Why do people drink light beer ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stev

Why do people drink light beer ?

Post by stev » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Why do people buy LIGHT BEER ?
I love the taste of Beer.
The more the taste, the more I like it.
I would never buy it "light".
But yet light beer is a big seller.
Is it low calorie? Beats me? :sharebeer

alpenglow

Re: Why do people drink LIGHT BEER ?

Post by alpenglow » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Have you tried Evil Twin Molotov Lite? Now that's a "lite" beer I can get into. :sharebeer

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Some people drink it because it is lower in alcohol and calories.

Others don't really like beer and drink it because it is also generally lower in flavor.

I very rarely drink one when I am in hot tropical country and just want something to quench my thirst and don't trust the water.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:40 pm

I seriously started drinking more IPAs a few years ago, b/c of the "bang for the buck". More alcohol %, in the same size. Love the taste of them, too.

For "light" beer - I got my DG switched to Bud Light Platinum from Coors Light. Light taste, but @ 6%, means you drink/need fewer.

:D

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Some light beer is great like a nice pilsner. A Tiger beer goes down really nice when munching at a hawker center in Singapore. A Kingfisher beer with yourIindian meal. A Singha with your Thai meal.

The first time I made Paul Prudhome's BBQ shrimp, it called for a can of Bud in the recipe and it was tasty. That's the only time I drink Bud. I wouldn't go for a Bud Light or Bud Light with lemon when there are so many other better options.

This summer we discovered a great Schofferhofer grapefruit radler and backed up the truck when we found it on sale.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

hudson

Re: Why do people drink light beer ?

Post by hudson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:57 pm

stev wrote:Why do people buy LIGHT BEER ?
When you are on Weight Watchers, and you are seriously counting points.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:57 pm

I drink light beer when I'm tailgating at a game or watching a game with friends at home/bar. In these situations, you tend to drink more and light beer has lower alcohol %, calories, and price.

I prefer the taste of craft beers though.

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Light beer is like diet pop: go for the real thing just don't over do it. Light beer is for college kids and tastes watered down. Real beer is for real men (and women). :beer I can see drinking a Corona on the beach or light beer for tailgating. It depends on the weather and what you like. You also don't want the infamous beer belly.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:04 pm

This comes close to being a General Comment thread.
OP should add additional content requesting beer selections of a certain type before LG shuts it down.

As for me, I typically prefer a good IPA, but not one with TOO high an IBU number...
Attempted new signature...

traveler90

Post by traveler90 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:06 pm

DSInvestor wrote:Some light beer is great like a nice pilsner. A Tiger beer goes down really nice when munching at a hawker center in Singapore. A Kingfisher beer with yourIindian meal. A Singha with your Thai meal.

When I'm in the Asia region I put back a lot of Tiger beer... Goes down very very easy :sharebeer

JZinCO

Post by JZinCO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:11 pm

surfstar wrote:I seriously started drinking more IPAs a few years ago, b/c of the "bang for the buck". More alcohol %, in the same size. Love the taste of them, too.
Funny, I've started drinking more session IPAs precisely because I want hoppiness without high ABV. :D

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Sometimes I cut my grass in the summer.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Because when you're offshore fishing in the Gulf of Mexico in South Mississippi summer sun, the last thing you really want is a heavy beer. Ice cold Coors Light goes down perfectly in that situation.

I'll drink almost any beer, but some scenarios (like the one above) call for light beer. Sometimes quantity is the word, rather than quality. Tailgating at football games all day, fishing offshore all day...you get the idea.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:23 pm

To keep this actionable, please focus on specific light beer recommendations (instead of a general like/hate rant).

Also see: Boglehead Beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:28 pm

My preference is to buy low - when the stores have a sale, I stock up. $1/beer for something good, like New Belgium or Firestone is my reference point.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Advertising :beer
Slow and steady wins the race.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:36 pm

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oc4boxer

Post by oc4boxer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:40 pm

I love really hoppy IPAs, but when it's hot out a light beer is way more refreshing.

amphora

Post by amphora » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Obviously it is cheaper when hosting a large party. Also because of lower ABV, one can consume more of them without becoming intoxicated...

My recommendation in this category is Miller High Life. :sharebeer :sharebeer

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:56 pm

It may well be that when it's 90+ outside, that a beverage that is half Real Beer and half water has an advantage, dehydration being what it is...
Attempted new signature...

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Almost any beer is preferable to a so-called "light beer," IMHO. For those occasions when I want something refreshing (like when eating spicy food), I'll take a lager like Tsingtao or Heineken. The worst imports seem to all be better than the mass-produced swill produced by American brewers* (actually, isn't Bud actually owned by a foreign company now?).

For those occasions where I want something slightly better I might consider a saison, hefeweizen, belgian or blonde. Those are all various shades of "refreshing" (although not necessarily low in alcohol).

EDIT: * - I should have used the term "mass brewer". There are many great American brewers, but they tend to be small ones.
Last edited by sillysaver on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

froman118

Post by froman118 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

sillysaver wrote:The worst imports seem to all be better than the mass-produced swill produced by American brewers (actually, isn't Bud actually owned by a foreign company now?).
Relevant financial news: Anheuser-Busch InBev Strikes $106 Billion Takeover Of Miller Lite Brewer SABMiller

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:13 pm

I prefer darker beers myself, but when I am out working in the heat, or doing strenuous activity, having an frosty cold light beer really hits the spot. The right beer for the right mood.
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jteigen

Post by jteigen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm a huge IPA fan, I love the bitterness, however I can't drink more than 3 of them in a day due to the high alcohol content. I drink light beer so that I can drink beer while I watch football all day. :sharebeer

JZinCO

Post by JZinCO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:23 pm

jteigen wrote:I'm a huge IPA fan, I love the bitterness, however I can't drink more than 3 of them in a day due to the high alcohol content. I drink light beer so that I can drink beer while I watch football all day. :sharebeer
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/session-ipa/121/ :sharebeer

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:29 pm

I was just talking about this with a friend. I know I'm probably in the minority, but who knows I didn't read the other replies yet, but I like light beer better and I'm talking about the taste not the calories. I only drink Bud Light, I just love the taste. Some light beers do not have any taste, but I find Bud Light has a certain taste that others don't and yes I can tell the difference. My friends and family love expensive beers that you can only find in certain stores and they are just too heavy for me and more on the bitter side.

I guess I'm a true Boglehead and have cheap taste. lol. However, I do like good wine, I just don't like to pay the prices.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 pm

I agree with the post above. A lot of light beers taste as good as their non light equivalents, such as Bud Light and Coors Light. Some however, do not. I love in ice cold Corona with lime during the summer but not a big fan of Corona Light, for example. :sharebeer

psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:39 pm

jteigen wrote:I'm a huge IPA fan, I love the bitterness, however I can't drink more than 3 of them in a day due to the high alcohol content. I drink light beer so that I can drink beer while I watch football all day. :sharebeer
This is the exact reason why they make session IPAs. I enjoy Lagunitas All Day IPA, but the best lighter beer I've ever had was a summer seasonal from Smuttynose called Hayseed. It's a farmhouse / table beer style, also called a grisette. It's 3.8% and I counted it as 4 Weight Watcher points, but that's just a guess since not many beer manufacturers give you the info to calculate WW points. The beer advocate reviews on this beer or mixed, people either seem to love or hate it.

JinroSoju

Post by JinroSoju » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:44 pm

I drink light beer because:

1. I have not yet acquired a taste for the non-light stuff.
2. Beer makes me feel all bloated and gross.
3. I can drink a few light beers one evening and feel fine the next day.
4. Light beer does not give me headaches.
5. It is less expensive than micro-brews, imports, etc.

:beer

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Obligatory...
Q: Why do people drink light beer?
A: Because it's so hard to keep it from sliding off a fork.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 pm

I drink it because I prefer the taste. My beer of choice is Old Mil Light. Do not judge unless you have consumed a six pack over the course of a week or two. I did, and got hooked. At $14 a thirty pack it's not a bad deal. Acquired taste as most beer, and in general all food, is.

I also will go for a legit Märzen in Germany when it is in season. That one I like because it also tastes really darn good.

kazper

Post by kazper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:15 pm

I would open up the question more. Why do you drink beer?

Personally, I cannot stand the taste. Because I don't drink it, my tolerance is like 0. My wife likes to make fun of me when I start buzzing on the extremely rare occasion I have a Smirnoff twisted or something... :annoyed

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Good question. It's rather wet and pointless.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:33 pm

It's an abomination

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:33 pm

nisiprius wrote:Obligatory...
Q: Why do people drink light beer?
A: Because it's so hard to keep it from sliding off a fork.
:) :)

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Tastes great...less fillimg

Tastes great....less filling

I like Coors Light.....

It tastes great....and....less filling

Have a cold one....and some pretzels

rob

Post by rob » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:56 pm

I always thought it was used to wash out the glass before putting in a real beer..... Personally, I just drink from the bottle, so pointless :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 pm

I drink Bud-Light because it's what I drank most in college...

I don't like heavy beers, because I've gotten used to Bud-Light, so that's my standard now.

This is like asking, "Why do people like oatmeal cookies, when chocolate chip cookies are so much better!"

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:11 pm

amphora wrote:Obviously it is cheaper when hosting a large party. Also because of lower ABV, one can consume more of them without becoming intoxicated...
Both of these... 30-pack of Bud Light is really cheap... And although I like a good buzz, I hate getting drunk... I like light beers because they never get me totally drunk. I stopped drinking hard alcohol a long time ago, because I hate being drunk.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm

Amstel Light beer is my favorite. That is why I drink it.
Dave

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Sometimes quantity is the word, rather than quality. Tailgating at football games all day, fishing offshore all day...you get the idea.
Another good point... When I'm at the lake in the summer, I don't want to drink 3 heavy beers... I want to drink 10 light beers, and make the drinking last all afternoon long with no hangover in the morning..

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:17 pm

When I want something to quench my thirst at the end of the evening an ice cold silver bullet in a bottle hits the spot. There are other occasions when an IPA or a Guinness Stout does the same. I think the occasion helps with the decision. It is the same reason I will drink a 15.5% Zinfandel when I really want to tie one on, or a 13.5% Petite Sirah when the evening dictates it, know what I mean?

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Drink regular beer,whole milk,full caffeine coffee,eat real butter etc :sharebeer
Last edited by joe8d on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All the Best, | Joe

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:20 pm

Everything has a time and a place. "Lite" beer is just a different type of beer. They don't taste "bad" (for the most part), just different. As others have mentioned, after manual labor or sports, a "lite" beer can actually be quite thirst-quenching. Admittedly, my go-to stuff if more flavorful craft-type stuff, but I still keep the light-type beers in the fridge.

I was talking about this with my wife after the recent merger and thought that it made sense for the huge light lager manufacturers to consolidate, as they appeal to the same market segment.

JT

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:32 pm

When you are out working in the yard and it is 100 degrees and humid a light beer (Michelob Ultra) - or two or six - goes down nice....better than water and doesn't weigh you down.....I guess you could drink water or wait until the day is done and have a heavier brew but....

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:35 pm

I don't know why people drink it. I am more of a wine/vodka/gin guy myself. If I am at a event that serves only beer, I will have maybe two Miller Lites. Which is barely any alcohol but makes me feel more "full in the belly" than half a bottle of vodka, a feeling I don't like. On a hot day I'd rather just have a cold Coke Zero and a shot of vodka from a bottle that's been in the freezer.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:16 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Sometimes quantity is the word, rather than quality. Tailgating at football games all day, fishing offshore all day...you get the idea.
Another good point... When I'm at the lake in the summer, I don't want to drink 3 heavy beers... I want to drink 10 light beers, and make the drinking last all afternoon long with no hangover in the morning..
Just like the guy in your avatar! No IPA's at Moes!

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:22 pm

I love a high octane IPA.

But sometimes it's hot outside and you have things to do and all you want to do is to power slam Corona or a Miller Lite and carry on.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't always drink beer but when I do I prefer Dos Equis. Not really, I'm more a Michelob Ultra guy because it makes for a great bratwurst hot tub filler and is fantastic after mowing the lawn on a 100 degree Texas day :happy

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:26 pm

For all you guy IPA lovers, be careful :wink:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/06/ ... man-boobs/
Men who drink lot of hoppy beer, like a strong India Pale Ale, may see some unwanted effects, like man boobs, premature aging, sluggishness, tooth decay, hair loss and a beer belly.
I drink mostly light beers in the summer time and darker/IPA's in the winter months. Not many beers I don't like however. When young all I could afford was cheap beer, that's still fine with me.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-