SUV recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Re: SUV recommendation

Post by Browser » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:48 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Browser wrote:I don't even want to image what TomatoTomahto is going to do with his Tesla -- but he probably never leaves the metro confines. :)
There is a Tesla service shop within 3 miles of my house. i have not left the Northeast via auto in many years, and there are loads of service and charging opportunities in the Northeast. Additionally, there is less to go wrong without a complicated internal combustion engine, transmission, driveshaft, radiator, etc. involved.
It's good that it is that close -- so you can push it in when it breaks down. :P
BTW, I've been having a heck of a time with the website for 3 days now. It times out every time I try to post. I have to copy my posts before I try to submit them so I can redo it several times. Anybody else? Really the suckiest it's ever been.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

Browser wrote:
yukonjack wrote:You seem to be leaning towards the Lexus so I would consider waiting for the redesigned RX350 that is due out at the end of 2015. It reportedly will have a third row of seats. It would certainly fit in the 50k to 60k range. Although given the RX's popularity you would probably be in for a wait. Also I would recommend researching CR rather than seeking anecdotal evidence from a small sampling of bogleheads.
Do you really want to be seen in THIS THING?

Good point.

Johno

Post by Johno » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:17 am

Dieharder wrote:This is yet another "What SUV should I buy question?" We are in the market for a seven passanger SUV / Crossover. We don't need off-road capabilities but don't mind having it. We do need AWD and must have 3rd row, although we will only use the 3rd row occationally.

I have 50K to 60K to spend on it. Here are the vehicles that I did test drive:
5. Lexus GX460 (going to see this weekend)
Long term car experience is kind of financial returns history. The further you go back the more data, but the more of a chance it occurred in conditions not relevant to today or the future. In same vein, we had a 2005 Lexus GX470, the predecessor model, bought new in '05, till we sold it in 2014, to our son, so I expect it to be in the family for years to come. So fairly long history but sort of different vehicle. But FWIW I was more satisfied with it than any other vehicle I've owned, really love the car we replaced it with but not a long enough history to compare. My wife liked the styling and didn't care about stuff like handling; was kind of a present for her. I didn't like either that much at first. But the car grew on me with its plush comfort, handling and performance good enough, got to be OK with the styling, and most of all the virtual complete lack of any problem over the whole time we owned it (mechanically just spurious engine check light from bad gas cap gasket, though also corrosion of the wheel finish eventually, replaced those with reconditioned ones when I replaced the tires).

EPA was 14/19 on that iteration, 'real' mileage was more like 13 locally driven mainly by my wife, 20 on long trips driven mainly by me (I beat EPA highway on most cars, maybe other people do too, but just as disclaimer), calculated from gas purchases, not the trip computer which tended to inflate the numbers. We used mid grade, could not tell any different in any aspect of performance v premium the way we drove the car.

To add if relevant, in its later years we parked it on urban streets where it could get buried in snow time to time. With the differential locked, it could drive out of any snow pile, just dig a path to the door, v. long and laborious dig-out required for front wheel drive sedan in same situation, also better than a Ford Explorer at that, though I couldn't compare it to every other SUV.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 am

Long term car experience is kind of financial returns history. The further you go back the more data, but the more of a chance it occurred in conditions not relevant to today or the future. In same vein, we had a 2005 Lexus GX470, the predecessor model, bought new in '05, till we sold it in 2014, to our son, so I expect it to be in the family for years to come. So fairly long history but sort of different vehicle. But FWIW I was more satisfied with it than any other vehicle I've owned, really love the car we replaced it with but not a long enough history to compare. My wife liked the styling and didn't care about stuff like handling; was kind of a present for her. I didn't like either that much at first. But the car grew on me with its plush comfort, handling and performance good enough, got to be OK with the styling, and most of all the virtual complete lack of any problem over the whole time we owned it (mechanically just spurious engine check light from bad gas cap gasket, though also corrosion of the wheel finish eventually, replaced those with reconditioned ones when I replaced the tires).

EPA was 14/19 on that iteration, 'real' mileage was more like 13 locally driven mainly by my wife, 20 on long trips driven mainly by me (I beat EPA highway on most cars, maybe other people do too, but just as disclaimer), calculated from gas purchases, not the trip computer which tended to inflate the numbers. We used mid grade, could not tell any different in any aspect of performance v premium the way we drove the car.

To add if relevant, in its later years we parked it on urban streets where it could get buried in snow time to time. With the differential locked, it could drive out of any snow pile, just dig a path to the door, v. long and laborious dig-out required for front wheel drive sedan in same situation, also better than a Ford Explorer at that, though I couldn't compare it to every other SUV.
This is the nub of why I buy Toyotas. I've not been disappointed. I get 21 highway in the 460 because its geared differently with a 6th speed, and I drive to extend the life of the vehicle, not to consume the brakes and transmission. :) As far as the EPA rating being lower, I've measure my mileage both with the computer and also with the measure the gas and caculate many times, so I'm not blowing smoke about the mileage. (I also can get 19.8 or so from my big engine Tundra on the highway. )

Regarding the Sequoia recommendations, I agree ....with the caveat that its a SUV for those who need space and towing capacity above all, and who don't mind "docking" instead of parking. Its size makes it non-nimble in parking situations.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 am

It might be that a vehicle actually designed to accommodate three rows of seats for adults is a better idea than a vehicle that isn't designed for that purpose. Sometime a person starts out with a particular vehicle type in mind and in the end it turns out what is really needed given the designs on the market is something different.
This is true, believe it or not, I am probably going to give up on the "need" to have a 3rd row. I figure I am probably trying to fit in everything and it may not work that way. Having a 3rd row is still a nice to have, but not needed for 95% of the time that I use the car. I am looking at the Mercedes Benz GLE at this point and like everything about it, if at all I get a 3rd seat SUV it is likely going to be Lexus GX at this point because of it's reliability.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:57 am

I realize at this point this thread has possibly reached its maximum useful value, but, I wanted to post an update as a reference to anyone who is grappling with such issues later on and it may come up in their search result.

After going through a full circle with my initial choices and even looking at a Mercedes Benz which was threatening to bust some of my intial criterias, commonsense wisdom lead me to have a look at the Acura MDX, and I was surprised by the fact that it wasn't something to be overlooked. The MDX is pretty well appointed and do have the third row room, more than some of the others I saw, and it has all the features and some more, all without paying bigger bucks than some of the competition.

Next, I went back and had another look at the Lexus GX 460 and did a head to head comparison. They both come about the same price for the options that I am looking at. So price is comparable. Driving experience is a different matter, since the MDX is more car like being a crossover with unibody structure, and it handles better and is sporty, on the down side through it has the infamous Honda/Acura louder engine noise/road noise. Lexus on the other hand, is very quiet and softer ride, but not very responsive on the steering and you sit higher with a body on frame construction that makes it a truck. Cargo space on the GX once third row is up is non existent, however, the seats fold independantly, giving option to seat six and leaving some cargo room, additionally, it allows much higher towing capacity compared to MDX.

I could do with either one of them quite comfortably over a long period of time given the reliability and low maintenance compared to competition. Now, it's just a question of whether I really want a car like Crossover or truck like SUV with serious snow and off roading capabilities. Either way I don't think it can go wrong, keeping fingers crossed.