unlikely - though $50-$100 are possible; these "deals" come/go. I usually follow prices for a few weeks before I buy (usually Dell Optiplexes)

Also if you can do with M/S Office Home/Student - this will save about $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

blevine
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: New York

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by blevine » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:37 am

Bought a new laptop for my college bound son, a few months ago.
They offered Windows 8 or 7 (just before 10 came out).
But they charged a premium to install 7 over 8.
So we got 8, and immediately upgraded to 10 when available.
10 is working fine for him, no issues.

I can understand back when 8 was the default, wanting 7,
but now 10 seems to be the way to go for a new PC.

At work I still use 7, as megacorps need to do a great deal of testing and
other work to move forward. But personal experience with 10 is that it's fine
for individual use.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:56 am

I'm a Mac user who's considering buying a copy of Windows to use in a virtual machine. My work "offers" the ability to VPN to the office from a Mac, but every OS X upgrade seems to break it, requiring me to downgrade to an ancient version of Java in order to get the VPN working again. I'm thinking maybe with a Windows 7 VM I can more easily VPN to the office.

Any reason why the OEM version of Windows 7 suggested in the OP's link might not work for this purpose?

dziuniek
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Corrupticut

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by dziuniek » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Nope, you should be fine.

dumbmoney
Posts: 2281
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by dumbmoney » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:38 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Unfortunately, what my wife and I discovered, when, scared of Vista, when she pounced on one of the last available retail PCs with Windows XP preinstalled... the problem is that Microsoft can make life miserable for anyone running an older version of Windows than Microsoft wants people to use.
I am still running Windows XP on the above mentioned 2007 Dell Vostro. After the support for XP was officially terminated, I am using the laptop very carefully, e.g., I am browsing the Internet as a NON-Admin user. Interestingly, every once in a while, Microsoft STILL installs critical updates.
You should be fine if you use an up to date web browser. Firefox still supports Windows XP. Don't use Internet Explorer, don't use Adobe Flash.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:46 pm

dziuniek wrote:Nope, you should be fine.
Thanks. I ordered the 32-bit version on Amazon for $40, it arrived already, and I set up the Windows 7 VM. Once I added free anti-virus and Visual C++ Redistributable, the VPN worked great!

dziuniek
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Corrupticut

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by dziuniek » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
dziuniek wrote:Nope, you should be fine.
Thanks. I ordered the 32-bit version on Amazon for $40, it arrived already, and I set up the Windows 7 VM. Once I added free anti-virus and Visual C++ Redistributable, the VPN worked great!
Glad that worked out for you. Out of curiosity... free win10 update too?

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:49 am

dziuniek wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:
dziuniek wrote:Nope, you should be fine.
Thanks. I ordered the 32-bit version on Amazon for $40, it arrived already, and I set up the Windows 7 VM. Once I added free anti-virus and Visual C++ Redistributable, the VPN worked great!
Glad that worked out for you. Out of curiosity... free win10 update too?
Looking at the rules at the bottom of this page, I'd guess that my OEM Win 7 is eligible for the upgrade. However, I'm literally only using this VM for the specific purpose of accessing my work's VPN, and my work's VPN connection setup appears to be constructed of balsa wood and duct tape. Windows 7 is good for a few years, so I think I'm going to stick with what's stable. No need to stir the pot. :)

Post Reply