WSJ Online Subscription

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
saurabh

WSJ Online Subscription

Post by saurabh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:13 am

I used to have a package deal with a Barrons and WSJ online subscription. After my first year they were charging a price I thought was too high to continue with the WSJ so I dropped that. Recently I decided to subscribe again but see that the rates are even higher, it is about $340 a week plus tax. Is there any way to get a subscription for a lower promotional rate? I am a American Airlines frequent flyer member, but their offer to use miles I believe only applies to the print newspaper.

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: WSJ Online Subscription

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 am

saurabh wrote:I used to have a package deal with a Barrons and WSJ online subscription. After my first year they were charging a price I thought was too high to continue with the WSJ so I dropped that. Recently I decided to subscribe again but see that the rates are even higher, it is about $340 a week plus tax. Is there any way to get a subscription for a lower promotional rate? I am a American Airlines frequent flyer member, but their offer to use miles I believe only applies to the print newspaper.
You mean a "year", not a "week", right?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

rkuklinski

Post by rkuklinski » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:32 am

The American airlines miles redemption subscribes you to both the paper and online access (website, cellphone app, etc.). I have been using miles to subscribe for a couple of years now.
'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

spooky105

Post by spooky105 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 am

If you google around you may be able to find a lower promo rate on various websites (sometimes incognito mode in Google Chrome will yield different options as well). Even if you can't sign up for the offer because you were a prior subscriber, etc. you can email a screen shot of it to customer service. I would expect they will honor the lower rate -- that's been my experience every year with the Financial Times when they try to raise my rate.

Or you could just email the WSJ directly and just ask for a lower rate and see what comes back. If you're looking for online only their marginal cost to service you is effectively zero, so they should be willing to negotiate. You'll just have to keep an eye on the account when it comes due for renewal.

rkuklinski

Post by rkuklinski » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:21 am

Spooky, what kind of specials have you been able to find for Financial Times?
'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

saurabh

Post by saurabh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:39 am

rkuklinski wrote:The American airlines miles redemption subscribes you to both the paper and online access (website, cellphone app, etc.). I have been using miles to subscribe for a couple of years now.
Great, I will give it a try then!

ChupaChups

Free Workaround - First Click Free

Post by ChupaChups » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:44 am

If you don't mind an extra step, you could copy the title of the article you're trying to read and paste into google search. Then click on that article in the search results to read the whole article for free.

https://support.google.com/news/publish ... hl=en&rd=1

saurabh

Re: Free Workaround - First Click Free

Post by saurabh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:55 am

ChupaChups wrote:If you don't mind an extra step, you could copy the title of the article you're trying to read and paste into google search. Then click on that article in the search results to read the whole article for free.

https://support.google.com/news/publish ... hl=en&rd=1
That doesn't work on every article. For example I tried that to read the story on Ackman and Valeant which was a great story but going through Google does not work on that one.

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 pm

The technique of accessing a WSJ article by pasting the headline into Google seems to rarely work anymore.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Wait until Black Friday or thereabouts. An offer will likely pop up (may help to clear cookies first).

spooky105

Post by spooky105 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

rkuklinski wrote:Spooky, what kind of specials have you been able to find for Financial Times?
My digital-only standard subscription was going to renew at $5.75 / week ($299 / year) which was trumpeted as a 10% savings off of the "normal" rate. However, I was able to find an offer for $4.79 / week ($249 / year). I took a screenshot and emailed it to help@ft.com with a polite request for the lower rate which I received with no hassle. It's not a total steal, but about 15 minutes of work and one email saved me $50.

This and the Economist are my go-tos for news. Obviously not cheap, but I find both to be worth the cost. I periodically cash in airline miles for hard-copies of the WSJ as well.

There are also preferential rates available for students or folks affiliated with Universities (basically just need a .edu email address) for the FT, Economist, and WSJ.

ciscovp

Post by ciscovp » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:07 pm

I read WSJ for free using my iPhone. There is a new News app where you can select news items and news agencies.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Waking up old thread rather than posting new.

Wife used airline miles to subscribe to WSJ. Print edition delivers to the driveway every morning like clockwork. Stupidly, when you subscribe through a third party (such as mags for miles), the subscription is PRINT ONLY and no longer includes full digital access, so you can't read 'locked' articles. Confirmed this with the WSJ rep when we were trying to activate the account online. :annoyed
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Know a kid in college?
Home delivery plus full online = $49/yr

WSJ knows about healthy margins!

Post by 123 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 pm

malabargold wrote:Know a kid in college?
Home delivery plus full online = $49/yr

WSJ knows about healthy margins!
Great gift idea and if the college kid says he never reads it you might as well change the delivery address over to yours.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:28 am

saurabh wrote:I used to have a package deal with a Barrons and WSJ online subscription. After my first year they were charging a price I thought was too high to continue with the WSJ so I dropped that. Recently I decided to subscribe again but see that the rates are even higher, it is about $340 a week plus tax. Is there any way to get a subscription for a lower promotional rate? I am a American Airlines frequent flyer member, but their offer to use miles I believe only applies to the print newspaper.
$340 a week? $17680 a year sounds like a lot to subscribe to a newspaper.

jmcgxx

Post by jmcgxx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 am

I've used this site many times over the last three years.

http://www.offers.com/wsj/