Organic Food: Costco vs Trader Joe's vs Local Super market

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Organic Food: Costco vs Trader Joe's vs Local Super market

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:28 pm

There's a Costco going in about 30 minutes from me, a Trader Joe's about 15 minutes away and higher end grocery store close. Has any priced out how much they save with Costco over Trader Joe's?

Some things I think we could save on are:

Nuts and seeds
Organic frozen fruit
Organic spinach
Organic milk
Silk Almond Milk
Albacore tuna fish
Craft beer and decent wine

Has anyone priced out items like those and what sort of savings is there? I figure it would have to be very significant for it to be worth the extra drive (and cost), extra trip/time and membership fee that Costco charges.

David Jay

Re: Organic Food: Costco vs Trader Joe's vs Local Super market

Post by David Jay » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I thought all food was organic :wink:

(sorry, old biology joke...)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I eat organic frozen blueberries for breakfast everyday. We buy the 3 pound bag from CostCo for about $11. At Whole Foods, the 10 ounce bag is $4 and at Trader Joe's, the 12 ounce bag is $3.

Since the blueberries are Kirkland brand, they always seem to be available.

I don't buy anything else on your list, so can't say.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Raybo wrote:I eat organic frozen blueberries for breakfast everyday. We buy the 3 pound bag from CostCo for about $11. At Whole Foods, the 10 ounce bag is $4 and at Trader Joe's, the 12 ounce bag is $3.

Thanks, good to know. So the price is close to the same as TJs. I prefer my local grocery store's frozen blueberries over TJs much smaller ones, but they're more expensive.

I just noticed that you can now look prices up online. TJs is cheaper for some nuts. Since it's closer, there's no membership fee and I don't want to store 30 pounds of nuts or fruit, I'll probably stick with my current combo of local grocery store and trader joes

sport

Post by sport » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:58 pm

I would suggest that you do not base your decision on Costco membership based only on food purchases. Costco has a lot of other very good merchandise at attractive prices. Some categories are electronics, jewelry, housewares, paper goods, pet food, books, pharmacy, optician, beverages, appliances, and clothing. We have found that it is very easy to save enough to pay for the membership fee many times over.

ktd

Post by ktd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:04 pm

I buy organic food at Aldi.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:31 pm

sport wrote:I would suggest that you do not base your decision on Costco membership based only on food purchases. Costco has a lot of other very good merchandise at attractive prices. Some categories are electronics, jewelry, housewares, paper goods, pet food, books, pharmacy, optician, beverages, appliances, and clothing. We have found that it is very easy to save enough to pay for the membership fee many times over.
I agree if I planned to buy all that stuff from Costco. But my wife and I aren't big shoppers (especially when it comes to brick and mortar) and have a lot of options that aren't out of the way that don't charge membership fees.
ktd wrote:I buy organic food at Aldi.
I looked at the Aldi by me a couple years ago and the organic selection was limited. The quality didn't seem as good as TJs but the pricing was very low. I'll check it out again to see if things have changed

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:37 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:There's a Costco going in about 30 minutes from me, a Trader Joe's about 15 minutes away and higher end grocery store close. Has any priced out how much they save with Costco over Trader Joe's?

Some things I think we could save on are:

Nuts and seeds
Organic frozen fruit
Organic spinach
Organic milk
Silk Almond Milk
Albacore tuna fish
Craft beer and decent wine

Has anyone priced out items like those and what sort of savings is there? I figure it would have to be very significant for it to be worth the extra drive (and cost), extra trip/time and membership fee that Costco charges.
1. We just bought a giant bag of walnuts for a very good deal compared to our grocery store. My wife will be in baking heaven this Christmas.

2. Organic Spinach - Yes, this comes in giant boxes for just a couple dollars. We can't use it fast enough, but it's still a great deal comparatively.

3. Organic milk - Our two local grocery stores rotate sales on their organic milk gallons, Costco isn't even close to these prices. Much more expensive at Costco

4. Albacore tuna at Costco is second to none and priced very well.

We don't buy much else from your list.
Last edited by kjvmartin on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onion

Post by Onion » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:39 pm

First of all, I try to shop at Costco above any other major grocery store, including Trader Joe's, as I support their ethical business practices. Now, yes, they have made mistakes (i.e. cage-free eggs), but overall, they are a solid company and they treat their employees like humans. Secondly, if you end up purchasing more than food (i.e. toilet paper, towels, electronics, etc.), an executive membership + Costco AmEx (soon to be Visa/MC in March 2016) may be worth it to you. Between the two, you save 5% on most purchases, including gas.

Onto your question:

1.) Nuts & Seeds - Depends. Costco carries some organic nuts and they are cheaper than anywhere else. As for regular nuts, you really will have to price it out. Sometimes Trader Joe's and Costco prices can be similar.
2.) Organic frozen fruit - Different locations carry different items, but Costco organic blueberries and organic mixed berries are cheaper than any other store near me. That said, my Costco only sells two types of organic FROZEN fruits (so far). As for non-organic, they are cheaper at Costco.
3.) Organic spinach - My Costco does not sell organic spinach. Trader Joe's frozen organic spinach is very reasonable. It freezes great, so I always buy this in bulk when I do hit Trader Joe's. (EDITED: I LIED, my Costco sells FRESH organic spinach and it's cheaper at Costco. For frozen, I do buy at Trader Joe's)
4.) Organic milk - Costco, for me, fails on organic milk compared to every other store out there, including Whole Foods. This may depend on how you purchase milk and what you currently pay. I buy a gallon-size and my Costco only carries a half-gallon size. The half-gallons are $3.50-4. In terms of gallons, Trader Joe's is cheaper than my local store, but not by enough to make a lengthy drive.
5.) Silk Almond Milk - Costco is cheaper. But, you will likely have to buy 3 half-gallons.
6.) Albacore tuna fish - Costco is cheaper, but you will buy around 7-9 cans (I forget and my pantry has 5 cans, but we do eat it). That said, they have a decent shelf life.
7.) Craft beer and decent wine - You will need to check your area. It will depend on your tastes, location, etc. We do buy a decent amount of wine from Costco. I have never been amazed by Trader Joe's wine. I buy beer at a specialty shop, so I cannot comment on that. Costco does carry some specialty beers at my location.

I wanted to add a few of my own, if you shop for these items:

1.) Organic butter - I have found this much cheaper at Costco. It freezes well. They also sell Kerrygold, again, much cheaper than anywhere else, including Trader Joe's.
2.) Organic eggs - Cheaper at Costco for me. They have been $3.30-3.50/dozen at Costco based on several states I've been in.
3.) Organic and/or raw sugar and/or coconut sugar - It's cheaper at Costco. You will buy in bulk, though. So, if you don't bake, don't bother.
Last edited by Onion on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Trader Joe's has a reputation for treating their employees much better than Whole Foods or most supermarkets, if that matters to you. It does to me. You might question some of them and form your own opinion.

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 pm

All organic milks are not the same.

Organic Dairy Report/Ratings from http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/

Horizon
Nation's largest name-brand organic milk marketer. Dependence on large industrial "farms," milking as many as 4,000 cows, for a large percentage of its milk supply... There is still a question of whether this dairy is operating in compliance with organic law.

Organic Valley
CROPP (Cooperative Regions of Organic Producer Pools) is a farmer-owned cooperative, dedicated to bringing our member-owners’ certified organic products to market under the brand names of Organic Valley Family of Farms for dairy, juice, eggs, produce, and soy.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Not sure where Kirkland Signature gets its organic milk, but they sure charge a lot for it.

Edit - apparently that survey doesn't know much about where the milk comes from either, other than for a few brands.
Last edited by kjvmartin on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emilyinsf

Post by emilyinsf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Different Costco stores carry different things, so yours might not have all of these things, but here's my price list for some of your items

Beer - Lagunitas IPA $23.99/24 bottles
Frozen blueberries $10.89/3 lbs
Frozen pineapple $6.49/4 lbs
Organic milk (Clover) $11.99/2 gallons (our local grocery store (Safeway) is $7.99/gallon for Clover, TJ's is $5.99/gallon for the TJ's brand)

Things like dish detergent, face wash, garbage bags, etc. are all cheaper at Costco v. Amazon. I haven't compared to other stores.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:50 pm

As a rule of thumb I bet that Costco is going to be cheaper than your Trader Joe's and local supermarket for all food products.

Look at raybo's data.
Raybo wrote: buy the 3 pound bag from CostCo for about $11. At Whole Foods, the 10 ounce bag is $4 and at Trader Joe's, the 12 ounce bag is $3.
Costco 23 cent per ounce.
Whole Foods 40 cents per ounce (74 percent more expensive than Costco)
Target 25 percents per ounce. (8 percent more expensive than Costco)

The only reason I would skip Costco despite their prices is if you think the volume is too much for certain goods that you think will go bad if you're not willing to freeze, or if you don't have the fridge space.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:02 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
sport wrote:I would suggest that you do not base your decision on Costco membership based only on food purchases. Costco has a lot of other very good merchandise at attractive prices. Some categories are electronics, jewelry, housewares, paper goods, pet food, books, pharmacy, optician, beverages, appliances, and clothing. We have found that it is very easy to save enough to pay for the membership fee many times over.
I agree if I planned to buy all that stuff from Costco. But my wife and I aren't big shoppers (especially when it comes to brick and mortar) and have a lot of options that aren't out of the way that don't charge membership fees.
The membership fee is rather small. You can get 2 cards, for you and your wife for $55. You can go every other week and make good use of your card stocking up on organic produce, meat, toiletries, alcohol, packaged and canned food, etc. Last two times I had to shop for tires or a tv set, Costco had a good deal. There's a reason why cheapskate Bogleheads, or at least a lot of us love Costco.
Last edited by denovo on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:05 am

All of the Costco milk near me is ultra pasteurized. My daughter won't drink it because she says it tastes like cow water. I don't drink milk so I have no idea how true that is, or what cow water actually tastes like. It is a little more expensive than a gallon of organic at the grocery stores.

I have also noticed that a lot of their organics are from countries I don't trust, so pay close attention to the labels. It seems that they are getting better, though. All of their organic veggies (except corn) were from China not too long ago. Now there are products from Canada, Ecuador, and "various countries".

Their booze section here focuses mainly on wine, so the beer isn't that great. I wish they sold Lagunitas here. I just bought some tonight to watch the Blackhawks and it was $11 for a six pack at the store. I don't think their alcohol prices are all that great, but I am spoiled with 2 Binny's nearby.

I like the organic spinach. It is usually under $4 for a giant clamshell, which is about the same price as the regular clamshell at the grocery stores. Our Costco has a problem with keeping fresh produce from spoiling, so we don't buy it often. The last time I priced canned tuna, it was about $2 a can with the coupons, but the cans are much larger than the store sized 5oz, and I had to buy 12. The pets loved it. I haven't noticed seeds, but the nuts seem to be cheaper per pound than stores and fresher. You just have to pay attention to the sell by dates.

gd

Post by gd » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:03 am

Why organic? It might affect the answers, as there is some controversy over the meaning of the term, as suggested above. It might matter if your reasons were 1) strong animal ethics considerations, 2) severe food sensitivity, or 3) general feel-good motives that allow more trade-off between cost and product.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:41 am

Not knowing where you are, Kroger, Aldi and Costco for organics. If Costco is far away, it may not be worth for your situation. I find Costco pays off many ways and my nearest one is 45 minutes away. We still find it worthwhile to be member for two of us.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 am

denovo wrote:As a rule of thumb I bet that Costco is going to be cheaper than your Trader Joe's and local supermarket for all food products.

Look at raybo's data.
But Raybo's "data" was only blueberries and just barely cheaper. Almonds are much cheaper at TJs:

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1555
http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatur ... 19261.html

$35.94 for 6 lbs vs $43.99 for 6 lbs.

I often buy nuts and seed at Trader Joe's -- almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. And even if the price was the same, I'd prefer not to have to buy in bulk and store ~40 pounds of nuts and seeds in my house.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:36 am

denovo wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:
The membership fee is rather small. You can get 2 cards, for you and your wife for $55. You can go every other week and make good use of your card stocking up on organic produce, meat, toiletries, alcohol, packaged and canned food, etc. Last two times I had to shop for tires or a tv set, Costco had a good deal. There's a reason why cheapskate Bogleheads, or at least a lot of us love Costco.
If it was very close, I'd probably get one. But considering cost per mile to get there (maybe ~$20 round trip), extra time (about an hour extra), having to store large volumes, ...I don't think it's worth it for me. I may still go in and check it out if I'm in the area.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 am

Costco does have good prices, but remember - it's pretty much BULK, even for produce. I'm a big eater myself, but even for me, the bulk aspect of the produce is overkill and offsets any price advantages I get compared to TJ's.

The even bigger turnoff for me now is the actual shopping experience at Costco. At least out here, it's pretty much always jam-packed parking lots, hunting through aisles and aisles to find something that doesn't match up to exactly what you want, and big checkout lines.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:42 am

protagonist wrote:Trader Joe's has a reputation for treating their employees much better than Whole Foods or most supermarkets, if that matters to you. It does to me. You might question some of them and form your own opinion.
I think this also shows in how I'm treated as a customer which is important to me. In general happy employees = better customer service.

TJs employees almost always seem happy and pleasant to be around. The Walmart by me is on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm sure a lot comes down to management, and the Walmart by me is poorly run.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:48 am

For me, the price of Costco membership is worth it just for gas ($1.75/gallon last weekend at my store) and miscellaneous items, e.g., fish oil supplements, ground flaxseed, tires, travel deals (e.g., discounted theme park tickets), athletic clothing, etc. But there's a Costco 5 minutes from my house. If it were a 30-minute drive away, eh, the savings aren't as great as all that. Just fyi, for folks with young daughters or granddaughters obsessed with American Girl doll stuff, Costco is presently selling a package of 4 $25 American Girl gift cards for $80. That's a good deal because that American Girl doll crap practically never goes on sale.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:53 am

gd wrote:Why organic? It might affect the answers, as there is some controversy over the meaning of the term, as suggested above. It might matter if your reasons were 1) strong animal ethics considerations, 2) severe food sensitivity, or 3) general feel-good motives that allow more trade-off between cost and product.
My wife is more into organic than I am, but partly #1, possibly #2 (she has a food allergy that she's working on pinpointing with doctors) but mostly we want to stay healthy and believe that avoiding these in excess will help:

processed foods (especially meats)
artificial sweeteners
hormones
sodium
calorie free sweeteners
high fructose corn syrup
chemicals
pesticides

We're not 100% organic, probably not even 50% but believe in things in moderation. Sure, there's often a small premium, but I consider insurance that could be very well be worth it.

And a forth factor could be taste. I'm not a huge fan of apples, but I'm often surprised how great some organic ones taste (organic pink lady from TJs for example). I'm never been as impressed with non-organic ones. I'll be the first to admit that I'd prefer a $6 wine over a $20 wine, so I don't think that just because I'm paying more, it's going to taste better. I'd prefer to try it myself.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:08 am

The last Costco I was at had WildPlanet Tuna, which is really good and it was somewhere around half the price of what it sells for at Whole Foods.

Obviously the organic label does not apply to seafood.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:43 am

denovo wrote:As a rule of thumb I bet that Costco is going to be cheaper than your Trader Joe's and local supermarket for all food products.
As has been brought up countless times on this board, whether or not Costco is cheaper for food is totally dependent on the area. Where I live, Costco is more expensive than most of the local grocers when it comes to food (on literally every single food product my family buys, in a lot of cases the difference is substantial) and is even pricier than the local health food store (Sprouts) on many items. You really have to do your own comparisons.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:48 am

goodlifer wrote:All of the Costco milk near me is ultra pasteurized. My daughter won't drink it because she says it tastes like cow water.
We also moved away from Ultra pasteurized to regular pasteurized milk. This is very difficult to get in organic level.
Costco, walmart, target and kroger dont carry Organic Pasteurized. Publix brand and one brand in Sprouts is regular pasterized organic.

SamB

Post by SamB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:58 pm

For me this is an apples and oranges comparison. In my area Trader Joe's is a step down in quality from Costco. Costco has reasonable prices on fairly high end items. I would put Trader Joes's in the middle as far as quality is concerned.

I have yet to get a consistent definition of organic. Although, I buy organic produce sometimes. The reason is it tastes better, and the price difference is not something I am concerned about.

It is possible to get bad produce, for example mushy apples, at Costco just as it is at Trader Joes.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:45 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
goodlifer wrote:All of the Costco milk near me is ultra pasteurized. My daughter won't drink it because she says it tastes like cow water.
We also moved away from Ultra pasteurized to regular pasteurized milk. This is very difficult to get in organic level.
Costco, walmart, target and kroger dont carry Organic Pasteurized. Publix brand and one brand in Sprouts is regular pasterized organic.
Though the label "organic" does not significantly influence my purchasing choices, if you do want to find organic milk that is not ultra-pasteurized, and you are willing to pay a premium, I would suggest looking towards your local producers, perhaps at a farmers' market near you. Our locally produced milk is not ultra-pasteurized. I'm not sure why corporate organic farms rely on ultra-pasteurization (which I have read has a demonstrable reduction in satisfaction based on taste testing). Perhaps the turnaround is longer for organic products and thus they need a longer shelf life? Beats me.....

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:48 pm

there are a lot of organic items at Kroger and Aldi's.

I read recently that in 2 years Kroger will be the number one seller of organic food.
Focus on what you can control

Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Milk: Organic Valley - Walmart has he cheapest at around $3.88 for 1/2 gallon. Kirkland organic is $12 for 3 half gallon packs. Horizon typically over $4. I only buy Organic Valley as not all organic milk are the same, like another poster mentioned.

Frozen Organic Strawberries and Blueberries: Aldi (Simply Organic brand)

Frozen chopped organic spinach: Walmart (Wild Oats brand)

Fresh organic spinach: Costco has the cheapest for $5.99 for a big plasric box

Silk Soymilk- walmart sometimes has it for a full $1 cheaper than other stores.

Organic fresh fruits: smaller chain stores are cheaper

Xyz214

Post by Xyz214 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Raybo wrote:I eat organic frozen blueberries for breakfast everyday. We buy the 3 pound bag from CostCo for about $11. At Whole Foods, the 10 ounce bag is $4 and at Trader Joe's, the 12 ounce bag is $3.

If it's just blueberries then you're not saving much but I'm sure you're getting tons of other things.

Costco
3lbs (48 ounces) = $11

TJ
12oz x 4 = $4 x 4 = $12

Onion

Post by Onion » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:46 am

protagonist wrote:Trader Joe's has a reputation for treating their employees much better than Whole Foods or most supermarkets, if that matters to you. It does to me. You might question some of them and form your own opinion.
Costco pays an average of $20/hour to retail employees versus Trader Joe's at $14-ish/hour. And, I love Trader Joe's, so I do agree with you! :)
ThankYouJack wrote:

Look at raybo's data.
But Raybo's "data" was only blueberries and just barely cheaper. Almonds are much cheaper at TJs:

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1555
http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatur ... 19261.html

$35.94 for 6 lbs vs $43.99 for 6 lbs.

I often buy nuts and seed at Trader Joe's -- almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. And even if the price was the same, I'd prefer not to have to buy in bulk and store ~40 pounds of nuts and seeds in my house.
You can't compare the online price to the in-store price. That said, nuts/seed pricing need to be compared, as Costco isn't always cheaper, especially if it's a hike to get there.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:27 pm

We usually do not but fruits at Costco, since we felt the cost is higher than the local groceries.
Recently( last 1 year?), we started to buy fruits from Costco, we like the texture, taste.

Nowadays, we buy most fruits from Costco. Costco Grapes holds great for a week, than the local store brought one.