Thinking of switching from phone to phablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Thinking of switching from phone to phablet

Post by TheTimeLord »

I handle a lot of work email on my phone so I am considering trading my iPhone 6 for a iPhone 6s Plus. Phablet users how satisfied are you with the larger form factor. Does it fit in your front pocket easily. More importantly can you remove it from your pocket easily. Appreciate your pros and cons of the larger form factors.

And yes my considering upgrading my phone means I am seriously thinking I will do another OMY.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Liberty1100

Re: Thinking of switching from phone to phablet

Post by Liberty1100 »

I only have a iPhone6, but I know what you mean. If you like the size of the iPhone 6plus, but you don't like how hard it is to get out, you could always pick up a smartwatch. The smartwatch allows you to see your notifications quickly and effortlessly. It would complicate your transition, but it is worth a try.

From everything I have heard, I have yet to find any real complaints with those who got the plus. They seem 100% happy with it. I'm sure you adjust quickly to it.
azb

Post by azb »

I have had a Samsung Note for the past two years and love it. For me, the biggest benefit is that the larger screen makes it far easier to read. I only rarely have calls on the smart phone, and largely use the phone for web access and email, and for those purposes the Note in wonderful. I can fit the phone in my shirt pocket or front pants packet. I have not regretted my decision.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

azb wrote:IFor me, the biggest benefit is that the larger screen makes it far easier to read.
That is the benefit I am hoping for. Thanks for the feedback.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I had the same concerns but I love the 6 Plus and am glad I went with it. My wife loves it too and so does everyone I know. I don't think it's tough to get out of my pocket -- it's never been stuck in my pocket :)

The battery life is better than the smaller version too and I believe the camera is a step up (with optical stabilization). I doubt you'll be disappointed, but I believe you can return within a certain number of days if you are.
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

I suggest you stop by the Apple Store and try sliding it in and out of your pocket before making the decision.

It is substantially larger.

Best wishes.
soupcxan

Post by soupcxan »

[deleted]
Last edited by soupcxan on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

TheTimeLord wrote:I handle a lot of work email on my phone so I am considering trading my iPhone 6 for a iPhone 6s Plus. Phablet users how satisfied are you with the larger form factor. Does it fit in your front pocket easily. More importantly can you remove it from your pocket easily. Appreciate your pros and cons of the larger form factors.

And yes my considering upgrading my phone means I am seriously thinking I will do another OMY.
I went to a Galaxy Note 3 for that very reason. I didn't want to have a separate 'tablet' to read articles etc (though it'd be nice), and the Note series is large - makes doing things easier. It also has this pen attachment which is really useful.
I know they're up to the Note 5 by now, but, the 3 was nearly free w/ new models coming out. I like it. Though, its pretty big when put on your belt in a case....

FWIW
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I have the iPhone 6 and my wife the 6 Plus. I specifically did not get the 6 plus because it was way too inconvenient in my pocket. The form factor for actually doing things on it is very nice though. If you don't have to put it in your pants pocket (i.e., if you wear suit jackets all the time) then i would go for it.
karpems

Post by karpems »

Just switched to the 6s plus. I LOVE IT!

I bought a wallet case. I'm 5'7 and I don't have any problem fitting it in my pocket.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Looked at both since I had to buy a phone recently. I opted for 6s... for me seems perfect size. 6s plus was just too big to deal with for the way I normally dress and carry my phone.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

It really is a personal choice. I went from a 6 Plus to a 6 after 2 months of dealing with the "unwieldiness" the former. My brother was quite happy to take the 6 Plus off my hands.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

I used to have iPhone 5. Moved to iPhone 6+ and really enjoy using it.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

My wife and I both changed from iPhone 4s to 6plus.
It is so much easier to read. The size doesn't matter to either of us.
We both just got iWatches and absolutely love them.
eethy

Post by eethy »

I had a series of iPhones for years, then switched to an Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which is roughly the size of the new larger iPhones (I think).

I am 100% glad that I made the switch. The device is now actually useful for all sorts of things that were absurd/prohibitive on my previous smaller phones. For me the larger screen is totally worth putting up with the larger size.

As with my previous iPhones I mainly carry it in a jacket pocket, so the larger size isn't a major inconvenience.

I understand you're considering an iPhone, not an Android phone. But I think I'd probably say the same this about an iPhone 6 or whatever they call the new larger ones now.

In particular, texting and email is easier. Having one of those aftermarket predictive keyboards also helps, like SwiftKey.

One caveat. Although working with text is easier, it still isn't as easy as with a physical keyboard. If I have a computer available, I'm going to use the computer, not the phone.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

I got the 6SPlus the day it came out. I was a bit unsure about it's size. It fits ok in my pocket. It's notably larger to handle, and I find myself more worried about mishandling/dropping it, but perhaps that will pass. We just returned from 8 days in nyc. I brought my iPad and phone, and found I never used the iPad once. I read several entire issues of the New Yorker on it, and was surprised how pleasant it was. I dont think I'd be as happy with the 6S. All in all I am very pleased. I should tell you I am a heavy user of computers/iPads up to this point.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Like several other posters, I have the Samsung Note 4 with a 5.7" screen which is even larger than the iPhone 6+. I've never second guessed my decision to go with the larger phone. It's so much easier to read and do some work that just wasn't practical with my previous smaller smartphones.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

eethy wrote:I had a series of iPhones for years, then switched to an Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which is roughly the size of the new larger iPhones (I think).

I am 100% glad that I made the switch. The device is now actually useful for all sorts of things that were absurd/prohibitive on my previous smaller phones. For me the larger screen is totally worth putting up with the larger size.

As with my previous iPhones I mainly carry it in a jacket pocket, so the larger size isn't a major inconvenience.

I understand you're considering an iPhone, not an Android phone. But I think I'd probably say the same this about an iPhone 6 or whatever they call the new larger ones now.

In particular, texting and email is easier. Having one of those aftermarket predictive keyboards also helps, like SwiftKey.

One caveat. Although working with text is easier, it still isn't as easy as with a physical keyboard. If I have a computer available, I'm going to use the computer, not the phone.
I have a Galaxy Note 4 as well. I love the screen size - 5.7" - bigger than any iPhone so far.
The combination of pen and predictive keyboard is helpful, but I still much prefer the 5-row physical keyboard I had on my Galaxy Relay 4G.
Alas, physical keyboard on smartphones seem to be a lost cause. So, like you, I'm still going to a computer with a proper user interface, ie. a physical keyboard, any chance I get.
furwut

Post by furwut »

TheTimeLord wrote: And yes my considering upgrading my phone means I am seriously thinking I will do another OMY.
What is an "OMY"?

If you frequently have to reply to work email from a location where you don't have access to a larger screen then a phablet could make sense for you. I've been looking at new phones recently* and I'm leaning towards an iPhone 6s because its not so large that it precludes one handed operation.

* I've been induced to upgrade from my iPhone 4 by this credit card offer from Citibank - AT&T Access More. $650 (less some fees that can't be avoided) off a new phone sounds good to me.
Last edited by furwut on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

One phablet benefit I hear about, though I personally am using an LG with a 4.5 inch display, is longer battery time between charges. Mainly because a bigger form factor allows for a bigger battery. Sometimes this benefit is offset a little by QHD hi-res displays. I charge my phone daily, iPhone 6+ users I know claim to get 18 hours.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

furwut wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote: And yes my considering upgrading my phone means I am seriously thinking I will do another OMY.
What is an "OMY"?

If you frequently have to reply to work email from a location where you don't have access to a larger screen then a phablet could make sense for you. I've been looking at new phones recently* and I'm leaning towards an iPhone 6s because its not so large that it precludes one handed operation.

* I've been induced to upgrade from my iPhone 4 by this credit card offer from Citibank - AT&T Access More. $650 (less some fees that can't be avoided) off a new phone sounds good to me.
One More Year of work. I would be upgrading to a 6s Plus for work reasons so if I get one I guess that means I am, at least subconsciously, planning for OMY.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

SpringMan wrote:One phablet benefit I hear about, though I personally am using an LG with a 4.5 inch display, is longer battery time between charges. Mainly because a bigger form factor allows for a bigger battery. Sometimes this benefit is offset a little by QHD hi-res displays. I charge my phone daily, iPhone 6+ users I know claim to get 18 hours.
I can definitely attest to that. The only thing I really missed going from 6 Plus to 6 is the battery life. Easily handled a full day in Disneyland (plenty of use as camera, some games while waiting in line and for communication) with 30% remaining by midnight. Other family members' phones (iPhone 4, 2x 5, 5c, 2x 5s and 6) were either dead or nearly dead by then. :mrgreen:
stratton

Post by stratton »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Like several other posters, I have the Samsung Note 4 with a 5.7" screen which is even larger than the iPhone 6+. I've never second guessed my decision to go with the larger phone. It's so much easier to read and do some work that just wasn't practical with my previous smaller smartphones.
It's bigger than the 5.5" screen on the Osborne 1 "portable" computer which was a svelt 23.5 pounds, but you do get an actual keyboard.

Love those floppy disks!

:twisted:

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

furwut wrote:...I'm leaning towards an iPhone 6s because its not so large that it precludes one handed operation.
IOS includes an interesting feature that allows one-handed operation on the bigger phones. It's called Reachability.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-r ... -6-6-plus/
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Ugh. Went to Apple Store, Best Buy and 2 AT&T stores and the only iPhone 6s Plus I could find was a Rose 16gb. At least I made my decision on if I wanted one or not. :oops:
jdb

Post by jdb »

The marriage made in heaven is the 6+ whatever smartphone and the Apple Watch. With the watch you don't need to extricate the iPhone from pocket when get messages or even phone calls.
sheneron

Post by sheneron »

jdb wrote:The marriage made in heaven is the 6+ whatever smartphone and the Apple Watch. With the watch you don't need to extricate the iPhone from pocket when get messages or even phone calls.
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

I made a cardboard mock up of a iPhone 6+ and walked around for a bit. Seems to feel just fine.

Just ordered a Nexus 6P phablet for $500. See the recent reviews if you are in the market for a new phone like me.
Last edited by BlueEars on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I have a 6 plus. No problem putting in or out of my pants pocket. However sitting down is a bit uncomfortable. I prefer to put it in my shirt pocket. Otherwise I use a case that I clip to my pocket.

I bought it more for the better battery then the additional screen size. I would have bought the 6 if it may an equal camera and battery.
Last edited by Leif on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Leif wrote:I have a 6 plus. No problem putting in or out of my pants pocket. However sitting down is a but uncomftable. I prefer to put it in my shirt pocket. Otherwise I use a case that I clip to my pocket.

I bought it more for the better battery then the additional screen size. I would have bought the 6 if it may an equal camera and battery.
Ever consider a Mophie Pack?

http://www.mophie.com/shop/battery-case ... e-iphone-6
Leif

Post by Leif »

No, I didn't know about that product. Looks good. If only it added image stabilization to the camera that is part of 6+.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I have the Galaxy Note and can't say enough good things about it. It acts as a phone, tablet, and paper pad all at once. I'm not sure I would read entire books on it, but I do find it sufficient for reading news articles and websites. I love love love the stylus as I enjoy the ability to handwrite things, and it also provides greater precision in typing and tapping.

I don't recommend the Galaxy Note 5. There really isn't much added over the 4, and the lack of replaceable battery gives it lower resale value than the previous editions. Since the earlier editions have replaceable batteries, you can save a lot by buying a used one and popping in a new battery (less than $20) so that it performs good as new.

Plus, being able to carry spare charged batteries comes in really handy on long plane trips or any other time you want an easy way to go from 0 to full in a few seconds. A spare battery for the Note 3 fits in my wallet. My spare battery came with a little plastic case to protect it when it's in my wallet.

If you keep your phone in your pocket, I definitely recommend testing the size in person. Some people find it way too big for their pockets.
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

Another solution if you don't like the size too much, would be to get a smartwatch. You could quickly look at notifications and then decide if you should pull out out phone or ignore. I recommend the Moto360 as a cheaper alternative to the Apple Watch.
FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei »

I have the LG G2 + a very heavy duty case on it. I gave up trying to put it in my pocket ages ago. I just hold it in my hand and set it down next to me when I sit down-- same way I would with a tablet.

I like my phone, much easier to read things quickly with the big screen. I actually also use it for reading books so I haven't had to buy a Kindle/tablet.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Another Note3 user here. It's a fantastic machine and still 'current' although it's technically two generations old already :beer The newer devices (including iphone 6+) don't deliver a significant edge that would justify an upgrade. Indeed the memory card slot and replaceable battery are good reasons to keep it.

These big phones are here to stay. Small enough to take with you, large enough for decent web browsing when necessary. I wouldn't even consider something smaller unless you mostly talk on the phone.
Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 »

I've also had the Note 3 for two years. I like the versatility and the screen size. I don't plan to trade it in anytime soon.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

stratton wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Like several other posters, I have the Samsung Note 4 with a 5.7" screen which is even larger than the iPhone 6+. I've never second guessed my decision to go with the larger phone. It's so much easier to read and do some work that just wasn't practical with my previous smaller smartphones.
It's bigger than the 5.5" screen on the Osborne 1 "portable" computer which was a svelt 23.5 pounds, but you do get an actual keyboard.

Love those floppy disks!

:twisted:

Paul
My company was an early adopter of the "suitcase" Osborne running CPM and then the Osborne Executive with the "huge" 7" yellow screen. I bought a number of them and gave them to my customers to key in their typesetting jobs and provide us with the floppy disks.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
davebo

Post by davebo »

I upgraded from an iphone 5s to a 6s plus and think it works great. At first it felt a little ridiculous since it was such a size difference, but I love it now. Honestly I haven't found anyone that found the size too big once they buy it. Most of the comments about how small all other phones look and how they couldn't go back.

It does look kinda ridiculous though if you're not used to it.
ChiefIlliniwek

Post by ChiefIlliniwek »

My brother in law has the Note 4 and hates it. He says it is too big and will be getting an iPhone 6s or Samsung 6 soon. It really all comes down to personal taste, so I would just go to a store buy one and try it out for a month and if you don't like it turn it back in and get a the 6s.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

TheTimeLord wrote:Ugh. Went to Apple Store, Best Buy and 2 AT&T stores and the only iPhone 6s Plus I could find was a Rose 16gb. At least I made my decision on if I wanted one or not. :oops:
Thanks for reminding me why I'm glad I switched to Android...

More seriously though.... I've become a big fan of Google Project Fi, I"m on month 3 and it's saving money and giving me a lot more features... I particularly have appreciated that it comes with free hotspot functionality and that international data is the same price. The automatic use of Wifi for voice had me worried but it's been seamless and the call quality has been much better than with the 3 bars of ATT network I got at home. But Fi requires a newer Nexus phone.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Finally got around to ordering my iPhone 6s Plus today. Should be here next week.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

jdb wrote:The marriage made in heaven is the 6+ whatever smartphone and the Apple Watch. With the watch you don't need to extricate the iPhone from pocket when get messages or even phone calls.
I wholeheartedly agree with the above post.
I really like being able to see emails/messages/take phone calls on my iwatch instead of having to pull out my iphone.
To me (and my wife also), the iWatch is very useful.
We are both very pleased with our iPhone 6Plus and iWatches....would do it all over again.

Good Luck with your choice.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Appreciate the comments confirming my thoughts that the larger screen makes the phone more useful in many ways.

I don't carry phones in clothing pockets. I carry a phone in my purse - so this is not an issue for me.

My concern is perhaps being out and about and getting a phone call while I have a bag of groceries or whatever in one hand. Can you easily use one hand to hold the phone to your ear to talk?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 »

I carry mine in my purse also. I've never had difficulty carrying things in one hand and talking on the phone with the other. The larger size is just going to feel very different until you become used to it.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

Barefootgirl wrote:My concern is perhaps being out and about and getting a phone call while I have a bag of groceries or whatever in one hand. Can you easily use one hand to hold the phone to your ear to talk?
How big are your hands? I have baby hands and I've dropped my 6+ one too many times doing that.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Average adult sized female hands
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
davebo

Post by davebo »

After using the 6s plus for a week I'm still trying to get used to it. The battery life and big screen are nice, but the one thing that I miscalculated is how much I use the phone with 1 hand.

Maybe it's because with my kids I always find like I'm either holding them or something of theirs with one hand so it's a little tough to get the phone out and use it with one hand. If you're just sitting on the couch, having the larger screen is definitely nice though.

There is a small chance I might return it and get the 6s.
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

davebo wrote:After using the 6s plus for a week I'm still trying to get used to it. The battery life and big screen are nice, but the one thing that I miscalculated is how much I use the phone with 1 hand.

Maybe it's because with my kids I always find like I'm either holding them or something of theirs with one hand so it's a little tough to get the phone out and use it with one hand. If you're just sitting on the couch, having the larger screen is definitely nice though.

There is a small chance I might return it and get the 6s.
You can use reachability feature for that purpose. It makes it easy to use the phone with one hand. :happy
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Barefootgirl wrote:My concern is perhaps being out and about and getting a phone call while I have a bag of groceries or whatever in one hand. Can you easily use one hand to hold the phone to your ear to talk?
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3, can't speak for later models, has a one handed mode. You swipe to the side of the screen and everything shrinks and gets docked on the side so you can operate it with one hand.

If you have really tiny hands, it might still be tough because your thumb might not be long enough.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

Barefootgirl wrote:...
My concern is perhaps being out and about and getting a phone call while I have a bag of groceries or whatever in one hand. Can you easily use one hand to hold the phone to your ear to talk?
Is there an Apple store near you? Then you could test it out for your concern. Or TMobile has some nice phones on display in their stores.

Alternately, if you don't mind being geeky you could cut out a model in cardboard and test the reach.

I think maybe the case you use will have something to do with how safely versatile you are with one-handed use.

I just got my Nexus 6P yesterday and it's really nice for a good price (compared to Apple and Samsung). Same size as the Iphone 6+.