Gene Amdahl: 1922-2015

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jebmke

Gene Amdahl: 1922-2015

Post by jebmke »

Those of us greyhair/nohair computer wonks note the passing of Gene Amdahl, the pioneer of mainframe computing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/13/techn ... front&_r=0

The IBM 360 I worked with in the early 70s probably had less computing power than many of today's kitchen appliances. Yet, they were amazing machines. Amdahl was a legend.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
cheese_breath

Re: Gene Amdahl: 1922-2015

Post by cheese_breath »

We had a couple Amdahl mainframes (I think they were 5860s) in our computer room in the mid 1980s. Worked just as well as IBM at a lower price.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I did some of my first programming classes at the University of Cincinnati on their Amdahl mainframe in the early 80's. Started with punch cards and eventually moved up to a line editor and then the very high tech TSO full screen editor before eventually moving on to a DEC VAX system. Gene Amdahl was one of the pioneers of modern computing.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jebmke wrote:The IBM 360 I worked with in the early 70s probably had less computing power than many of today's kitchen appliances. Yet, they were amazing machines. Amdahl was a legend.
The big difference is data capacity (volume and speed). Your DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic can't do a four-tape merge-sort while printing paychecks on one printer and sales reports on another. Your iPhone can't either.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
daveatca

Gene Amdahl, pioneer

Post by daveatca »

bertilak wrote:Your DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic can't do a four-tape merge-sort while printing paychecks on one printer and sales reports on another.
On the other hand, your MVS mainframe can't make coffee. So, there!

Gene Amdahl will be missed. A true pioneer.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

As far as I know Amdahls were the first "clones" in the computer world. IP lawyers were not as involved with computer architecture back then.
bertilak

Re: Gene Amdahl, pioneer

Post by bertilak »

daveatca wrote:
bertilak wrote:Your DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic can't do a four-tape merge-sort while printing paychecks on one printer and sales reports on another.
If only we'd thought of that at the time! :beer (That's a coffee cup)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

daveatca wrote:
That's just a question of the peripherals.

I did multi-tape sorts while printing reports on a 286. I could have done it on a 8088 but I'd have had to write my own OS. The people I was working with thought I had a mainframe in the back room.

Never hooked up the coffee maker, but I did control a bunch of lab devices with the parallel port, so I could have if I'd thought about it.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

bertilak wrote:The big difference is data capacity (volume and speed). Your DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic can't do a four-tape merge-sort while printing paychecks on one printer and sales reports on another. Your iPhone can't either.
You can't do a merge unless you do the sort first (always sort/merge :wink: ).

Worked with/on a 470 mainframe in the early 80's; we had a 370/168 on one side of the room and a 470 V7 facing it on the other side. What made the 470 unique was the "accelerator" key that (for a fee) could be turned on and increased the system clock time to up throughput. We had the authorization to turn it on during the latter time of a processing time-frame (usually 3rd shift) to ensure the on-line apps would be available for the 8 am office folks to start work.

- Ron
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

hicabob wrote:As far as I know Amdahls were the first "clones" in the computer world. IP lawyers were not as involved with computer architecture back then.
I believe you're right.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
daveatca wrote:
That's just a question of the peripherals.

I did multi-tape sorts while printing reports on a 286. I could have done it on a 8088 but I'd have had to write my own OS. The people I was working with thought I had a mainframe in the back room.

Never hooked up the coffee maker, but I did control a bunch of lab devices with the parallel port, so I could have if I'd thought about it.
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Locked. Nothing against Mr. Amdahl, but this isn't a personal consumer topic.