Verizon increasing rates on unlimited data plans; other options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
spartanap

Verizon increasing rates on unlimited data plans; other options

Post by spartanap »

I found out today that, starting in November, Verizon is going to increase their charge for unlimited data lines by $20/mo. I currently carry an iPhone for me, and another one for my wife, along with two basic phones for my elderly in-laws. I pay $175/mo for this set up. Any ideas out there for other options? Or is $215/mo for 900 shared min/ 1000 texts/12 Friends and Family numbers and unlimited data a fair price? I currently average around 3 gb of data a month. My wife probably uses a couple gb. I really don't want to get smartphones for my in-laws as I know they probably won't ever use them for anything besides phone calls. I guess all good things come to an end.
prudent

Re: Verizon increasing rates on unlimited data plans; other options

Post by prudent »

What are Friends and Family numbers?
Topic Author
spartanap

Post by spartanap »

Friends and Family numbers are numbers that don't count against your minutes.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Are you in an area where verizon is the only good option? I have T-Mobile and struggled with coverage when I in most of Montana and remote areas in Southern Utah. Verizon users seemed to have good coverage in those areas.

T-Mobile 4 line plan gives unlimited calling and texting with 1GB data on each device for $100. Your home area is USA, Canada and Mexico which is great if you travel to or have friends and family in those countries. No worries about minutes or roaming charges. Add data and the price increases. For example, if you go with 3GB data on primary line, the cost increases by $10 to $110. 5GB data on primary, 3GB on 2nd line for your wife is $130/month. Unlimited data on lines 1 and 2 and the default 1GB for lines 3 and 4 costs $160.

These costs assume you have paid off phones. BTW, there are no overage charges if you exceed your LTE data limit, speeds will slow down. I visit Canada quite frequently and it's great to be able to use my phone and cellular tablet without worrying about roaming charges.

If you have a cellular tablet, that can be added to your plan for $10/month which matches the data plan on your phone.

Not sure if your verizon phones will work with T-Mobile if they are unlocked.

Link to T-Mobile family plans page:
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html
Wiki
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

If you only use a couple GB per month each and own your phones outright or the contract has expired, the unlimited data plans are expensive relative to the metered plans.

For example AT&T offers 15GB and unlimited talk/text for 4 lines at a cost of $100+4*15 = $160. You can use basic phones on these plans, it just doesn't save much/any money.
I'm sure Verizon is similar.

Legally, Verizon cannot lock phones. So likely your Verizon phones are unlocked.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

If you just went on the new "Verizon Plan" it would be less expensive even before the new Unlimited Data surcharge.

Each phone $20/month for unlimited voice/text. 6GB for $60/month and 12GB for only $20 more at $80/month.

Four phones and 60GB/month for $140/month. You could even add a tablet for $10/month and it would just be $150/month.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

richardglm wrote:If you only use a couple GB per month each and own your phones outright or the contract has expired, the unlimited data plans are expensive relative to the metered plans.
+1 I had unlimited data plans for many years but had to get knocked off when I needed to add a phoneline to my plan unexpectedly. I was really worried when I signed up to a 4 GB per month plan with three smart phones but it has really been no problem at all. Almost everywhere I go has wifi which doesn't count towards data so once I get those set up so they automatically connect when I'm around, I only go through a couple GB per month even with three phones on it. I'm getting ready to upgrade my phones and stopped in at the local Verizon office just a couple weeks ago and they said that all plans were unlimited talk and text (assuming smart phone) and that the minimum plan was now 6 GB.
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

VOIP and Whatsapp have killed off metered talk and text plans. The carriers realize their only future is selling data and they know they must offer unlimited talk/text to be competitive.

The only use of an unlimited data plan is to stream Youtube, Hulu, and Netflix. I can't see how anyone who doesn't stream video could use so much data that the metered plans aren't cheaper now.

Also the metered plans often allow mobile hotspot features. Those are invaluable if you have to use your laptop somewhere randomly.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

Spirit Rider wrote:If you just went on the new "Verizon Plan" it would be less expensive even before the new Unlimited Data surcharge.

Each phone $20/month for unlimited voice/text. 6GB for $60/month and 12GB for only $20 more at $80/month.

Four phones and 60GB/month for $140/month. You could even add a tablet for $10/month and it would just be $150/month.
Do note that the $140/mo doesn't include device subsidy. Then again, I think Verizon might have already cut off the subsidies a while back for those on unlimited. Bonus, from what I've noticed, taxes are lower on the new style tiered data plans than on old-style minutes-based plans because there's no tax on internet. :D

Mind, if you already have unlocked GSM-compatible phones, you can get 4 lines on Cricket Wireless for as low as $100/mo. Cricket uses AT&T's network (and I think it might be a subsidiary of AT&T).
Last edited by hnzw rui on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
purpleKatz

Post by purpleKatz »

Verizon uses CDMA phones. If you want to keep everything the same (same phones, same network), you can always port your numbers to Pageplus - which is a Verizon MVNO. Their 5GB,unlimited plans are $55 and you can give your in-laws the $25 pay as you go plan (416 min/120 days) or $80 pay as you go plan (2000 min/1yr). $55+$55+$25+$25 = $160. These plans aren't taxed.
Last edited by purpleKatz on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

purpleKatz wrote:Verizon uses CDMA phones.
New phones, in particular those with LTE capabilities, have GSM hardware and come factory unlocked per agreement with the FCC on the 700MHz spectrum license.

In fact, with the iPhone 6/6+, Apple uses the same model for AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon (Sprint version has extra TDD LTE bands). With the 6s/6s+, it's the same model for Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon (ATT version has extra LTE band 30). New SIM-free iPhone models have both CDMA and GSM hardware and are whitelisted on both Sprint and Verizon so you can pretty much switch carriers at will.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

I use Ringplus for free minutes, sms and data. Works great for me. You must be in a Sprint - covered area. You can bring your own phone for free activation or buy one from them. See the threads on Fatwallet and Slickdeals.
d_green

Post by d_green »

spartanap wrote:I found out today that, starting in November, Verizon is going to increase their charge for unlimited data lines by $20/mo. I currently carry an iPhone for me, and another one for my wife, along with two basic phones for my elderly in-laws. I pay $175/mo for this set up. Any ideas out there for other options? Or is $215/mo for 900 shared min/ 1000 texts/12 Friends and Family numbers and unlimited data a fair price? I currently average around 3 gb of data a month. My wife probably uses a couple gb. I really don't want to get smartphones for my in-laws as I know they probably won't ever use them for anything besides phone calls. I guess all good things come to an end.
Hi. I'm also a Verizon Unlimited plan holder and I have another idea for you. You can possibly lock in your current plan pricing for another two years and thus not have to deal with that $20 price increase for those two years.

In order to do this, you'll need to get your unlimited data line out of month to month and back under contract. Now, Verizon officially stopped allowing people to renew their unlimited contracts while retaining the unlimited data in 2012. HOWEVER, there are enormous loopholes that exist that still allow you to do this. In fact, their is a whole internet subculture that exists to to teach people how to do this.

The most complete guide on how to do this can be found here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-verizon ... c-line?v=1

I know that guide can look ridiculously complex, but people on that forum are very helpful. I just was able to get my unlimited line back under contract one week ago and get a subsidized iPhone 6s as well. I can help you as well if you want to post more info about your line situation as the methods to be used vary widely depending on your particular circumstances. I can't guaranteed you'll be able to do this, but the chances are good.

Btw, if you want to read more about the contract loophole, you can check out this:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/10/0 ... d-to-know/

Here is the relevant section:
If you have an unlimited data plan and are still under contract, this price increase won’t affect you. However, once your contract expires, the increase of $20 will arrive, and you’ll have similar options to those outlined above, or whatever Verizon is offering at that time.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

If you're a heavy data user (which includes, emails, web pages, audio and video streaming) the unlimited data plan with the $20 surcharge is a good deal. Verizon coverage, signal strength and customer service trump plans offered by other carriers.

I'm grandfathered into the plan. About once a month I get a call from Verizon offering to "save" me money on my plan (meaning switching plans and losing unlimited data). When I ask if a new plan includes unlimited data that ends the call.

The money is made on the data--if necessary Verizon will pay you to get a smart phone.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

spartanap wrote:I currently average around 3 gb of data a month. My wife probably uses a couple gb. I really don't want to get smartphones for my in-laws as I know they probably won't ever use them for anything besides phone calls. I guess all good things come to an end.
With that data usage, how is paying more for unlimited a good thing? As stated above, you could switch now to a Verizon Plan and pay less. It doesn't include a subsidy but you'd pay $20/month less per smartphone which easily adds up over what would have been a 2 year contract period.
SiteScopeBound

Post by SiteScopeBound »

We don't pay more for unlimited... its 29.99.

Current plans:

S
1GB / $30
M
3GB / $45
L
6GB / $60
XL
12GB / $80
XXL
18GB / $100

Now, after the 20$ surcharge... We'll be at 49.99 for unlimited..

So, if you ALWAYS use less than 3GB, you could save 5 by going on the 3GB plan.

As you can see, in most cases you're better off with unlimited, even at the new 50 price point.

Best bet for anyone right now is to (in less than 30 days) become familiar with the slickdeals post, buy a new phone (with a subsidy (200$ off the price), and re-up your contract. Keep your unlimited until November 2017. (24months*20 surcharge=480$) So save 480 on data + 200 off the price of a new phone takes you up to nearly 700$ saved.

Or skip the new phone and keep unlimited, and spend 480$.

I re-upped my UDP 6 months ago, otherwise I'd do it now!
mkc

Post by mkc »

SiteScopeBound wrote: Best bet for anyone right now is to (in less than 30 days) become familiar with the slickdeals post, buy a new phone (with a subsidy (200$ off the price), and re-up your contract. Keep your unlimited until November 2017. (24months*20 surcharge=480$) So save 480 on data + 200 off the price of a new phone takes you up to nearly 700$ saved.
Thanks to those who posted about the slickdeals post. We are trying to decipher it since we have a couple of Galaxy SIII's we'd love to upgrade (to S5's) and each line has unlimited data that we aren't willing to give up.

Michelle