Whisky Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
thomasbayarea

Re: Whisky Recommendations

Post by thomasbayarea » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Here you go -->

Trader Joe's 10 year highland single malt (it's better than the 18 year speyside)

autonomy

Post by autonomy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:07 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:Sorry, but I am going to try and gently push you past your $1.00 per ounce criterion:

Talisker 10 year
Glenkinchie 12 year
Lagavulin 16 year

All are utterly delicious Scottish single malts (Macallan's 12 year ain't a bad back-up choice).
Sir, I like the cut off your jib! I have not tried Glenkinchie, but the rest are all my favorites, so I guess Glenkinchie goes on my to try list.
I would also say Bowmore is good for the price. Highland Park, when I'm in the mood for something light. A new found fan of Crown Royal too.

I disagree with whoever said that once you go single malt, you'll never go back. I don't care for cognac, but love a good bourbon like Maker's or Knob Creek. Stay away from Rebel Yell bourbon or Trader Joe's 10 year single malt, though their $15 bourbon is great for the price.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Old Overholt Rye. (A Beam brand) IMO smoother and cheaper than Beam Rye. Straight.
Bourbon is too sweet for me.
If only for mix drinks or for getting a small buzz, any cheap whiskey will do. :annoyed :beer
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm mostly a bourbon drinker. Good value bourbons for your money: Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Makers, Knob Creek.

If you want something smooth, give Basil Hayden a try. I love that stuff.

I don't like mixing bourbon with coke or sprite, but if I do it's usually with cheap Jack Daniels or Jim beam and it's usually in a football stadium at a SEC game...

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:32 pm

rbrown599 wrote:I'm more of a bourbon guy, and I typically only drink them neat, so here's some recommendations based on what I rave about to my other bourbon-drinking friends. Sorry, not sure on the $ / oz pricing.

1. Willett Pot Still Reserve (This is very complex. I pour neat and let it sit for 5 minutes. The tasting profile changes DRAMATICALLY, similar to a wine experiencing bottle shock. Straight out of the bottle, the nose is spicy and tense. Give it 5 minutes and you'll notice smooth caramel and oatmeal. That's when you know it's ready to sip.)
2. Basil Hayden (This is what I give someone as their "Neat Starter Bourbon." So easy to drink.)
4. Woodford Reserve
3. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
4. Jefferson's Ocean: Aged at Sea
5. Four Roses Single Barrel
6. Blanton's Original Single Barrel (Good luck finding this one; I think the 2015 batch has been exhausted.)
7. E.H. Taylor Small Batch
8. Booker's (This will kick you in the mouth)

I keep a bottle of Marker's Mark and Bulleit in the cabinet, but barely touch them. Maker's is for the guests and Bulleit is for the occasional Old Fashioned. Not a fan of Angel's Envy; Pappy is overrated; and I stay away from Jim Beam.
Solid recommendations. I think we have the same taste buds.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 pm

^^^ I'm primarily a bourbon drinker and have had most of those. That's a good list.

Likewise, I was not impressed with Angel's Envy. My husband got it for me because the bottle was in the shape of an Angel wing. I didn't keep the bottle. I also was not impressed with the last time I tried Pappy.

I also like Scotch (the real "whisky"). For mixed blends, you can't beat Johnny Walker Blue. For single malts, Highland Park.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 pm

Many good recommendations here. While you can't call it Scotch, because Scotch in made in Scotland, I've grown extremely fond of Colkegan, distilled right here in Santa Fe.

rayout

Post by rayout » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:30 pm

It's been a while but I recall a pretty good flask of Old Grand-Dad purchased as a gag gift for a St Patty's day breakfast from my corner liquor store :P

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:22 am

JupiterJones wrote:I'd suggest George Dickel #8 or #12.
This is a good thought, too. Dickel is pretty darn palatable for what it is.

JT

fandango

Post by fandango » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:24 am

Jameson is the best selling in Ireland. Good balance of cost and flavor.

I drink it occasionally with a little water or go wild by drinking it in ginger ale.

BonesMcCoy

Post by BonesMcCoy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:39 am

If you like Rye, Old Overholt is, in my opinion, the best value around. Very drinkable and it works.

:sharebeer

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

Agree with others on Basil Haydens. I am also a fan of Angel's Envy on the bourbon front.

If you like Rye, I would highly recommend WhistlePig. Small, craft, distilled in VT

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:49 am

My favorites for occasion

Bourbon neat or on ice: knob creek, basil Hayden, wood ford reserve

Bourbon for mixing: booker's at 63% alcohol. Just great with a small amount of ginger ale.

Islay scotch: lagavulin 16

Highland scotch: Dalmore 15 my wife and I drink the neat and out most often go to scotch.

My advice try them all and see what you like.

I buy by the 1/2 case to cut costs: Dalmore and bookers.

oc4boxer

Post by oc4boxer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:03 pm

There are some good recommendations in this thread.

I'll recommend not buying any of the white whiskey which is a thing now. It just tastes like alcohol. You don't get any of the delicious smokiness of a whiskey.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:28 pm

autonomy wrote:
FreeAtLast wrote:Sorry, but I am going to try and gently push you past your $1.00 per ounce criterion:

Talisker 10 year
Glenkinchie 12 year
Lagavulin 16 year

All are utterly delicious Scottish single malts (Macallan's 12 year ain't a bad back-up choice).
Sir, I like the cut off your jib! I have not tried Glenkinchie, but the rest are all my favorites, so I guess Glenkinchie goes on my to try list.
I would also say Bowmore is good for the price. Highland Park, when I'm in the mood for something light. A new found fan of Crown Royal too.

I disagree with whoever said that once you go single malt, you'll never go back. I don't care for cognac, but love a good bourbon like Maker's or Knob Creek. Stay away from Rebel Yell bourbon or Trader Joe's 10 year single malt, though their $15 bourbon is great for the price.
I recommend Glenkinchie to Scotch drinkers every chance I get. I don't understand why it is not more well-known. It possesses the most delicate flavor of all single malts, IMHO.
BTW, save yourself some cash and buy Macallan's 12 instead of Macallan's 18. The former simply tastes better.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I am mainly a bourbon guy, but there are a couple Scotches and Canadians (Crown Royal) I like.

A surprisingly good whiskey and in most folks' budget is Wild Turkey 101... it doesn't taste like the cheap stuff you would think it would. Also, in that category is Jim Beam Devils Cut... surprisingly good.

Booker's is at the top of my list also... Mmmm!! But, not a budget whiskey and careful with that stuff. As mentioned, it's potent... but sooo good!

westcoast

Post by westcoast » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:40 pm

I like Jameson and crown royal, both excellent on the nose and finish. The price is good too.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Dewars 12 year. Sold at Trader Joes for $21 a bottle. Very smooth and good! :sharebeer

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:40 pm

I will echo some opinions to "upvote" some brands:

Bourbon:
Woodford Reserve or George Dickel. (Also, who can resist offering some to a group and asking, "Who wants a little of my Dickel?" Ok, no, no I am not usually that crass, but it is a whisky joke that I felt like I could share with anonymous strangers on the internet. It happens to be my only whisky joke.

Scotch:
Glenlivet 12 year is a standard in my house. I drink it on Tuesdays just as well as the weekend. I save the fancier stuff for when friends are over. I currently have 3 bottles of it. (As a boglehead, I stock up on all things when they are on sale: soap, toilet paper, whisky...)
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:48 pm

autonomy wrote:Stay away from Rebel Yell bourbon
Rebel Yell bourbon was GREAT when I was in college... for those parties where everyone wanted whisky and coke in 1/2 and 1/2 proportions. Cheap, and a 1.75 covered about 20% of the alcohol for the party in one bottle.

Then I grew up.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Van

Post by Van » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:59 pm

Jack Daniels or, if you want something a little smoother, Gentleman Jack.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Dulocracy wrote:I will echo some opinions to "upvote" some brands:Bourbon:
Woodford Reserve or George Dickel. (Also, who can resist offering some to a group and asking, "Who wants a little of my Dickel?" Ok, no, no I am not usually that crass, but it is a whisky joke that I felt like I could share with anonymous strangers on the internet. It happens to be my only whisky joke.
My favorite whisky "joke" is a true story from my college days. My roommate (the only one in the group over 21) and I were double-dating with a couple of girls we had not been out with before. We pulled up into the local liquor store with the intention of buying some bourbon to mix with Cokes and such (actually, where we were "Cokes" includes all soft drinks). He (always the gentleman) asked the girls if they had a preference.

We were shocked and delighted when one of the girls said:
"Ezra Brooks! Makes your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure."

I still drink Ezra Brooks occasionally because of that association :beer

Edited to get back on-topic: And I do quite enjoy it for a frugally-priced bourbon!
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:03 pm

This is not really a joke about whiskey, but rather an old (wives' maybe? ) saying from my college days.

When really contemplating on a Fri or Sat nite bender with assorted drinking on the agenda over many hours - and a perfectly normal concern over hangover effects later - prevailing wisdom was -

"Whiskey, then Beer, Never Fear "

"Beer, then Whiskey, is Risky"

Always handy to put these pearls of wisdom in rhyme - much easier to remember later :|

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:12 pm

"Please stay on topic, or I'll lock it." :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:31 pm

In a desperate effort to "stop the lock", let me mention a single malt that I do NOT recommend. That would be Oban. I gave it a fair chance and just could not deal with its bitter (to me) flavor. If you like it, then "De gustibus non desputandum est!"

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Didn't get any feedback on my query re: 'Jameson Caskmates', ... so, bought a bottle. Is actually quite nice - bit more of a rum/vanilla taste than the baseline, & the hint o' hops is interesting. Worth the premium (IMHO), tho' not likely to displace Laphroaig 10yr as my go to guzzle.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

sco

Post by sco » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 pm

drawpoker wrote:This is not really a joke about whiskey, but rather an old (wives' maybe? ) saying from my college days.

When really contemplating on a Fri or Sat nite bender with assorted drinking on the agenda over many hours - and a perfectly normal concern over hangover effects later - prevailing wisdom was -

"Whiskey, then Beer, Never Fear "

"Beer, then Whiskey, is Risky"

Always handy to put these pearls of wisdom in rhyme - much easier to remember later :|
LIquor before beer, never fear..
Beer before Liquor, never sicker..

Probably because you got bombed on the beer before you decided Jack shots were a good idea??? I don't know..

Talisker

Post by Talisker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:52 am

+1 on Talisker :happy

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:31 am

I've been liking Grangestone Highland Single Malt Scotch for more typical use and like Redbreast 12 & 15 and Jameson 18 for more special occasions.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 am

Several people have recommended Costco as a source for reasonably priced whiskey. Unfortunately I live in the Great State of Ohio where spirits have to be purchased in a limited number of state licensed liquor stores (which Costco is not) with a limited selection of brands. Can anyone tell me which is the closest state to Ohio where Costco does sell liquor?

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:54 pm

This store in NY is offering Lagavulin 16 Year on sale for only $71.95 (no affiliation).
http://www.skyviewwine.com/sku180260_LA ... YEAR-750ML
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:39 pm

There are a lot of types of whiskey, here's a few starting points. I've tried to include value as a consideration, but have made some higher priced recommendations.

Bourbon: American whiskey usually made of corn/rye/barley, but might be corn/wheat/barley and aged in new charred oak barrels. A few worth trying at different price points: Costco/Kirkland 7 year, Four Roses Yellow label, Buffalo Trace, and Larceny (this is a wheat recipe and a better value than Maker's Mark). For a smoother taste, Jack Daniels or George Dickel are basically bourbon that goes through a charcoal filtering process resulting in Tennessee Whisky. I don't know a lot about the less expensive brands, but these represent my choices on the less expensive side of the good stuff keeping in mind your preference for smooth (which is why I haven't included rye whiskeys, although Four Roses has a lot of rye in it).

Scotch: Scottish whiskey (can drop the "e" if you want, it's all the same stuff) made of malted and dried barley and usually aged in used barrels (mostly bourbon barrels, but often sherry, and other fortified wines). There are substantial differences in flavor profile by geographic region. For a "smoother" taste, Speyside & the Highlands are a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Blended bottlings, rather than single malts, are usually less expensive. Dewars is a good value choice. If you have access to a Trader Joe's, see what you think of their house brand blended Scotch or 10 year single malt. It's very inexpensive, if you like it, it would be a great value.

If you can try these single malts at a bar, see what you think: Glenlivet, Glengoyne, and Hazelburn. All are a relatively lighter style, Glenlivet is widely available at good prices. Glengoyne uses a more expensive variety of barley and doesn't use peat for drying. Hazelburn is from Campbeltown and is quite expensive, but is triple distilled like many Irish whiskeys.

I don't know much about Irish whiskeys, so I will leave those to others.

I can't help but include my personal favorites. Over time, I've focused on these rather than continually trying something new.

Four Roses single barrel (fantastic high rye bourbon value)
Weller 12 (a nice aged wheater)
Col. EH Taylor Rye (pricey, but a high rye blend not from Indiana)

Glengoyne 18 (Golden Promise barley and no peat makes for a nice contrast to other styles)
Springbank 10 (nice profile, unique region, can also try Talisker for something a little different)
Laphroaig 18 (like it better than Ardbeg, but like all Islays, the age makes the peat less prominent, delicately medicinal rather than overwhelming peat)
Highland Park 18 (nice balance of sweetness, peat, and depth)
Glendronach 15 (sometimes you need a lot of sherry, can also consider Aberlour or Gelnfarclas)
Hazelburn 12 (light yet complex flavor)

Am looking forward to Kilikerran and Kilchoman releasing fully aged products, even though I am hesitant to expand my core selections)... In the past, I would have mostly had Macallan, Highland Park, and Lagavulin, but my tastes and the Scotch market have changed over time.
Last edited by apex84 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:44 pm

As several others have mentioned, Basil Hayden's is quite good. Since this is the Bogleheads, for a value choice, Old Grand Dad bonded is worth a try. It is very good and the old school bottle and lack of marketing keep the cost down. Uses the same higher rye mashbill from Jim Beam.
Last edited by apex84 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:47 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:I recommend Glenkinchie to Scotch drinkers every chance I get. I don't understand why it is not more well-known. It possesses the most delicate flavor of all single malts, IMHO.
Can you compare this to Auchentoshan, Edradour, or Hazelburn? Always curious to learn more.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:30 pm

apex84 wrote:
FreeAtLast wrote:I recommend Glenkinchie to Scotch drinkers every chance I get. I don't understand why it is not more well-known. It possesses the most delicate flavor of all single malts, IMHO.
Can you compare this to Auchentoshan, Edradour, or Hazelburn? Always curious to learn more.
Ooops! I should have written, "....all single malts that I have personally sampled." Thanks for your recommendations and I will soon be scooting down to my neighborhood liquor store to see if they carry any of them.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am

apex84 wrote: Weller 12 (a nice aged wheater)
Can't believe it took this long for a bourbon drinker to mention Weller! I like the rest of your list as well.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Depends on the mood....
For raw oysters in New Orleans - Lagavulin 16 year old
For a good reliable single malt - The Glenlivet 18 yr old
and for some good sippin whiskey - Knob Creek
Also I like the Dirty Bird 101, i.e., Wild Turkey
Reliable and likely available in most bars The Glenlivet 12 year old....

BonesMcCoy

Post by BonesMcCoy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Also, Old Scout. It's a blended bourbon. Very smooth. Somewhat pricey though.

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Evan Williams Bourbon. No reason for anything else.

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 pm

jrtexas wrote:Evan Williams Bourbon. No reason for anything else.
It's $15 for a 750 liter at Total Wine. Wanna spend a little more, Makers Mark.
Single Malt would be Dalmore, Mccallen or Glenmorangie. Not a Blended fan.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:53 pm

jrtexas wrote:
I think you mean 750 mL.

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:04 am

Pay an extra $5 for the single barrel vintage Evan Williams! Trust me, it's worth it.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:49 pm

jrtexas wrote:
Another Dalmore fan :)
I am a big fan of Dalmore 15. We usually buy it in bulk whenever we find a sale.
I am a big fan of Mccallen 15 as well.
Will give the Glenmorangie a try next time I am at the store.

Apparently people above who like what I like also recommend talisker. Will try that one as well.

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
jrtexas wrote:
Another Dalmore fan :)
I am a big fan of Dalmore 15. We usually buy it in bulk whenever we find a sale.

Apparently people above who like what I like also recommend talisker. Will try that one as well.
Glenmorangie is cheaper, but really good

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 pm

tarheel wrote:
Pay an extra $5 for the single barrel vintage Evan Williams! Trust me, it's worth it.
I'll give it a shot

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:43 pm

EnjoyIt wrote: I am a big fan of Dalmore 15. We usually buy it in bulk whenever we find a sale.

Tread carefully! If you like Dalmore and McCallen, you'll probably like Glenmorangie. But you may or may not like Talisker. It's a (very!) peated whisky, which I love, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

That said, if you wanted to venture into the world of peat, Talisker 10 is a great place start. Another fantastic one on or about that same price range is Laphroaig Quarter-Cask.

If you want to just dip your toe in the peaty waters before spending a lot of money, I'd advise either A) buying a single dram of any Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or Ardbeg at a good bar somewhere and seeing what you think, or B) picking up a bottle of Teacher's, which is a blended scotch that has strong peat notes--if you don't like that, you'll definitely hate Talisker, et al.

Or C) buy a whole bottle and send the remainder to me if you don't like it. :P
Stay on target...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Did anyone say peat? Try the Peat Monster. It's not very complex. But, if you like peat, this is it.

My husband just gave me a bottle of Blood Oath Pact No. 1 bourbon. All of the reviews say it's great, but should be half the price. He paid list. :) I'm waiting until the weekend to try it.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:27 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
EnjoyIt wrote: I am a big fan of Dalmore 15. We usually buy it in bulk whenever we find a sale.

Tread carefully! If you like Dalmore and McCallen, you'll probably like Glenmorangie. But you may or may not like Talisker. It's a (very!) peated whisky, which I love, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

That said, if you wanted to venture into the world of peat, Talisker 10 is a great place start. Another fantastic one on or about that same price range is Laphroaig Quarter-Cask.

If you want to just dip your toe in the peaty waters before spending a lot of money, I'd advise either A) buying a single dram of any Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or Ardbeg at a good bar somewhere and seeing what you think, or B) picking up a bottle of Teacher's, which is a blended scotch that has strong peat notes--if you don't like that, you'll definitely hate Talisker, et al.

I enjoy my peaty Islays. My favorite is lagavulin 16 so far.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:46 pm

JupiterJones wrote:

I really like Macallan (12 and 18) and Glenfidich (12 and 18). I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but Laphroaig reminds me of a Civil War bandage that covered a big bleeding wound that had been soaked with iodine, aged for 150 years, dipped in vodka and served straight. In other words, really nasty. Highland Park is similar to me. Be carefull on switching from Speysides to Islays - you may have to give your purchase away to someone with a different taste preference.

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:10 pm

My Costco recommendations:
- Macallan 12 (I drink this when camping, but not when I'm home. It's the budget drink)
- Lagavulin 16 (with steaks or otherwise grilling)
- Oban (it's great whenever - it's not smoky/peaty)

Not fond of Glenfiddich or Glenlivet