Costco auto buying service is USELESS!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Gambler

Costco auto buying service is USELESS!

Post by Gambler » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:22 pm

so i'm a costco member.
i went through thise auto services to get a quote so i dont waste my time going to the dealership.

this is what i got after i entered my info and costco sent it to the dealership:
"The Costco Auto Program document at the dealership that shows the savings prearranged for Costco members for every vehicle the dealership offers through the program. After selecting a vehicle at the dealership, the member should ask to see this document." :annoyed

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

why not show me the price on my screen so i dont have to waste my time?!

USELESS!
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist

mhalley

Re: Costco auto service is USELESS!

Post by mhalley » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:00 pm

That does seem pretty useless. I used a different service when I purchased my acura and I had a printout that I took to the dealer. You might try one of the competing sites. I am a poor negotiator to I found the web site helpful, but others say you can negotiate a better deal by emailing local dealers and having them compete against each other.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/06/ ... -websites/
http://blog.autotempest.com/advice-guid ... a-new-car/
Mike

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Just email the dealer and ask. If they have an Internet sales department, start there. Try negotiating down from the quote too. Email several dealers if you have more than one in your area.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

bstevlin

Post by bstevlin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:19 pm

I used COSTCO this past spring to purchase a Honda CRV EX 2015 for my son. Their dealer came in by email with the lowest price by $50.00. However the dealer was 70 miles from his home so he purchased the car from a local dealer for $50 more and the usual car dealer hi-jinx. I asked for a quote from the COSTCO dealer for quotes on other Honda models for myself. They were $800 to $1000 higher. I recommend you at least try them. I spoke to the COSTCO dealer by phone and communicated by email. They were straight up and forth right with me. You may or may not get the lowest price. For a $1000 saving I will spend a Saturday morning wrestling in the mud with a car dealer. The long and the short is if the price is right I will go with a COSTCO dealer. I will not pay $1000 extra to a car dealer to be nice to me.
Last edited by bstevlin on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:23 pm

We had a much different experience two years ago, dealer quickly emailed price of specific vehicle we were interested in and answered follow up questions quickly by email, as well. Did not end up using the Costco program as dealer was too far away.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Tried them years ago with bad results. Not surprised things haven't changed. Not everything at Costco is good, and sadly more and more of the services good for customers have been lost and more things good for the bottom line have taken over. This is one of their profitable ventures and member benefit is at the bottom. Guess it's good for stockholders too.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

I never used them but I did read this article on Bloomberg regarding their auto service.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -the-metal
Costco makes no money on the auto sales. It offers discounted vehicles to attract members and keep existing ones paying the club’s $55 annual fee. “Their primary, overwhelming interest is members’ willingness to join and renew,” says John Rand, senior vice president for retail insights at Kantar Retail. “The filter by which they do anything is, ‘What do my members think?’ ”

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:29 pm

I used them to buy my 2005 Honda Pilot - long time ago. Their price was the lowest by far (about $1000 cheaper than most dealers without negotiating) in the Chicagoland area at the time. Have not tried recently - thanks for the info...

hoeboe

Post by hoeboe » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I purchased a 2014 Mazda3 (2.5l grand touring hatchback) back in March 2014. I submitted an inquiry through the Costco program as well as emailed all the local dealerships.

The "Costco Sanctioned" quote was $24693 and several dealers were willing to go for that. My emailing landed me the exact same car for $23551. As I further negotiated via email, I got them to include window tinting for the same price. Not a huge deal, but it would cost $150 or so.

The $23551 price was more than $1500 below the Trucar price and obviously more than $1000 lower than the Costco price. No haggling. Other dealers said the price was impossible. Their loss.

I am a huge Costco fan and getting a quote through them is a good way to establish a price ceiling. However, after this experience, I'd do the same and do the email blitz for the best price.

jbuzolich

Re: Costco auto buying service is USELESS!

Post by jbuzolich » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:52 pm

We bought my wife's 2010 highlander through the program and loved it. Price was about $500 less that what I had expected as average price and I loved not having to stress about the process. I hate dealing with car dealerships and never want to spend any time there. Maybe I could have saved a few bucks but I loved the set pricing and the ability to deal with fleet manager and move quickly.

It would be nice if they displayed the price list after you made your referral inquiry.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:35 am

Perhaps consider giving your feedback to Costco. Perhaps if enough people did that,they might reconsider their process.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:45 am

inbox788 wrote:Tried them years ago with bad results. Not surprised things haven't changed. Not everything at Costco is good, and sadly more and more of the services good for customers have been lost and more things good for the bottom line have taken over. This is one of their profitable ventures and member benefit is at the bottom. Guess it's good for stockholders too.
I tried using Costco's auto service and also found it useless. I also tried using trucar or something like that from consumers and it was also bad.

it's a bit a puzzle. my takeaway is that the car dealership system we have in the US is so fundamentally flawed and stacked against the consumer that even good outfits like costco and consumer reports are not able to help.

my next car will be a tesla.
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:33 pm

You may want to try truecar. https://www.truecar.com

They power most of the auto buying services (USAA, Amex, etc). I've used them a bunch of times. What these car buying services are good at is getting you down to a much better starting point. Then from there you can still negotiate a little further. But it saves a lot of time and hassle. And it's free.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

FinTruth

Post by FinTruth » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:46 pm

I have now tried it twice. Once in 2006, buying a honda cr-v. The dealer was willing to meet a costco price that was pretty decent, but wanted me to purchase all sorts of addons (window etching, roof rack, blah blah) and claimed there was no way to get one without all these addons. I called costco to complain, they told me that the dealer is allowed to do this. I found another dealer, willing to beat the costco price, threw in the roof rack and a few addons as well. It came out significantly cheaper.

The second time was recently. I sent in the info online, was called by the dealer. They wouldnt tell me the price over the phone, and starting playing games, telling me the wrong invoice price, fessing up to getting that wrong, and then continually asking me to come in. I think they were surprised that I never returned their calls after this.

I wouldnt expect the program to have the cheapest prices, but I would expect it to keep me from having to play these games. If I can't get a price over the phone and have to deal with dealer games, why would I bother with this?

(P.S., i am huge costco proponent for pretty much everything else, just not buying a car...)

grok87

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:16 pm

FinTruth wrote:I have now tried it twice. Once in 2006, buying a honda cr-v. The dealer was willing to meet a costco price that was pretty decent, but wanted me to purchase all sorts of addons (window etching, roof rack, blah blah) and claimed there was no way to get one without all these addons. I called costco to complain, they told me that the dealer is allowed to do this. I found another dealer, willing to beat the costco price, threw in the roof rack and a few addons as well. It came out significantly cheaper.

The second time was recently. I sent in the info online, was called by the dealer. They wouldnt tell me the price over the phone, and starting playing games, telling me the wrong invoice price, fessing up to getting that wrong, and then continually asking me to come in. I think they were surprised that I never returned their calls after this.

I wouldnt expect the program to have the cheapest prices, but I would expect it to keep me from having to play these games. If I can't get a price over the phone and have to deal with dealer games, why would I bother with this?

(P.S., i am huge costco proponent for pretty much everything else, just not buying a car...)
+1

Johno

Post by Johno » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:48 pm

FinTruth wrote:

That was also my experience trying Costco for car in 2009. The dealer wanted to play games, in that case if was refusing to negotiate the Costco price and giving me an obviously terrible (as proven by the deal I eventually did with another no-Costco program dealer) trade in price to try to claw back some of limited discount in the Costco price. If I'd *had* to buy from that dealer and was willing to put a lot of negotiating effort in perhaps I could have moved them off one or both those positions, but the bottom line was that the Costco program put me in a worse initial negotiating position than if I'd just walked in without it, but w/ the same knowledge of prices.

I found in contrast that Truecar (2014) helped me. Three dealers were willing to play ball, and one of them had a clearly quite good price I could find without going there, good enough to basically take with a bit more minor negotiating.

But I'm sure it varies with case and over time in general. And nobody should set up and knock down the strawman that any of these services will drop the best car deal in history right in your lap. Nobody is saying that. If you're willing to spend a lot of time and effort, and perhaps compromise on getting the exact car you want v the one the most anxious to sell deal specifically wants to sell, of course you do at least a little better than the first number you get from any of these. Just saying, in my anecdotal experience TC yielded me multiple quotes, transparently, one of which was quite good off the bat. Costco was a more opaque process where one guy showed me a significantly less attractive price (different time, different car) and then wanted to play games.

Likewise, in general Costco is my favorite retailer, no contest.

edge

Post by edge » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:37 pm

This 'service' is lame. It makes you bait for the dealers to anchor the price where they want it and then jerk you around with options upgrades.

The dynamic of car buying is simple. They have product they want to move off their lots and they want to book sales to get their bonus. That is really the pressure that exists in the discussion. Why people fall prey to silly games that reverse the situation is a mystery to me.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:57 am

edge wrote:This 'service' is lame. It makes you bait for the dealers to anchor the price where they want it and then jerk you around with options upgrades.

The dynamic of car buying is simple. They have product they want to move off their lots and they want to book sales to get their bonus. That is really the pressure that exists in the discussion. Why people fall prey to silly games that reverse the situation is a mystery to me.
well the trouble is people buy cars infrequently- say every 5 years. the sales people sell cars all day long. so you are at a disadvantage.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:05 am

We used the Costco program to buy 1 car and are happy getting what we believe was a decent price.

+1 for car dealers having an advantage. Car dealers have information about costs and are
professional negotiators. Even if you are a professional negotiator at work, without their cost information you are at a disadvantage.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:18 am

darrellr wrote:We used the Costco program to buy 1 car and are happy getting what we believe was a decent price.

+1 for car dealers having an advantage. Car dealers have information about costs and are
professional negotiators. Even if you are a professional negotiator at work, without their cost information you are at a disadvantage.
A professional negotiator at work doesn't know cost or budget information either (on the other side of the negotiation.)

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:42 am

hoeboe wrote:I purchased a 2014 Mazda3 (2.5l grand touring hatchback) back in March 2014. I submitted an inquiry through the Costco program as well as emailed all the local dealerships.

The "Costco Sanctioned" quote was $24693 and several dealers were willing to go for that. My emailing landed me the exact same car for $23551. As I further negotiated via email, I got them to include window tinting for the same price. Not a huge deal, but it would cost $150 or so.

The $23551 price was more than $1500 below the Trucar price and obviously more than $1000 lower than the Costco price. No haggling. Other dealers said the price was impossible. Their loss.

I am a huge Costco fan and getting a quote through them is a good way to establish a price ceiling. However, after this experience, I'd do the same and do the email blitz for the best price.
I had a similar experience to your with TrueCar - my final price was around $1400 less than the TrueCar quote. Buying services can get you a decent price but not necessarily the lowest price in all cases, so be aware of that going in.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:05 pm

I used the Costco service for one car. I went to the dealership, not thinking anything about using Costco. I found a car, we started negotiating price, and I found out that the dealer insisted on selling the model that I was interested in for more than list (it was a popular model at the time). I draw the line at paying more than the sticker, so I started walking out. The saleswoman chases me down and says "Wait! Are you a Costco member? We're a Costco dealer. You can get this for the Costco price when the fleet manager comes in tomorrow." The fleet manager quoted a price that was $1000 below list (on a $15k car).

I figure that one transaction paid for my Costco membership for 20 years. Every car since then, I've bought from my credit union's buying service. Decent prices, without the hassle. I figure out what I want, and the car buyer calls around, finds the car, and tellls me how much it will cost.

SamB

Post by SamB » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:53 pm

I use the USAA buying service. You can see the price immediately, and you do not have to trigger the dealer notification. The real advantage of this immediate feedback is that you can track the prices throughout the year. You can also change zip codes to see the price fluctuation. Depending on inventories and demand there is a huge monthly price fluctuation. Prices are generally the worst when the cars are on sale, which is accompanied by an aggressive sales campaign.

Gambler

Post by Gambler » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:54 pm

SamB wrote:I use the USAA buying service. You can see the price immediately, and you do not have to trigger the dealer notification. The real advantage of this immediate feedback is that you can track the prices throughout the year. You can also change zip codes to see the price fluctuation. Depending on inventories and demand there is a huge monthly price fluctuation. Prices are generally the worst when the cars are on sale, which is accompanied by an aggressive sales campaign.
unfortunately, im not a usaa member :(
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:44 pm

SamB wrote:I use the USAA buying service. You can see the price immediately, and you do not have to trigger the dealer notification. The real advantage of this immediate feedback is that you can track the prices throughout the year. You can also change zip codes to see the price fluctuation. Depending on inventories and demand there is a huge monthly price fluctuation. Prices are generally the worst when the cars are on sale, which is accompanied by an aggressive sales campaign.
thanks- that does sound useful.

edge

Post by edge » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:09 pm

There is a somewhat simple solution to the information asymmetry issue. Avoid committing to a price and just express unhappiness with whatever price they are naming. They will lower the price. If it gets to the point where the salesguy is furious you should be in good shape. They spend most of their day with easy targets. They will fold to move product or they will give up and send you to the fleet manager who will close a deal quickly.

Obviously get whatever price info ahead of time that you can get. It also helps if you can be cold blooded during the process.
tibbitts wrote:
darrellr wrote:We used the Costco program to buy 1 car and are happy getting what we believe was a decent price.

A professional negotiator at work doesn't know cost or budget information either (on the other side of the negotiation.)

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:08 am

edge wrote:There is a somewhat simple solution to the information asymmetry issue. Avoid committing to a price and just express unhappiness with whatever price they are naming. They will lower the price. If it gets to the point where the salesguy is furious you should be in good shape.
i agree with that but it's a shame we have to go through all that emotionally just to purchase a standard off-the-shelf consumer item like a car. One would expect the process to be easier. I blame the auto-dealer system enshrined in state law.

one would expect intense emotional negotiating to be involved with say the purchase of large, one-of-a-kind item. like a small business or a house.

my next car will be a TESLA.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 am

Weird in 2012 when I used the Costco service they provided the price right on my mobile phone. Shame they've changed it.

sigmadave_2000

Post by sigmadave_2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 pm

:confused I asked CostCo if this was just a referral service where the dealers kick back a fee to CostCo and the person I was talking to told me that they do not know how it works.
I asked if I could have the price of the used car before I went into the dealership. The first dealer was clear. The answer was NO. The saleswoman explained that they compete with other dealerships and they don't want me to print out their price to another dealership and ask them to do better. The dealerships of this brand apparently have some sort of agreement about not competing on the actual price they will accept. There website prices seem to be inflated.

For used cars, there is not one CostCo price, but according to the CostCo rep, their price cannot be more than advertised.

I contacted a different CostCo Dealer who gave me prices on the internet, but they seemed high.

I purchased a Certified used car from a Non CostCo that just gave me a good price over the internet. Much better than the deal at the official CostCo Dealer.

I fail to see the value of CostCo Car buying program for Used Cars. The CostCo buyers program just seems like a way to drive traffic into the Dealership.
Last edited by sigmadave_2000 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 am

I use usaa to see the price to give me a ballpark. Then I email all the internet sales departments of dealers within 100 miles. Then I play them off each other. I try to time my purchase at month end in the fall when they are getting rid of last years cars. I never call or go into the dealer until the OTD (out the door) price is confirmed by the dealer. Always ask for OTD price to be able to compare all dealers. I don’t worry about distance from the dealer. I can usually get them to deliver to my house for no charge. I can always get warranty work done at local dealer. If a dealer asks me to call or doesn’t give me the OTD price I drop them. I have always had at least 2-3 dealers willing to negotiate.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:04 am

sigmadave_2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 pm
:confused I asked CostCo if this was just a referral service where the dealers kick back a fee to CostCo and the person I was talking to told me that they do not know how it works.

I called the official dealer told me that they take $2,500 off of the official sticker price for CostCo members. But that was just for new cars. Is that may not be the best deal. A lot of these cars are highly marked up to start with. Seems like about what everyone negotiates off.
welcome to the forum.

I agree. It is sad to see Costco doing this useless program. I am a big costco fan and this just besmirches by association all their other programs and services. it makes me less likely to consider costco for travel or whatever else they offer.

hopefully someone from costco reads this and improves or drops the program.

cheers,
grok

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am

My Father tried to use them. He complained at the dealer the price seemed high compared to prices he got at other dealers (not using Costco). The salesman said, well that's the Costco price. If we don't use that we can make a better deal.

The Costco program is for people that don't want to negotiate or are bad at it or don't want to run around to multiple dealers. Others on this forum seem to do well soliciting prices via email, but I didn't' really have great luck with that. Dealers know they aren't going to make money that way.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:25 am

The Costco negotiated prices is only a starting point. There is nothing that prevents you from negotiating further. As I understand it, the amount of discount varies depending on the car you are buying. The negotiated price is a discount from, or an addition to, the invoice price, not a discount from MSRP. The dealer is required to show you the invoice price. Costco follows up with the buyers to make sure that the dealers are keeping their end of the agreement. I have used the service twice with success both times. If you are also trading in a car, then you need to negotiate the offer for the trade-in.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:53 pm

I am an absolutely TERRIBLE negotiator and I beat the Costco deal twice.

Once I went in on the last day of the month following the Costco protocol. That ended up mearly being a starting point. I got up and walked out twice mainly because of the high pressure sales pitch I could not take and the price kept coming down. Turns out they were overstocked on this model and the color we wanted and they had not met their sales goal for the month either.

Same protocol with another vehicle. We drove the vehicle then sat down to go over the numbers. They offered to let us take the car out without a salesperson so we did. We stopped by a market and picked up a Saturday paper and there was a ad from a competing dealership that was below the Costco price. We presented the ad and they matched it.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Cars vary in price based upon options. Prices from 1 dealership to another may not be apples tp apples based upon options.

togb

Post by togb » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't think there is any service that will totally handle the work of buying a vehicle at a fair price. I used the Costco program for my last two vehicles, as well as doing some other research (consumer reports) to see what my price should be. But then I go to the dealer, knowing exactly what I want, and what I will pay. I tell them I have 45 minutes to get this done, and be on my way. I typically require certain features, and tell them straight up I won't pay for anything else that happens to be on the vehicle. And that my price is the bottom line, not something to which you add tax or little fees. I typically tell them that my first choice is XYZ color but give them one or two options that will also be acceptable, so they have soom room to find the right vehicle.

On my last purchase, they came back with a price that was not acceptable, and took 25 of their 45 minutes to do so. I told them they had just wasted their time and mine, and they should be embarrassed because that price was 4K higher than the offer I turned down in (nearby town) which had led me to this dealer. I told them to bring my car around, so I could be on my way.

At 35 minutes, no car, so I got testy. The sales manager came over and apologized, and had a new offer, and my price was there-- but not the bottom line total. By this time I told him he had four minutes, and had best just correct it in his handwriting and there was no time to rerun it thought the computer. He did so and I bought the car.

The thing is they are trained to play games and wear you down. You really have to put on your big girl panties and play hard ball. And I have found it helpful to tell them there is a time limit, that I have to be back at work for a meeting. I dread it, but I can do this when I need to.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:28 pm

We used the Costco program to purchase a top of the line Toyota Highlander in 2011, and the price was less than at any other dealer, and we didn't pay for any of the non-requested items that were already on the vehicle. However, this dealer no longer participates in the Costco program.

However, we haggled for an hour over the value of our trade-in, until we got the price we wanted.

My husband likes buying cars.....I hate it.

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Most options are in packages now, so actually easier to check across dealers.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Ford X-Plan is a specified price right on the invoice, $100 max paperwork fee. Anyone can get it, join Experimental Aircraft Association if you have no other option.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:08 am

It's not useless, it is created for people who don't want to fight for a good price. These buyers will settle for a 'decent' price and avoid haggling. Much like truecar. You can likely achieve a better price by shopping directly with the internet sales departments of your local dealers but it takes a little work. There is a huge thread on this topic.

At certain times Costco runs promotions with specific manufacturers (eg. Volvo) and allows one to stack rebates & discounts. Then the program becomes unbeatable.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:20 am

Gnirk wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:28 pm
My husband likes buying cars.....I hate it.
This is the key to understanding all of these threads about buying cars. Some of us enjoy haggling with dealers. Some of us hate it. The advice given in the individual posts applies to one group or the other.

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 am

Of course it's useless. With minimal effort, just calling and emailing the dealers in one's area (or maybe 1-2 hours away), one can easily beat all these pricing services by a couple of thousands. The reason they exist is simply to make people think that a high price is a good deal.

By the way, CR's pricing service is as worthless as Costco's, hence I literally stop subscribing to the magazine. All these organizations kowtow to profits and car dealers, ahead of their customers' interests, which is especially disgusting for CR, the company who possibly invented the (fair) car pricing service.

Btw, Costco had better fix their issues, or they are going to lose customers big time. As years pass, I find their membership less and less valuable.

harrington

Post by harrington » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 am

So is True Car....

Socrates28

I used USAA service to price a Suburu in spring

Post by Socrates28 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 am

as others said, it was a nice starting point and a way to understand the negotiating process. Hard to gauge the invoice price as it seems manipulated, but Edmunds and the car buying service help lock that down. I continued to negotiate after that with accessories which you often have to pay to add and can be very expensive. The car buying service through USAA is free like many other places.