Best Counter Depth Refrigerator to buy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vginvestor

Best Counter Depth Refrigerator to buy

Post by vginvestor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Hello Folks,

We are looking to purchase a counter-depth refrigerator to replace our existing Kenmore fridge - french door (3 door), bottom freezer, stainless steel finish. Due to the limited cabinet space, we are restricted to a counter-depth fridge.

Here are the dimensions and features -
Width - standard (can go upto 36'')
Depth - 30" but could go to 31'' (this includes the handle)
Height - Max 70"
External ice-dispenser is optional - if one comes within our price range, we'll gladly take it.

Could you please recommend any great value counter-depth refrigerators (model #s if possible) that comes with some of the new features (dual evaporator, etc.) but is reasonable in price? Should we wait till the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales if there are any good sales at that period? Is it possible to get a good one for close to $2k? Also, what appliance stores (local or online) would you recommend that we buy from?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations!

littlebird

Re: Best Counter Depth Refrigerator to buy

Post by littlebird » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:32 pm

I can't answer any of your specific Q's, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with my Kenmore counter depth fridge, which is about 5 years old. No complaints so far (but I did have the ice maker removed prophylactically).

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:33 pm

We replaced our 10-year-old KitchenAid counter-depth fridge whose compressor failed (KA and Kenmore are both Whirlpool siblings) with a Samsung RS22HDHPNBC/AA. I won't get into all of its feature details because this particular model may not suit you. But the price was right from AJ Madison (ajmadison.com), and it shipped free and promptly, and sales tax-free. It came with a defective icemaker, but Samsung dispatched a local authorized service dealer (with whom we were already familiar) who replaced it promptly. No complaints.

This is not my first use of AJ Madison. I've ordered several appliances from them as have extended family doing kitchen renovations and needing entire complements of kitchen appliances. Their prices are competitive and the delivery to your door without sales tax (unless you live in New York State) are nice bonuses.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:45 pm

We just bought the Samsung a few weeks ago, with the "showcase" door. It was around $2200 on sale for counter depth. We probably looked at every 36" wide counter depth in the US market and ended up with this one based on a range of features specific to us. They might not apply to you.

1) we prefer side-by-side for our usage mode
2) we wanted ice maker and door ice dispenser
3) we liked the ice maker in freezer door which seems to leave more conveniently accessible freezer space
4) the showcase door design, combined with counter depth, keeps more stuff on the "front row" for access
5) controls and ice/water dispenser seemed more intuitive to us than some

cons:
1) price (all relative, of course)
2) not a lot of flexibility in shelf heights (but what is there works well for us)
3) small ice bin, might not keep up with a summer crowd

daveatca

none

Post by daveatca » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Just say no.
Hate ours.
Whirlpool side by side with in-door water/ice dispenser.

vginvestor

Post by vginvestor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks all for the inputs and suggestions.

We are leaning towards Samsung RF23HCEDBSR as it seems to have all the features that we need at a reasonable price. Any thoughts on this one? I'll look at the other Samsung models suggested.

How about LG, Kenmore Elite, Electrolux?

Thanks!

WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 pm

We have a JennAir going on 10 years trouble free. It cost around $1100 from a Sears scatch-and-dent store (small dent on the side, hidden by cabinets). It's a fridge/freezer side-by-side model with ice-maker but no door dispenser.

Parents have a Samsung and it's been serviced 3 times in as a many years. That's a fridge on top, freezer on bottom. No icemaker.

Post by 123 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:10 pm

About 4 years ago we bought a Kenmore Elite counter depth model number #4542 (the Kenmore version of Whirlpool Model #GC3SHAXVY). The Whirlpool was about $2,000 but the Kenmore was on sale for about $1,550 back then for Memorial Day. Prices for appliances should be lower at Thanksgiving, from my price tracking I think that Thanksgiving probably has the best price/availability for appliances like refrigerators. We haven't had any problems or issues with the refrigerator at all, it's worked like a charm (knock on wood).

With counter-depth refrigerators the options are a lot fewer. I recall from my past research that finding a model that "fits" can be an issue. Some of the counter-depth models can be an inch or two taller then standard size refrigerators, they really vary. I had to find a model in a store and take a lot of measurements myself since I was concerned with fit and it wasn't always clear what some of the measurements in the manuals actually represented. I recall that I was particularly concerned with the way the door hinges worked since that could impact the space necessary to open the doors (one side of our refrigerator opens against a wall). Of course how far you can open the doors also impacts how easy it is to take out the shelves and bins inside the refrigerator for cleaning and adjustments.

Good luck!
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:11 pm

WaffleCone, JennAir is a Whirlpool sibling also. Our KitchenAid ran with no problems for a little over 10 years, then suddenly it died. We felt that it should have lasted longer than that, but several appliance repairmen concurred that we had pretty much ridden the train to the end of its line.

We researched several brands and learned that LG and Samsung were the up and comers. So we bit. 18 months now on our Samsung with no problems. Knock wood.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 am

We got the Samsung Model # RS22HDHPNS about half a year ago. Did some research on Consumer Reports and the web to pick it. Home Depot seems to have it on sale right now (that's where we got it). So far we are happy with it, but obviously six months isn't long enough to make longevity predictions.

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:19 am

I've had a Maytag Ice2o counter depth French door since '07 and have been very pleased. It was around $2200.
As with all counter depth models the space front to back is limited, but that is the nature of the design.
As we also have a second fridge in our family room/dog kitchen, surplus Thanksgiving foods can go there but if I was relying on the one counter depth I would run out of room over the holidays.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:47 pm

We have the Kenmore Elite model and like it. The only drawback is that it is made by LG so you have to make sure you have service people in your area. Many in our area don't work on LG because they are hard to get parts for. We found that out when our old Kenmore Elite got taken out with a lightening surge and they ended up totaling it out insurance wise to get another one. I put a surge protected outlet where it plugs in and have been very happy with the replacement one.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:54 pm

vginvestor wrote:Hello Folks,

We are looking to purchase a counter-depth refrigerator to replace our existing Kenmore fridge - french door (3 door), bottom freezer, stainless steel finish. Due to the limited cabinet space, we are restricted to a counter-depth fridge.

Height - Max 70"
External ice-dispenser is optional - if one comes within our price range, we'll gladly take it.

Could you please recommend any great value counter-depth refrigerators (model #s if possible) that comes with some of the new features (dual evaporator, etc.) but is reasonable in price? Should we wait till the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales if there are any good sales at that period? Is it possible to get a good one for close to $2k? Also, what appliance stores (local or online) would you recommend that we buy from?

Are you sure you want 30-31" depth? The usual counter-top is only 24-25".

piperkub

Post by piperkub » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Please consider the looks of a counter depth frig is great, but as many have noted the added expense, lack of flexibility and most of all lack of room all seem to detract from it. I now have two refrigerators where I once had one. In my new counter depth frig I can't get a large turkey in one, limited beer wine access, ice maker is limited, no tall jars or large juice containers in a counter depth. All of that goes into my old frig in the laundry room that we use more than anything. I did install a Jenn Aire three door in the kitchen and it looks great, but to get a sandwich and glass of wine I have to go to the laundry room. You just don't realize how important the depth of the frig is until you loose it.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:07 pm

We purchased the LG French Door counter depth model based on Consumer Reports recommendation. Major mistake, this fridge is really loud, a lot louder than our old Kenmore side by side. The new linear compressors run pretty much nonstop. Also we had to replace the defroster module within the first 3 months, it was officially recalled so it didn't cost us anything except a day off of work waiting for the repair guy and a lot of wasted food due to the manual defrost we had to perform. Would not recommend the LG based on our experience.

vginvestor

Post by vginvestor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:17 pm

earlyout wrote:
vginvestor wrote:Hello Folks,

Height - Max 70"

Are you sure you want 30-31" depth? The usual counter-top is only 24-25".
I meant 30-31" width that includes the door and the handle. The standard counter-depth width (without the door and handles) is 24"

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

In a recent topic, counter depth refrigerator was not recommended. Instead recommended to recess back wall 3" and use standard refrigerator. Another reply said simpler refrigerators more trouble-free than complex ones.

See/search topic: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=176748&newpost=2678259
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Steven in NC

Post by Steven in NC » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 pm

That AJ Madison site is very nice...thanks for posting it.

We are looking at going with an all refridgerator and an all freezer. I think that precludes ice maker / water though but having the extra room will be nice. We will move our existing french door into the laundry/garage for backup.

GoFish

Post by GoFish » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Had a GE counter depth. Hated it. I mean really hated it. Couldn't regulate it's temperature. Half the stuff was frozen, half was warm.

Now have LG standard depth and am very pleased with it.

Jim

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:19 pm

dratkinson wrote:In a recent topic, counter depth refrigerator was not recommended. Instead recommended to recess back wall 3" and use standard refrigerator. Another reply said simpler refrigerators more trouble-free than complex ones.

See/search topic: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=176748&newpost=2678259
My thoughts exactly. Not so hard to bump a non-load bearing wall back 3-4", maybe turn the studs flat-ways. Didn't fly with the missus. +$600 or so for a smaller fridge. :oops: You wouldn't think 3" or so would make much of a difference, but I run into a pan or a turkey or ... not fitting so well all the time. Don't forget that with modern fridges the "gallon storage" door trays go quite aways into the compartment.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:05 pm

We bought an LG counter depth over a year ago and so far so good. I agree with prvious poster that newer model LG and samsung have great reputation. Take your meaasurements and look at the spec sheets. I also agree waiting until black friday to purchase.

Sleepy

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:06 pm

I purchased an LG counter depth french door fridge 5 years ago and have been happy with it. Items no longer get lost in the back as they had with previous refrigerators. While I think the counter depth is great, next fridge will be counter depth side by side. I hate the freezer on the bottom.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Purchased a Kenmore (rebranded LG) french door bottom freezer counter depth fridge in 2007. It's been trouble-free.

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:58 pm

vginvestor wrote:We are looking to purchase a counter-depth refrigerator to replace our existing Kenmore fridge - french door (3 door), bottom freezer, stainless steel finish. Due to the limited cabinet space, we are restricted to a counter-depth fridge.

Counter depth, AKA built-in refrigerators, are 24" deep. Always. Think Sub-Zero (although many others make them these days, SZ was 1st).

30" is not counter depth. Measure your cabinets, they'll be 24" deep +-.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:12 am

Bengineer wrote:Not so hard to bump a non-load bearing wall back 3-4", maybe turn the studs flat-ways. Didn't fly with the missus.
This is funny. Is your name Red Green? What's on the other side of that wall?

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:24 am

Ninnie wrote:
Bengineer wrote:Not so hard to bump a non-load bearing wall back 3-4", maybe turn the studs flat-ways. Didn't fly with the missus.
In my case my back yard.
Not so easy.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:02 am

HoopDiddyDiddy wrote:
Ninnie wrote:
In my case my back yard.
Not so easy.
Ha! I hadn't heard of Red Green. I think I am going to have to go and watch some of the shows.

You could just cover the hole to the back yard with some plastic & duct tape... :D

Backup plan: Go with a regular depth fridge & claim "it's supposed to stick out 4" so the doors can open all the way"? :D

Seriously, in our case the wall was an internal non-load bearing partition next to a hall with no wiring or plumbing in it. What galled me about getting a counter-depth fridge was having far fewer choices that all cost a good bit more than similar standard depth ones. Less was more!

mkc

Post by mkc » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:11 pm

TravelGeek wrote:We got the Samsung Model # RS22HDHPNS about half a year ago. Did some research on Consumer Reports and the web to pick it. Home Depot seems to have it on sale right now (that's where we got it). So far we are happy with it, but obviously six months isn't long enough to make longevity predictions.
We have its predecessor, RSG257AARS, in our motorhome and have had it for 2 years now. Seems to have equal to or better laid out storage (despite the lower capacity claim) than the 48" Monogram we have in the sticks n' bricks. It's handled bouncing across the country for 2 years now without a hiccup. Many friends have the 18 cu. ft. French door Samsung (32" wide) in their coaches with even more years on the road and no issues (Samsung is one of the few brands that will honor the warranty even if it's installed in an RV). Next fridge we need for the house will be a Samsung.

Michelle