Protein Bars and Smoothies

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Protein Bars and Smoothies

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:24 pm

I'm looking to add more protein to my diet, in the form of a snack -- either through a bar or smoothie. I'd like something natural and not loaded with sweeteners. I'd like something that's ~20g of protein and it's ok if it has more carbs than that and if it has some grams of fat.

Any recommendations?

climber2020

Re: Protein Bars and Smoothies

Post by climber2020 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:29 pm

What is your definition of "natural"?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:31 pm

We take a bag of almonds along with us when we are hiking for just that purpose.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Recommendation: Body Fortresss Super Advanced Whey Protein in various flavors. It's about $8 a pound in our local grocery stores.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:43 pm

Even the best protein bars on the market are far from what I'd consider natural. My wife loves Quest bars, and from a nutrition aspect they are top-notch for the market, but you better have a stomach that can handle sugar alcohols. They are delicious, but definitely an occasional snack; you are better off with a handful of nuts.

Smoothies, your options are unlimited. Throw whatever you like in a blender and it will probably taste good.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:50 pm

climber2020 wrote:What is your definition of "natural"?

I'm pretty flexible on the word "natural" but I don't want something loaded with artificial flavors. I know there are a lot of extremely sweet protein bars and shakes that have 1 or 2 grams of sugar -- those are what I'm looking to avoid.

jebmke wrote:We take a bag of almonds along with us when we are hiking for just that purpose.

I often make trail mix using nuts, seeds and raisins. It is a great hiking snack. But nuts tend to be much higher in fat calories than protein calories.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Quest makes some decent whey protein bars. Check the ingredients for sucralose -- some of the flavors contain it, some don't.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Many protein bars have a not so great taste, so you just have to eat them while going yuck. One of the ones that i think taste good are Chef Robert Irvine FortiFx Fit Crunch bars. They have 16- 30g of protein, 6 g of sugar, come in several flavors. If you really want to contol what you are eating, there are many recipes on the net for home made protein bars. That way you can contrl the flavor, sugar and calories.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ds=Fortifx

https://legionathletics.com/homemade-pr ... r-recipes/
Mike
Last edited by mhalley on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Another good option is Epic or Tanka bars. They are various kinds of meats (buffalo, beef, pork) with fruits and nuts for flavor.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Forgot to mention the smoothie aspect. You have to try several protein powders to find a flavor you like, or just go with vanilla and doctor it up. Optimum nutrition is good, as well as bsn syntha 6. You can generally just use a shaker bottle, but i recommend getting a small individual smoothie blender so u can throw in some berries etc to pump up the flavor and nutrition.
Mike

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Make our own bars. Peanut butter based with every seed known to humankind. :annoyed
Got some overripe Minion food (banana) and other artificial and natural agents to make a smoothie later on today. Thanks for the reminder. :D
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

praxis

Post by praxis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Smoothies are very satisfying.
The best flavor I have found is vanilla whey protein powder, but soy, egg, and rice protein powders are common.
The protein per scoop is usually around 20 grams and very low carbs and fat.
I prefer to use a blender and use frozen fruit or fruit yogurt or a half a banana to add to the vanilla.
I use whatever milk is in our fridge that day and fill the blender half full of ice.
I prefer to add a sweetener to mine.
Once in a while, if I want chocolate, I add a scoop of Hershey's baking cocoa to the vanilla flavor.
I have been drinking these smoothies for well over 25 years.
I am 80 years old and I can lift my truck up over my head. (just kidding)
If you want to gain weight use two scoops and whole milk and peanut butter.
If you want to lose weight, use one scoop, water or skim milk and fruit and substitute it for one meal.

For protein bars, go to Walmart or discount drugstore and pick out six different bars that have the nutrition profile you prefer and try them.
There are hundreds of brands, flavors and nutrition varieties.
Some don't melt, so those you can keep in your car.

I snack on almonds all the time, and I roast mine instead of buying roasted & salted which means fried in oil and over salted.
Preheat oven to 300. Take pie pans or cookie sheets and spread out a pound of raw whole almonds.
Put almonds in oven and turn it off immediately and close door. Leave them in there several hours.
This recipe is perfect for my taste. If you like them toastier, Preheat to 350 or 400 instead. But if they burn, they're bitter.
Last edited by praxis on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Durzo

Post by Durzo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:38 pm

I second the suggestion to make your own. I make a batch of 20 every couple of weeks. The entire process takes less than 20 minutes. That way you also know exactly whats in them.

-Joey

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:42 pm

If you want to know the quality of the bars you are eating, make them yourself.

This page has links to 3 homemade energy bar recipes.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 pm

When I was rock climbing a lot a few years ago, I used to eat a cliff bar at the gym and make a banana, peanut butter and almond milk smoothie when I got home. Then, I'd eat some baked chicken and veggies for dinner. That seemed to work pretty well.

- Tim

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:56 pm

sillysaver wrote:Quest makes some decent whey protein bars. Check the ingredients for sucralose -- some of the flavors contain it, some don't.

+1 Quest... eat one every morning, have gone through dozens of different brands and flavors and Quest is by far the best overall taste / nutrition / quality ... I buy boxes at a time off amazon, by far the best price out there

thinkthin bars from target is also very tasty, 20g protein, good quality, and not expensive (I mention Target because that is the single cheapest location I found to buy them from)
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Based on the feedback and especially after looking at some of the ingredient labels, I decided to go with an unflavored protein and make my own smoothies and bars.

I think I'll go with this one - http://www.amazon.com/TGS-Nutrition-Pro ... powder#Ask

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:32 pm

This smoothie works for me in the morning:
    Fresh baby spinach - several big handfuls (organic, from costco)
    Organic superfruit blend - a small handful (frozen, from costco)
    1/2 banana, frozen
    Nutiva hemp protein - one serving (15g of protein in a serving)
    Almond milk + water to taste

I just throw all of that into a Vitamix, and it's wonderful. Tastes great, and I feel great too. Easy to double up the recipe for a significant other. I'm not a fanatic on the whole organic/natural thing, but this is a great way to get some good fruits and veggies, and relatively cheap.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:I'm looking to add more protein to my diet, in the form of a snack -- either through a bar or smoothie. I'd like something natural and not loaded with sweeteners. I'd like something that's ~20g of protein and it's ok if it has more carbs than that and if it has some grams of fat.

Any recommendations?

Beef Jerky, almost all protein. You can make it yourself to cut the cost in half and double the quality.

JDaniels

Post by JDaniels » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I'd recommend making your own. There are so many ingredients in popular bars and powders, you have no idea how a particular ingredient will affect your body years from now.

I prefer smoothies. I have plenty of recipes but here is one I call "The Rookie":
Milk
Almond Butter
Frozen Banana

All three ingredients have been around long enough that I feel pretty safe using them. Lol.

Thumbs up for taking responsibility in your own health!
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:27 pm

There is no perfect smoothie, but mine is almost perfect :beer

Ingredients:

About 2" of orange juice
About 2" of water
1 frozen banana (This is really the secret to a great smoothie. If you freeze a ripe, peeled banana, you'll have a wonderful drink. I make sure I never run out of frozen bananas in the freezer.)
About 1/2 to 1 tbsp. of peanut butter (organic, of course)
1 scoop of unflavored whey protein powder*

Whip it all up in a blender or Nutribullet (I use the latter; it's fast and easy to clean)
---

*Here is the Unflavored Whey Protein Powder I'm currently using (following a lot of research):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref ... 93DI&psc=1

It's 110 calories per scoop, only 5 from fat, and packs 25 gm of protein in a scoop.
Natural Unflavored - All Natural - No Aspartame, No Sucralose, No Acesulfame-K

That said, it's not inexpensive, though less than some: $59 for 5 lbs.($11.85/lb.)

Works for me. My wife always wants to share--she hears the blender and calls, "Make some for me."
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:35 pm

For easy protein in drinkable form, you could just mix milk and whey powder. Plain greek yogurt is great in case you'll look outside of smoothies and bars. I personally make smoothies after working out and like them to have a lot of calories. My usual smoothie is milk, whey powder, oats, banana, frozen strawberry, frozen blueberry, and peanut butter.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 pm

sfnerd wrote:This smoothie works for me in the morning:
    1/2 banana, frozen

I just throw all of that into a Vitamix, and it's wonderful. Tastes great, and I feel great too. Easy to double up the recipe for a significant other. I'm not a fanatic on the whole organic/natural thing, but this is a great way to get some good fruits and veggies, and relatively cheap.

Does costco have a decent selection of organic frozen fruit? I often buy frozen mangos, blue berries and strawberries at my local grocery store or trader joe's.

That's the same protein that I bought last. Not bad, although some people may not like the texture.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:Does costco have a decent selection of organic frozen fruit? I often buy frozen mangos, blue berries and strawberries at my local grocery store or trader joe's.

The one in SF does. We buy frozen organic blueberries, strawberries and mango. They also have a couple berry mixes, as well.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:00 pm

dsmil wrote:For easy protein in drinkable form, you could just mix milk and whey powder. Plain greek yogurt is great in case you'll look outside of smoothies and bars. I personally make smoothies after working out and like them to have a lot of calories. My usual smoothie is milk, whey powder, oats, banana, frozen strawberry, frozen blueberry, and peanut butter.

I love Fage Total. I used to hate it, but guess it's an acquired taste. Sometimes I'll eat it plain or add some sliced banana to it or dark chocolate chips or powdered peanut butter --

https://jet.com/product/detail/5f173a09 ... gQodLPUJBw

Jazztonight wrote:There is no perfect smoothie, but mine is almost perfect :beer

Ingredients:

About 2" of orange juice
About 2" of water
1 frozen banana (This is really the secret to a great smoothie. If you freeze a ripe, peeled banana, you'll have a wonderful drink. I make sure I never run out of frozen bananas in the freezer.)
About 1/2 to 1 tbsp. of peanut butter (organic, of course)
1 scoop of unflavored whey protein powder*

Whip it all up in a blender or Nutribullet (I use the latter; it's fast and easy to clean)
---

*Here is the Unflavored Whey Protein Powder I'm currently using (following a lot of research):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref ... 93DI&psc=1

It's 110 calories per scoop, only 5 from fat, and packs 25 gm of protein in a scoop.
Natural Unflavored - All Natural - No Aspartame, No Sucralose, No Acesulfame-K

That said, it's not inexpensive, though less than some: $59 for 5 lbs.($11.85/lb.)

Works for me. My wife always wants to share--she hears the blender and calls, "Make some for me."

I may try that next. I have bought Now in the past and was happy with it.

I may also buy a Nutribullet because cleaning a Vitamix is annoying for just one smoothie.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't know what is in them,
I like Cliff Bars :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Raybo wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:Does costco have a decent selection of organic frozen fruit? I often buy frozen mangos, blue berries and strawberries at my local grocery store or trader joe's.

The one in SF does. We buy frozen organic blueberries, strawberries and mango. They also have a couple berry mixes, as well.

Cool, I may check out one by me. I wish it was closer, but if I can save a lot on my (mostly organic) staples -- spinach, fage, silk almond milk, frozen fruit, nuts, raisins...it could be worth a trip or two each month

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Toons wrote:I don't know what is in them,

arsenic (but small amounts), and that doesn't stop me from eating them occasionally :)

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:12 pm

You might like Simple Squares: http://simplesquares.com/

I like the cinnamon-clove, but there are several varieties.

Also available on Amazon and some retail outlets.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:56 pm

heartwood wrote:You might like Simple Squares: http://simplesquares.com/

I like the cinnamon-clove, but there are several varieties.

Also available on Amazon and some retail outlets.

those look pretty good ... but you can get more protein from a simple glass of chocolate milk... pretty weak with only 6g
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

caseynshan

Post by caseynshan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:22 pm

I make my own smoothies and then freeze coffee mugs of them.. .. i can make 5-10 at a time that way, and then defrost at work

my approx recipe for about 5

3 cups of protein powder
about two cups of milk
cup of juice
2-3 cups of frozen fruit, slightly defrosted.. primarily berries and peaches..
banana
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
teaspoon of vanilla

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:26 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
sfnerd wrote:This smoothie works for me in the morning:
    1/2 banana, frozen

Does costco have a decent selection of organic frozen fruit? I often buy frozen mangos, blue berries and strawberries at my local grocery store or trader joe's.

That's the same protein that I bought last. Not bad, although some people may not like the texture.

Here in the Bay Area they seem to, and the packaging doesn't seem to be local, so I would imagine they carry the same brands in other areas. The quality seems to be a bit better than TJs (which is where we shop for most of our groceries), and of course a bit cheaper, so I try to load up at Costco when I'm there.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:32 pm

Bag of mixed roasted nuts for me.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

John3754

Post by John3754 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:10 pm

Lots of sugar.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:22 am

2 bananas
other non-citrus fruit if you have it, like berries, peaches, plums, whatever...( unnecessary but great for variety)
a few dates or figs are nice too (unnecessary)
2 heaping tsps. or more of nut butter (I use Trader Joe's crunchy almond), or a couple of handful of nuts (I usually use pistachios or pecans)
cinnamon and fresh grated nutmeg to taste
some fresh mint is nice if you have it
ginger if you like it (for variety)
sweeten to taste- I always use real maple syrup
a handful or two of ice

blend in a good blender on highest speed that will completely crush ice until drink is a rather gross color and consistency, the description of which would violate Bogleheads decency policy.....should be very smooth, hence the name "smoothie".

Adding water, juice, milk, yogurt, ice cream etc is unnecessary unless you prefer a diluted drink.

The result is very healthy, extremely delicious, and a great energy drink for workouts as well- loaded with carbs and protein. I think I will go make one now.

Experiment.

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:16 am

ThankYouJack wrote:I'm pretty flexible on the word "natural" but I don't want something loaded with artificial flavors. I know there are a lot of extremely sweet protein bars and shakes that have 1 or 2 grams of sugar -- those are what I'm looking to avoid.

Where did you get the idea that a lot of protein bars have 1-2 grams of sugar? Most actually have a lot more than that. 1-2 grams of sugar in a protein/energy/other bar is actually very little sugar.

Also where did you get the number 20 grams for the amount of protein you need? Are you trying to build muscle? 20 grams of protein in one snack is a lot of protein considering you'll most likely be eating meals that contain protein throughout the day?

I'm just trying to understand the logic behind your question.

Protein bars are processed and not "natural" as you put it. A good source of natural protein that would make a convenient snack would be nuts and seeds.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 am

Sugar, that's what's in them.

Most of them have over 20 g of sugar.

They're garbage.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

harland

Post by harland » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

I use Just Protein from IronMind to supplement my intake for strength training purposes. It's rather expensive but it consists of only four ingredients: whole egg powder, calcium caseinate, instant non-fat dry milk, and natural vanilla-almond flavoring. No sweeteners whatsoever. I usually drink it with 2% milk and add some water to get the right consistency. After trying a few whey / vegan powders, I came back to this one. I like the clean taste. It would probably mix well in a smoothie.

http://www.ironmind.com/product-info/just-protein/
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:28 am

instant non-fat dry milk is a sweetener with sugar (probably mostly lactose) about 50% by weight.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:33 am

DDMP20 wrote:Also where did you get the number 20 grams for the amount of protein you need? Are you trying to build muscle? 20 grams of protein in one snack is a lot of protein considering you'll most likely be eating meals that contain protein throughout the day?

I found that my meals didn't have much protein. For instance, a mixed green salad won't have much protein without added beans, egg, or something. A glass of milk is less than 10 grams of protein, too, isn't it?

John3754

Post by John3754 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:41 am

livesoft wrote:
DDMP20 wrote:Also where did you get the number 20 grams for the amount of protein you need? Are you trying to build muscle? 20 grams of protein in one snack is a lot of protein considering you'll most likely be eating meals that contain protein throughout the day?

I found that my meals didn't have much protein. For instance, a mixed green salad won't have much protein without added beans, egg, or something. A glass of milk is less than 10 grams of protein, too, isn't it?

What about all those sushi lunches that you eat? :wink:

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:53 am

John3754 wrote:What about all those sushi lunches that you eat? :wink:

These are not big sushi lunches. I will have to achieve more gains in my portfolio in order to have more protein for lunch. ;)
But if I eat sushi for lunch, I do not add protein powder to my glass of milk.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:58 am

My personal trainer recommends Builder's Bars. Lower in sugar than many other bars; high in protein. Less chemical-y than many of the bars out there. Not sugar or chemical free, just better than most. Taste great, and they have a wide variety of flavors.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:31 pm

So many of the commercial protein bars are also super high in calories and/or sugar. I found some decently-tasting 30G-Protein bars at Walmart, but at 300 calories they are more of a meal replacement than a routine snack.

I've tried a few homemade bars, but while I was able to better control the ingredients, they were still too high in calories for my taste.

(I need to try to maintain a 1500 cal/day diet following bariatric surgery four years ago - it becomes really easy to overdo it without even noticing).

joe3411

Post by joe3411 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:55 pm

When I want a protein bar I eat Pure Protein bars. They have 20g of protein, 3g of sugar, and are 200 calories.

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't get the obsession with protein/energy bars. The vast majority of them are not very healthy. It must be all the slick marketing and packaging that tricks people into thinking that they are. Yeah they're convenient but it's not as if most of us can't take a few minutes out of our day to procure a much healthier snack.

Then again we are one of the most obese nations on earth for adults and the undisputed leader in childhood obesity. We're also presently in the process of succumbing to the latest insidious politically correct trend, "fat acceptance."

Yay America!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 pm

DDMP20 wrote:I don't get the obsession with protein/energy bars. The vast majority of them are not very healthy. It must be all the slick marketing and packaging that tricks people into thinking that they are. Yeah they're convenient but it's not as if most of us can't take a few minutes out of our day to procure a much healthier snack.

OK, what would be a much healthier snack? A bag of potato chips? A candy bar? Rice cakes? A carbohydrate-loaded piece of fruit? A vitamin pill? A glass of water?

It is rather amazing what a human body can use for nourishment, isn't it?

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:45 pm

livesoft wrote:OK, what would be a much healthier snack? A bag of potato chips? A candy bar? Rice cakes? A carbohydrate-loaded piece of fruit? A vitamin pill? A glass of water?

A piece of fruit or vegetable would be healthier yes, or: a boiled egg, a can of tuna fish, nuts, seeds, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sushi, etc etc

While protein bars may not be the most unhealthy thing out there they do tend to be expensive and high in calories and sugar so for my money they're not worth it.

What I find amazing is the lengths to which most Americans will go to place the blame for the results of their unhealthy lifestyle choices on others.

Fat acceptance.... a movement that totally disregards the plethora of medical evidence that links obesity to numerous ailments (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, bone and joint problems etc...) so that people may feel good about and justify their sloth when it comes to the crappy diet and exercise choices that they make every day.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 pm

DDMP20 wrote:
livesoft wrote:OK, what would be a much healthier snack? A bag of potato chips? A candy bar? Rice cakes? A carbohydrate-loaded piece of fruit? A vitamin pill? A glass of water?

A piece of fruit or vegetable would be healthier yes, or: a boiled egg, a can of tuna fish, nuts, seeds, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sushi, etc etc

While protein bars may not be the most unhealthy thing out there they do tend to be expensive and high in calories and sugar so for my money they're not worth it.

What I find amazing is the lengths to which most Americans will go to place the blame for the results of their unhealthy lifestyle choices on others.

Fat acceptance.... a movement that totally disregards the plethora of medical evidence that links obesity to numerous ailments (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, bone and joint problems etc...) so that people may feel good about and justify their sloth when it comes to the crappy diet and exercise choices that they make every day.

I don't want to get this thread shut down, but this is my field (PhD in Obesity Studies and I work for a health MegaCorp who happens to produce "protein bars") and I 100% agree with everything you said. I don't understand the fascination with protein bars. 95% of them are literally nothing more than a candybar with some added protein. The others are an amalgamation of whole nutrient-dense foods which would probably be better tasting and certainly cheaper if consumed separately. The process of making them into a specific bar texture requires a lot of things which I would prefer not to put in my body. My wife will occasionally eat my company's bars or a Quest bar, but it is primarily for taste and convenience (and we get them for free). Somehow marketing has many convinced that these very expensive candybars are healthier than whole unprocessed food, but from both a nutrition and cost perspective nuts/seeds, boiled eggs, a can of tuna, a cup of Greek yogurt, etc. would all be better alternatives.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:14 pm

I buy my protein powder from Costco.

I use the low-carb Chocolate Cytosport brand.

2.5 scoops (50+ gms of protein)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 avocado
6 oz of frozen baby spinach
handful of frozen blueberry/raspberry/strawberry medley

Result is a delicious high-protein, high-fat, high-fiber, low carb breakfast.