Best TV to buy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

Best TV to buy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Looks like I have to buy a tv, but know nothing about them.

My wife and I do basic cable, video tapes, and dvds.

Can people suggest a high value, low cost basic tv which is reliable and to which we can attach machines for vcr and dvds. And which we can use as a monitor off of her laptop for the internet. We enjoy different shows on the internet and would like to hook up our computer to it.

We are not looking for anything high end, but something reliable and mid-range, as with a Camry or Accord or Altima.

Many thanks.

retiredjg

Re: Best TV to buy

Post by retiredjg » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:29 pm

I like Samsung Smart LED TV.

I am not a high end TV person. Sounds like you aren't either. I do suggest getting a Smart TV (receives internet). It's a nice touch and doesn't cost much and is much easier than hooking up your computer each time you want internet on the TV.

Best Buy has a good selection as does Amazon. Seems like I've seen them at Walmart too. You can get a perfectly fine TV for $250 to $500. Or you can go higher end if you want.

The selection can be dizzying but it is just different sizes plus and minus Smart internet reception and a couple of different resolutions. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C317

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:39 pm

I would choose from the available name brands (as opposed to off brands). Make sure you have the size you want and all the connections you need.

There are differences in color accuracy, etc. but it doesn't sound like you would care that much. TVs don't cost much these days so don't warrant much soul-searching.

> I like Samsung Smart LED TV.

There have been stories that Samsung smart TVs phone home with your viewing habits. Maybe check on this before buying.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11 ... ile-names/

Morthead

Post by Morthead » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:48 pm

retiredjg wrote:I like Samsung Smart LED TV.
+1
We did the "computer hooked to the tv" route for years. Recently upgraded to a Samsung smart tv. Very easy to set up and use.

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Value in TVs nowadays seems to be with Vizio. Check out CNET's David Katzmeier who tends to be a good reviewer on all things TV.

For pure picture quality, especially with Panasonic out of plasma business :annoyed , and if money is no object, LG OLED series currently wins the crown.
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:55 pm

I have a 55" Vizio Smart TV that I have been very happy with so far.

Big Worm

Post by Big Worm » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Vizio smart TV for sure.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:19 pm

I helped my aunt and uncle buy a 60" Samsung 1080P TV from best buy for about $849 recently. Every 5" down you save about $50-$75.

Stay away from curved, 4k, or 3d. Waste of money IMO. (and even if it's not....in a couple of years it'll be super cheap)

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

One thing to watch out for is that is is possible to get a TV that is too big for your viewing distance. Be sure to look into this if you are getting a TV that is more than about 42 inches. At some point bigger is not better.
CountryBoy wrote:My wife and I do basic cable, video tapes, and dvds.
If you are replacing an older tube style TV and this is your first flat screen TV then you may need to get a new cable box to get a good picture. The new TV's should be able to handle the old signal if you don't get a new cable box but you will need to play with the settings to see what works for you. Depending on how you set the menu there may be black bars on the TV because the picture formats are different, or it may "stretch" out the picture to make it fit which distorts the picture.

When looking at at TV take a hard look at the connectors to make sure that they have what you will need.

A lot of newer cables are call HDMI and sometimes they try to charge you way to much for them so don't get suckered into buying expensive HMDI cables at the store

You can get them for a couple of bucks here;\
http://www.monoprice.com/

stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:32 pm

We've been happy with our 40 inch Sony Bravia LCD smart TV in the living room as well as with an older 50 inch Toshiba plasma in the family room. I have a 32 inch Panasonic LCD in my office for streaming and games. Friends have Visio TVs and seem to like them. Be sure to buy the right size TV for your room. Check some guides online for advice.
Last edited by stevewolfe on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:33 pm

So we have a cable box but we will need a new cable box?

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm

How big? The Vizio E-Series represents the best value in 32-50 inch LED TVs this and last year. The E32 is only about $250. I got the E43 for $380. If you wait 3 months, you can take advantage of the "previous model year" sales after the Consumer Electronics Show in late January.

If you are concerned about shipping a TV, go to the nearest Best Buy or similar big box electronics store and have them price match Costco or Amazon.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:45 pm

I like my dumb Visio. In addition to HDMI and a USB port it supports connection of analog devices through composite and/or component plugs. You will need these if you intent to attach old analog DVD or VCR players. If you're not interest in playing VCR tapes a Blu Ray player would be great for playing both your old DVDs and new Blu Ray ones.
Last edited by cheese_breath on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:49 pm

CountryBoy wrote:So we have a cable box but we will need a new cable box?
If you're using an old TV your cable box probably doesn't support Hi Def. Ask your cable provider. They will probably replace your box and increase your monthly payments.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Watty wrote:One thing to watch out for is that is is possible to get a TV that is too big for your viewing distance.
Not anymore with the hi-res TVs. My spouse laughed when I got a big TV. Now that she has gotten used to it, she thinks it is too small. You know your TV is too big only when you have to knock down a wall to get it to fit in the room. Another plus is that you don't have to buy any wall decorations or artwork to put on the wall where the TV is located.

Besides how are you going to be able to read the fine print on all those Camry, Accord, and Altima ads without a humongous screen?
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Well our Toshiba tv screen is 27" on the diagonal and it is in our den. Since our house is small(2000 sq.ft.) and the den where it is placed is small, we can't really have too big a screen. We could maybe go to 30" but that is pushing it.
Last edited by CountryBoy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Go for a minimum of 65" in that situation then.

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:33 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Well our Toshiba tv screen is 27" on the diagonal and it is in our den. Since our house is small and the den where it is placed is small, we can't really have too big a screen. We could maybe go to 30" but that is pushing it.
Unless you can literally reach out and touch your TV from where you're sitting you're in danger of going way too small. Measure the distance from your eyes to the screen and try plugging that into a calculator like this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-to- ... lationship. I have a 42" that's six feet from my eyes and it's perfect.

Going with the wrong size will affect your enjoyment more than the choice of brand or model. They're all good these days.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:44 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Well our Toshiba tv screen is 27" on the diagonal and it is in our den. Since our house is small(2000 sq.ft.) and the den where it is placed is small, we can't really have too big a screen. We could maybe go to 30" but that is pushing it.
You are starting to talk about the size of modern day laptops and iPads now when you get down to 30". That's not a TV anymore. :)

segfault

Post by segfault » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:47 pm

I bought a 55" Insignia Roku TV a couple of weeks ago. You can get a great deal on a TV now, especially if you can live without 4k resolution.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Imperabo wrote:
CountryBoy wrote:Well our Toshiba tv screen is 27" on the diagonal and it is in our den. Since our house is small and the den where it is placed is small, we can't really have too big a screen. We could maybe go to 30" but that is pushing it.
Unless you can literally reach out and touch your TV from where you're sitting you're in danger of going way too small. Measure the distance from your eyes to the screen and try plugging that into a calculator like this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-to- ... lationship. I have a 42" that's six feet from my eyes and it's perfect.

Going with the wrong size will affect your enjoyment more than the choice of brand or model. They're all good these days.
I suggest visiting a Best Buy or other place with lots of TVs and see for yourself what you're willing to accept picture-wise. According to the charts I should sit about 6 feet from our 39 inch Visio. And I admit when I get that close the picture is unbelievable, like a fresh cleaned fish bowl. But I normally sit twice that far away and still find the picture more than acceptable for my tired old eyes, certainly much better than the previous analog TV.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:04 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Well our Toshiba tv screen is 27" on the diagonal and it is in our den. Since our house is small(2000 sq.ft.) and the den where it is placed is small, we can't really have too big a screen. We could maybe go to 30" but that is pushing it.
I have a 50" Panasonic is a small room. It is about 8 feet from where I sit. I don't think it is too big. I will probably get a 60" for my next one. Big is better as far as I am concerned.
Best Wishes, | Joe

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Well, we sit 8ft. from the screen and figure a 36" screen should do us fine.

LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:17 pm

segfault wrote:I bought a 55" Insignia Roku TV a couple of weeks ago. You can get a great deal on a TV now, especially if you can live without 4k resolution.
I'm considering to buy this exact TV model from Best Buy this Black Friday (hoping there would be a deal). It's a smart TV too. How do you like it so far?
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:36 pm

TVs last for apprx 10 years so it pays to buy close to latest technology rather than basic low dollar set. Best value for money long term is to buy a model that is near but not quite top of the line instead of bottom of the line. Get a 4k capable set because this technology will likely be widely a available in a few years. Rule of thumb on size is to get TV screen size that is apprx 1/2 the distance that your eyes will be from the screen. So if your eyes are 10 feet from screen (120 inches) and good size TV would be 60 inch. Check out major brands like Samsung, Sharp, LG, Visio. I like Costco for good TV at great prices.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 am

CountryBoy wrote:Well, we sit 8ft. from the screen and figure a 36" screen should do us fine.

For an 8ft viewing distance, the recommended size is 50-55 inch. TV's are amazingly cheap these days compared to where they were 30 years ago there's never reason to skimp unless you're a few inches away from the poorhouse. This TV would fit all your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U9U9336/?_e ... g-20&psc=1 50 inch with built-in wifi for only $550!

The only reason you'll need to get a new box is if your current one isn't an HD Box. Do you get hd channels right now?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:42 am

jabberwock wrote: Get a 4k capable set because this technology will likely be widely a available in a few years.

I am a bit skeptical of this. Do ya'll know that ABC and FOX still broadcast 720p? CBS and NBC are at 1080i but there would be a huge increase in bandwidth needed for 4k. Given that so many people are cord-cutting cable and satellite companies aren't going to be making this kind of investment.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

bobble

Post by bobble » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:53 am

denovo wrote:Given that so many people are cord-cutting cable and satellite companies aren't going to be making this kind of investment.
Don't mean to sidetrack the discussion but I view the current cable model be replaced with something like a Roku or PS4 or built into the TV itself that's always connected to the Internet. At that point why wouldn't resolution increases be more frequent? Roku4 supports Netflix in 4k.

Another vote for Samsung BTW. Worth the small premium in price.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:00 am

adamthesmythe wrote:I would choose from the available name brands (as opposed to off brands). Make sure you have the size you want and all the connections you need.

There are differences in color accuracy, etc. but it doesn't sound like you would care that much. TVs don't cost much these days so don't warrant much soul-searching.

> I like Samsung Smart LED TV.

There have been stories that Samsung smart TVs phone home with your viewing habits. Maybe check on this before buying.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11 ... ile-names/
Vizio sells your viewing habits to advertisers. There are quite a few articles about it online. Samsung was accused of it too, but they state they only track anonymous data for their quality control. I suppose they could say anything and it would be up to someone else to prove it.

I have an old Panasonic 55" plasma. I think it is going on 12 years old now. I'm going to cry when it gives up. It is shockingly heavy and throws off a lot of heat, but we still get compliments on the picture. We have Comcast HD and the picture is beautiful. It was such a difference between this picture and our old tube tv that I almost returned it. I kept getting motion sickness while watching it because it looked almost 3D to me then. I feel silly about it now. My daughter has a newer Samsung 1080p smart tv and there really isn't that much of a difference. Pictures like a cityscape or a tropical setting look sharper, but not so much that I would run out and buy a new tv. That doesn't mean that I don't WANT to run out and buy a new tv. I just don't feel that I have to.

RoC

Post by RoC » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:37 am

CountryBoy wrote:Well, we sit 8ft. from the screen and figure a 36" screen should do us fine.
TVs have a way of shrinking on you. I wouldn't go less than 42" at that distance, and if you went slightly larger you'd probably be fine too.

I'm about 8 feet away from the TV I got in my bedroom. I was going to buy a 42" that was one sale, but then a 40" TV was one sale on black Friday for a price too good to pass up, so I got the 40" TV. Within a few months I was thinking I should've gotten the 42" TV, or possibly gone even larger than that. At first it seems large, but you'll very quickly get used to it and then wish it was larger.

I don't think you need to go very large, but if I were to do it again, I would at least go with a 42" TV, and possibly a 48".

With black Friday coming up, do a search and see what's on sale. Like I said I picked up my 40" TV at a great price, and it was available on their website, so I didn't have to wake up early and fight the crowds at one of their stores.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:49 am

I have sat 10 feet away from my 43 for the past 6 months. Previously had a 42 for 6 years at the same distance. Never had the inclination to go bigger. OP may not need to follow the traditional size rules of thumb, which were likely coined by people who sell larger, more expensive TVs.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

RoC

Post by RoC » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:01 am

Check out Best Buy's Black Friday sale. They have a 40" insignia on sale for $160, and a 48" Insignia for $280. Both will be available for sale online so you don't have to fight the crowds, and the sale might start online on Thursday instead of Friday.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:10 am

We bought a Samsung 55" LED a couple of years ago and have been very satisfied. Decided not to get smart tv because of concerns about two way communication, so we use a Sony blu-ray player with wireless for streaming. Plenty smart.

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:14 am

goodlifer wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:
I have an old Panasonic 55" plasma. I think it is going on 12 years old now. I'm going to cry when it gives up. It is shockingly heavy and throws off a lot of heat, but we still get compliments on the picture.
:sharebeer

Agreed! Picked up one before discontinued. Night and day vs LCD/LED!
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

OldOne

Post by OldOne » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:42 am

If you have Costco account, sign in and look at Samsung TV's currently on sale through 11/30.
48-inch UN48J520DAFXZA on for $379.99 (down from $579.99).
55-inch UN55J620DAFXZA on for $549.99 (down from $799.99).
I think more Samsungs available on sale in other sizes. I walked into one Costco here Friday 11/20 and the 55-inch set (above) was marked down to $499.99. Went back with my truck Saturday to get one and price was up by $50 (they marked too low maybe?). One Costco here in town had stacks of Samsungs TV on the right just inside the front door - different sizes, all on sale. My other Costco had none at all on that sort of display display. Check Costco web site - sign in to get sale price.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:07 am

I sit about 10-12 ft away and have a 70 inch 4k TV. From 8 ft a 55 or 60 should be fine. 36 inch is way too small.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:16 am

Yep, 70 is the new 55.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 am

Samsung LED.
Walmart carries them.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

magicj

Post by magicj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:50 am

We install quite a few TV's for clients and always choose Samsung, Sharp, or Vizio. I feel Vizio is the best value for the money. I have had a 42" at our house for almost 5 years now that I bought refurbished. I had a 32" and a 37" before that both Vizio. Friends/family ask me why I haven't bought bigger, and I tell them it works fine for what we do. If you want a bigger TV just move your couch closer. Ha ha.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:08 am

Nearly all the new sets have the speakers facing either the back of the set or the bottom, so unless you don't mind the sound bouncing off the back wall or cabinet you might also want to consider external speakers or a sound bar. Even if you do happen to luck onto one with front facing speakers the external speakers / sound bar will give much better sound.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:04 am

Since they measure the size on the diagonal a couple of inches difference does not make a lot of difference in the actual height or width of the TV. Since the proportions are different than the old style TVs the 36" TV isn't all that tall so I would probably go up just a bit larger and look for a good deal in the 40 to 43 inch size range.

TV's are so good these days that for the average TV viewer the best brand name deal with the features you want will be fine. It is easy to get "analysis paralysis" when there are really very few bad choices as long as you buy a brand with a good reputation.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that the speakers that come the TV's are tiny and don't produce very good sound even on expensive TV's. If you have the budget for it you should consider eventually getting an inexpensive sound bar(speakers) to hook up to the TV, but you can wait and get that later if you want. An example of what I am talking about is;

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3820x-C6- ... 1248879011

The remotes works easier if it is that same brand as your TV. The length does not really matter except it might be a bit different than your TV and some people are picky about that.

Be sure to check on how long the warranty lasts since on some brands it can be pretty short. As I recall Costco extends the warranty for TV's but you would want to check on that. You may have credit cards that also extend the warranty so it would be good to buy it with one of those if you have one.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:28 am

When I bought my first HDTV about 3 years ago I did a little Internet search for information I should know in choosing one. I still have some of the sites bookmarked. If you're interested you might review these (note there is some redundant information)...

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televis ... dtvbyb.htm
http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_g ... k_for.html
http://www.techhive.com/article/183099/ ... tions.html
http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-pick-a-flat-screen-tv/
http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/buying-guide/
http://www.energystar.gov/products/elec ... roduct_tab
http://www.ehow.com/way_6166993_look-bu ... en-tv.html

It looks like the CNet page has been updated since then.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:52 am

Another thought just came to me. Get a set with at least three HDMI inputs... one for the cable box, one for your Blu-ray player (you'll get one eventually), and one for something else. I made the mistake of only considering the cable box and Blu-ray, but I soon discovered I wasn't satisfied watching my streaming sports events on my 17" laptop when I had a 39" HDTV screen available. After switching cables in and out for awhile each time I wanted to attach the computer I ended up buying an additional HDMI switch to increase my HDMI input count.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:53 am

OldOne wrote: I walked into one Costco here Friday 11/20 and the 55-inch set (above) was marked down to
In my Costco, this Sunday, I could see TVs stacked up near the onions and potatoes ! Almost every on most aisle / walk path

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:55 am

Last night I was at costco. They had a 70" HD (1080p) and 65" 4k side by side. I stand back about 6 feet, and if you really pay attention, and if there is a very high contrast image like a big text on plain background, you can see that 4k is better. That being said, our TV is about 10 feet away, so I really don't see the value of 4k.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:37 pm

You people are greatly appreciated; thank you.

I sense I am slipping into "analysis paralysis."

So much to learn.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:53 pm

i think tvs are like computers; never buy one today becasue tomorrow its gonna be cheaper and have more features.

my suggestion to the op -- since he needs one today -- is to go to costco (its worth buying a membership if you don't have one) check them all out and buy one. just do it.

one final thot - i bought my costco tv online so i wouldn't have to deal with getting it home. paid a few dollars for "white glove" delivery and i'll do it again. they deliver and set it up. the set is working when they leave.

one final (really) thot - no one ever says "i should have bought the smaller tv." buy as big as your budget allows.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Watty wrote:
Since they measure the size on the diagonal a couple of inches difference does not make a lot of difference in the actual height or width of the TV. Since the proportions are different than the old style TVs the 36" TV isn't all that tall so I would probably go up just a bit larger and look for a good deal in the 40 to 43 inch size range.

TV's are so good these days that for the average TV viewer the best brand name deal with the features you want will be fine. It is easy to get "analysis paralysis" when there are really very few bad choices as long as you buy a brand with a good reputation.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that the speakers that come the TV's are tiny and don't produce very good sound even on expensive TV's. If you have the budget for it you should consider eventually getting an inexpensive sound bar(speakers) to hook up to the TV, but you can wait and get that later if you want. An example of what I am talking about is;

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3820x-C6- ... 1248879011

The remotes works easier if it is that same brand as your TV. The length does not really matter except it might be a bit different than your TV and some people are picky about that.

Be sure to check on how long the warranty lasts since on some brands it can be pretty short. As I recall Costco extends the warranty for TV's but you would want to check on that. You may have credit cards that also extend the warranty so it would be good to buy it with one of those if you have one.
A few comments:

I have never bought an extended warranty in my life, but I did buy a 4 year (i.e. 3 year extended) warranty on the 55" LG TV I recently bought at Wal*Mart. My thinking was "What am I going to do with this large TV if it fails within the first few years?" I thought about the credit card extended warranty, but even 2 years doesn't seem like enough life out of a purchase like this.

Years ago, I received a 40" Sony/ Google smart TV as a gift. It has worked very well and I enjoy it a lot. However, over the years, Google has abandoned support and updates for the Google TV features. When I recently bought a new TV (for a different room, not as a replacement), I chose not to buy a smart TV. I have this new model connected to my home theater system, which has a bunch of HDMI inputs, in addition to the 3 on the TV. Aside from the cable box, the only HDMI I currently use is Google Chromecast. Based on my limited experience, it seems like buying a smart TV is a bit like buying a car with a navigation system in that the technology of the smart features/navi system do not have longevity equivalent to the overall product.

As far as audio quality, It seems like a lot of the TV shows (dramas) throw in some kind of bass tones periodically as effects, which are amplified through the subwoofer in a way the producers of the show probably did not intend. I can tolerate it but it drives my wife crazy, so for TV dramas we often end up using the built in TV speakers...and they sound surprisingly good. For sports or movies on TV, this is not an issue; seems like more on the weekly dramas like cop shows, etc.

I enjoyed looking at the chart for optimum sizing of the TV, and it makes sense to me. However, there are some practical issues (besides money) that come into play. For example, due to the configuration of my viewing room (doors, windows, etc.), the best place to put the TV (for all seating positions to view) is in the corner. This prohibits wall mount, so I bought a stand, which also provides a place for the various components/center channel speaker/cable box. Depending on where one sits, the viewing distance can range from about 9 ft to about 14 foot. The stand I bought can accommodate up to 60" TV (I bought a 55"). I don't know if you can buy a corner stand for a 70+ inch TV, but it would be so large, I don't think it would look good in the room.

If you watch a lot of TV, it may make sense to optimize your TV size based on the chart. For some of us who are casual watchers, the disruption to the room aesthetics may also be a factor. Perhaps for this reason, I have noticed men usually wants a very large TV, while women often want something a bit smaller (sexist comment, i realize, but I have personally observed this multiple times; I realize it is not universal).

Thinking back to the old days, I guess the equivalent would be buying a very large CRT TV; not too many people I know bought the biggest one they could find.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:14 pm

I wouldn't overspend in the hope of future proofing. In a few more years OLED TVs will be common and whatever you buy now will be obsolete (but maybe still good enough). Just pick something you can afford that fits your current needs.

Two points that have already been made but that I'll repeat anyway: you can never have too many HDMI inputs, and good speakers can make a surprisingly big difference.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 pm

munemaker wrote:
Based on my limited experience, it seems like buying a smart TV is a bit like buying a car with a navigation system in that the technology of the smart features/navi system do not have longevity equivalent to the overall product.

If you watch a lot of TV, it may make sense to optimize your TV size based on the chart. For some of us who are casual watchers, the disruption to the room aesthetics may also be a factor. Perhaps for this reason, I have noticed men usually wants a very large TV, while women often want something a bit smaller (sexist comment, i realize, but I have personally observed this multiple times; I realize it is not universal).
i agree with both these points.

i think, as a practical matter, that most tv's are going to be "smart" and going without is not going to be an option (except for the real small ones). however, i don't use the smart function built into my tv. i added a roku unit and use it as i find it to be much superior to the built in smart funtion.

anecdotal, but when i started shopping for a tv the wife wanted a small one so it "wouldn't take over the room".my response was "taking over the room" was the whole point in upgrading.