How much did your roof cost?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
szmaine

How much did your roof cost?

Post by szmaine »

I am having my roof done. Here are my details. What are yours?

Total cost: $15,500

Cost per square:
$517

Materials:
Asphalt, IKO Cambridge architectural

Type of roof (simple/complicated):
complicated - cape with dining room addition and kitchen-L all coming together in a 3-way flashing nightmare, 2 shed dormers and a wrap around porch.

Pitch: unknown, but walkable for those who don't mind that sort of thing.

Squares:

Tear off: yes

Extras:
residing one large dormer with materials I have on hand.

Region:
NE

HCOL/LCOL:
LCOL

Comments:
Average for my area is $4.25-4.50 per sqft, mine comes out to $5.17 per sqft but includes residing the dormer.
hicabob

Re: How much did your roof cost?

Post by hicabob »

2 years ago - 40 squares - tear off old cedar shingles, nice asphalt arch. shingles for new roof. 2 days carpenter for termite damage. New gutters and flashing. Big but easy roof. Right about $20k. CA so HCOL. ... I did have 40 squares 1/2" plywood sheathing installed over the old intermittent doug-fir shake sheathing so that explains some of the cost.

Roofing is very hard work - lot's of foot-pounds of material, hard physical work and the elements on you all the time. I did my garage 10 years ago but I think I'm done roofing.
Last edited by hicabob on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

szmaine wrote:I am having my roof done. Here are my details. What are yours?

Total cost: $15,500

Cost per square:
$517

Materials:
Asphalt, IKO Cambridge architectural

Type of roof (simple/complicated):
complicated - cape with dining room addition and kitchen-L all coming together in a 3-way flashing nightmare, 2 shed dormers and a wrap around porch.

Pitch: unknown, but walkable for those who don't mind that sort of thing.

Squares:

Extras:
residing one large dormer with materials I have on hand.

Region:
NE

HCOL/LCOL:
LCOL

Comments:
Average for my area is $4.25-4.50 per sqft, mine comes out to $5.17 per sqft but includes residing the dormer.
Waiting to have new roof installed. Quote was $10k, tear off, walkable, single story about 2000sf house with sunroom addition and garage extension sticking out the back "figure F", architectural shingles, 30lb felt, ice shield on lowish pitch 4/12 garage extension between sunroom and garage, reflash chimney and garage roof where it meets the house, LCOL mid-south region.

One thing I had heard was it is better to have them manually nail shingles (no nail guns). Owner told me they do it by hand so they know if the nail doesn't grab right or pierces the shingle (then they pull the nail, patch the hole and move over a bit). This reduces nail pops later, less chance of leaks and more accurate nail placement. Since speed to completion is how they make their money and hand nailing is slower than nail guns I don't think they have much incentive to lie (other than to justify a higher quote maybe).

This is a family business that I used 25 years ago when "dad" was running the business (which is 40 years old now). Now the son is running it and he's no spring chicken. I love it when I can find local tradespeople like this!
If I am stupid I will pay.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

In 2011 I replaced two roofs.

1600 sq ft 2 story townhouse done by a general contractor friend- $2250 This was the only bid.
4400 sq ft 3 story home done by a local roofing company with 50 year shingles - $14K This was not the low bid.

Hope that's helpful. Be sure to get more than one bid and ask detailed questions about the differences between what each company is going to do.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

"How much did your roof cost?"

Mine came with the house.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
DonM17

Post by DonM17 »

To the OP....last month I had the very same IKO shingles installed and the total cost (including removal of the old ones) was $6500 Canadian...works out to about $4500 USD. Looks like the contractors in your area are really making a tidy profit for themselves. I live in the Toronto area.
hudson

Post by hudson »

$4650
25 1/3 Squares...$183 per square
Tear off old shingles...repaper with 15 lb felt..install new vents, pipe collars, reflash and caulk chimney.
Install 65 feet ridge vent
Clean up and haul off...dump fee included
Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles...Asphalt/Architectural...limited lifetime warranty
The crew nailed down the shingles the old fashioned way...the installer said that's the best way.
Topic Author
szmaine

Post by szmaine »

Boy it really varies so much! My current bid is from a local fellow who did my highly respected and reasonable electricians house. He didnt refer me, he just told me he'd done his house when I asked if he knew of the man.
But I'm feeling a bit cornered by the lateness of the season, perhaps I should wait one more winter.

Not sure...I may find I've waited for nothing.
Thanks for all the feedback...I will definitely ask about the hand nailing.
hudson

Post by hudson »

szmaine wrote:Boy it really varies so much! My current bid is from a local fellow who did my highly respected and reasonable electricians house. He didnt refer me, he just told me he'd done his house when I asked if he knew of the man.
But I'm feeling a bit cornered by the lateness of the season, perhaps I should wait one more winter.

Not sure...I may find I've waited for nothing.
Thanks for all the feedback...I will definitely ask about the hand nailing.
Hand nail or staple...Angie's List

" Technically, it does not matter if a roofer hand or gun nails the asphalt shingles on your new roof. Both methods are approved by roof manufacturers, so there is no “right” or “wrong” way."

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/shou ... ingles.htm

Here's another link with a nice illustration...

http://www.donerightroofing.net/WeHandNail.htm
terran

Post by terran »

The only reason I can a nail gun being a problem is if the pressure is set too high and it blows through the shingles.
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Where you live will be a big factor in the final cost as will whether you choose Contractor A that treats your house like their own and pays attention to details or Contractor B that just treats it as another job. Contractor A's quote will be significantly higher than Contractor B's regardless of where you live however you get what you pay for in most cases.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

4400 sf roof, metal, walkable, over shingles, $11,000 in 2013. golf ball size hail caused zero dents
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
dm52

Post by dm52 »

Prices for roofing and everything else in construction vary widely by region, and based on other factors too. $500/square for tear-off, disposal, and new architecturals is right where you'd be in my market, near Seattle.

The main questions I would ask are 1) is the roofer going to remove and replace all metal flashings, including everything that's embedded behind siding, and 2) is he running legitimate payroll with everyone on worker's comp? I'm a general contractor who does a lot of problem-solving work, and many of my customers have had their roofs replaced by someone who tried to reuse the existing flashings because they didn't want to remove siding. Sounds like your guy is planning on re-siding a dormer, but are there any other roof-to-wall junctions? And, a contractor who is paying his guys cash could be exposing you to a lot of risk if someone is injured. IMO better to verify worker's comp on everyone, if you can. I pay about $7 per man-hour in workers comp premiums anytime we do roofing.
Topic Author
szmaine

Post by szmaine »

I'm going to see if I can negotiate more bang for my buck. I'd be happy with this price if he included sheathing over the old boards (1840's post and beam) - but he is waffling over doing that at all and I really think it should be done. Either way it's not included currently.

He is redoing all the flashing and using a considerable amount of ice and water shield down. I doubt materials are more than 4K.
fandango

Post by fandango »

2100 square foot home, 30 year architectural shingles = $1600
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

2300 sq ft home, not sure how big the roof is. Has three levels, but no gables or anything.

$14k last summer. tear off. Corning architectural shingles (50 year warranty). walkable pitch.

Also, replaced damaged section of gutter, added screens to gutters, installed whole house fan and bathroom fan.
Topic Author
szmaine

Post by szmaine »

fandango wrote:2100 square foot home, 30 year architectural shingles = $1600
serious? or missing a zero?
Topic Author
szmaine

Post by szmaine »

szmaine wrote:I'm going to see if I can negotiate more bang for my buck. I'd be happy with this price if he included sheathing over the old boards (1840's post and beam) - but he is waffling over doing that at all and I really think it should be done. Either way it's not included currently.

He is redoing all the flashing and using a considerable amount of ice and water shield down. I doubt materials are more than 4K.
OK I got him to agree to install osb over the boards, I'm happy with that I guess...I really want it done this fall.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Two years ago last May, hail and wind did in our shake roof. Totaled roof. Insurance paid for new. $27,000. paid in full by insurance company. 57 squares Including new wider gutters, and downspouts. DaVinci makes great roofs. Tough as nails.
Link http://www.roofingstore.ca/DaVinci.htm Most important thing a roofer whose done some, and has reffrences.

When done right, you wouldn't need a new roof unless a tornado hits. Then the whole house goes with it. 200mph roof, baseball sized hail resistance. Man made material. They are out of Kansas City.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
wxz76

Post by wxz76 »

1500 sft Landmark architectural = $4,800 in Northern VA.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Just had corrugated bitumen replacement on 1200 sq ft hip roof last month:

Remove all clay tiles and batons, repair rafters, install full timber deck and waterproofing, new batons and install onduline - cost was USD3,000.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Replacing a 30 square roof in 2001 cost me $5K in materials/delivery
tear off tools, disposal
rental of trailer and scaffolding
architectural shingles,
delivery to roof ( a square means 3 bundles, so 90 75 pounds bundles. I wasn't carrying them up a ladder.)
roofing nails
30 # tar paper underlayment
ice dam preventing membrane for edge of roof
drip edge
a few sheets of plywood for repairs
flashing for valleys
new roof vents with gaskets
step flashing where roof met vertical walls.
Misc: speed square, blades for box cutters, staples, etc.
Tarps to cover house in case of rain (Of course it rained even when none was forecast, plywood is slippery when wet!)

Labor: self/brother/wife/son Took four 12 hr days. Repaid brother by having myself and son help on his house the next year.

Consider how much you might pay not to have to do 2 roofs with 4 people each a total of 8 HARD 12 hour days.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

A couple examples from this year...

Sold my rental in CO and the roof had hail damage. Replaced the roof on a 1400 sq ft two level home with standard shingles for about $6500.

Replaced the roof on my home in WA due to leaks last winter and never wanting another drop of water coming in through the roof again. For my 1000 sq ft rambler with a standing seam metal roof it was about $18k.

I didn't do any of the work myself. I think material choice and location plays a big part in it.

Even at that though, some of the costs listed are about unbelievable. What, are some of you roofers that get the products at wholesale and do it yourself???
tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 »

22k. Asphalt roof with lifetime warranty. Not sure how many squares
bhmlurker

Post by bhmlurker »

$7300. 27 squares of Certainteed Landmark (previously 30 yr product, now "lifetime") in LCOL midwest. 3 roofers nail gun'd 12 hrs on day 1 then 4 hrs on day 2. Pitch was approx 7-12 and roofers walked. Included tear off, disposal, ice water shield, synthetic felt, and adding two soffit vents. I got quotes from three top reviewed on Angie's List for my town and they came in at 6500, 7300, and 9750.

Beware that impact resistant shingles may not give you enough home insurance discount to be worth the extra cost. Also, lifetime warranty shingles often do not cover hail (that's your home insurance) and only cover labor for the first 10 years, then it's material-only and prorated (unless if you pay for extra coverage per square).
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

In 2010:

$4750, 1000 sq ft ranch, hip roof. Owens Corning ~30 years shingles. All bids were around the same price, I negotiated $500 off the bid.
Candor

Post by Candor »

5/13/15:

Four thousand, one hundred, twenty-eight and no/l00 dollars ($ 4,128.00)
1. Remove the existing roof and haul from the job site,
2. Inspect the decking for any damage or deterioration.
3. Install (GAF ice and water shield along the gutter line and around all penetrations as per the manufacturer's specifications.
4. Install llhitto Synthetic Underlayment on the remainder of the roof asi per the rnanuficturer's specifications.
5. Install GAF Pro-Start starter strips along all rakes and eaves as per themanufacturer's specifications.
6. Install (GAF Timberline HD Lifetime architectural shingle as per the manufacturer's specifications.
7. Install GAF Seal a Ridge caps as per the manufacturer's specifications.
8. Install new chimney flashings and sealant.
9. Install new vent pipe collars.
I 0. Clean up the job site and run magnetic bar over yard to pick up any loose nails.
I I . Clean out all gutters and downspouts of all trash and debris.
12. Issue our standard five-year workmanship guarantee.
13. Issue (GAF weather stopper System plus Limited Lifetime Material warranty.
If we find any damaged or deteriorated decking, we will replace 1/2" plywood for $ 55.00 per sheet and/or replace 1',x 6,, decking
boards for $ 4.50 per LF.

1300sq ft ranch. $700-$900 less than the other two contractor bids. They did quality work.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
thomasj

Post by thomasj »

How come you're not getting quotes from others also? Even if he's the guy you want to use, the easiest way for you to see if his quote is really too expensive is to get others to tell what they'd charge for the same job.
Just my two cents
CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 »

5-6k is a good price for a good roof.

Anything over, is them gaining extra profit off of you.

This information comes from my personal contractor whom I highly trust.
SteadyAsSheGoes

Post by SteadyAsSheGoes »

It varies completely by location.
Last edited by SteadyAsSheGoes on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borisdavenport

Post by borisdavenport »

I don't think we will get an absolute answer for this question! rates vary with areas.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I just had a couple of shingles of my roof repaired. I'm waiting for a written estimate for the replacement.

The repair was $150 and the quote for the entire roof was $5600..

How many quotes did you get when you had your roof repaired? What process did you use to pick between providers?
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Wow. Always amazes me how cheap labor is outside of New England... I also get a chuckle when people say every roof "should be 5,000" regardless of size, type or the local labor rates :oops: I'd like to see you replace a slate and copper roof on a 10,000sq ft Queen Anne Victorian in New York City for that number he he he he he....

Total cost: $5,500

Cost per square: $600+ ???

Materials: Asphalt, GAF 30 year architectural w/ GAF feltbuster, 6 ft of Ice and water shield, galvanized drip edge, etc.

Type of roof (simple/complicated): simple gable

Pitch: 10/12

Squares: 6 ?

Extras: structural repairs - Replaced 50 board feed of damaged ledger board sheathing, relpaced a 20ft 2x6 collar beam

Region: Boston

HCOL/LCOL: HCOL

Comments:
This was an insurance job replacing the roof on my 20x20 detached garage after a tree fell on it. I dont have the detailed breakdown but I guess about $1500 of the total was structural work and carpentry so figure $4000 to replace the roof. Doing my entire house would have been at least 15k.
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
tioscrooge

Post by tioscrooge »

Just installed an aluminum roof, standing seam
on total 1800 sqft roof area.
Cost 12,500 plus tax.
Whether you think you can or you can not, you will be correct.
fittan

Post by fittan »

Replaced in 2012 for $5600. Disclaimer...6 of my neighbors replaced roof together thus we were able to negotiate a better price. I am from MA.

Here are some details:
- House is 2 story colonial 1700 sq feet.
- Contractor is GAF certified master elite
- GAF architectural shingles. 50 yr material warranty, 25 years labor.
- Installed ridge vent.
- Installed "drip edge"
- Warranty transferable (once).

To me besides the price, I think 2 thing is very important...first make sure the contractor is certified. The warranty on the roof is dependent on who installed it. If you choose a "fly by night" contractor and roof starts to leak/deteriorate in 5 years and you want to claim warranty then, you may have to proof that shingles were installed correctly etc.

Second, the ability to transfer warranty is invaluable when you sell your house.
Beach

Post by Beach »

$1K Insurance deductible. Had a hail storm in Florida and got my roof replaced for free. I wasn't even aware of the storm until I searched the NWS. You can check with the National Weather Service website and search by day and see if there was any reported events. I'm not suggesting insurance fraud here, just giving you ammunition you can refer back to if they ask when it happened.

My roof was 20 years old, I thought there was no way I was getting a new roof. I was wrong!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Architectural concrete roofing tiles. Lifetime. Big big bucks. :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
pindevil

Post by pindevil »

Replaced the underlayment on tile roof in 2014 for 4000sq ft. and that was $13K. As another poster mentioned the concrete tile lasts forever but underlayment needs replaced every 20-30yrs.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

wxz76 wrote:1500 sft Landmark architectural = $4,800 in Northern VA.
2,000 sqft southern VA - lifetime architectural shingles = $5,500
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

Last house: $17,000 to remove two layers of asphalt and the original wood shake from 1920s. Then put up new plywood, underlayment, flashing and new asphalt. About 25 squares. That was 10 years ago.

Current house: Don't ask. New slate roof. 100 squares. Doh!
mrc

Post by mrc »

NYC_Guy wrote:Current house: Don't ask. New slate roof. 100 squares. Doh!
10000 sq ft roof? That's some house.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

mrc wrote:
NYC_Guy wrote:Current house: Don't ask. New slate roof. 100 squares. Doh!
10000 sq ft roof? That's some house.
Remember the movie Money Pit? I bought that house. :oops:
nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark »

bengal22 wrote:"How much did your roof cost?"

Mine came with the house.
I was going to say, roughly $250,000, but it came with a house attached. Har har har.
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Last roof replacement I was involved with was at the workplace. Slate with copper flashing. Tear off. Cost was $277,000.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Last house, about three years ago, 43 square for just over 13 k in the Midwest for architectural shingles
emoore

Post by emoore »

$2000. My deductible. Never paid full price for a roof.
jcar

Post by jcar »

3800sf 30 year architectural roof, $4400.00 two years ago. I have 3 valleys and three vents through roof. Used nail guns which I don't think matters. If your staying for the duration at this place you might consider a metal roof. I installed a metal roof myself on an 1800 sf house myself no problem. Hand nailed this and it should be there forever $900.00 roofing, nails, vent kit, everything. This goes on real easy. Also did a boathouse in metal. Took about two hours.