Source For Unroasted Coffee Beans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LifeIsGood

Source For Unroasted Coffee Beans

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 am

I think I'm going to take the plunge and try roasting my own coffee beans. Is anyone aware of a source that sells what amounts to a "sampler pack" - ie maybe 4-5 different beans in small quantities I could try before committing to a "go to" beans I really like?
Thanks.

DoTheMath

Re: Source For Unroasted Coffee Beans

Post by DoTheMath » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:00 pm

When I looked into home roasting, Sweet Maria's was the place everyone seemed to buy their green beans from. Looking just now I see they offer various sampler packs along the lines of what you are looking for.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Is the main purpose for home roasting for taste, fun or money?
I could see myself doing it to get an exact flavor, but I'm not sure how long it would take and if it would be worthwhile, money wise.

jvpearce

Post by jvpearce » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Last year I switched from Sweet Maria's to Burman Coffee (burmancoffee.com) for my green beans. Sweet Maria's shipping was too expensive and too slow for me here on the east coast. I've found Burman to have better prices, same quality coffee, and faster shipping. Not to mention regular coupons/deals if you subscribe to their email newsletter. They also have samplers.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:31 pm

What type of roaster do you plan to use? (I've been thinking about roasting myself, but haven't taken the plunge yet.)
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 pm

I've been a satisfied customer of Sweet Maria's for about 12 years now. I usually order about - 6 months supply at a time so I don't really worry about shipping costs.

Sweet Maria's web site is a wealth of information on home roasting and their forums are good. I'm currently using a Behmor drum roaster which is pretty nice. But there are various cheaper ways to go if you just want to try home roasting. Using an old fashioned air popper works depending on the design as does an old fashioned stovetop popcorn maker. You can also use a grill and I have seen videos on YouTube where people are roasting coffee in big wok or stainless steel bowl using a cheap heat gun.

hansmatt

Post by hansmatt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:51 pm

I started out with Sweet Marias as well, many years ago. I have used Burman for probably the last 8 years with great success. Though their website may not be as fancy and complete with tutorials etc, Jon does a great job of selection and pricing. Though I'm wary of giving away food as gifts, fresh roasted beans are almost always a huge hit, and Burman coffee is my source for the goods.
Matt

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:46 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:Is the main purpose for home roasting for taste, fun or money?
I'd say the main purpose(s) are taste, & variety. Cost may be a wash by the time you add in shipping & equipment. Green coffee beans have a good shelf life - figure at least 8 months w/o noticeable degradation. Roast coffee starts to oxidize almost immediately - even refrigerated (or frozen), you can taste the difference within a week of the roast date. I usually keep around 15-20 different varieties of bean; roast small batches; grind the coffee immediately before brewing, & use the roasted beans before they have a chance to go stale.

Besides, I like a lighter :: less oily roast than you can buy at Char$$
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:57 pm

I like my coffee just barely roasted although I am not a connoisseur. 7-11 of all places sells green coffee beans a quite nice price.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:15 pm

scotthal wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:Is the main purpose for home roasting for taste, fun or money?
I'd say the main purpose(s) are taste, & variety. Cost may be a wash by the time you add in shipping & equipment. Green coffee beans have a good shelf life - figure at least 8 months w/o noticeable degradation. Roast coffee starts to oxidize almost immediately - even refrigerated (or frozen), you can taste the difference within a week of the roast date. I usually keep around 15-20 different varieties of bean; roast small batches; grind the coffee immediately before brewing, & use the roasted beans before they have a chance to go stale.

Besides, I like a lighter :: less oily roast than you can buy at Char$$
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I like a lighter roasts too, especially in the summer time with iced cold brew. I have an air popcorn popper so may give it a shot

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. As a newbie in the roasting arena, I've ordered a West Bend Poppery 2 Hot Air Popcorn Popper off Ebay, If I like the end product and this doesn't end up being a passing impulse, I may decide to upgrade to the Behmor. I ended up ordering from Burman's but Sweet Maria's also had some interesting offerings.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:11 pm

If you're a newbie to home roasting, I'd recommend that you check out homeroasters.org - it's a very good resource for advice & roaster info.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:59 am

scotthal wrote:If you're a newbie to home roasting, I'd recommend that you check out homeroasters.org - it's a very good resource for advice & roaster info.
Funny you mention that site. I stumbled upon it by accident yesterday. Lots of great info - almost to the point of overwhelming.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:09 am

Rebecca_S wrote:I like my coffee just barely roasted although I am not a connoisseur.
Not all connoisseurs prefer dark roasts. The trend with third wave coffee shops actually seems to be lighter roasts.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:34 am

I've been home roasting for 12 years. I'll never go back to buying pre-roasted coffee. The cheapest source I've found is greencoffeebuyingclub.com which is sort of a co-op where you divide up 100 kilo bags among many users. You are buying at wholesale cost plus a 50 cent per pound club fee. There are several distributors scattered around the country. It's doubly cheap for me as my source in this club is in my local area, so no shipping fees - I pick up my coffee from his house! But this method does not provide sampler packs. But if you already have an idea of what kind of coffee you like, it's the cheapest I've found -- cheaper than Burman or Sweet Maria's, and same good coffee. I've never gotten a bad batch of green coffee, these guys know what they're doing. (I'm drinking Rwandan and Panamanian as I write this, delicious!)

You have to register to get into this website, but it's free.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 pm

takeshi wrote:
Rebecca_S wrote:I like my coffee just barely roasted although I am not a connoisseur.
Not all connoisseurs prefer dark roasts. The trend with third wave coffee shops actually seems to be lighter roasts.
I read an article about this a few years ago. Starbucks really started the dark roast trend even though many people consider their coffee to be roasted way too dark. Apparently Starbucks roasts all their coffees so dark because it is easier to achieve consistency. They do so much volume that they have to source their coffee from so many different places. So, for example if they blast all of their Guatemalan to charcoal then it doesn't really matter which farm or location it came from, it is all going to have the same burnt taste. If they roasted lighter the regional distinctions would be more apparent and one bag of Guatemalan wouldn't necessarily taste like another. I really can't drink Starbucks drip coffee, it all tastes burnt to me.

I also prefer much lighter roasted coffees which is another reason I roast my own. I usually run my roasts up about 1/2 way through the first crack which gives a "city" or "full city" roast and is much lighter than most of what you find at Starbucks or local supermarkets.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 pm

texasdiver wrote:
takeshi wrote:
I read an article about this a few years ago. Starbucks really started the dark roast trend even though many people consider their coffee to be roasted way too dark. Apparently Starbucks roasts all their coffees so dark because it is easier to achieve consistency. They do so much volume that they have to source their coffee from so many different places. So, for example if they blast all of their Guatemalan to charcoal then it doesn't really matter which farm or location it came from, it is all going to have the same burnt taste. If they roasted lighter the regional distinctions would be more apparent and one bag of Guatemalan wouldn't necessarily taste like another. I really can't drink Starbucks drip coffee, it all tastes burnt to me.

I also prefer much lighter roasted coffees which is another reason I roast my own. I usually run my roasts up about 1/2 way through the first crack which gives a "city" or "full city" roast and is much lighter than most of what you find at Starbucks or local supermarkets.
If you ever come upon a Starbucks with a Clover machine you should try a cup. There was a little company that invented this thing and Starbucks bought them out. Not every store has one.