Anything bad to say about the Lexus RX-350?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Anything bad to say about the Lexus RX-350?

Post by Browser » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Thought I'd take a look at one of these in my continuing quest for my ideal 5-passenger SUV. Before I get too crazy with this one I'm wondering what the warts are. Would love to hear from owners and others what they don't like about it and why it's not worth the upscale price.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

Rajsx

Re: Anything bad to say about the Lexus RX-350?

Post by Rajsx » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:41 pm

We have Rx350, it is a very comfortable vehicle to do long distance travel in. We bought a 2010 in 2014 & have not had any problems so far with 42 k miles on it.

Yes it is high priced, some for the Lexus batch, its perceived status & some for the perceived reliability of the Toyota Engine in them, the Auto Review Experts also mark it as a good buy.

All in all, a good car, .......a expensive good car........
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Not sure I like the redesign for 2016 but the 2015 looks great and the options and packages make it first class IMO .

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:44 pm

I have a 2008 and would say it's the best car I ever owned. Comfortable and easy to drive with luxury interior. It has 119,000 miles, looks brand new and has never had a repair. I'll buy another when this wears out but fully expect that to be years away.
Gill

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:47 pm

under the skin its just a highlander. what makes it worth the 10k premium?

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:15 pm

I just both one. The deals on the remaining 2015 are excellent. We also are unsure about the redesign which might be too big. You can't beat Lexus quality.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:29 pm

miles monroe wrote:under the skin its just a highlander. what makes it worth the 10k premium?
The "L" on the front and rear. :happy
Gill

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:03 pm

We owned a 2004 Lexus RX 330 and just bought a 2015 Lexus RX 350. The RX 330 was the best car we ever owned. We gave it to a granddaughter who we expect will continue to drive it for years. So far the RX 350 is even better. The only complaint I have with both is it is very hard to see out of the back. The backup camera on the 2015 makes this much less of a problem.

Anyone who thinks it is a Highlander under the skin has never owned one.

plannerman

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Anything Bad to Say about the Lexus RX-350
It's a MiniVan. If you can live with that.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:15 pm

Gill wrote:
miles monroe wrote:under the skin its just a highlander. what makes it worth the 10k premium?
The "L" on the front and rear. :happy
Gill
Drive train wise, they are the same. There is a lot more to a car than the drive train though. Sound proofing, interior materials, and options matter a heck of a lot. Are they differences you care about (a lot of people like the highlanders 3rd seat for the occasional needs, maybe you like nice leather and better sound proofing) and if they are worth it to you is a pretty personal choice.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:23 pm

BahamaMan wrote:
Anything Bad to Say about the Lexus RX-350
It's a MiniVan. If you can live with that.
I would say they more like a station wagon:) Frankly this is true of pretty much all of the cross overs out there. Now they can be very nice station wagons and they are often the right tool for the job.

All of the RXs alternatives have pluses and minuses. You can get the MDX and get a 3rd row. BMW or porsche and be more sporty. Audi and be a bit more stylish and so on but the RX is a very solid choice for someone looking for a 5 seater crossover unless they have a specific need like off roading or the 3rd row.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:44 pm

The bad? It's boring and ubiquitous. Those are pretty tame negatives, and I wouldn't have gone wrong by concluding my crossover shopping with an RX. I feel as though about 50% of the cars I see on the road are RX'es (obvious exaggeration - though maybe not by much), so I ended up with a used Volvo XC60 - not a rare car by any means, and certainly no sports sedan, but it fit what I was looking for while being a bit different.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:11 pm

knowledge wrote:The bad? It's boring and ubiquitous. Those are pretty tame negatives, and I wouldn't have gone wrong by concluding my crossover shopping with an RX. I feel as though about 50% of the cars I see on the road are RX'es (obvious exaggeration - though maybe not by much), so I ended up with a used Volvo XC60 - not a rare car by any means, and certainly no sports sedan, but it fit what I was looking for while being a bit different.
What year is your XC60 and how do you like the ride? I've been considering one but felt the ride was a little stiff over bumpy and rough road surfaces.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:43 pm

knowledge wrote:The bad? It's boring and ubiquitous. Those are pretty tame negatives, and I wouldn't have gone wrong by concluding my crossover shopping with an RX. I feel as though about 50% of the cars I see on the road are RX'es (obvious exaggeration - though maybe not by much), so I ended up with a used Volvo XC60 - not a rare car by any means, and certainly no sports sedan, but it fit what I was looking for while being a bit different.
On my street, 10% of the cars are XC60's, 10% are Mercedes ML450's, and 40% are Lexuses. A Lexus is a beater car in my area. One can stop at a 4-way stop sign intersection and often see 5 Lexus RX's. They are relatively inexpensive, say under $30K for a 3-year old CPO version. Boring and ubiquitous is a pretty accurate description.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:02 pm

I know someone who 'always' buys them (every few years I guess it's a lease) and likes it for highway drives.
I think that if you really want to look for critiques/evaluations, probably a Lexus forum and/or car reviews like Edmunds which has owners' opinions (I forget the names of other review sites).
I never found those 'test drive' professionals helpful......real life reviews /comments from people here are very useful.
I have never even ridden in one myself ... just heard good things about them.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:52 am

We had a couple in our fleet. The cars were completely solid and were totally reliable. The resale value at 100k and 3-4 years was about 60% of acquisition price IF you have it properly equipped (with the NAV system).

The ONLY drawback that I saw was that some guys see them as "chick" cars.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:02 am

Excellent vehicles :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05 am

Browser wrote:
What year is your XC60 and how do you like the ride? I've been considering one but felt the ride was a little stiff over bumpy and rough road surfaces.
It's a 2014 T6 AWD, with 26k miles. Ride quality? I"m coming from a Maxima, which had relatively low profile tires, and that was definitely stiffer than this, so stiff ride quality isn't something that I was concerned about. I will say that the RX is a larger vehicle than the XC60, which is more compact. I too was looking for a 5 passenger SUV, and another one on the list was the new Murano, which is significantly bigger than the Volvo, but the styling is definitely polarizing.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:19 am

I wouldn't say it's comparable to a minivan or station wagon because it really does not have that much room. It reminds me more of a slightly large, slightly morphed Sabb minus all of the problems.
Last edited by GoldenFinch on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Z

Post by John Z » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:18 am

Wife and I shopped several months for our first SUV (retired empty nesters with a winter place in FL). Many test drives, conversations with dealers, price checking, we determined that Lexus RX-350 and newly styled Nissan Murano were the short list.
Both are excellent vehicles but we weren't willing to pay 10-15K or more for a similar vehicle so we chose the Murano. The ride is comparable, the Murano seats are more comfortable (for us). Plus, a Nissan dealer in central FL was discounting the Murano by $7000 off MSRP whereas no Lexus dealer would budge more than a couple grand.
For what it's worth.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 am

Leesbro63 wrote:I just both one. The deals on the remaining 2015 are excellent. We also are unsure about the redesign which might be too big. You can't beat Lexus quality.
Just how good are those deals on the 2015? That's what I'd get because the restyled 2016 looks hideous with Toyota's new ugly front end grille treatment.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:14 am

Browser wrote:Would love to hear from owners and others what they don't like about it and why it's not worth the upscale price.
Worth is always highly subjective. The only thing I don't like about the RX 350 is that it isn't as smooth, quiet or as fuel efficient as the RX 450h but it doesn't come with the higher price tag either.

You can poll others but you really have to assess based on your specific needs/wants. As you see above there are those who would never consider the Lexus premium worthwhile over Toyota. Whether or not that's relevant to you is for you to determine.
knowledge wrote:The bad? It's boring and ubiquitous. Those are pretty tame negatives
Also subjective. I'm not especially fond of the ubiquity of the RX though I also consider it to be minor. IMO anyone looking for uniqueness from a mass produced product is doing it wrong. That said, I'm not buying a silver RX again when we go to replace ours.

Boring bothers me a bit more but I prefer vehicles that are much more driver oriented. If the budget allows I'll probably go with a Macan. Our RX is quick (in exchange for fuel) but handles like a barge. Despite that, it has been very reliable and we have really enjoyed owning it.
BahamaMan wrote:It's a MiniVan. If you can live with that.
It's a tall wagon. There seems to be some sort of stigma that Americans associate with station wagons but crossovers (tall wagons) are fine.