Time to purchase Volkswagen vehicle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
libertyforever12

Time to purchase Volkswagen vehicle?

Post by libertyforever12 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:22 pm

We know Volkswagen is in trouble. I also heard they are given out serious discounts on their cars, something around $2k to 4k discounts on their cheaper models. This is based on the news as well as my discussion with a few salesmans. Based on the current circumstances, do you think it is worthwhile purchasing a new Volkswagen vehicle?

Twins Fan

Re: Time to purchase Volkswagen vehicle?

Post by Twins Fan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 pm

No, I don't think it's worth it.... I don't need a new car right now. :happy

Do you need a new car, or does this just sound like a deal and you want to jump?

basspond

Post by basspond » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 am

We asked our mechanic about buying a used car. He specifically said to stay away from VWs because of their expensive maintenance.

So we bought an American one but that didn't turn out well either.

Raladic

Post by Raladic » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:45 am

basspond wrote:We asked our mechanic about buying a used car. He specifically said to stay away from VWs because of their expensive maintenance.

So we bought an American one but that didn't turn out well either.

That is interesting as its quite contrary to the thousands of used old VW (mostly Golf) being used in Europe due to their availability to keep driving with little maintenance needed and if so there's every part available in the aftermarket making it quite cheap.

My first car was 4 years younger than myself, cost 1000EUR, had 4 wheels and kept driving, sold it for 1000EUR 3 years later due to its value of "has 4 wheels, will keep driving with little care". (We don't get new shiny cars from our parents that keep us save but could harm plenty of others due o their size and power (1.8L is a sports car in Europe, 1.1 is more the norm for a car with 4 wheels)).

Just a different though of perspective (and partly obviously that there's a larger market of VWs in Europe, making parts cheaper).

czr

Post by czr » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:18 am

$2k-4k off of MSRP is going on at most makes right now without even asking but there are some VW loyalty discounts of $2k on top of any deal you have. If you are in need of a new car, you should consider them. The first 3-5 years is fine because of warranty and their maintenance program but after they are expensive to maintain unless you have a good indy vw mechanic. A friend's Tiguan's turbo just crapped out on him which happens to be pretty common

It will be interesting to see where this scandal goes in terms of their sales as things could get worse.

mmarreco

Post by mmarreco » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:25 am

I don't think $2-$4k is enough discount to justify a VW purchase. On top of the reliability issues already mentioned here everything I have read about the likely fixes to the diesel cheats will likely be a cripple to the cars, causing major consumer dissatisfaction and be a major contributor to tarnish the brand even further. The company has been making cuts in R&D and capital spending and is clearly in defensive mode - it will take a very long time to recover if it ever does. Definitely not something I would want to bet my money on.

bad78andy

Post by bad78andy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:52 am

I wouldn't touch VW's US models such as the Jetta and Passat, which are different from the German/global model. The US Jetta and Passat have cheaper interiors, driving experience is different. You are better better off with a model from Honda, Toyota, even Ford or GM. I drove both the US and European models this year, chalk and cheese. I buy and drive for at least 7-10 years, if not more. I have a couple of friends who've had the Golf and they always complained about numerous issues after the 4 year warranty expired. I don't think their AC systems can handle South West Florida humidity.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 am

Thought of this thread while I drove by a new looking broken down VW on the highway today.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:07 am

Do realize that most of the Volkswagen vehicles are made in Mexico, not Germany, especially the lower end models.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:41 am

I'd give it another 2 months. The deals are pretty sweet right now but I don't think we've at rock bottom yet. We're only seeing zero zero zero for leases. I'd wait until they get really desperate and start offereing zero down, zero interest, 72 month purchase.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:05 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car purchase).

FYI - We've had to lock several topics regarding VW's emissions scandals. Please do not continue the discussion along this path. Stay focused on purchasing a VW (or not).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Runner01

Post by Runner01 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Price is not the only metric one should consider when deciding which car to purchase. That $2-4k discount may "cost" you more in future maintenance.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:59 pm

In contrast to the standard anti-VW talking points, we have had a Jetta for 10.5 years and have had to pay for just one repair of about $250 and no reliability issues. Also it does not feature a killer air bag.

It was an early build of a newly redesigned model and there were a number of issues fixed under warranty, which we thought could happen with a new model.

Our 2007 Mazda6 and 2005 VW Jetta have each averaged about $275 per year in total maintenance (scheduled and unscheduled) and repair costs.

I wouldn't buy a diesel because I'd be worried that the fix will hurt performance.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

552BB

Post by 552BB » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:30 am

Good morning libery,

I would add maybe a counter intuitive answer.

There may be many who would say now is a great time to by a VW.

The company is under scrutiny, and everyone within the company is aware of that.

Some, including myself, would believe that every person within VW is going to do there best during this time of scrutiny.

If you believed before this, that the VW cars were good quality, I would think they would be great right now.

They need to win over customers. Great prices and great deals is one way. The product, right now, has to be top notch.

I am currently considering a new VW.

I hope this helps.

:sharebeer

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Buying a car is not buying stock in the company.

When you buy a car that otherwise meets your needs, your concerns are price, operating costs, and resale value.

With VW you will not be able to buy a model that is currently known to be affected by the emissions scandal. You know the price, and have a pretty good estimate on the operating costs (gas mileage and maintenance). FWIW, I think the damage to the resale value has already been done.

But, I also believe the market is efficient, that I don't know more than anyone else, and so VWs are probably fairly priced. You are not likely to get an especially great deal. (You might, but you have to toss the coin.)

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I look at used car listings almost daily for fun. From what I've noticed, local dealers here in PA have not lowered asking prices on used TDI's by much if anything.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:I look at used car listings almost daily for fun. From what I've noticed, local dealers here in PA have not lowered asking prices on used TDI's by much if anything.

I do have some credentials here.

If VW could meet emissions requirements through the control system and still have acceptable performance and fuel economy, why did they cheat?

The proper fix is probably to add hardware (a urea catalyst) but that would mean finding a place to package the hardware and develop a new control system, which will take years.

It is likely that VW will have a recall that modifies the control system but reduces performance and fuel economy, but still does not meet the standards. Owners will resist following the recall, what's in it for them? The Feds and CARB will get even more angry, and impose punitive fines to incentivize VW to buy the cars back.

A majority of the US states are already suing VW for consumer fraud. A number of state attorneys general see this as the son of the tobacco settlement. Plaintiff's attorneys are vying to be chosen as leads in class action suits. There is no horizon for VW's potential legal problems in the USA, not to mention other countries.

If you buy a used VW vehicle that is part of the scandal, you are flipping a coin. Will you get a part of what VW has already offered to existing owners? Will you be treated the same as those who bought their vehicles before the scandal broke?

In my opinion, this may lead to the withdrawal of VW (and perhaps Audi) from the US market. I do believe they are too big to fail in Germany, particularly in Lower Saxony, where that state has a significant interest.

Roll the dice if you wish, but you surely have no special knowledge on how this will turn out.

L.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Here is my take on VW reliability over many decades of friends and extended family. They are in the middle range of reliability for cars overall. However, they are extremely dependent on their scheduled maintenance being performed timely.

What this means is that from my view they can be a reasonably dependable vehicle if bought new, driven reasonably, and properly maintained. However, I would tend to avoid them when purchased used as you don't know the driving and maintenance history.

This is based on a fairly large sample set, but still anecdotal evidence. In my experience Golfs and Jettas seem to be popular cars for young men. They beat them to ever loving death and maybe add oil when the low oil light comes on. "Scheduled Maintenance, what's that?"

I would be very worried about buying a used Golf or Jetta unless it was a one owner car with maintenance records, but certainly not where the salesman said it was driven by a little old lady from Pasadena.

Think Honda Civic SI.

daveatca

Probably a good time

Post by daveatca » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... down-24-7-

Volkswagen of America November Vehicle Sales Down 24.7%

TNL

Post by TNL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:40 am

I bought a 2014 new VW Jetta off the lot in May 2014. So far, I really like it. I traded in a 2006 Mercedes E320 with 113k miles on it. As long as you are under warranty with your VW, you're fine. I have put 20K miles on the car in 18 months and I have paid $0 out of pocket for oil changes and the routine service that you have while you're under warranty. The maintenance from the dealer is expensive. I plan to get rid of the car around 60k-80k miles, whereupon I will most likely sell it to someone who wants it as a project car. I can't believe how much I am saving on gas over my old car. Right now, it is $25 to fill the tank from empty at Costco right now and I put gas in once every 12-14 days.

Dog_Papa

Post by Dog_Papa » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:24 pm

I think you will find that the best values long term, in basic transportation. Are base Toyota & Nissan vehicles, being used as loss leaders.
They are in ads for say $12K to $18K, w/as asterisk one at this price. What I did is get to the dealership, the morning the ad came out and
bought the one car available at that price. Even if you don't get that deal. They will sell a Nissan Altima or Corolla, for under $18K. The
Altima gets 38 mpg hwy. It would take a long time, to make up the additional cost of a diesel car, with fuel cost savings. Particularly when
diesel costs more that regular gas. Also, as already mentioned, maintenance is more expensive.

I don't believe diesel cars are a better value for the consumer, now or in the past. Before 2007, diesel Pickups made since if you were
pulling a heavy trailer. New emissions however changed all that. I think a lot people question these new emission standards. So, the
people who did this, didn't feel they were doing anything wrong. From what I understand, there are millions of lines of code in cars
computer chips. So, it is easy to hide even a very sophisticated method of beating the emission test. Which is what Volkswagen created,
to beat the emissions test. I lived in the PRC (People's Republic of California) for a while. Emission testing was every two years. People had
figured out dozens of ways to beat the system. This behavior by Volkswagen doesn't surprise me in the least. I wonder if other automakers
have not done the same thing. Well, we shall see. Because now every car's emissions software, will be checked more carefully.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:49 pm

According to USA Today, VW's USA sales are down 25%, This is about the same as their previous level of diesel sales.

Part of the story seems to be that when they stopped selling diesels, VW boosted sales of gasoline vehicles through discounting. Now, they are running low on inventory of gasoline vehicles and total sales have dropped.

L.