"Big Box" Stores for new roof......

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Broken Man 1999

"Big Box" Stores for new roof......

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:13 pm

Well, after the torrential rains we had a month or so ago, I found I have a leak in the back side of my house. The roof area there is flatter than the other roof areas; the pitch elsewhere much steeper.

I'm going to get bids for any work, through the original builder, the roofing company that put the replacement roof on back in 2002; Angie's List, also.

But, as I was pondering my choices, the mail came, and in the mail was an offer from Home Depot for extended (zero interest) credit for various jobs, including roofing.

I have used Home Depot for some bathroom remodeling (2), and the people they sent did a very good job. In one bath they cut the sink area incorrectly, but they had to eat it. They had measured incorrectly. They made everything right with a minimum of hassle. I did feel a bit for the poor workers that had to hump the heavy pieces of stone upstairs twice. Wife was very happy with both bathrooms, and that is from a critical judge of craftsmanship.

Anyone want to share any good (or not so good) experiences they had with a roofing job using Home Depot, or Lowe's, since Lowe's typically matches Home Depot's deals.

Seems with their buying power they could enjoy great margins on these type activities.

Thanks for any input!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

renue74

Re: "Big Box" Stores for new roof......

Post by renue74 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 pm

YMMV. Just like general contractors, the big boxes use subs to do work.

The one nice thing is that if anything goes wrong, you do have someone to go to, but the big box "machine of bureaucracy," may not get you what you want if you have issues.

I bought $3K in custom windows for a rental property in April. It took 6 weeks to get them when they said it would be 2. Nobody at the local HD cared, even though we are a "Pro" customer.

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:24 pm

I used Lowes after getting several quotes. The roofing crew did a nice job and finished in one day. They were up from Houston to work for the summer and all the do is roofs. The other crew, for some side projects, was a group that does gutter installation, but they also took on some electrical work. They did a very mediocre job and had to come back to fix it twice, and it's still not right.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:34 pm

HD / Lowes may have great buying power, but don't expect it to be passed on to you. After they pay the sub they still want their cut of the action. I'd rather do my own investigation and pick the best contractor than hope HD or Lowes sends me a good one. Also don't assume the customer service from HD or Lowes will be any better than a contractor you chose yourself. We bought new front doors from Lowes which turned out to be defective. Took many months plus a letter to their HQ to get them fixed.

Check HomeAdvisor if you don't already subscribe to Angie's.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:36 am

I'm not a big fan of going through big box stores for contract work. It is a no hassle solution for sure but the type of companies that do sub work for them are typically looking for volume to keep busy and are not working on very large margins. Thus they don't seem inclined to do their best work which is what I am seeking generally. I use the coconut telegraph system by asking my neighbors and friends if they have gotten similar work done, by whom and if they would hire them again. After asking enough people, I generally get one that gets repeated more often than the others and if their price is reasonable, that is who I go with. I have rarely been disappointed going this route.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:52 am

I have had good and bad experiences with Big Box Stores. Depends on who you get to do the transaction. If you go to Lowes, and you own rental units then you have a business so you can get their business credit discount, which is a 5% discount on all materials plus delivery for $20.00. That's quite nice.
You can make up the business name right on the spot and give them a P.O. #

I would really research roof shingles BEFORE you hire anyone. The new roof shingles do not carry the amount of copper as the old ones and the big black stains from mold and algae are making homes look terrible. They now make a roof shingle that carries the higher copper content but you have to search for them. My old roof never had a stain, my new roof even though I paid for a 30 year shingle, now looks terrible after 3 years. Check out this site for a lot of info w/recommendations on the new shingle.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/remove-p ... t-shingle/

Dee Stroir

Post by Dee Stroir » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:03 pm

I would be wary of using the box store. They use the cheapest subs they can get. Most reputable subs won't work for a box store because it doesn't pay enough. I would advise you to go to a roofing distributor and ask for contractor recommendations. They know who runs a good business and it benefits them to recommend the good ones.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Dee Stroir wrote:I would be wary of using the box store. They use the cheapest subs they can get. Most reputable subs won't work for a box store because it doesn't pay enough. I would advise you to go to a roofing distributor and ask for contractor recommendations. They know who runs a good business and it benefits them to recommend the good ones.

I have done that. They helped steer us away from a couple roofers who, while they may be OK, were mainly doing roofs on new houses. Contractors that do a lot of new construction often are hard to get to come back for fixes later.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Big Box stores have deep pockets and will be around to fix anything. I had good luck with HD replacing windows, doors, garage doors. Otherwise I would look for a roofing company with the most business, I did that with success in 1998, roof is still good. In respect to roofing stains, there are outfits who can wash your roof with an anti-stain solution, you can Google for that.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 pm

likegarden wrote:Big Box stores have deep pockets and will be around to fix anything....

Yes like Builder's Square. OK, so that was a subsidiary of K-Mart. But size doesn't necessarily guarantee eternal life...e.g. Borders, Mervins, Montgomery Ward. Even Sears might be in a death spiral.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

August

Post by August » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:14 pm

I would not go with a big box store, but instead get a few estimates from roofers. As mentioned previously, the big box stores use sub contractors and will add a fee- sometimes around 20% for Overhead and Profit. If you hire a roofer directly, you will not pay this fee.

On an unrelated note, you may not need a totally new roof due to the leak. With all the rains we've been getting here in the Southeast, many people are having roof leaks around pipe boots or due to minor flashing issues. It could also be a construction defect with the low slope roof. You may just need to have some valley flashing installed where the two roof slopes meet or possibly the low slope roof area redone with either Ice and water shield or a roll roofing material installed under the shingles.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks for all the comments.

Though I'm retired, I really don't want to get into the position of riding herd extra hard on someone doing work for me.

The lure of free credit for a year or so is appealing, but it isn't any kind of a deal maker/breaker at all. I do like using OPM when I can, though. But never at the price of quality.

Most of my roof seems to be in good shape, as I just had a wind mitigation inspection for homeowner's insurance. It is very stained, however. When it was new it was really nice looking, red 30 year architectural shingles on a red brick home. Big mistake on the color. Next time will be grey, better matches the stains. :D

At the same time, I might go with a metal roof on the back side where it is leaking. Solar panels would be a nice addition as it is sunny, and fairly flat. I would love to put a new metal roof on the entire home, but that might be a bit pricey. My pulmonary doctor just paid $60,000 for his new metal roof, but he makes a bit more and has a bit more roof area. :shock:

I will have to research metal roofs before I make a decision. Fortunately we seem to be out of the rainy season.

Thanks again!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain