[All weather car mats]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jasc15

Re: All weather car mats

Post by jasc15 »

This thread made me look up rubber mats for my car (2007 Volvo V50). A set of 4 OEM all weather mats for my car is only $60. I might do it. Weathertech is a bit too :moneybag for me.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

jasc15 wrote:This thread made me look up rubber mats for my car (2007 Volvo V50). A set of 4 OEM all weather mats for my car is only $60. I might do it. Weathertech is a bit too :moneybag for me.
I might not put them in an 8 year old car either. But we have them in both cars and like them a lot.

That said, can't say as I did a detailed market survey.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
communipaw

Re: Mats for Car

Post by communipaw »

1. Most people are recommending Weathertech; when I look that up it appears to be Herrington? Is there a difference in quality /price between Weathertech and Herrington? Is one just the sales arm and the other the manufacturer?

2. I've a 2013 Accord Sedan used in the city and on the highway; no unpaved roads, no construction sites. I see no need for an "extreme duty floor liner" and an "all weather mat". But is there any reason for a floor liner that I'm overlooking? Thank you
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [All weather car mats]

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged Goodman60's and ved's threads.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Broken Man 1999

Re: Mats for Car

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

communipaw wrote:1. Most people are recommending Weathertech; when I look that up it appears to be Herrington? Is there a difference in quality /price between Weathertech and Herrington? Is one just the sales arm and the other the manufacturer?

2. I've a 2013 Accord Sedan used in the city and on the highway; no unpaved roads, no construction sites. I see no need for an "extreme duty floor liner" and an "all weather mat". But is there any reason for a floor liner that I'm overlooking? Thank you
Ever enjoy a hot or cold beverage on the way to/from work?

Ever transport children? They are typically dirt magnets, and well versed in the art of spillage.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

communipaw wrote: 1. Most people are recommending Weathertech; when I look that up it appears to be Herrington? Is there a difference in quality /price between Weathertech and Herrington? Is one just the sales arm and the other the manufacturer? 2. I've a 2013 Accord Sedan used in the city and on the highway; no unpaved roads, no construction sites. I see no need for an "extreme duty floor liner" rather than an "all weather mat". But maybe I'm missing something: is there any reason for a floor liner over a good mat that I'm overlooking? Thank you

Ever enjoy a hot or cold beverage on the way to/from work? Ever transport children? They are typically dirt magnets, and well versed in the art of spillage. Broken Man 1999
My car is a "no liquid" car .. which can cause discussions with passengers. But my main question: is a floor liner essentially different than a floor mat besides the uplifts at the door edge?
iceport

Post by iceport »

communipaw wrote:But my main question: is a floor liner essentially different than a floor mat besides the uplifts at the door edge?
Absolutely; it's not porous. This keeps corrosive deicing salts from seeping through fabric mats to the steel floor below. It also confines that salt and the rest of the road grime to a surface that can be easily cleaned. If you're referring to a rubber, non-porous floor mat, then yes, the deep edges might be the most distinguishing characteristic. Without the edges, water, snow, sand, salt and mud easily spills over onto the porous carpet below.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
davebo

Post by davebo »

Weathertech is a local company here and I used to hear their radio commercials on the air all the time. To be honest, I always thought they were a small company and just sprung for a radio blitz to get the word out, I had no idea that they had such a strong brand nationwide.

I think it's because I am not a neat freak with my car, but I don't get the point of expensive mats. There is a floor mat there already? That's where your shoes go, why do you want it to be clean? I've actually never even thought about it or considered it a problem.
joebh

Post by joebh »

leonard wrote:
joebh wrote:Both my wife and I have WeatherTech floor mats for each of our Subarus.

Ugly as hell. If the grandkids weren't always tracking beach sand into the car, I would never get them. Oh well.
1. Waterproof
2. Traps dirt tracked in to the car.
3. Tough - lasts and lasts.
4. Custom fit to the floor......

127. Aesthetics

Definitely somewhere toward the absolute bottom of the list.
I'm all for utilitarianism, and I put up with the look of the fugly mats accordingly. I'd still probably rate Aesthetics a bit higher on my list.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

davebo wrote:I think it's because I am not a neat freak with my car, but I don't get the point of expensive mats. There is a floor mat there already? That's where your shoes go, why do you want it to be clean? I've actually never even thought about it or considered it a problem.
I think it depends where you live.

One of the guys I worked with ranted about the Feds making windshield washers mandatory on the grounds of "how lazy can you be, it only takes 30 seconds to wash the window once a month". This was countered by a combat veteran saying that running out of washer fluid on I-90 in January was the scariest moment of his life. (Probably hyperbole on his part, but it's what he said.)