Where to retire in Florida?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Agcentral

Where to retire in Florida?

Post by Agcentral » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Looking to retire in Florida. Target 14 months.
Preference is to be on the West Coast.
But where exactly to buy… I don’t know.
Plan is to move into a rental and look around for a year.
My question is… how do I narrow the choices down?
Not much luck so far in searching the internet.
They have sites for the 10 Best… 15 Best places to retire which have a tendency to vary from year to year.
I’m not sure a real estate agent is of value as their interests are likely to be local so they can make their sale.

Hoping somebody can steer me as to the best resource for finding where to even start looking?

Please help.

PoppyA

Re: Where to retire in Florida?

Post by PoppyA » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 pm

What size city are you interested in?
"La Bella Luna"

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Probably not the best place to start to narrow down as there is a lot of info there but city data is a great place to ask questions about areas and find out about specific places.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi, we lived 3 years in Lakeland FL and liked it quite a bit (moved west due to job). Lakeland is half way between Orlando and Tampa on the I4 corridor. Small town feel with a nice downtown square. Interestingly it has one of the largest hospitals in FL so good medical care available and Florida Southern College has a beautiful campus. We lived south of town off S Florida Ave in the Christina subdivision which has beautiful old live oak trees and several small ponds. Take a look at Zillow:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/fs ... _zm/0_mmm/

Along the west coast . . . I'm familiar with Pinellas county. Dunedin is on the water and is another nice small town. Up north county, Tarpon Springs and New Port Richey are two places to consider.

My brother lives in Siesta Key outside of Sarasota. Probably the best beach on the west coast, laid back living.

You didn't say if this move was for retirement or you plan on working so can't say much about employment opportunities.

Hope this helps. Happy to follow up.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Agcentral wrote:Looking to retire in Florida. Target 14 months.
Preference is to be on the West Coast.
But where exactly to buy… I don’t know.
Plan is to move into a rental and look around for a year.
My question is… how do I narrow the choices down?
Not much luck so far in searching the internet.
They have sites for the 10 Best… 15 Best places to retire which have a tendency to vary from year to year.
I’m not sure a real estate agent is of value as their interests are likely to be local so they can make their sale.

Hoping somebody can steer me as to the best resource for finding where to even start looking?

Please help.
Yes, rent for a few years until you figure out where you want to live. No hurry. You'll know it when you find it.

Buying without trying is a fools errand.

terran

Post by terran » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 pm

I have family in and have visited the tampa/st petersburg/sarasota are and it seems pretty cool with lots of cultural stuff going on.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 pm

Siesta Key area is Very Nice :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:54 pm

The "best places to retire" lists are mostly hogwash.

I suggest you rent instead of buy for the first couple of years - at least - starting in Ocala/Spring Hill and go south toward Marco. The area north of the I-4 corridor is definitely cooler as fronts often stop there for some reason, but it can get to freezing even in Fort Myers. The further you are from the Gulf (I'm talking just 10 miles), you will see much wider temperature swings than close to the beaches. In my area, the lows for the next week range mid-60's with high's in the upper 80's (20-25 degree difference). Closer to the beach, lows in the low 70's and highs mid 80's (about a 15 degree variation).

Blanket statements about cities are not very helpful. There are enclaves in many locations that are highly desirable. There are areas to avoid like the plague - OFTEN geographically close to the same desirable enclaves.

The only way you can narrow your choices is by GOING there and seeing them and staying for a few days. Their presentation varies by season.

A few words of caution:
The beach communities have highly transient populations, are subject to hurricane flood risk and are in constant gridlock between the end of October to mid-April every year. There are 'sweet spots' found in many communities by being 5 to 20 minutes inland from the beaches. Prices rise dramatically when you get closer to the beaches. In my opinion, it's not worth the premium paid.

Florida is mainly a 'driver's commuting' destination. Unless you are in a pedestrian (live here, work here, play here) type of locale, you really will not be within walking distance to grocery stores, shopping, pharmacy, doctors, restaurants, etc... Summers here are BRUTAL and don't expect to be walking any distance during mid-day in July. The reality is you go from air-conditioned home to air-conditioned car to air-conditioned destination from May to late September. Before May and after September is when the best weather is, like the weather we are only now beginning to enjoy.

Do you want to be near an airport or cruise port? Are theme parks something you've craved to do? Fishing? Beach combing? Golf?

Make a list of the things you think you really want to do on a consistent basis and start there.
There are a lot of new developments going in so there is no shortage of inventory at all.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

jcar

Post by jcar » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm considering a relocation to Florida as well, at least for a part of each year. Am considering the Treasure Island area to rent for awhile. I seldom here it mentioned but have spent time their on business and vacation over several years. Anyone familiar with this area. Thanks

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 am

I lived in Pinellas County for 38 years. Owned a home in a flood zone for 11 years.

Just keep in mind that homeowner's insurance is much more expensive in Florida than many other places. The regular homeowner's is a dual policy that includes hurricane coverage, and if you are in a flood zone, well, it gets even more expensive. When I lived in Florida I was paying 4 times as much in insurance for an 1100 sq ft concrete block house as I am now in NJ for a 1900 sq ft wood frame house valued at double the replacement cost.

If I was going to live on the west coast, I'd look for something a bit inland (to avoid flood insurance) in either Pasco, Hernando or Sarasota Counties, or perhaps eastern Hillsborough/western Polk around Plant City.

Pinellas and Hillsborough, as much as I loved the area, was just getting too crowded. Pinellas County has the highest population density of any county in Florida. There's a lot of commuters and only 16 lanes of bridges that cross the bay between the two counties.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:05 am

Don't forget to factor in access to excellent healthcare. That would generally exclude most rural areas. If you have a particular health problem or expect to develop one based on family history, find a good doctor/facility first and move to an area near that doctor/facility.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:55 am

Agcentral wrote:
Preference is to be on the West Coast. Why the west coast???

My question is… how do I narrow the choices down? For which, buying or renting?

Hoping somebody can steer me as to the best resource for finding where to even start looking? For rentals ?
What do you enjoy?
Are you a golfer or a boater, a homebody or outdoor type ?
Last edited by Bustoff on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:37 am

Absolutely pick a spot and go for a week to try it out. Do it in the summer. We thought Ft Myers was the ideal place and went for a week in August. Its crossed off our list. Way too hot for me. I'm a cold weather guy and will spend and entire day out in the snow as happy as can be. I'm unhappy whenever the temp is over 70. It took that trip to understand that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

GaryEsq

Post by GaryEsq » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:59 am

We have had a condo in Naples for the past 10 years and absolutely love it down there; nice beaches, great restaurants and plenty to do. Unfortunately, just like the rest of Florida, it gets pretty crowded in the winter months. I agree that you should check out a few areas before you commit, but I think the west coast is a great place to start your search.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:04 am

Sounds like you are taking the right approach. Try before you buy. Where is largely dependent on what you are looking for...weather, population, culture, sport activities, community living, etc. I ran across a magazine in the library "Where to retire", might be worth looking at.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:05 am

We have enjoyed the west coast of Florida the best. Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, etc. Siesta Key Sarasota is beautiful. We have not visited Naples as of yet.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:13 am

nolesrule wrote:Just keep in mind that homeowner's insurance is much more expensive in Florida than many other places. The regular homeowner's is a dual policy that includes hurricane coverage, and if you are in a flood zone, well, it gets even more expensive. When I lived in Florida I was paying 4 times as much in insurance for an 1100 sq ft concrete block house as I am now in NJ for a 1900 sq ft wood frame house valued at double the replacement cost.
Also keep in mind that a few years ago, sinkhole coverage was dropped from the standard insurance policy. If you want sinkhole coverage, you have to have an inspection every few years--and may be rated higher depending on what they find.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Tampa, treasure island/ st. Pete, Pinellas county are traffic nightmares.
"La Bella Luna"

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:35 pm

How would you describe the Venice, Port Charlotte, etc area?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Dee Stroir

Post by Dee Stroir » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:24 pm

I grew up in Sarasota and moved to Michigan to raise my kids. It is a beautiful place to vacation, and many consider it a great place to live. I could not take the traffic, the tourists, and the tourist prices anymore. The population is increasing exponentially and all of the trees and wildlife are strip malls now. It is only going to get worse.

I would advise anyone looking to relocate there to go once in August to get a feel for how hot it is 6 months out of the year, and once in February to get a feeling for how traffic swarms when the population of town doubles each winter because of the snowbirds. A 10 minute drive in the summer takes 30-45 minutes in the winter. They can't build wider roads fast enough. 25% of the people on the road should not have a license because they are blind or medicated, and the other 25% don't care if you are late for work because they are on vacation and paid for it. That leaves 50% of the people who are local. You will notice them because they will be the ones that look angry when they drive.

Florida may be the place for you, but I would highly recommend visiting at several different times a year to get a taste of how it will be.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:How would you describe the Venice, Port Charlotte, etc area?

Been to Venice and it's cute, tends to have retirees that are little older than other areas.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:52 am

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:04 am

Anyone know if Stuart or Hobe Sound is a nice place to live?

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Bustoff wrote:Anyone know if Stuart or Hobe Sound is a nice place to live?
Stuart is fine but Hobe Sound is a haven for the very wealthy, much like Palm Beach.
Gill

ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:18 am

PoppyA wrote:Tampa, treasure island/ st. Pete, Pinellas county are traffic nightmares.
Compared to Boston, LA, San Francisco, NYC? Nope! I've lived there and moved back to Tampa every time.

ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:21 am

nolesrule wrote: Pinellas and Hillsborough, as much as I loved the area, was just getting too crowded. Pinellas County has the highest population density of any county in Florida. There's a lot of commuters and only 16 lanes of bridges that cross the bay between the two counties.
But for retirement, is commuting an issue? If you avoid the 7-9am and 4-7pm time, traffic is light.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 am

One comment.

I know that it is anecdotal BUT ... I have found that retirees from the Northeast seem to prefer the Atlantic coast while Mid-westerners seem to prefer the west coast. I would agree that it is a good idea to rent for a while until you decide where you will be most comfortable.

I visited both coasts and decided that Arizona was more my thing.

magicj

Post by magicj » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:35 am

I'm 33 and moved down to Florida 6 years ago from the Northeast. I used city-data for info. I absolutely love central Florida and think it is a great place to live. I do travel throughout the state for work (sales) and have been pretty much everywhere in the state. I do mean everywhere..

Knowing what I know now about Florida, there are a ton of factors.

1. Do you have to be on the beach?
2. Have a certain group of people that you gather with/relate to?
3. What is your budget?
4. What are your hobbies?
5. Do you know anyone in FL?

If I was retiring now I would choose the Sarasota area. I wouldn't mind Clearwater/St Pete/Tampa but I don't see them as retirement. Not a huge fan of the east coast. There really isn't any one area that is desirable to me. I stay away from Palm Beach south...it's a different world.

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 am

jlawrence01 wrote:One comment.

I know that it is anecdotal BUT ... I have found that retirees from the Northeast seem to prefer the Atlantic coast while Mid-westerners seem to prefer the west coast.
I've lived in Florida for nearly 39 years and I can tell you there's an easy explanation for that. The highways from the midwest funnel into Florida's west cost and likewise highways from the Northeast to the East coast. Look at the map. This was even true before the Interstates, such as with Route 1 running all the way from Maine to Key West, right down the East coast of Florida. Also, the railroads were built that way. When I came to Florida in 1976 there wasn't much to the West Coast other than Tampa and St. Pete. Sarasota, Ft. Myers and Naples were still small towns.
Bruce

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Before you buy you should spend some time in various locations to see what you like
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm

bad78andy wrote:
nolesrule wrote: Pinellas and Hillsborough, as much as I loved the area, was just getting too crowded. Pinellas County has the highest population density of any county in Florida. There's a lot of commuters and only 16 lanes of bridges that cross the bay between the two counties.
But for retirement, is commuting an issue? If you avoid the 7-9am and 4-7pm time, traffic is light.
Sure, you can probably avoid peak commute times. But it depends on what you want to do for the day.

On the other hand, the population keeps increasing, and they aren't really solving the traffic problem nor developing mass transit. The traffic had really gotten worse in the last 5 years before we left and I expect it will continue to get worse, even with the complete rebuilding of I-275 through Tampa.

Don't get me wrong. I lived there for 38 years and I still consider it my home. And I worked from home so had no commute and I still hated driving around the last few years.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Gill wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:One comment.

I know that it is anecdotal BUT ... I have found that retirees from the Northeast seem to prefer the Atlantic coast while Mid-westerners seem to prefer the west coast.
I've lived in Florida for nearly 39 years and I can tell you there's an easy explanation for that. The highways from the midwest funnel into Florida's west cost and likewise highways from the Northeast to the East coast. Look at the map. This was even true before the Interstates, such as with Route 1 running all the way from Maine to Key West, right down the East coast of Florida. Also, the railroads were built that way. When I came to Florida in 1976 there wasn't much to the West Coast other than Tampa and St. Pete. Sarasota, Ft. Myers and Naples were still small towns.
Bruce
Gill is right. Route 75 goes from Michigan thru the Midwest down to the West coast of South Florida. Route 95 hugs the east coast all the way down to South Miami.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

cyclinggirl

Post by cyclinggirl » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:33 pm

I grew up in Miami, moved to Gainesville then down to Venice and now live in Tarpon Springs. I would strongly suggest you rent first and for at least one year. This past month we had over a week of rains and many new homes were under water and none of these homes had flood insurance as they were nowhere near any water. I've found this area and especially St. Pete has a lot going on as far as restaurants, shows, waterfront homes and museums. We also have many trails for riding bikes, running and rollerblading. Weather is beautiful now but in the summer (June through September) it gets very hot and humid. I will say that Venice and Sarasota are also very beautiful and they also have a lot to do. Haven't lived on the other coast since I was younger but it's also beautiful but they do get harsher weather. Good luck.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:04 pm

I have always heard from people I know that Naples is the best place.

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:40 pm

rgs92 wrote:I have always heard from people I know that Naples is the best place.
Best place for who? I lived and worked in Naples for 30 years. Saw in the paper this morning Naples has about 750 real estate listings over $10 million. I moved out of Naples after I retired and now live 100 miles north of there and couldn't be happier. Naples is jammed with poor traffic planning and priced beyond the reach of all but the very wealthy. It is also the most isolated place in Florida other than the Keys. Do you really think this sounds like the best for anyone?
Gill

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:34 pm

My thoughts on Naples. I first went to Naples 25 years ago and have vacationed in that area (Marco Island) ever since. I liked the area and still do. But it has changed a lot. It used to be much less developed and you had views of the Gulf almost everywhere. I guess development was to be expected but anything near the Gulf is very expensive. Any house West of Rt 41 in Naples most likely is 700 k and up. Right on Gulfshore Boulevard 10M plus. Port Royal the sky is the limit. Sure you can still move to Naples and find a condo for 100-150k. Most likely you'll be 8 miles or more from the beach as development keeps creeping Eastward. Do I still like Naples? Sure, just bring a boatload of money if you want to live near the Gulf.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:51 pm

if you are thinking of living in a community/development setting, it would be best to either move to one where you know someone or get with new construction (they are building like it is 2004 again) where everyone is a new resident.
Look for golf or boating or tennis or university settings to occupy your interests.

Heard good things about Naples and Sarasota. I am an east coast guy and avoid the annoying stuff - which you will find anywhere - to enjoy a nice lifestyle.

Yes, rent first to get a taste of the environment. Take the plunge, you will find that you will acquire a whole new set of close friends. Life is strange, enjoy it...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:15 pm

nobody mentioned one of floridas best kept secrets. in my opinion it is paradise on earth. mums the word

yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:27 pm

There are too many aspects of "where to live" to provide a justifiable response.

I lived in Florida 9 years. I lived on an island on the Georgia coast 7 years. I have lived the last five years just north of Charleston, SC. Florida has it's positive and negative attributes. The most impressive is dealing with hurricanes. We had 3 direct hits in two years. We lived 3 miles inland, away from flood zones (an absolute must!). Hurricanes, like tornadoes and snow/ice storms wreak havoc on normal living, no matter how far you are from the beach. Current thinking by emergency management is shelter in place. You can buy/build safe rooms, but you will not want one in a flood zone, so avoid flood zones. Flood zone maps are available online usually through the various county websites.

Traffic is always a consideration, even where you live now. Real estate prices are always a consideration. Your preferred extracurricular activities are a prime consideration. There are many places in Florida which will provide an outlet for your activities.

First, you need to determine what your activities are going to be, then visit several areas that appear to have those activities available. Inland waters are plentiful and nice, but you share them with alligators (and snakes). The only safe place in a hurricane is somewhere else, so you need to be able to get away from your assets in Florida several days ahead of the rush. I would suggest locating in Northern Florida. You can then decide for yourself to stay or run. The state has passed codes that should be a help in times of hurricanes, but going without water and power for a week or two sort of disrupts life (and without air conditioning too).

Once you have your activities prioritized, google map the areas that look interesting to you and then wiki the towns/counties for demographic info. Then google those activities by name in those chosen locations. Go visit and see what it is really like. You can expect the town/county governance to be similar to wherever you are now. Taxes will be available as a comparison online. Expenses will be different in every location, some higher, some lower. Houses built to code since 2001 should be wind resistant based on the locale.

Studying and planning it out over the next 14 months should be an enjoyable process. When we left down there, there were more than 25 million people. It has continued to grow. Water draws the people. Stay away from flood zones. Condominiums in hurricanes can result in absolute financial disaster (repairs by committee). Some beaches have "restored sand" that is very different from natural sand deposited by nature, so go walk the beach.

Take money with you. Do not expect to bring it back. Have a happy retirement!
Last edited by yellowjacket on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowJacket

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:29 pm

pablolo wrote:nobody mentioned one of floridas best kept secrets. in my opinion it is paradise on earth. mums the word
Oh, come on. Tell us. Sanibel, Captiva, Boca Grande, Immokalee?
Gill

sheneron

Post by sheneron » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:33 pm

Why anyone would want to retire in Florida is beyond me. The place is so hot in the summer that you have to do everything before 7am and you are still dripping in sweat. After that, all you can do is sit inside or in a pool for the rest of the day.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Gill wrote:
pablolo wrote:nobody mentioned one of floridas best kept secrets. in my opinion it is paradise on earth. mums the word
Gill
Sloppy Joe's on Duval Street 8-)

slapstix

Post by slapstix » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Dee Stroir wrote:I grew up in Sarasota and moved to Michigan to raise my kids. It is a beautiful place to vacation, and many consider it a great place to live. I could not take the traffic, the tourists, and the tourist prices anymore. The population is increasing exponentially and all of the trees and wildlife are strip malls now. It is only going to get worse.

I would advise anyone looking to relocate there to go once in August to get a feel for how hot it is 6 months out of the year, and once in February to get a feeling for how traffic swarms when the population of town doubles each winter because of the snowbirds. A 10 minute drive in the summer takes 30-45 minutes in the winter. They can't build wider roads fast enough. 25% of the people on the road should not have a license because they are blind or medicated, and the other 25% don't care if you are late for work because they are on vacation and paid for it. That leaves 50% of the people who are local. You will notice them because they will be the ones that look angry when they drive.

Florida may be the place for you, but I would highly recommend visiting at several different times a year to get a taste of how it will be.
Funny, moving FROM Florida, TO Michigan.

Gill

Post by Gill » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:20 am

sheneron wrote:Why anyone would want to retire in Florida is beyond me. The place is so hot in the summer that you have to do everything before 7am and you are still dripping in sweat. After that, all you can do is sit inside or in a pool for the rest of the day.
Oh, really? I play golf three or four times a week year round in Southwest Florida and so do thousands of other people. Also, for many years I took care of my large property in Naples. Sure beats plowing snow!
Gill

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:06 am

I know several people who live in Cape Coral so I would recommend checking that...
Attempted new signature...

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:27 am

sheneron wrote:Why anyone would want to retire in Florida is beyond me. The place is so hot in the summer that you have to do everything before 7am and you are still dripping in sweat. After that, all you can do is sit inside or in a pool for the rest of the day.
That's why there are so many snowbirds...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Gill wrote:
Oh, really? I play golf three or four times a week year round in Southwest Florida and so do thousands of other people. Also, for many years I took care of my large property in Naples. Sure beats plowing snow!
Gill
NO. NO.
Yes, Florida is a terrible place to be, bugs, hurricanes, constant heat. Stay away. New York in the winter is delightful and summers, are a breeze. Lived there 65 years.

Yet, I somehow muddle through Florida weather and play tennis 4 times a week. And swim anytime of the year that I please. Bike everyday.

I am sure you can find a nice place to settle outside Florida. Keep looking...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Gill wrote:
Gill
Boca grande and sanibel are both pretty cool
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:24 pm

There can be significant temperature swings/differentials in Florida between summer and winter. I'd recommend you look carefully at that data and that may help you pick a more general area. ... from Naples to the south to Tarpon Springs to the north. Determine what type of community you want to be in.. a larger city like Tampa or Sarasota or smaller like Madeira Beach/Fort Myers/Naples.... etc. Do you want to be in town or on the water? House or condo?.. golf community? dock for your boat? There are lots of considerations.

I've been in Miami for 51 years now... moved here to go to U of M when my folks retired and we moved from Brooklyn. It's a far different town now and we have looked up the east coast to Cape Canaveral and west coast from Naples to Tarpon Springs. We have something in mind and if an appropriate apartment comes for sale in the building we will be leaving Miami.

Good luck.... no state income tax here. Definitely rent to try it out for awhile. Summers are hot but you get used to them. .. and then again, you can always escape to the NC mountains pretty easy by car. When I was checking areas I used Google Earth and Realtor.com to review areas and neighborhoods in certain price ranges. Hope it helps.
Last edited by midareff on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Meaty wrote:
Gill wrote:
Gill
Boca grande and sanibel are both pretty cool

Sanibel was pretty cool until it was cut in half by the hurricane about ten years ago and part of it (about half) is only reachable by boat now as far as I know.