Bavaria - Bike Touring?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
renue74

Bavaria - Bike Touring?

Post by renue74 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm planning a vacation for next summer. This past summer, my wife and I went to Italy (Venice/Florence/Rome) and Switzerland. She's getting her 2nd masters and she goes to school all year....so today she told me "just do what ever want to do...I can't go." :-)

So...I'm thinking about a "long" bike tour in Bavaria.

Maybe Fussen to Salzburg or something similar. I'm looking at 7-10 days.

Any suggestions on routes and/or tour companies? I see a lot of self-guided tour with pretty reasonable prices.

Raybo

Re: Bavaria - Bike Touring?

Post by Raybo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm

I've not ridden in Germany, though. I've heard good things about its bicycling infrastructure.

As a place to start, here are 34 links to information about bike touring in Germany. Not all of them will be of interest to you, but some will be a good place to start your research.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:40 pm

So it looks like the Lake Constance to Königssee Cycleway is a possible vacation.

http://www.bodensee-koenigssee-radweg.de/en/facts/

It appears the whole Bavarian region is very bike friendly. I'm considering taking my 13 year old son (instead of my wife). The route visits 2 of King Ludwig's castles and some beautiful scenery.

I'm trying to find a bike rental and luggage transfer provider, but appears that the pricing is pretty good even going through a tour company that handles it all..like $900 for 11 days.

martiansteeler

Post by martiansteeler » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 pm

I've not done tours in Southern Bayern, but tours in Northern Bayern (the Franconia region) are wonderful.

Typically the prices are low, the food and beer great.

I'm sure you have seen this page: http://www.bodensee-koenigssee-radweg.d ... -products/ If you go to http://www.sportive-reisen.de they have quite a few radrisen (bike tours). If you need any help translating, let me know.

SamB

Post by SamB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:37 pm

This is not specifically Bavaria, but there is a paved bike trail along the Danube south of Vilshofen.
We did the river boat cruise from Budapest to Vilshofen and there was an option to take the bike for 20 miles on the bike trail along the shore and meet the boat at the next city, Durnstein to Melk. The trail was very popular and apparently many people were taking biking vacations along this trail. I heartily recommend it.

Note that it was all paved bike trail, no roads involved. It looked to me like bike touring could be tricky in some very scenic areas, for example the lakes region in Austria. This area was heavily traveled by tour buses and cars and there were no shoulders for bikers.

Amawaterways has partnered with Backroads, and they offer a biking package. Backroads supplies the bikes and supports the routes which are coordinated with the river boat ports of call. If you want to get up in the morning, be served breakfast by a guy in a Tuxedo, and then walk on shore to meet the Backroads van with your bike for a very easy route through the town and countryside this is for you. You spend all of your nights on board the boat in what I would describe as very plush conditions.

daveatca

Vermont Bike Tours

Post by daveatca » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Maybe
http://www.vbt.com/destinations/europe/

Friends are in Italia right now and are happy.

quietseas

Post by quietseas » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:22 pm

gd

Post by gd » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:22 am

Never biked on this route, but from looking at the map, the Bodensee-Koenigssee route will be a mix of foot/bike paths, local roads between towns and in-town roads, with occasional stretches of 2-lane highway that is just as likely to have slow-moving tractors. Cows generally stay on the side roads, fenders advised. You'll have lots of bikes everywhere on the route, from old ladies tottering about town to vacationers showing off their spandex. You're skirting the alps and it is a big tourist area, so I'd guess it won't necessarily be restful, but it will be scenic.

If you're not on a schedule, dip south at Immenstadt towards points south and Oberstdorf, and go tandem paragliding or up some cablecars. Lots of German tourists but few Americans, as the American guidebooks lost track of the entire region a few decades ago. Minimal German will help but not essential, good luck with the local dialect.
http://www.oberstdorf.de/webcams/
http://www.oberstdorf.de/en/
http://www.oberstdorf.de/

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:11 am

It's technically not 100% Bavaria, but what about the "Romantic Road"?

http://www.romanticroadgermany.com/general/biking.php
Stay on target...

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:36 am

renue74 wrote:I'm planning a vacation for next summer. This past summer, my wife and I went to Italy (Venice/Florence/Rome) and Switzerland. She's getting her 2nd masters and she goes to school all year....so today she told me "just do what ever want to do...I can't go." :-)

So...I'm thinking about a "long" bike tour in Bavaria.

Maybe Fussen to Salzburg or something similar. I'm looking at 7-10 days.

Any suggestions on routes and/or tour companies? I see a lot of self-guided tour with pretty reasonable prices.
Consider looking at the routes that the bicycle tour companies take. The distances between stops are very reasonable. Then just do the route yourself unless you need someone to carry luggage, make reservations and be a concierge. It will cost you a fraction of the price and you do it at your own pace. Also take into consideration that you can easily put your bicycle on the train to go from one area to the other without necessarily having to bicycle between them. Example, if you would like to see Salzburg, Vienna, Munich and Nurnberg you can tour around each and then train to the next city and bicycle once you get there. Obviously they are not all Bavaria but they're in close proximity and you get the idea. It sounds like a really fun trip. I have family in Bavaria and have been visiting there for decades. It is absolutely beautiful. Don't miss Nurnberg.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:16 am

One beauty of cycling in Bavaria are the outdoors, the mountains, the other scenery. Since the OP has been to Rome, Florence they are probably familiar with the car traffic in those cities which I will say are not quite conducive to cycling.

Biking in cities like Munich, Vienna, Salzburg will be less pleasant than biking in the countryside. If one wanted to visit these cities, then staying in a pension or Gaststätte on the periphery and taking public transportation into the central district for a day or so would be a better idea I would think. Or stay in the cities, but cycle between train stations in the outskirts by using the trains to get into and out of the cities at start/end of days.

And be sure to visit bike shops and collect the local jersey as a souvenir. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:03 am

livesoft wrote:One beauty of cycling in Bavaria are the outdoors, the mountains, the other scenery. Since the OP has been to Rome, Florence they are probably familiar with the car traffic in those cities which I will say are not quite conducive to cycling.

Biking in cities like Munich, Vienna, Salzburg will be less pleasant than biking in the countryside. If one wanted to visit these cities, then staying in a pension or Gaststätte on the periphery and taking public transportation into the central district for a day or so would be a better idea I would think. Or stay in the cities, but cycle between train stations in the outskirts by using the trains to get into and out of the cities at start/end of days.

And be sure to visit bike shops and collect the local jersey as a souvenir. :)
Agree with Rome and Florence but Munich and Vienna have really nice and extensive bike lanes and paths that are in the urban core but do not share the road with cars. A really pleasant way to get around the town and see the sights. In the countryside, it is amazingly beautiful but fast cars, motorcycles and large tour busses can get a little close when passing.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:29 am

ZumZabo wrote:Agree with Rome and Florence but Munich and Vienna have really nice and extensive bike lanes and paths that are in the urban core but do not share the road with cars. A really pleasant way to get around the town and see the sights. In the countryside, it is amazingly beautiful but fast cars, motorcycles and large tour busses can get a little close when passing.
Yes, commuting by bike in Munich is not unpleasant. I did it for many years. I find that commuting and touring are not the same thing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.