Whisky Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Whisky Recommendations

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:02 pm

I've been drinking more whisky than beer recently and like smooth whisky's on the rocks. I'm a fan of Jameson but figure I'm helping pay their marketing dollars and am looking to try something new.

Any recommendations for something that's about $1 or less per ounce?
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomd37

Re: Whiskey Recommendations

Post by tomd37 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 pm

For those of us that don't know their whisky or whiskey, what is Jameson and what are you looking for. To me, whisky is scotch! But then I believe there is rye and bourbon and maybe others.
Tom D.

Blueskies123

Re: Whisky Recommendations

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:11 pm

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:21 pm

For me, the best balance of quality and price is Jim Beam Black. Tastes good with an ice cube or straight up. And if you live in a state with a low alcohol tax, you can usually find one of the big jugs for 25 bucks.

southbay

Post by southbay » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

for the best "bang for your buck" single malt scotch, i like Glenlivet 12 Year. it's currently $23.99 for 750ml at my local shop.

lately i enjoy making Manhattans with Rye Whiskey. Bulleit Rye is also pretty good bang for your buck at $21.99 a 750ml bottle.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:40 pm

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Are you looking for Irish whiskey? I'm a fan of Jameson on the rocks, and use to drink powers which is also Irish. I've switched over the mostly bourbon over the past few years. IMO the best 'cheap' ones are kirklands 'costco' brand, bulleit, or four roses.

As others have mentioned, if you are mixing it with Coke, quality makes much less of a difference.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:07 pm

Sorry, but I am going to try and gently push you past your $1.00 per ounce criterion:

Talisker 10 year
Glenkinchie 12 year
Lagavulin 16 year

All are utterly delicious Scottish single malts (Macallan's 12 year ain't a bad back-up choice).
Illegitimi non carborundum.

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:08 pm

So many to try in several price ranges. I think these are in your range.
You listed an Irish Whiskey: Jameson.
You might also try Scotch: J&B, Famous Grouse
Canadian Whiskey: Crowne Royale
Bourbon and American Whiskey: Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker

See what tastes the best to you, very subjective and tastes change over time.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:12 pm

You're going to have to narrow it down a little. Is whiskey irish, scotch, kentucky, Canadian, or ? to you. Or all of the above.

My cabinet usually has mostly Kentucky bourbons or similar. Currently, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, Bulleit, and Maker's Mark are on hand.

Depends on what you like. For Bourbons & close cousins:
  • Smoky & rough edged: Knob creek, Booker's, Bakers, Jack Daniels Black Label.
  • Sweet & malty: Maker's, Jim Beam.
  • Smooth & light: Woodford, Basil Hayden.
Bulleit Bourbon & Rye make a top shelf mixed drink - A Manhattan or Old Fashioned for example.

wingz

Post by wingz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:19 pm

In my budget there isnt anything better than Macallan 12.

Although i was a fan of Glenlivit prior.

Once you do Single Malt, you dont like anything else.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:26 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:I've been drinking more whisky than beer recently and like smooth whisky's on the rocks. I'm a fan of Jameson but figure I'm helping pay their marketing dollars and am looking to try something new.

Any recommendations for something that's about $1 or less per ounce?
Bushmills :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:34 pm

For bourbon I like Maker's Mark.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:45 pm

During my whisky explorations I tried many of the scotch's, bourbons, Irish and the rest. The one I've settled on and drink the most is Bulliet's Rye Whiskey. Cheap and tasty. I think it goes best with just a splash of water.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 pm

There is no such thing as a recommendation for whisk(e)y as tastes and preferences are all over the map and so is cost.

My present favorites of no special use to anyone Lagavulin, Talisker, and Scapa (a pretty big range in taste there) and, for a Tennesee whisk(e)y, George Dickel (again totally different from the Scotches, but I have been to the distillery which makes a nice visit to a pleasant part of Tennessee).

PS The Bulliet's is another good one.
Last edited by dbr on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Not, er, quite sure, if we are supposed to be discussing this, um, might come under the ban of, er, medical chit-chat you know, ah, liver enzymes and all ..... :sharebeer Also, already people are confusing whisky with sour-mash (like bourbon).

But, there is nothing better after a long hard day than Bailey's Irish Crème, ice cold, in a high-ball sized glass, with about 2 fingers of Jameson's Irish whisky added. Shake, don't stir. Then throw in a couple of ice cubes.

Rinse and repeat. :D

(Probably not a very masculine sort of libation, so maybe the men here will be disdainful. I understand. :wink: )

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Laphroaig Triple Wood
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Yellow Spot 12yo
And if you're feeling manly enough, Ardbeg Uigeadail.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Since you mentioned an Irish, let me suggest Redbreast. I first got it as a gift and there's nothing finer for Irish whiskey. If and when you're looking to branch out into scotches, I find Auchentoshan to be a nice first step. It's mild and approachable for a scotch. Nowadays I mostly enjoy Lagavulin, Talisker, and the like but that's not for the faint of heart. It's best to work up to it. And for what it's worth, I think this is an area where you get a lot more for your money if you are willing to pay a little more.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Jim Beam Bourbon fan here, about as smooth as it gets for under $26 per 750ml.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:15 pm

I second the Redbreast recommendation for Irish Whiskey. If going middle of the road, I enjoy most Irish Whiskey's over most blended Scotch and American or Canadian whiskeys.

Alternatively, instead of targeting $1 an ounce, consider something a little less if you are going to mix. Anything of higher quality than Ten High or Old Crow will do, really.

Then, on the other end, single malt is the way to go. If you like peat, good Islay varieties include Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

As you can see, while I don't use it for my bond allocation, I sometimes employ a barbell strategy for my whiskey consumption.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

Compound

Post by Compound » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:25 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:Sorry, but I am going to try and gently push you past your $1.00 per ounce criterion:

Talisker 10 year
Glenkinchie 12 year
Lagavulin 16 year

All are utterly delicious Scottish single malts (Macallan's 12 year ain't a bad back-up choice).
We have very similar tastes in scotch. I love the smoky single malts. Lagavulin is my fav.

:beer

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:26 pm

(takes notes furiously)

2 bits

Post by 2 bits » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 pm

What FreeAtLast said. Including the Illigitimi Non Carborundum sign off slogan.
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:53 pm

I like them all. My current favorite (changes often) is Glenmorangie, thanks to learning more about it in a similar thread months ago. Cheers.
Last edited by akblizzard on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Chivas Regal - Blended Scotch

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Bourbon: Knob Creek
Tennessee Sour Mash: Gerge Dickel

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Finally ... unlike investing, something I have a bit of experience in. :thumbsup

Bourbon - Elijah Craig 12, Eagle Rare 10, Four Roses Small Batch all reasonably priced.

Other Whiskeys - Maker's Mark (wheat), Rittenhouse (rye).

Blended Scotch - Sheep Dip, any Compass Box product. Never really took to Johnnie Walker or Dewar's.

Single Malt - hard to stay at $1/oz. But for a bit more, you've got the smoky Islays (Lagavulin / Ardbeg / Laphroaig), lighter Highlands malts (Glenmorangie, Balvenie), sherried malts (Macallan, Glendronach) ... and I haven't mentioned even half the good ones yet. Here you really need to narrow down what you like, and/or try a bit of everything at a good bar or a friend's house with a good collection.

slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:08 am

Compound wrote:
FreeAtLast wrote:Sorry, but I am going to try and gently push you past your $1.00 per ounce criterion:

Talisker 10 year
Glenkinchie 12 year
Lagavulin 16 year

We have very similar tastes in scotch. I love the smoky single malts. Lagavulin is my fav.

:beer
+1 Lagavulin. Just special. Peaty, rich, with a distinct attitude. :sharebeer

Will also recommend Yamazaki 12 year. Japanese single malt. Pushes your stated budget a bit, but it's another fav. Really gooood.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.

OldOne

Post by OldOne » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41 am

A. H. Hirsch Reserve - when I'm in the mood for bourbon.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41 am

I love Lagavulin & Laphroaig Quarter Cask, but often resort to cheaper tipples ... Jameson, Aberlour, Glenmorangie, ... Q: has anyone tried Jameson Caskmates?
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

LowER

Post by LowER » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:03 am

Lagavulin.

LowER

Post by LowER » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:03 am

Dupilicate.

Though it deserves being said twice.

mattsm

Post by mattsm » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:12 am

Talisker

SpringBank

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:18 am

Don't really know my whiskey from my whisky, but I like High West Rendezvous Rye.

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:17 am

Now here's a thread I can get behind!

OP, need more info to give recommendations as pointed out above.

In the meantime, here's something for each:

Bourbon - Maker's Mark CASK STRENGTH
Scotch - Talisker 10 (bold), Dalwhinnie 15 (all around)
Irish - Redbreast 12
Canadian - Anything from Forty Creek

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:32 am

tarheel wrote:Now here's a thread I can get behind!

OP, need more info to give recommendations as pointed out above.

In the meantime, here's something for each:

Bourbon - Maker's Mark CASK STRENGTH
Scotch - Talisker 10 (bold), Dalwhinnie 15 (all around)
Irish - Redbreast 12
Canadian - Anything from Forty Creek
Thanks, I wanted to keep it broad because I wants to compare the different types more so than brands. Then once I narrow type, I can compare brands.

So how would people say the 4 types that you listed differ in taste?

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:58 am

If you are not a whiskey drinker and are looking for something reasonably priced and "smooth," I recommend Four Roses yellow label bourbon. It is not bold or complex, but it tastes good and is "smooth." When I think of "smooth" as described by someone who doesn't drink a lot of whiskey, this is the type of whiskey I think of.

If you decide you want to move beyond that, there are too many good whiskeys, rye whiskeys and bourbons to list. But Four Roses also has some very good premium lines, too.

Good luck,

JT

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:02 am

TX whiskey is phenomenal - quite smooth and great taste. It's also reasonably priced though I'm not sure it's available far outside of Texas
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:24 am

drawpoker wrote:Not, er, quite sure, if we are supposed to be discussing this, um, might come under the ban of, er, medical chit-chat you know, ah, liver enzymes and all ..... :sharebeer Also, already people are confusing whisky with sour-mash (like bourbon).
Just to add in some legal talk as well :D , here are the U.S. Standards of Identity from the ATF, TTB, or whatever it is now called.

27 CFR 5.22(b):
(b) Class 2; whisky. “Whisky” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need not be so stored), and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed.
(1)
(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.22

rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:27 am

I'm more of a bourbon guy, and I typically only drink them neat, so here's some recommendations based on what I rave about to my other bourbon-drinking friends. Sorry, not sure on the $ / oz pricing.

1. Willett Pot Still Reserve (This is very complex. I pour neat and let it sit for 5 minutes. The tasting profile changes DRAMATICALLY, similar to a wine experiencing bottle shock. Straight out of the bottle, the nose is spicy and tense. Give it 5 minutes and you'll notice smooth caramel and oatmeal. That's when you know it's ready to sip.)
2. Basil Hayden (This is what I give someone as their "Neat Starter Bourbon." So easy to drink.)
4. Woodford Reserve
3. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
4. Jefferson's Ocean: Aged at Sea
5. Four Roses Single Barrel
6. Blanton's Original Single Barrel (Good luck finding this one; I think the 2015 batch has been exhausted.)
7. E.H. Taylor Small Batch
8. Booker's (This will kick you in the mouth)

I keep a bottle of Marker's Mark and Bulleit in the cabinet, but barely touch them. Maker's is for the guests and Bulleit is for the occasional Old Fashioned. Not a fan of Angel's Envy; Pappy is overrated; and I stay away from Jim Beam.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:47 am

I don't drink much whisky but.......if I recall Costco used to have great deals on bottles around here, you had to buy the huge bottles but it was something like $5-$6 cheaper, that may help with your $1/oz limit.

I have a family member who has a well stocked bar, tried many over the rocks but never was my thing, in other words I could not tell the difference between many of the brands, I just tossed whatever in a coke in the end :oops:

Must have poor taste buds or something!
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:54 am

southbay wrote:for the best "bang for your buck" single malt scotch, i like Glenlivet 12 Year. it's currently $23.99 for 750ml at my local shop.
I'm also a Glenlivet fan though I generally go for the 21 year variety.

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:17 am

I'm not sure of its availability around the country, but Woodinville Whiskey Company, from the city of the same name in Washington State, produces simply excellent small batch bourbon and rye. I cannot recommend highly enough.

southbay

Post by southbay » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:14 am

lthenderson wrote:
southbay wrote:for the best "bang for your buck" single malt scotch, i like Glenlivet 12 Year. it's currently $23.99 for 750ml at my local shop.
I'm also a Glenlivet fan though I generally go for the 21 year variety.
Also good, but not $23.99. ;)

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 am

Bourbon-Maker's 46 Unbelievably smooth great deal at Costco which gets it down to $23.00 for the LARGE bottle
Whiskey-Connemara-I first tried this in a bar during a cycle ride in....Connemara. Every time we open a bottle I am reminded of that trip and smell the peat fires in the area.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:37 am

This is sort of like recommending a movie. Everyone likes different things. All depends on what you're in the mood for.

But, since you said you like "smooth" whiskies, I'll take that as a code word for "not peated". That rules out the Taliskers and Lagavulins and such, as well as peaty blends like Teacher's (one of my bargain faves).

I'll also take it to mean "not to high in proof", which will rule out anything cask-strength.

Finally, we've got a price limit, which will rule out pretty much all the single-malts and mid-range-or-higher bourbons such as Maker's Mark (unless you catch a sale). Rules out Redbreast too.

So what's that leave us with? I'd suggest George Dickel #8 or #12. Better, IMHO, than that "other", more-famous Tennessee whiskey.

And if you really want to go bargain, pick up a bottle (or even a handle... likely still under $20!) of Benchmark if you can find it. It's dirt-cheap but actually pretty good. Made in the Buffalo Trace distillery, reportedly using the same mash bill as Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and George T. Stagg.
Stay on target...

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:51 am

JupiterJones wrote:This is sort of like recommending a movie. Everyone likes different things. All depends on what you're in the mood for.

But, since you said you like "smooth" whiskies, I'll take that as a code word for "not peated". That rules out the Taliskers and Lagavulins and such, as well as peaty blends like Teacher's (one of my bargain faves).

I'll also take it to mean "not to high in proof", which will rule out anything cask-strength.

Finally, we've got a price limit, which will rule out pretty much all the single-malts and mid-range-or-higher bourbons such as Maker's Mark (unless you catch a sale). Rules out Redbreast too.

So what's that leave us with? I'd suggest George Dickel #8 or #12. Better, IMHO, than that "other", more-famous Tennessee whiskey.

And if you really want to go bargain, pick up a bottle (or even a handle... likely still under $20!) of Benchmark if you can find it. It's dirt-cheap but actually pretty good. Made in the Buffalo Trace distillery, reportedly using the same mash bill as Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and George T. Stagg.
Great, thank you. Looks like my liquor store sells those so I'll probably give them a shot. Ideally I'd like to have a whiskey tasting party but the logistics are tough, especially the drive home.

With the movie reference, it's like I want to know about the genres of movies, instead of specific movies.

For smooth I want something inexpensive but something that doesn't taste like rubbing alcohol. The Scotch that I've tried has a more organic / peated taste which is not bad, but I think I prefer less of that distinct taste. I've had a lot of more expensive whiskeys which were good, but not sure I'd prefer them over less expensive things in a blind taste test. I don't want to build a sophisticated palette when it comes to wine and alcohol :)

chrisdds98

Post by chrisdds98 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:02 pm

I am no expert but my favorite was Johnnie walker gold label. sadly this has been discontinued so I'm on the hunt for a new one. I tried a highland park 15 that was really nice...

feh

Post by feh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:42 pm

bottlecap wrote:If you are not a whiskey drinker and are looking for something reasonably priced and "smooth," I recommend Four Roses yellow label bourbon.
+1

As somebody that doesn't want to spend a fortune on bourbon, this is my go-to brand.

If you feel the need to spend more, try their small batch.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:03 pm

I favor the Scottish

Lagavulin is far and away my favorite. It costs $90+ where I live but I can get it at duty free shops when i travel for around $50 a bottle.

I enjoy Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Laphroig, Ardberg, and Yamazaki. I typically only buy the 12 yr varieties (10 for Laphroig and 16 for lagavulin).

For a dollar an ounce I would look at Johnnie Walker Black. You can hit that price point with a sale on the big bottles and it's an excellent "everyday" whiskey.

I used to only drink Jim Beam in college and now I can no longer stand it unless it's mixed with diet coke :(