NYC in early December

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
parastoo

NYC in early December

Post by parastoo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi,
We're thinking of going to NYC for 3-4 days in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for a lower priced, decent place to stay in Manhattan?
Also, any opinions about Peter Lugers?
Thanks,
Mark

nyclon

Re: NYC in early December

Post by nyclon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm

parastoo wrote:Hi,
We're thinking of going to NYC for 3-4 days in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for a lower priced, decent place to stay in Manhattan?
Thanks,
Mark
I'd recommend staying near midtown since it's convenient to all areas which you'd want to visit given your trip duration. I highly recommend using priceline's name your own price or express deals and booking around their "empire state building" zone.

In case you need some ideas on what to do: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=175521

Enjoy

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Peter Lugers is great, remember they only take cash.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm

You are picking a time of year when accommodations may be even pricier than usual. Where to stay depends a lot on what you want to do.

Our preference is Greenwich Village; last March we rented an Airbnb on 5th ave and 9th street, A one bedroom apartment, close to many subway lines, and in walking distance of many great cultural and culinary sites. Midtown would be a bit too relentless for us, we enjoy being able to stroll from Washington Square Park, down through Soho, Little Italy (which is really little these days) and then to Chinatown, where we usually wind up eating.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:45 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:Our preference is Greenwich Village; last March we rented an Airbnb on 5th ave and 9th street, A one bedroom apartment, close to many subway lines, and in walking distance of many great cultural and culinary sites. Midtown would be a bit too relentless for us, we enjoy being able to stroll from Washington Square Park, down through Soho, Little Italy (which is really little these days) and then to Chinatown, where we usually wind up eating.
Rentals through AirBnB and similar places are generally illegal in NYC. OP may want to post on TripAdvisor (TA) with the dates of their planned visit along with the budget for specific hotel suggestions. A number of folks on the site appear to be quite knowledgable and helpful in providing guidance

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:50 am

parastoo wrote:Hi,
Thanks,
Mark
Trump Tower?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Seth Kugel considers hotels near Manhattan -
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/trave ... attan.html

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:26 pm

There is no lower priced decent hotel in Manhattan.

Our family of 5 made a habit to stay in one of the suite hotel chains in the Harmon Meadow development near Secaucus NJ. There's a nice bus that loops around the area and drops off at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown, a couple blocks from Times Sq. Only costs a few bucks. We'd take the bus into town in the morning, and take it back to the hotel late at night (as late as 1AM I believe).

We saved at least $150 per night over the equivalent hotel in Manhattan, at only a small cost of the time back and forth. Eliminated expensive Manhattan parking as well, which more-or-less covered the daily bus tickets.

JCP7

Post by JCP7 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:47 pm

As a Manhattanite, I would say: do NOT stay near midtown or in New Jersey. Manhattan (as well as the other boroughs) are made up of many interesting neighborhoods; get out and walk in some of them, such as the Upper Westside or the Village.

Hotels that friends or relatives have stayed in:

Park79 http://www.park79hotel.com Right near the Museum of Natural History and Central Park, close to two subway lines

Landmark Guest Rooms at Union Theological Seminary https://utsnyc.edu/about/guest-rooms-at-union/
Near Columbia University, Grant’s Tomb and Riverside Church. Subway at 116th & Broadway

Larchmont Hotel http://www.larchmonthotel.com in Greenwich Village near NYU and easy subway access

The subways are a quick, reliable and cheap way to get around; you can also take buses http://web.mta.info/metrocard/tourism/index.html. Taking the subway or bus is a great way to explore areas that are not the usual tourist traps. It’s the way real New Yorkers get around — don’t be afraid and have fun! :happy

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:23 pm

JCP7 wrote:Hotels that friends or relatives have stayed in:
Park79 http://www.park79hotel.com Right near the Museum of Natural History and Central Park, close to two subway lines
At $500 /night, not sure that qualifies as a lower priced hotel for most of us who are not Manhattanites. :?

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Peter Lugars is overpriced and over rated IMHO. Try Virgils near the theater district. Never been disappointed with both family and friends.

Screenwriter

Post by Screenwriter » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Be sure to hit up the Village around Bleecker Street. The best pizza in a city full of amazing pizza is there. Also check out Mamoun's - open 24 hours and about all they serve is amazing falafel. Like a Cafe Du Monde but for falafel. Also, visit Serendipity 3 on 60th Street for some of the best homemade desserts you've ever imagined. Just bear in mind that if you don't make reservations, it can be a long wait (i.e., four hours) but there's plenty to do and see around that area while you wait. Worth it!

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:00 pm

vectorizer wrote:
JCP7 wrote:Hotels that friends or relatives have stayed in:
At $500 /night, not sure that qualifies as a lower priced hotel for most of us who are not Manhattanites. :?
It looks as if the "normal" rate is a relatively reasonable $200 or so (maybe slightly higher, depending on specifics) when I looked at dates further out. As I believe someone else has already noted, this is a peak travel time for NYC. Admittedly, a lot of times may be "peak", but to try to book something with only two weeks notice exacerbates things, unfortunately.

My recommendation would be for OP to specify their exact dates and check on discount sites, such as priceline.com (as already mentioned) and / or to consult with the "experts" on tripadvisor.com. No question that lodging in Manhattan is pricey, but with planning one has a chance of getting a better (if not great or cheap) rate.

As far as hotel cost goes, I personally would try to stay local, even if it's more costly, so that you can walk around the neighborhoods, stop at coffee shops, restaurants, etc., rather than spending your limited time commuting. If you're not going to stay in Manhattan, Long Island City in Queens seems to be reasonably accessible by subway. Please just be careful that you select a hotel that is close to the subway -- not all of them are!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail ... de_of.html

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 pm

We stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel, near Penn Station on 35th street. Can't get more central than that. Comfortable and quiet room. At $136, not a bad deal: http://www.hotels.com/ho206674/hotel-me ... g18768.d.c
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm

For last minute deals, this might be useful.

https://www.hoteltonight.com/
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Agree with staying in the interesting parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn. It costs more but makes a trip that much easier. Sometimes you need a quick pit stop at the hotel because you forgot something, change of clothes before dinner, or whatever. It's a lot easier to do that when your hotel in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:18 pm

I apologize for repeating myself, but there is always a possibility of someone new reading about visiting New York City.

When I visit NYC, I stay at Hosteling International, HI-NYC, located on the Upper West Side. The hostel is one block from the 103rd Street stop of Line-1 of the subway, which can significantly cut the cost of local transportation.

The price per bed varies depending on the time of the year, days of a week, holidays, and room sizes. On the weekend in November I paid ~$60 in a room for 10. In January, a bed in a room for 12 will be $36 mid-week.

The hostel has a full kitchen with several refrigerators, several stoves, and plenty of dishes. One can save a fortune on not eating out.

Every day, the hostel offers one or two events. At nights, they organize bar hopping, comedy club visits, in-house parties with free wine, and alike. In the mornings, they offer trips to Brooklyn, Harlem, Central Park, etc. Most of these events are free or very cheap.

The only expense I resented was $5 for storing my bag on the day I checked out. There are no luggage storage facilities at the Penn Station, and I ended up taking subway to the hostel to pick up my bag and then to Penn Station. Next time, I will either leave for home shortly after checking out or find a storage facility in the vicinity of Penn Station.

Those coming before the end of January should visit the Picasso sculpture exhibit in MOMA. I went to see it on Monday and it was somewhat crowded; perhaps, it will get better by January.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:58 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:Peter Lugars is overpriced and over rated IMHO. Try Virgils near the theater district. Never been disappointed with both family and friends.
+1 on Virgil's for ribs. But! the place is always crowded and too noisy with tourists. Last time I was there the service had really gone downhill.
Peter Luger's - cash only and you will PAY for it!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

dswails2729

Post by dswails2729 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Highly recommend checking Hotwire Hot Deals... I've used it many times and have gotten really nice hotels for under $150/nt. Places I've stayed include: The Lexington (highly recommend- near Rockefeller Center), Yotel (Midtown West), Tribeca Blu (Tribeca obviously)... I've also stayed in Le Parker Meridien, south of Central Park, but it doesn't fall in the lower priced category.

For food, a low-priced must is the Meatball Shop.

swaption

Post by swaption » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm sure many can come up with countless reasons to not go to Peter Lugers. But is is an institution and it is awesome. When there, take a look at the bank building across the street, and consider the fact that the restaurant has been there since pre-1900 when that location was primarily a port (no bridges). Expensive? Sure, but so are any of the dozens of now ubiquitous high end steak places, a number of which now try to copy Lugers. I say hit the original, complete with the Brooklyn accents and attitudes. I am a NYer, and there is a reason why I took my wife and kids to Lugers on my 50th birthday. A unique place, and we all loved it.

Virgils is fine, but why would you come to NY for that (BBQ)? I would hit Carnegie Deli or Grand Central Oyster Bar is a heartbeat. Even Lomabrdi's pizzaa is a good call, somewhat newer, but kind of an old legacy. There are many others.

westie

Post by westie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:19 pm

http://www.rownyc.com/

Formerly the Milford Plaza, totally renovated. Wife and I stayed here last December. 25 yards from the Shake Shack, 50 yards from the subway, 100 yards from the theatre, 200 yards from Times Square. We'd stay there again. It was about $220 including room taxes a night. Hotel rooms in NYC are generally small.

sliqua

Post by sliqua » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:30 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I apologize for repeating myself, but there is always a possibility of someone new reading about visiting New York City.

When I visit NYC, I stay at Hosteling International, HI-NYC, located on the Upper West Side. The hostel is one block from the 103rd Street stop of Line-1 of the subway, which can significantly cut the cost of local transportation.

The price per bed varies depending on the time of the year, days of a week, holidays, and room sizes. On the weekend in November I paid ~$60 in a room for 10. In January, a bed in a room for 12 will be $36 mid-week.

The hostel has a full kitchen with several refrigerators, several stoves, and plenty of dishes. One can save a fortune on not eating out.

Every day, the hostel offers one or two events. At nights, they organize bar hopping, comedy club visits, in-house parties with free wine, and alike. In the mornings, they offer trips to Brooklyn, Harlem, Central Park, etc. Most of these events are free or very cheap.

The only expense I resented was $5 for storing my bag on the day I checked out. There are no luggage storage facilities at the Penn Station, and I ended up taking subway to the hostel to pick up my bag and then to Penn Station. Next time, I will either leave for home shortly after checking out or find a storage facility in the vicinity of Penn Station.

Those coming before the end of January should visit the Picasso sculpture exhibit in MOMA. I went to see it on Monday and it was somewhat crowded; perhaps, it will get better by January.

Victoria
This is a solid recommendation - I've lived near the hostel in the past and can vouch for safety and the neighborhood in general.

But to correct the record: Penn Station has luggage storage (managed by Amtrak), but you need to have a ticket (having just arrived or planning to depart). If you need to store your bags for a short amount of time, I'd recommend walking one avenue over to B&H (the camera store). They have a bag check at the door since you aren't allowed to bring large bags in...I've gotten away with them holding onto my bag for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:54 pm

sliqua wrote:This is a solid recommendation - I've lived near the hostel in the past and can vouch for safety and the neighborhood in general.
I have a high tolerance for travel safety and stayed in places far more challenging than the Upper West Side. For added reassurance: I have been arriving to HI-NYC at different hours and never had a problem. The latest was at 3am when an Italian girl and I left bar hopping in East Village.
sliqua wrote:But to correct the record: Penn Station has luggage storage (managed by Amtrak), but you need to have a ticket (having just arrived or planning to depart). If you need to store your bags for a short amount of time, I'd recommend walking one avenue over to B&H (the camera store). They have a bag check at the door since you aren't allowed to bring large bags in...I've gotten away with them holding onto my bag for 2 or 3 hours at a time.
You are right. I talked to the Amtrak luggage storage attendants, but they would not accept my bag because I came by bus and not by Amtrak. The tip about the camera shop is great; thanks! I was wondering if I could come with the bag to MOMA and leave it there while I was in the museum, but decided not to risk it. Perhaps, I should have.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TorturedRegret

Post by TorturedRegret » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:27 pm

NYC is AirB&B's biggest market. Elephant in the room.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
sliqua wrote:This is a solid recommendation - I've lived near the hostel in the past and can vouch for safety and the neighborhood in general.
I was wondering if I could come with the bag to MOMA and leave it there while I was in the museum, but decided not to risk it. Perhaps, I should have.

Victoria
The excerpt below from MoMA's website outlines checked baggage requirements, including size limitations.
Checkroom

All bags are subject to security inspection before entering the Museum. The Museum requires visitors to check all items that are larger than 11 x 15 x 5 inches (28 x 38 x 13 cm) and can check items as large as 14 x 22 x 9 inches (36 x 56 x 23 cm). To avoid a long wait in the checkroom line, visitors should not bring such items. Any item that is larger than 14 x 22 x 9 inches (36 x 56 x 23 cm) will not be allowed in the checkroom and cannot be brought into the galleries.

The Museum reserves the right to refuse other items and is not responsible for items held by the checkroom.

http://www.moma.org/visit/plan/guidelines

Still, the Museum's right to refuse, admittedly, "other items" may give some wiggle-room that would potentially be a nuisance in the event inability to check your bags precluded you from entering the galleries.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:30 pm

rjbraun wrote:The excerpt below from MoMA's website outlines checked baggage requirements, including size limitations.
Still, the Museum's right to refuse, admittedly, "other items" may give some wiggle-room that would potentially be a nuisance in the event inability to check your bags precluded you from entering the galleries.
Thank you, rjbraun! My bag size is just under 14 x 22 x 9 inches which qualifies it as a carry-on on most airlines. If MOMA refused accepting it, I probably could have found a commercial storage in the area at a premium cost. Anything would have been better than $5 storage at the hostel PLUS a round trip on subway. Unfortunately, I did not think about it at the time.

Victoria

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Peter Lugars is overpriced and over rated IMHO. Try Virgils near the theater district. Never been disappointed with both family and friends.
+1 on Virgil's for ribs. But! the place is always crowded and too noisy with tourists. Last time I was there the service had really gone downhill.
Peter Luger's - cash only and you will PAY for it!
Virgils is hardly an alternative to Peter Lugars. While there are numerous other good steakhouses around, and I'm not going to recommend any because they're all the same, Virgils is basically an Applebee's that does BBQ. It's for tourists. Peter Lugars is a good steak, but the bigger reason to go for most is for future name-dropping.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:10 pm

A nice little summary of Christmas in New York

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/ ... /75927524/

parastoo

Post by parastoo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the replies. Due to terrorism related concerns on the part of one member of the party[her] and not wanting to pay $380.00 DOLLARS !!! FOR THE CHEAPEST "HAMILTON" seats [me] we decided to go to Florida for a few days [Sarasota], see "West Side Story",and hang out at the beach. Seats for "Hamilton" are cheaper a few months out so maybe we will go in the Spring.
Thanks,
Mark

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:08 am

We just returned from NYC for 3 days and eat at Gallagher's. Great steak and reasonably priced (cheaper than Ruth Chris here in Raleigh and much better food).

Saw The Book of Mormon and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it does poke fun at religion and some may find the humor distasteful at times (what would you expect from the creator's of South Park).

Stayed at the Plaza...overpriced in my opinion but Happy Wife, Happy Life don't you know.