Any Boglehead [game] hunters?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Makaveli

Any Boglehead [game] hunters?

Post by Makaveli » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:17 pm

I mainly hunt whitetail in the mid west. Possible big game hunt out west. Three rifles of interest.

30-06

In regards to purchasing, should used guns be treated like new/used cars? I would only buy a used car but for some reason buying a used gun feels different. Have you bought a used gun before? How'd it work out?

YttriumNitrate

Re: Any Boglehead hunters?

Post by YttriumNitrate » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:41 pm

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:43 pm

In Michigan we use shotguns :mrgreen:
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:44 pm

I've tried, but it can be hard to identify true Bogleheads through a scope. :beer
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:50 pm

As the current owner of my late father's and grandfather's firearms, used guns will last if well taken care of. I've hunted mule deer, elk, antelope growing up in the west, and caribou, bear, moose after moving a bit farther north. A .270 is what I used for critters in the west as a young man, it's a good choice.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:50 pm

For what it's worth, I use a .30-30 up here, but that's because where I hunt the brush is so thick and the distance is relatively short. I've only bought one used gun and that was a 20 gauge for skunks, porcupines, etc., I might run across when I was out at my property and not hunting. I bought it used because I left it out there and if someone stole it I wouldn't be heartbroken. All my other firearms are new. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a second hand gun since I'd have no way of knowing how it was used/abused. Since I'm not the world's greatest shot by any stretch of the imagination, every time I shot and missed I'd curse the gun and/or previous owner. With new firearms I don't have any excuses....

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 pm

I have bought plenty (10-15) of used guns over the years. I actually prefer buying them used.

But I only buy when I can handle the gun and check it for excessive wear or any other glaring issues.

IMO, they make even more sense than buying used cars. I've never had one lose value over time, and many gain in value. And I'm not just talking about collector's items either. Just ordinary "working" guns.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:04 pm

I bought a used gun, worked out fine*. Like most things you'll do better buying used if you know a few things about the product. I wouldn't buy without some sort of return guarantee after you've had a chance to take it to the range, and if you're want have a gunsmith look it over.

*Actually the place I bought it from just won a widely-seen court case about their poor practices and lost their federal firearms license, which poor reputation I wasn't aware of at the time.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Not yet a hunter, but both my wife and I love to shoot. We're moving to north Idaho next year after I retire, and plan to do some hunting up there. We should be able to take whitetail and turkeys right on our property.

As far as the used firearm question, I have purchased a couple lightly used firearms - one semi-auto pistol one revolver. I'm quite happy with both of those purchases, and in general I think it's OK so long as you can inspect the firearm carefully before committing. It would be ideal to be able to test fire it first, but I don't know how often that would be possible.
Last edited by DFrank on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I would have no problem buying long guns used if through someone that handles such transactions. I would be less likely to buy from an individual. I would never buy a handgun used because of possible ties to prior misuse.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Any Boglehead [game] hunters?

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:58 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (hunting).

I also retitled the thread to clarify that Bogleheads are not the ones being hunted. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

white_water

Post by white_water » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Bought and sold many used over 60 years w/ no problems. You probably know about inspection for excessive head space ( rifles) as well as overall condition. Working with a reputable dealer who has a return policy helps avoid issues. At age 73 now only shoot clay target games.

whomever

Post by whomever » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:46 pm

"Have you bought a used gun before? How'd it work out?"

Sure, no problems. Unlike cars, guns usually don't wear out. You can wear one out - centerfire rifle barrels start to lose accuracy after some thousands of rounds, or small parts like springs can wear out. In general, though, chronological age isn't important. That's not to say there aren't lemons out there - guns that don't feed reliably or whatever - it's just that new ones may not be any better in that regard than old ones. I know I've had to send a couple of new ones back so the factory could try again. Most manufacturers have pretty good customer service in that regard, although shipping is a bit of a hassle.

As with cars, the best situation is buying from a friend who knows it works fine. Outside of that, new or used, I'd stick to one of the common brands if possible. You'll be able to find replacement parts, accessories, and people who know how to fix them.

From a strictly utilitarian POV, a new Ruger American or Savage can be had for under $500.

camper

Post by camper » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 pm

I bought a used Ruger American .270 off of gunbroker.com a couple of years ago.
Transaction went smooth.
Rifle shoots straight.
I will be hunting Whitetail in a couple of weeks.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:39 pm

I once killed a deer with a Toyota Camry.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I like to hunt...a lot :)

The ballistics betwen a 30.06 and .308 are nearly identical. A .270 is a great choice as well. With bullet choices these days, you'd be fine with any of the three.

Regarsing used, I've bought and sold mnay used guns. It takes A LOT of shooting to wear out a gun. Most people pnly shoot their rifle a handful of times a year (right or wrong, that's the truth).

Good deals can be had on new and used guns. The most important thing is to find one you really like.

Another thing to consider is buying new online like from Bud's Gun Shop. Good prices and safe/easy.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 pm

I used to hunt. Shot my last buck with a 7mm which was borrowed from a friend. After I shot the deer and walked up to it I realized that it only had 3 points on each side. And, in western PA at the time, in the county I'm in, it had to have 4 points to be legal. So, I called the game warden and he came out and inspected it, sawed off the horns, and gave me a $25 fine. Not the worst that could've happened but nonetheless left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would like to hunt again but the only rifle I own now is a 1943 K31 Karabiner Swiss service rifle. Fascinating, accurate gun with a nice history behind it, which is why I bought it, but it's extremely heavy and has no scope. I'll be looking around myself for a used rifle for hunting. Interested in hearing more responses.

Edited to add: The K31 has a small tag under the buttplate with the rifle owners name and address to whom it was issued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K31
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:03 pm

tludwig23 wrote:I've tried, but it can be hard to identify true Bogleheads through a scope. :beer

Rim shot
Gordon

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:09 pm

I own mostly "used". Very rarely will you have a problem if you can inspect it. You can buy a headspace gauge if you have any concern about things you can't see with the naked eye.

JT