How do you view family photos?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
texasdiver

How do you view family photos?

Post by texasdiver » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 am

I expect that like many here of a certain age I grew up during a time in which my father would take lots of family photos on Kodachrome slides which he would carefully sort and store in Kodak carousels. Every so often we would have a family photo night and out would come the Kodak projector and screen and we would sit around the living room with popcorn enjoying family photos of when we were little.

Today my wife and I have thousands and thousands of digital photos stored on our various computers and phones. But we never really ever look at them anymore. Especially not on a big screen with the whole family. It is just a big pain to sort photos and put them on a flash drive or something to see on the big TV.

Any of you still do family photo nights and look at your family and vacation photos on the big screen? If so, how do you do it?

oxothuk

Re: How do you view family photos?

Post by oxothuk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 am

I have my photos in "smart albums" in an Aperture Library on my Mac (have not converted to Photos yet).

I then have an AppleTV attached to our main TV, and with that I can choose what album we want to look at.

Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 am

We have an NAS (Synology 1315+ [1]), which communicates with our Sony Blu-Ray player; we are able to stream photos, videos, and music to our media system if we wish.

For photos that we wish to share (such as a anniversary trip) we might burn a DVD with the photos. Usually we'll edit the photos to a lower resolution that is better suited for the TV. Like the project days of yore, we'll pop in the DVD into a player, run the slide show, and then talk with our friends and family as the slide show plays.

[1] And a good backup plan as well.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 am

oxothuk wrote:I have my photos in "smart albums" in an Aperture Library on my Mac (have not converted to Photos yet).

I then have an AppleTV attached to our main TV, and with that I can choose what album we want to look at.
We have an iMac in the office and an Apple TV in the living room that only gets used for Netflix. Can I control the iMac from the Apple TV? That would seem to be the obvious solution. I should probably read the manual. I never tried it before.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 am

Not exactly what you are asking, but:

I create a "Screensaver" folder and place selected family photos, photos from vacations, etc in it. Then I set that as the background on my PC (located in an area everyone in the family sees nearly every day) and set it to cycle a new photo every 10 seconds. I add new photos to the folder "as necessary" whenever I download photos from my wife's camera to the PC.

Other than that, we seldom view any photos except soon after they are taken. But like the old pictures, 35 mm slides, and 8mm movies, maybe one day ...

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:52 am

texasdiver wrote: We have an iMac in the office and an Apple TV in the living room that only gets used for Netflix. Can I control the iMac from the Apple TV? That would seem to be the obvious solution. I should probably read the manual. I never tried it before.
I believe that can work also if your iMac is new enough. We used that approach to show some photos from my SIL's MacBook when he was here visiting.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

We use a screen saver for our computer that we set up in the kitchen that has all kinds of old pictures that it scans through. Many times when the family comes over we end up looking through those pictures and enjoy remembering old times. The key is the computer is just there and set up so people see the shots.

We also have one of those electronic picture frames that is loaded with a special set of new and old pictures we made for my father in law. That frame is always set up on our family room table. They are old shots of my grandparents and pictures of my kids when they were young and lots of old but goodie shots. Everyone always asks about some shot in that group.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 pm

No way would I ever view "thousands and thousands' of pictures. I guess this means I also wouldn't take the time to go through them all to weed out the unnecessary ones either. :oops:

So I wonder, why keep them all? Do you actually believe you will go through thousands and thousands looking for that specific one you remember from Aunt Millie's 2001 Thanksgiving dinner?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Our TV has internet, so we just look at our photos on the internet. The good photos are online somewhere.

Also, we have photo albums laying around. Yes, real hardcopy photos in a small book. Rather than a big book, there is a book per vacation which has only the good photos from that vacation. I edit the photos and print them out myself.

Other than that, photos are texted and put on Instagram for instant gratification.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 pm

livesoft wrote:Our TV has internet, so we just look at our photos on the internet. The good photos are online somewhere.

Also, we have photo albums laying around. Yes, real hardcopy photos in a small book. Rather than a big book, there is a book per vacation which has only the good photos from that vacation. I edit the photos and print them out myself.

Other than that, photos are texted and put on Instagram for instant gratification.
We do the same thing basically. We have a family photo stream to which the grandparents and uncle are subscribed and post to it frequently for instant gratification and to keep the family on other continents up to date with the grandkids. But we never really look at old photos ever. I'd like to go through and do a major cull and keep about 100 per year and put them to to albums that are easily viewed on the big screen. Then we might actually look at them from time to time. Make it an occasional family event for fun like in the old days.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:03 pm

I know some folks send family Christmas letters with embedded photos. One could create a book with each year as a separate chapter with these thing. I am one who likes these holiday letters as most of the ones we get are hilarious and certainly composed tongue-in-cheek. Imagine 40 years of such letters from the same family. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 pm

About 15 years or so ago I scanned all the family photographs and slides to digital. Have not viewed them in awhile but they are on a hard drive in a family tree type order. FWIW, I have a few as far back as the late 1890's. They are also on Picasa online and several backups including one in a safe.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 pm

My wife makes photobooks (on Shutterfly) for each year. She sorts through our pictures from the year (something she loves doing; those kinds of memories mean a lot to her), uploads her choices to their service, and then gives me a few days to review them. Once the book is printed and in our hands we probably won't look at the pictures that didn't make it. We may revisit a certain event to make a book for a family member or friend as a momento, but most of the pictures will probably end up in the digital wastebin of time. Everything is stored on Microsoft's OneDrive, and we periodically backup to a hard drive.

Neither of us grew up with "family photo nights" or anything of the sort, so that is a pastime that won't be handed on to our kids. We have tried to be conscious in the last couple of years of "taking a photo vs living in the moment", especially with the birth of our little girl. However, photos are a vital link to the past in our family so the printed variety have a very high value in our lives. Hence, if you come to our house you'll see tons of pictures hanging up.

I hope this rambling adds something to the conversation...

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:33 pm

We make and share hard copies....
DW and adult daughters create an annual "family calendar" from the previous year's snapshots and a few oldies (12 collages). Always seems to be a hit. We also make and give photo books for special occasions, vacations, or to satisfy a creative whim. DW also has the screen saver photo collection. I guess we help keep those photo sites in business :).

We have not carried on the "slide night" tradition either. Nothing structured, but our grandchildren do like looking at old photos on the screen so sometimes she just hooks up the PC to the TV and run through a few until they are bored. It's good family story time.

Basically, digital versions are kept as "back-up". Unfortunately, I'm not good at deleting the outtakes. So lots of saved, but unused photos here too.

jchef

Post by jchef » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:48 pm

If you are willing to upload them to Google, using a Chromecast to view them on your TV is quite handy. You can use the Google Photos app on Android or iOS to cast sideshows of choosen albums to your TV.

As well, the Chromecast has the option to randomly cycle through all of your photos as the background image when you aren't doing anything else. So when you aren't using the TV for anything else, you can just switch to the Chromecast and see a random slideshow of all of your photos.

boo-yah

Post by boo-yah » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:12 pm

We have one of those digital frames from Kodak with photos on a flash drive. It's a little work, but I've gone through our chronologically ordered photos and made smaller copies of everything using a mass export and resize function in Picasa so they don't take up so much space. Low resolution is fine on a small frame anyways, and I still have the big originals. Our flash drive now has over 11,000 of these small photos on it going back to when our kids were very small and very cute (we went digital in 2003). The frame sits on our kitchen counter and is set to show a random photo every minute. It is quite the conversation piece for us.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:23 pm

I have everything archived via Adobe Lightroom and stored on external hard drive and DVDs in separate locations. Am starting to use free Amazon cloud service with Prime for additional storage location.

As for thousands and thousands of photos...yes...I feel that pain. I make a concerted effort to offload our mobile devices and main camera at the end of each month. I sort through and delete the mostly 'non-keepers'... then have my wife pick out her 10-20 favorites of that month (sometimes more, sometimes less). I'll do basic touch ups in Lightroom, then off to the archive they go. We do yearly print albums for the grandparents, but have not done a digital photo show on TV or anything, though it would be easy to load the albums on.

I enjoy doing it and view the time as memory making.

Best,
Sleepy

mikepru

Post by mikepru » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:38 pm

We use a Pixstar digital photo frame. It's located at the busy crossroads of family room and kitchen, and the pictures do remind us of great times. The nice thing about Pixstar is that you can email pix to your frame's email address and they show up. Pretty cool!

GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 am

Google photos (free, awesome) + Chromecast $35 and we look at them on tv

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:53 am

I'm admittedly obsessive compulsive when it comes to family photos. I have tens of thousands spanning 15 years or so, all meticulously organized by year and event within Google Drive.

Although they're all replicated from my hard drive to the Google Cloud, my new year's resolution is to get a 2 TB hard drive, back them all up to it, and store this in a safe deposit box as an additional layer against loss. I'd die if something happened to them.

As for viewing, it's really just my wife and I for the most part at this point since our son is only 19 months old, but whenever we want to view them, we typically just use our phones since we both have the Google Drive app. When family comes over, I'll chromecast my phone to my 60" HDTV. Works wonderfully. I also grant extended family access to certain directories so they can view photos we choose to share with them.

I also find myself using Picasa a lot when I'm in front of my computer. This is actually my preferred method for viewing them.

Once in a blue moon, we'll create a photo book using one of the many web-based services that specialize in that. I find that takes A LOT OF TIME to get it the way I want and their interfaces are usually pretty clunky, but they do make nice gifts if you can set aside the time needed.

As an aside, I'm the biggest Google fanboy you'll ever meet, but I absolutely LOATHE their Google Photos app. It's WAY too limited on organizational capabilities and I don't trust it to auto-index the way I want it done, hence the reason I keep everything organized manually.

dowse

Post by dowse » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:44 pm

A couple of other posters have mentioned digital photo frames. My wife has complained about our digital photos being "trapped" inside the computer, never to be seen again. This has been somewhat addressed as we now have two digital frames and some favorites loaded onto the frames internal memory and/or flash drives. We set them to run continuous slide shows in random shuffle mode. It's a bit of work to make the folders of just some favorites (we have a 1T external hard drive that is almost full and contains over 60K photos), but worth it. We really enjoy having the frames playing slide shows as we go about our daily activities around the house. We often pause and take a look at a favorite shot and it brings back a pleasant memory. We are planning to start making up flash drives with different trips or topics and swap them out occassionally.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:19 pm

We used to watch slides with a projector when I was growing up. Always fun.

We actually still print off the best of the photos and make actual physical photo albums of them. Quaint, isn't it?

joebh

Post by joebh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:15 pm

I use Picasa to store, edit, and print photos.
I back them up to Amazon Cloud Drive, and view them on Fire TV.