Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:33 pm

After a recent thread about travel bags, I'm reevaluating the convertible backpack I have. The Patagonia MLC 45L lacks the better support and padding of my Dana Designs backpack, but that's not a carry-on nor is it "convertible", so the two bags really aren't directly comparable. But, I've been spoiled by bags with great padding, and my current focus is on a convertible backpack with at least pretty decent padding on the straps and hip belt. A couple of posters on the other thread spoke highly of Osprey bags, and I have looked at their product lineup more closely.

I'm interested in the Porter 30. It seems about the right capacity for a trip of several days, though I was hoping that with good planning and packing, maybe I could make it work for a two-week trip. The idea would be to only carry several days of fairly low-maintenance clothing that could be washed at night in the room. Admittedly, 1800 cubic inches (ci) isn't a ton of packing space, but now that airlines have really clamped down on carry-on weight limits, especially internationally, there's added incentive / pressure to pack light.

I stumbled on the Osprey Daylite and thought an add-on bag feature could be pretty nice. It gives more flexibility as I could use the Porter 30 only for shorter trips and then add the Daylite for longer excursions. Together, the bags would offer 2600 cubic inches in capacity, although not in one contiguous space.

For people who have or have considered a bag with an add-on bag feature, how has this worked out? Is it appropriate to focus on the total volume or should I really be discounting it in some fashion, given it is divided between two bags? Also, if anyone has experience with these two bags or would recommend another product, I would be interested. I'm female and have a small frame.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/d ... /porter_30

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/b ... /daylite_2

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/tra ... ?p=48109-0

EvelynM
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by EvelynM » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:52 pm

I've used PacSafe products for years and highly recommend them. Not sure if they have exactly what you're describing, but here is their website:

http://www.pacsafe.com/backpacks-and-travel-bags.html

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:11 pm

EvelynM wrote:I've used PacSafe products for years and highly recommend them. Not sure if they have exactly what you're describing, but here is their website:

http://www.pacsafe.com/backpacks-and-travel-bags.html
Thank you. If possible, would you say that your strong recommendation stems from the anti-theft features primarily or from the functionality and ease-of-use aspects as well? At this point, my decision will be more driven by general design considerations. Of course, I don't want to have anything stolen, but I try to minimize the valuables I bring on a trip. To the extent I must carry money, passport, etc. I keep them on me and inaccessible to others.

mw1739
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by mw1739 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:21 pm

I also have the Patagonia MLC, but I'm largely satisfied with it. When researching convertible bags, I also considered the Red Oxx bags (Sky Train or even Air Boss) and also the Tom Bihn bags, which I'm told have very comfortable shoulder straps.

Flyertalk is a great resource for travel bag recommendations and reviews.

Phil1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by Phil1234 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for, but if you're considering the Porter 30, you might want to check out the Tortuga Air. I purchased the Tortuga Air a few months ago after considering the Porter 30, a few Tom Bihn models, and a few others. So far, I have been happy with it.

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/product ... n-backpack

Tortuga Backpacks also makes a collapsable daypack. You can stuff it in the Air and then use it on day trips at your destination.

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/product ... le-daypack

canderson
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by canderson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 pm

We are HUGE fans of the eBags Motherlode backpacks. They check all your boxes and are inexpensive.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... ble/143101

blueman457
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by blueman457 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:24 pm

I have both the Osprey Porter and Daylite and it's my go to luggage for traveling. The porter can hold enough basic clothing for a 2 week trip with a mid-trip laundry. I've never had an issue yet with bringing it on as a carry-on and it compresses well into the overhead bins. I haven't used packing cubes with it yet, but will probably do so in the future.

The daylite attachment is useful for day trips to hold maps, camera, water, etc. The only downside is that when I attach it to the porter, it makes it a bit deep so that navigating through crowds at the airport/etc.. is a little unwieldy. But overall, the combination of the two packs is great.

JimInIllinois
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:55 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by JimInIllinois » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:38 pm

I've been pretty happy with the Rick Steves Convertible Carry-On Backpack:
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by dbr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:53 pm

rjbraun wrote:
EvelynM wrote:I've used PacSafe products for years and highly recommend them. Not sure if they have exactly what you're describing, but here is their website:

http://www.pacsafe.com/backpacks-and-travel-bags.html
Thank you. If possible, would you say that your strong recommendation stems from the anti-theft features primarily or from the functionality and ease-of-use aspects as well? At this point, my decision will be more driven by general design considerations. Of course, I don't want to have anything stolen, but I try to minimize the valuables I bring on a trip. To the extent I must carry money, passport, etc. I keep them on me and inaccessible to others.
The pacsafe products I have are outstanding from the point of view of design, use, and durability. In fact for my daily backpack, book bag, computer carrier I would choose the pacsafe I have no matter what it has to with theft protection. You still have to decide that the specific designs available most suit you personally.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 pm

For regular travel by air, train or bus, I use MEI Voyager which can be carried as a duffle bag or as a backpack. Depending on the duration of my travel and other things I am bringing with me, I may put my regular daypack inside MEI Voyager.

On the Camino, I use Osprey Tempest 40 together with a hip pack (an English friend told me never ever to call it a fanny pack).

I also have an assortment of foldable nylon packs of various sizes and usually bring one of them with me.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 pm

blueman457 wrote:I have both the Osprey Porter and Daylite and it's my go to luggage for traveling. The porter can hold enough basic clothing for a 2 week trip with a mid-trip laundry. I've never had an issue yet with bringing it on as a carry-on and it compresses well into the overhead bins.
Which size Porter do you have -- the 46 liter or 30 liter?

clast
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by clast » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Instead of a detachable bag, I bought this $30 sea-to-summit daypack, which compresses down to the size of a racketball (maybe a bit smaller):

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ultra- ... 002ZHS6JS/

I keep it inside my main 28L backpack, and use it when I just need a daypack. You can probably also buy it at your local REI.

blueman457
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by blueman457 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:42 pm

rjbraun wrote:
blueman457 wrote:I have both the Osprey Porter and Daylite and it's my go to luggage for traveling. The porter can hold enough basic clothing for a 2 week trip with a mid-trip laundry. I've never had an issue yet with bringing it on as a carry-on and it compresses well into the overhead bins.
Which size Porter do you have -- the 46 liter or 30 liter?
I have the 46 liter (average male height, small frame) - it's the largest that would fit into an overhead bin.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:08 pm

blueman457 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
blueman457 wrote:I have both the Osprey Porter and Daylite and it's my go to luggage for traveling. The porter can hold enough basic clothing for a 2 week trip with a mid-trip laundry. I've never had an issue yet with bringing it on as a carry-on and it compresses well into the overhead bins.
Which size Porter do you have -- the 46 liter or 30 liter?
I have the 46 liter (average male height, small frame) - it's the largest that would fit into an overhead bin.
The 46 liter may be the more practical bag for me to get, but I'm wondering if I can make the 30 liter work for my needs. I guess by having the smaller bag capacity I'm trying to make myself pack light. I just don't know if I'm deluding myself and will end up either not using the bag or will be required to carry another bag or two to compensate. Also, not to sound like a broken record but international carriers are really adhering to weight limits with carry-ons. Emirates only allows 7 kg (~15 lb) for coach passengers. I'm not sure that I could even stay within that range with the 30 liter, forget the 46 liter.

It's also probably not realistic for me to think that I can pack for a 2-week trip with a mid-trip laundry, in a Porter 30 if you use a bag over 50% larger. I guess that was where I was hoping I could make the Porter 30 plus the Daylite be the equivalent of one Porter 46.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/plan ... rules.aspx

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:34 pm

canderson wrote:We are HUGE fans of the eBags Motherlode backpacks. They check all your boxes and are inexpensive.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... ble/143101
Thank you. I will need to revisit that ebags website. They have a lot of products. I bought their packing cubes during an Amazon Lightning sale and was impressed with the quality.

From what I can tell, the eBags Motherlode backpacks don't come with a padded belt, which I feel I really need if I'm going to carry the load comfortably. You are right, though, the prices are excellent. In fact, not sure if it's a Black Friday promo or what, but the Motherlode appears to be an amazing 50% off ($200 to now $99, so a tad more than 50% off) -- plus I thought I saw a 20% discount on all orders right now. I didn't scrutinize things, but if anyone is contemplating an eBags order, now may be the time to buy! :greedy

canderson
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by canderson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 pm

rjbraun wrote:
canderson wrote:We are HUGE fans of the eBags Motherlode backpacks. They check all your boxes and are inexpensive.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... ble/143101
Thank you. I will need to revisit that ebags website. They have a lot of products. I bought their packing cubes during an Amazon Lightning sale and was impressed with the quality.

From what I can tell, the eBags Motherlode backpacks don't come with a padded belt, which I feel I really need if I'm going to carry the load comfortably. You are right, though, the prices are excellent. In fact, not sure if it's a Black Friday promo or what, but the Motherlode appears to be an amazing 50% off ($200 to now $99, so a tad more than 50% off) -- plus I thought I saw a 20% discount on all orders right now. I didn't scrutinize things, but if anyone is contemplating an eBags order, now may be the time to buy! :greedy
No padded best bit their strap is not terrible. You could easily sea it out with a padded one of think. :)

daveatca
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Eagle Creek

Post by daveatca » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 pm

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/deviate-trav ... 415_cl_712

I have an older version of something similar to this.
Wonderful.

hoopy
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by hoopy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:17 am

I have an older version of the Eagle Creek as well, I'm happy with it. Mine is a 45 Liter set (35+10).

Perhaps you could go to an REI, if you have one near you, and try some of these?
http://www.rei.com/c/travel-packs?r=cat ... avel-packs

EvelynM
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by EvelynM » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 am

dbr wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
EvelynM wrote:I've used PacSafe products for years and highly recommend them. Not sure if they have exactly what you're describing, but here is their website:

http://www.pacsafe.com/backpacks-and-travel-bags.html
Thank you. If possible, would you say that your strong recommendation stems from the anti-theft features primarily or from the functionality and ease-of-use aspects as well? At this point, my decision will be more driven by general design considerations. Of course, I don't want to have anything stolen, but I try to minimize the valuables I bring on a trip. To the extent I must carry money, passport, etc. I keep them on me and inaccessible to others.
The pacsafe products I have are outstanding from the point of view of design, use, and durability. In fact for my daily backpack, book bag, computer carrier I would choose the pacsafe I have no matter what it has to with theft protection. You still have to decide that the specific designs available most suit you personally.
I agree with dbr - I choose PacSafe products not only for the anti-theft features, but also for design, use, and durability. I have several sizes of purses (I love the Slingsafe bags), camera bags, wallets (I love this one with the chain because I am always so fearful of leaving my wallet somewhere: http://www.pacsafe.com/rfidsafe-z100-rf ... allet.html), carryon luggage, and the Ultimatesafe 32L (http://www.pacsafe.com/ultimatesafe-32l ... kpack.html) that has been such a pleasure to use. I'm 5'1" and it's a bit large, but the features are invaluable to me, especially the removable safe which I used every day in my hotel room in Costa Rica to store my laptop, camera lenses, passport, etc., and locked it to the plumbing, and I use the safe at home as well.
Last edited by EvelynM on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volkdancer
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by Volkdancer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:35 pm

I am entering month four of an extended out of USA trip and have been comfortable with my Osprey Porter 46 plus a collapsible Marmot Kompacter, after taking out the Kompacter's foam. I use the latter as my daypack, even on the trek (horses carried the bulky stuff). In the beginning of the trip I was able to include the gear needed for a trek in the mountains of Ladakh. I sent that home after the trek and I now have more than adequate room for what is (not) needed in the tropics. One of the reasons why this works for me is I have reduced clothing to wear one, take one, all synthetics, except for wool socks. So far I have been through eight emigration/immigrations, and twelve flights, on six airlines, and have had zero problems as carry on luggage.
Karl V

halfnine
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by halfnine » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Backpacks with removable daypacks don't carry very well and the daypacks themselves are often ill-sized. It's better just to get a backpack that is sized for what you need and then get a small, light, compressible daypack that you can put inside the backpack (most of the time) or carry on the front if you need the extra space.

I do travel with a carry-on size travel pack. But, whether it comes on the plane with me or is checked really doesn't matter to me. The plane trip isn't the big deal. I use a carry on size so that it can go on the bus with me, go inside the taxi with me, etc. This eliminates many of the problems I have had over the years with the bag walking off, being pilfered, thrashed, or held hostage by taxi drivers.

newuser123
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by newuser123 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:36 pm

How about this at Ikea ?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40241130/

I came across this when I was shopping at Ikea last time. I am not sure about the reviews of it though.

Woodshark
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by Woodshark » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:29 pm

canderson wrote:We are HUGE fans of the eBags Motherlode backpacks. They check all your boxes and are inexpensive.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... ble/143101
Another vote for the eBag. It has won awards, gets great reviews and is now my go-to bag for any travel. Plus they are on sale.

brajalle
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by brajalle » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:38 am

Another vote for Eagle Creek.

Some of their lines have lifetime warranties.

I have one of their carry-on's that has backpack straps and a detachable backpack. It's all I use for travel.

frisbee
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by frisbee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Woodshark wrote:
canderson wrote:We are HUGE fans of the eBags Motherlode backpacks. They check all your boxes and are inexpensive.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... ble/143101
Another vote for the eBag. It has won awards, gets great reviews and is now my go-to bag for any travel. Plus they are on sale.
Just bought the ebags motherload for $70. I've owned 6+ packs in my life (hiked 7000+ miles), but never a travel pack - got tired of rummaging through my topload packs to find my business cloths, and I figured the money is well spent based on the huge quantity of positive reviews and videos.

User avatar
RyeWhiskey
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by RyeWhiskey » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:14 pm

The problem with "convertible" backpacks is the sacrifice that is necessitated by combining what would be two separate bags. Instead of a comfortable and light-weight pack for day-use, you have a bigger pack. Instead of a simple large pack for gear hauling, you have a smaller pack meant to be carried around all day.
For this simple reason I advise a two-in-one packing method:
Get the largest Patagonia Black Hole Duffel (it can be worn as a backpack as well, but the straps tuck away when not needed; and, unlike the others you mentioned, this is largely waterproof) that will fit in the overhead and carry a very small day pack (check out Osprey's "everyday packs") with valuables, etc.
When you're on the plane you can keep the pack with you and the duffel stowed. When you're traveling you can either pack it all into the duffel or keep the pack on the front and duffel on the back. When you're checked into your place of lodging, leave the duffel with all your clothes, etc, and carry the easy day pack.

I have found this to be vastly easier for traveling than an all-in-one pack. Also, those duffels are tough as nails. :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Phil1234 wrote:I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for, but if you're considering the Porter 30, you might want to check out the Tortuga Air. I purchased the Tortuga Air a few months ago after considering the Porter 30, a few Tom Bihn models, and a few others. So far, I have been happy with it.

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/product ... n-backpack

Tortuga Backpacks also makes a collapsable daypack. You can stuff it in the Air and then use it on day trips at your destination.

http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/product ... le-daypack
Thanks. The Tortuga Air doesn't seem to have a hip belt. The website seems to say that a belt is unnecessary because the shoulder straps are adequate for the lighter loads the Air is designed for. Apparently, the Tortuga (I think) is designed for heavier loads and comes with a hip belt.

I think I really need a hip belt to distribute the load, based on past experience. But just out of curiosity, do you have an idea of how much weight you pack in your bag? And, I guess you find the shoulder straps adequate so that you really don't need a hip belt.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Eagle Creek

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 pm

daveatca wrote:http://shop.eaglecreek.com/deviate-trav ... 415_cl_712

I have an older version of something similar to this.
Wonderful.
Interesting bag, thanks. I like the add-on bag feature and the hip belt looks nice and substantial. But the dimensions appear to exceed the current carry-on standards (45", I think?). Also, I am interested in "convertible straps" that can be stowed to make the bag less backpack-ish looking.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 pm

hoopy wrote:I have an older version of the Eagle Creek as well, I'm happy with it. Mine is a 45 Liter set (35+10).

Perhaps you could go to an REI, if you have one near you, and try some of these?
http://www.rei.com/c/travel-packs?r=cat ... avel-packs
Thanks. Yup, I've visited REI, that's kind of how I got the Porter 30 idea, though I'm still struggling to figure out the right bag situation. :confused

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Volkdancer wrote:I am entering month four of an extended out of USA trip and have been comfortable with my Osprey Porter 46 plus a collapsible Marmot Kompacter, after taking out the Kompacter's foam. I use the latter as my daypack, even on the trek (horses carried the bulky stuff). In the beginning of the trip I was able to include the gear needed for a trek in the mountains of Ladakh. I sent that home after the trek and I now have more than adequate room for what is (not) needed in the tropics. One of the reasons why this works for me is I have reduced clothing to wear one, take one, all synthetics, except for wool socks. So far I have been through eight emigration/immigrations, and twelve flights, on six airlines, and have had zero problems as carry on luggage.
Karl V
Wow. Sound like you're having an amazing trip! The Osprey Porter 30 I ordered from REI just arrived in the mail today. I'm still undecided about the bag. I think the Porter 46 might be a bit too big for me, plus I'm concerned that the size dimensions may be on the cusp for some international carriers I've encountered in my travels, especially if the bag is packed full. But, that makes sense that your reduced load would make the bag possible to carry-on with you.

Enjoy your travels! :)

bluebirdy
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by bluebirdy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:24 pm

I own and use the ultralight Osprey Exos (48 or 58L depending on capacity you want): http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/hiking/exos_48

And then throw in an ultralight daypack that folds up to the size of a deck of cards: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/alp ... stuff_pack

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:29 pm

halfnine wrote:Backpacks with removable daypacks don't carry very well and the daypacks themselves are often ill-sized. It's better just to get a backpack that is sized for what you need and then get a small, light, compressible daypack that you can put inside the backpack (most of the time) or carry on the front if you need the extra space.

I do travel with a carry-on size travel pack. But, whether it comes on the plane with me or is checked really doesn't matter to me. The plane trip isn't the big deal. I use a carry on size so that it can go on the bus with me, go inside the taxi with me, etc. This eliminates many of the problems I have had over the years with the bag walking off, being pilfered, thrashed, or held hostage by taxi drivers.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to ask in my post. So, I take it that the weight balance of a backpack with a removable daypack is thrown off with the add-on bag, and this makes it hard to carry.

I agree, I want to keep the bag with me on a bus, etc., but in my case I also want to take the bag on the plane, just to avoid the wait at the luggage carousel, risk of the bag being lost, etc. That said, with international carriers' limiting carry-on weight to 18 lbs or whatever, it's getting tough to do.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:31 pm

newuser123 wrote:How about this at Ikea ?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40241130/

I came across this when I was shopping at Ikea last time. I am not sure about the reviews of it though.
Cute bag. It doesn't seem big enough or substantial enough for a longish trip, though.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:43 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote:The problem with "convertible" backpacks is the sacrifice that is necessitated by combining what would be two separate bags. Instead of a comfortable and light-weight pack for day-use, you have a bigger pack. Instead of a simple large pack for gear hauling, you have a smaller pack meant to be carried around all day.
For this simple reason I advise a two-in-one packing method:
Get the largest Patagonia Black Hole Duffel (it can be worn as a backpack as well, but the straps tuck away when not needed; and, unlike the others you mentioned, this is largely waterproof) that will fit in the overhead and carry a very small day pack (check out Osprey's "everyday packs") with valuables, etc.
When you're on the plane you can keep the pack with you and the duffel stowed. When you're traveling you can either pack it all into the duffel or keep the pack on the front and duffel on the back. When you're checked into your place of lodging, leave the duffel with all your clothes, etc, and carry the easy day pack.

I have found this to be vastly easier for traveling than an all-in-one pack. Also, those duffels are tough as nails. :beer
Interesting idea. What size Patagonia Black Hole Duffel do you have? I would have thought 45L would be the right size, but Patagonia makes it seem like this is for weekend trips or something. I have a largish, heavy nylon duffel. I like it, but I find that all my stuff just gets tossed around inside. I'm wondering if packing cubes would help to keep things better organized.

Okay, I guess the backpack straps only come with the 60L size or larger, but those bags seems to exceed the maximum carry-on dimensions allowed. :x

But, you say that you stow the Black Hole in the overhead. Was that a 60L bag on a recent international flight? Actually, you said to get the largest Black Hole. That seems like it's 120L. That sounds huge!

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:46 pm

VictoriaF wrote:For regular travel by air, train or bus, I use MEI Voyager which can be carried as a duffle bag or as a backpack. Depending on the duration of my travel and other things I am bringing with me, I may put my regular daypack inside MEI Voyager.
Victoria
Thanks, Victoria. I keep looking at the website trying to "visualize" the MEI Voyager in use. I take it that they aren't available for viewing at a store or anything. Did you buy yours "sight unseen" or perhaps you had a chance to look at someone else's before you took the plunge?

Norsky19
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:25 am

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by Norsky19 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:36 am

I love this company:

http://www.tombihn.com/

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:57 am

Norsky19 wrote:I love this company:

http://www.tombihn.com/
Thanks. I think I first heard about the company on this forum, and everyone seems to have positive reviews. I do like that they seem to offer a hip-belt option. Ugh, on closer inspection it seems that the belt is, well, just a belt; there's no padding. Disappointing. Unfortunately, I think that needs to be a deal-breaker for me. That's really too bad, the Aeronaut 30 looks like a very nice bag, albeit pricey.

I wish I could inspect a bag in person. :(

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:21 pm

rjbraun wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:For regular travel by air, train or bus, I use MEI Voyager which can be carried as a duffle bag or as a backpack. Depending on the duration of my travel and other things I am bringing with me, I may put my regular daypack inside MEI Voyager.
Victoria
Thanks, Victoria. I keep looking at the website trying to "visualize" the MEI Voyager in use. I take it that they aren't available for viewing at a store or anything. Did you buy yours "sight unseen" or perhaps you had a chance to look at someone else's before you took the plunge?
I bought it "sight unseen," and now I am very happy that I did, it became my favorite bag:
- It does not have wheels which makes it much lighter than other suitcases.
- It's easy to carry as a backpack: the shoulder straps and the hip belt are very comfortable.
- When I take it on a plane as a carry-on, I hide the shoulder straps and the hip belt inside. This way it looks like a duffel bag, and I am allowed to bring it in even when other passengers are requested to gate check their luggage.
- The contents is much easier to access than in a regular backpack.
- The bag is sturdy: the material and the zippers are strong and well made.

The bag's main drawback is that when I dress up for travel, I can't wear it as a backpack and, without wheels, have to carry it on my shoulder.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

halfnine
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by halfnine » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:46 pm

rjbraun wrote:
halfnine wrote:Backpacks with removable daypacks don't carry very well and the daypacks themselves are often ill-sized. It's better just to get a backpack that is sized for what you need and then get a small, light, compressible daypack that you can put inside the backpack (most of the time) or carry on the front if you need the extra space.

I do travel with a carry-on size travel pack. But, whether it comes on the plane with me or is checked really doesn't matter to me. The plane trip isn't the big deal. I use a carry on size so that it can go on the bus with me, go inside the taxi with me, etc. This eliminates many of the problems I have had over the years with the bag walking off, being pilfered, thrashed, or held hostage by taxi drivers.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to ask in my post. So, I take it that the weight balance of a backpack with a removable daypack is thrown off with the add-on bag, and this makes it hard to carry......
The added bag just shifts the weight and balance of the of the bag further out. I actually own a travel backpack (Jansport Bhutan circa the 90s) that I still use up to now that has this feature. I got it because I really liked the design and dimensions of the bag sans the daypack which I just tossed.

As far as duffel bags, I use a North Face duffel bag (also circa the 90s) that is similar to the Patagonia one mentioned. It's suitable for many things but most people really wouldn't want one for a travel pack. I use it in lieu of a suitcase for moving countries. Or for hauling gear to a country where I'll be traveling by car and camping.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:For regular travel by air, train or bus, I use MEI Voyager which can be carried as a duffle bag or as a backpack. Depending on the duration of my travel and other things I am bringing with me, I may put my regular daypack inside MEI Voyager.
Victoria
Thanks, Victoria. I keep looking at the website trying to "visualize" the MEI Voyager in use. I take it that they aren't available for viewing at a store or anything. Did you buy yours "sight unseen" or perhaps you had a chance to look at someone else's before you took the plunge?
I bought it "sight unseen," and now I am very happy that I did, it became my favorite bag:
- It does not have wheels which makes it much lighter than other suitcases.
- It's easy to carry as a backpack: the shoulder straps and the hip belt are very comfortable.
- When I take it on a plane as a carry-on, I hide the shoulder straps and the hip belt inside. This way it looks like a duffel bag, and I am allowed to bring it in even when other passengers are requested to gate check their luggage.
- The contents is much easier to access than in a regular backpack.
- The bag is sturdy: the material and the zippers are strong and well made.

The bag's main drawback is that when I dress up for travel, I can't wear it as a backpack and, without wheels, have to carry it on my shoulder.

Victoria
The shoulder straps and hip belt do look substantial in the photograph. I'm glad to hear that they are very comfortable.

Where are the two aluminum stays located? I assume that they run along the same side of the bag as the shoulder straps, is that right? In that case, do the stays kind of "fix" the length of the bag, even when empty? I'm just concerned about a carrier taking potential issue with length, in the event they continue to reduce the permissible carry-on baggage dimensions.

When you carry the bag on your shoulder, do you just rest the handle of the bag on your shoulder (that looks kind of uncomfortable ..?)? Or does the bag come with a shoulder strap (or do you use your own strap) that can be attached to the bag?

3.5 lbs is a bit more than I was hoping to get, but I guess the stays add to the weight, plus the relatively large bag size.

rjbraun
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by rjbraun » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:33 pm

halfnine wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
halfnine wrote:Backpacks with removable daypacks don't carry very well and the daypacks themselves are often ill-sized. It's better just to get a backpack that is sized for what you need and then get a small, light, compressible daypack that you can put inside the backpack (most of the time) or carry on the front if you need the extra space.

I do travel with a carry-on size travel pack. But, whether it comes on the plane with me or is checked really doesn't matter to me. The plane trip isn't the big deal. I use a carry on size so that it can go on the bus with me, go inside the taxi with me, etc. This eliminates many of the problems I have had over the years with the bag walking off, being pilfered, thrashed, or held hostage by taxi drivers.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to ask in my post. So, I take it that the weight balance of a backpack with a removable daypack is thrown off with the add-on bag, and this makes it hard to carry......
The added bag just shifts the weight and balance of the of the bag further out. I actually own a travel backpack (Jansport Bhutan circa the 90s) that I still use up to now that has this feature. I got it because I really liked the design and dimensions of the bag sans the daypack which I just tossed.

As far as duffel bags, I use a North Face duffel bag (also circa the 90s) that is similar to the Patagonia one mentioned. It's suitable for many things but most people really wouldn't want one for a travel pack. I use it in lieu of a suitcase for moving countries. Or for hauling gear to a country where I'll be traveling by car and camping.
Thank you. I guess I was kind of hoping that the smaller Osprey Porter 30 would be a low enough profile even with the occasional addition of the companion Daylite bag. I guess I just need to load both up to see.

Yeah, my duffel folds up and can be packed away, even though it does take up some room. But, I find it helpful for carting clothes on laundry day.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:49 pm

rjbraun wrote:The shoulder straps and hip belt do look substantial in the photograph. I'm glad to hear that they are very comfortable.

Where are the two aluminum stays located? I assume that they run along the same side of the bag as the shoulder straps, is that right? In that case, do the stays kind of "fix" the length of the bag, even when empty? I'm just concerned about a carrier taking potential issue with length, in the event they continue to reduce the permissible carry-on baggage dimensions.

When you carry the bag on your shoulder, do you just rest the handle of the bag on your shoulder (that looks kind of uncomfortable ..?)? Or does the bag come with a shoulder strap (or do you use your own strap) that can be attached to the bag?

3.5 lbs is a bit more than I was hoping to get, but I guess the stays add to the weight, plus the relatively large bag size.
The aluminum stays are parallel to the longer side of the bag, and you suggested, they provide a hard limit on the bag's length. So far I have not had a problem with carrying it on the plane due to its size. On some flights, they stop allowing any carry on luggage when overhead compartments are full. And even in such cases, they usually allow me to take my bag. (I pull the padded shoulder straps and the hip belt in to make it look less conspicuous.)

The bag came with a shoulder strap, which is OK. I also purchased shoulder straps for other bags and may have switched them around.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

hoopy
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Travel backpacks with removable backpack option

Post by hoopy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:20 am

rjbraun wrote: Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to ask in my post. So, I take it that the weight balance of a backpack with a removable daypack is thrown off with the add-on bag, and this makes it hard to carry.
While I have a backpack+daypack set, I rarely attached the daypack to the backpack. I traveled for about 18 months a few years ago, living out of my pack. When fully loaded, I wore the daypack in front of me, and the backpack on my back. This eliminated the balance issue, and also let me keep my daypack secure. I had my laptop, passport etc in it.

Also, most of the time my backpack was at a hostel. I only ever had to carry both packs when on my way to/from bus stations, airports, etc. I was surprised at how little I actually carried the big pack around.

You should consider your actual use cases when selecting a pack.

Post Reply